Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Grevious from Clone Wars (2003) was awesome and scary, watch from 1:03:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk9lPotcW4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What's interesting is that, when you assumed you were being challenged about special effects, you immediately switched the topic characterization - which has pretty much nothing to do with the quality of the special effects. Then you started describing the plot of the film.

The matte painting itself is vaguely described as "dramatic".

This first started with you, at the very least, heavily implying that the prequels made good use of CGI and limited practical sets. I disagree. However, let's just say we both agree that the PT had a combination of amazingly immersive CGI and practical effects that visually fit each scene perfectly. The point is that it's very difficult to just take a visual effect, such as a piece CGI in the case of the prequels, and treat it as though it exists in a vacuum. The effect exists to serve the scene, to serve whatever plot or character development that's occurring. If the audience doesn't find that plot or character interesting and can't invest their emotions in what is going on then the special effect, as good as it might be, falls flat. That's why I started describing the plot of the film, or rather that one scene.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 5, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

When he posts images without any context or comment don't loving reply to him or attempt to analyze what he's posted it's god damned bait.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

When he posts images without any context or comment don't loving reply to him or attempt to analyze what he's posted it's god damned bait.

Star Wars just brings out the inner sperg in me and I couldn't help it. I need to go to sleep anyhow.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

All these shots look better than Force Awakens. Two are sets, two are CG (I think; it's often impossible to tell), and they all display a consistent aesthetic. The massive CGI machine has more detail than the real-world staircase.

I much prefer the energy of The Force Awakens, than the static locked down look of the PT.

Although, I really liked the way Empire looks, despite being quite locked down. It's got some fantastic mood lighting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all think Snoke will be real dude or CGI when he shows up for real? I read somewhere that the filmmakers said he's about 7 feet tall, so real dude is possible.

I'm rather hoping that Snoke will be literally as large as his hologram when we finally see him in the flesh, just because.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This first started with you, at the very least, heavily implying that the prequels made good use of CGI and limited practical sets. I disagree. However, let's just say we both agree that the PT had a combination of amazingly immersive CGI and practical effects that visually fit each scene perfectly. The point is that it's very difficult to just take a visual effect, such as a piece CGI in the case of the prequels, and treat it as though it exists in a vacuum. The effect exists to serve the scene, to serve whatever plot or character development that's occurring. If the audience doesn't find that plot or character interesting and can't invest their emotions in what is going on then the special effect, as good as it might be, falls flat. That's why I started describing the plot of the film, or rather that one scene.

So... you don't actually care about CGI, because you watch Star Wars for the plot.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm rather hoping that Snoke will be literally as large as his hologram when we finally see him in the flesh, just because.

Incoming 20ft lightsaber

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

starkebn posted:

Grevious from Clone Wars (2003) was awesome and scary, watch from 1:03:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVk9lPotcW4

Darth Maul should of been the main antagonist for the entire prequels. Stupid 'villain of the month' storytelling may of been in line with the Flash Gordon Star Wars inspiration but it sucks is telling an arching story spanning 3 movies. Build the dude up as being really loving strong and powerful and have Anakin/Darth Vaders triumph over him seal his fate in his fall. Dooku was an interesting character but totally underutilized and Grevious was an interesting toy design, nothing more.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

TPM is actually the best prequel because it at least had some effort put into it, misguided as it was. I've never seen an entire production phoned it in quite like AoTC.

On a related note I just spent a large amount of time browsing Te Force.net forums for the first time in nearly a decade. I thought there might be some interesting insight or discussion on at least some topics. Ho. Ly. poo poo. I don't think I've ever been more irritated by an internet message board as I am now. And I sometimes browse Free Republic. Between the people who literally can't understand basic story information that a scene is conveying and those who literally hate TFA because according to them it doesn't have the spirit and vision of George Lucas's creative imagination like the prequels did I think I've gone insane.

Ugh I loved this movie but gently caress Star Wars, should have just died a slow death along with Lucas. And this coming is from a fan of a good bit of the old EU.

I randomly ended up there to, and yeesh. Apparently Finn is Jar Jar Binks and did nothing. This is what I learned.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Maul isn't a strong enough character to carry an entire trilogy. I would have rather seen Dooku running things. He's in the shadows in I, reveals himself in II, and finally dies in III more or less the same way. The revelation at the end of II that Dooku was really working for Sidious the entire time highlights the blindness of the Jedi, as their attachment to the Rule of Two prevented them possibly entertaining the notion that Palpatine was behind it all.

Maul and Obi-wan are complete non-characters in TPM. Maul is a silent enforcer out for revenge against the Jedi. Obi-wan is a boring, racist rear end in a top hat with no empathy or connection to the living Force. Jar Jar is a "thing" and he worries that they've brought another "pathetic life form" on board. He refers to Maul as an "it" when it was clearly some guy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Darth Maul owns.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Maul isn't a strong enough character to carry an entire trilogy. I would have rather seen Dooku running things. He's in the shadows in I, reveals himself in II, and finally dies in III more or less the same way. The revelation at the end of II that Dooku was really working for Sidious the entire time highlights the blindness of the Jedi, as their attachment to the Rule of Two prevented them possibly entertaining the notion that Palpatine was behind it all.

Maul and Obi-wan are complete non-characters in TPM. Maul is a silent enforcer out for revenge against the Jedi. Obi-wan is a boring, racist rear end in a top hat with no empathy or connection to the living Force. Jar Jar is a "thing" and he worries that they've brought another "pathetic life form" on board.

That (like all the other prequel trilogy failings) is entirely on Luca's poo poo writing and storytelling. Maul was much like ANH Darth Vader in that the second you saw him you knew he was an ultimate bad rear end bad guy. A non poo poo writer could of taken a visually interesting character they designed and gave him interesting things to say and do and given him a fun arc through the 3 movies.

There is lots of interesting stuff that people came up with for the prequels, too bad its all buried under the atrocious writing.

How much more interesting would it of been instead of Anakin going all Adam Lanza on the Jedi toddler trainees Maul gleefully slaughters them in front of Anakin, causing him to FLIP the gently caress out making him dive deep into the dark side powers he's been flirting with all along (with Palpatines encouragement). Because Maul is so strong and powerful Anakin needs every ounce of rage to fuel him. Just like when Luke starts to wail on Vader in RotJ but Luke then realizes he's losing himself and pulls back, except Anakin doesn't pull back. He lets go fully and begins to force lightning or some poo poo Maul, revealing himself to be stronger then Maul, and destroying him. That's the moment where Anakin fully embraces and feels the power of the dark side, realizes how strong it makes him, and he gleefully relishes in it.

That's way better then Mace Windu getting throw out a window or whatever the gently caress it was and its like poetry, it rhymes with the Luke/Vader fight in RotJ where Luke faces the same decision to destroy the emperors lackey and take his place.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Darth Maul getting set-up to be a bad-rear end then getting clowned on in the same film he's introduced sort of rhymes with General Grievous not even really challenging Obi-Wan in ROTS despite his supposed reputation to as a ~Jedi Hunter~

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I don't know if Obi-wan being kind of a useless poo poo head is bad writing per se. It drives home a certain point, doesn't it? He's the product of Jedi training. He's the star pupil of the Jedi Order and more than capable of passing the "Jedi trials" whatever those are. Yet he has no regard for life forms he considers inferior, so it's odd that he is tasked with training Anakin.

The opening of Clones tells us all we need to know about Obi-wan's training and the Jedi Order: it's turned a sweet, innocent kid who cares about his friends and wants to do the right things into kind of an rear end in a top hat.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I didn't mind Maul being beaten in one film. It reinforces the idea that the Sith were kind of a ramshackle, broken-down institution limping along on its last legs during the height of the Republic and the Jedi Order's militant vigilance. Maul was simply a minion, just one of many that the Jedi have defeated through the eons. His failure forced Sidious to step up his game, and makes Vader's success a bit more remarkable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darth Maul getting set-up to be a bad-rear end then getting clowned on in the same film he's introduced sort of rhymes with General Grievous not even really challenging Obi-Wan in ROTS despite his supposed reputation to as a ~Jedi Hunter~

Actually the 2003 clone ears series addresses this really well. There's a scene where Dooku is training Grievous. Grievous gets cocky and loses a mechanical arm. Dooku tells Grievous that he needs to have three things on his side to ensure victory against the best of the Jedi: fear, surprise and intimidation. If he is lacking even one of them, he should retreat.

Obiwan clowns Grievous because Grievous gets cocky again and engages Obiwan in a regular one-on-one duel. And obiwan is one of the best fighters in the Jedi order, so...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bigger Luke is one thing but why is Vader so much taller than Obi Wan where in the prequels Obi wan and Anakin are about the same height?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bigger Luke is one thing but why is Vader so much taller than Obi Wan where in the prequels Obi wan and Anakin are about the same height?

Vader later went on (d)roids.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I guess we don't need two Star Wars threads for SMG to poo poo up with his gimmick.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Unlocking this because I'm sure VIII set photos and whatnot will happen soon now that it's started shooting. Go nuts.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
HUGE spoiler from the blu-rey edition

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

James Cameron is directing this one?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:golfclap:

I know Harrison Ford had previously been announced as being in EP VIII before TFA actually landed. Is that still the case? I'd always assumed that it was a red herring to help combat death rumors, but I'm not ruling out flashback, force ghost, whispered voices or that he simply got better at this point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mortanis posted:

I know Harrison Ford had previously been announced as being in EP VIII before TFA actually landed. Is that still the case? I'd always assumed that it was a red herring to help combat death rumors, but I'm not ruling out flashback, force ghost, whispered voices or that he simply got better at this point.

Oh man, now that you say this I really hope there's some flashbacks of Kylo Ren's childhood or his turn to the dark side that flesh out both him and Luke while also giving Harrison Ford some screentime.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Are we gonna see some mid-90s Flashback Ford de-aging ala Michael Douglas in Ant-Man?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mortanis posted:

They said both Von Sydow and Ford would be back in Episode VIII. I really think that was just posturing.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Oh man, now that you say this I really hope there's some flashbacks of Kylo Ren's childhood or his turn to the dark side that flesh out both him and Luke while also giving Harrison Ford some screentime.

I don't know how much flashbacks work for Star Wars. I can't think of any in the OT or PT. Unless it's a force vision like Rey had in VII

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So is Laura Dern going to be Mrs. Luke Skywalker?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chippocrates posted:

I don't know how much flashbacks work for Star Wars. I can't think of any in the OT or PT. Unless it's a force vision like Rey had in VII

Star Wars is pretty strictly chronological except for force visions. And even then, those are usually visions of the future rather than the past.

Granted, I don't know where "Obi-Wan's exposition speeches" fit in there.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Toilet Mouth posted:

So is Laura Dern going to be Mrs. Luke Skywalker?

Or Rey's mom, who I'm still hoping isn't involved with the Skywalker clan in any serious way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

chippocrates posted:

computer parts posted:

Star Wars is pretty strictly chronological except for force visions. And even then, those are usually visions of the future rather than the past.

Granted, I don't know where "Obi-Wan's exposition speeches" fit in there.

I am ok with the new Star Wars doing stuff that wasn't in the old Star Wars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
DOUBLE!!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 15, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all think Snoke will be real dude or CGI when he shows up for real? I read somewhere that the filmmakers said he's about 7 feet tall, so real dude is possible.

I'm hoping the hologram is 1:1 and Snoke actually is like 30 feet tall. Realistically though I do hope they use a real actor, I still think he's going to turn out to be a Sith force ghost rather than a physically living character.

KaptainKrunk posted:

I like Jar Jar, but I think he overwhelms TPM. Obi-wan really does jack poo poo the entire movie. An odd choice, given how Binks fades away into obscurity and Obi-wan becomes the protagonist. TPM as a whole just feels very disconnected from what comes after, narratively and aesthetically.

The best part about TPM is that Anakin comes off as a sweet, caring, and genuinely good kid. Lloyd does a great job and it's a shame that people torn him to pieces for no discernible reason.

I was thinking about this and it may have been because of the scope of the clone wars. Before the prequels and the CG cartoon came out I do remember Lucas mentioning at some point that the clone wars itself would be huge. It makes me wonder if at some point he wanted to do more than a trilogy of prequel films, but after some reaction to Phantom Menace they jumped ahead ten years (was AotC the movie where the script was a single draft written by him on the way to the studio or whatever? I forget which one had the hyper rushed script).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Harrison is in Episode 8 its because they already filmed his scenes for it. No way they're able to even forcefully drag him back onto a Star Wars set.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They'll break his other leg to get him stick around.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Steve2911 posted:

I am ok with the new Star Wars doing stuff that wasn't in the old Star Wars.

Yeah, to hell with coherent themes and interesting characters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's going to be like any of the scenes in Highlander where Sean Connery's back is the camera or Christopher Lee in the Hobbit movies where it will be a double with Harrison Ford literally phoning it in over the phone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

wyoming posted:

Yeah, to hell with coherent themes and interesting characters.

Coherent themes and interesting characters, a rare phenomenon of the art of cinema only witnessed to date in the specific two or three Star Wars films I like real Star Wars movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope that Han Solo just appears in the new movie without any explanation and nobody remembering that he died in the previous.

• Locked thread