Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The biggest problem with ME3 is it produced these last 10 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Catalyst is just operating under the assumption that, given enough time, the probability of any event happening approaches 1. But it is only thinking about 'inevitable synthetic murder tour'.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey, there's a lot of activity in the thread, I wonder if some new information about Andromeda dropped!

:yikes:

So has anybody heard anything new?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DarkHorse posted:

Oh hey, there's a lot of activity in the thread, I wonder if some new information about Andromeda dropped!

:yikes:

So has anybody heard anything new?

Bioware looked at this thread and cancelled MEA out of shame.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Bioware looked at this thread and cancelled MEA out of shame.
If Talisweat couldn't do it, nothing will.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dan Didio posted:

If you absolutely wanted to tell a 'simpler, easier' Mass Effect trilogy, then it definitely would centre around the Geth being key to defeating the Reapers.

I was really hoping that would have been part of it. The Geth have technology that rejected the Reaper's "gifts" meaning that the Reapers haven't managed to develop countermeasures for it yet. This advanced technology unknown to the Reapers would have been a great place to start with when looking for a potential trump card.

That, alongside the assumption that faux-artistic bullshit would completely snow the audience like it did smug critics, is what really bugged me about this game: there were so many places the plot could have gone that were dropped for the most cliche, poorly-conceived options like Cerberus becoming Space-Cobra with infinite resources, the Reapers no suffering any negative impact from so many of their plans being disrupted, the Citadel control being ignored and so many other problems with this game's crappy writing.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its weird how people keep harping on the fact that the Reapers are wrong. It doesn't matter. The reapers think that eventually AI will destroy all Organics if given enough times. They are wrong, or maybe their right. Who knows, and it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that it is what they have concluded will happen and that's what they act on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one is talking about the Reapers but Shepard, who buys into their bullshit completely.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Why do so many arguements in this thread use the catalyst as any kind of basis? There is a homeless guy behind my apartments and he provides better logic and nuanced inquiry into Control vs Synthesis with enough Wild Turkey.
Let's assume for a second ME3 didn't end with the citadel DLC and the who Super Weapon Citadel thing isn't literally the worst and most insulting ending I've ever seen in a video game.
The Catalyst is a Reaper thing. This is backed up by the fact it's surrounded by Reapers and has an indoctrinated guy living in his apartment with him. It also says it's a Reaper before babbling garbage.

Reapers lie. Lie all the time, especially to stupid meatbags. ESPECIALLY to stupid meatbags when their domination plan is starating to crack and they need some idiot who has been gutshot to... do whatever it was Shepard did. I'm going to assume the three separate superweapons was some kind of injury hallucination, maybe he is reactivating the citadel gate for Reaper reinforcements.

Or maybe a Shepard is activating a failsafe to nuke the jump gates. That is actually a pretty good idea on the Reaper's part, since it immediately wrecks all government and major resistance. It would explain the three ending slides as Reapers Win (control), then they assimilate the useful ones (synthesize) then purge some rogue AI (destroy). Shepard dreams it all as he leads it in his Indoctrinated mind.

This theory actually works better then I thought it did at the start of writing this. It explains the Catalyst, the three "endings", and why the Reapers made sure the super weapon got built.

Basically the entire Citadel ending with the Catalyst is terrible on multiple levels. It wraps around and even manages to make 1 and 2 worse. It's like disecting The Phantom Menace and using it to explain the first three Star Wars.

Midichloreans: how did they affect Vader's actions in Empire? How did the memory of Jar Jar change Vaders thoughts of his son?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Doctor Borris posted:

Basically the entire Citadel ending with the Catalyst is terrible on multiple levels. It wraps around and even manages to make 1 and 2 worse. It's like disecting The Phantom Menace and using it to explain the first three Star Wars.

Midichloreans: how did they affect Vader's actions in Empire? How did the memory of Jar Jar change Vaders thoughts of his son?

It is interesting. Youtube suggested a LP the other day of ME1 and I clicked, not having played it in a long time (not even having an Xbox 360 to play it on anymore). I wish a game could come CLOSE to the way that game made me feel the when I first booted it up and played through the first two hours. The possibilities that game opened up is something we can't really appreciate anymore. It was a game-changer, similar to Morrowind but somehow more, because we still get worked up about the universe it created.

And as I was watching the LP and getting all nostaligic (there's a part where they watch an distress call and Soverign starts to land giving a Reaper horn/call) I remembered, "Oh ya, the payoff for this really really sucks."

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 15, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess a lot of people had problems with the ending or story but as a whole I think these pale in comparison to the actual largest flaw of Mass Effect 3 - namely, the fact that you can only equip 1 sniper rifle, meaning that you cannot take the cool DLC sniper rifle that fires explosives and the Geth sniper rifle that charges up bullets and released them with the force of a water laser or something.

I really wanted to have both at the same time. Sniping someone is really fun, but so is shooting a disk that explodes and kills everything around it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

It is interesting. Youtube suggested a LP the other day of ME1 and I clicked, not having played it in a long time (not even having an Xbox 360 to play it on anymore). I wish a game could come CLOSE to the way that game made me feel the when I first booted it up and played through the first two hours. The possibilities that game opened up is something we can't really appreciate anymore. It was a game-changer, similar to Morrowind but somehow more, because we still get worked up about the universe it created.

Regardless of how the ending is interpreted, the shitstorm it created must have had one hell of a deleterious effect on the Mass Effect brand and franchise as a whole.

It'll be interesting to see how much Andromeda does to bring people back to the fold.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The biggest problem with Mass Effect 3 is it assumes I care about the geth genociding organic, they should have done it IMO.

They should have been my boyfriends.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Milky Moor posted:

Regardless of how the ending is interpreted, the shitstorm it created must have had one hell of a deleterious effect on the Mass Effect brand and franchise as a whole.

It'll be interesting to see how much Andromeda does to bring people back to the fold.

People who play video games always cave. It's Newton's final law.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It'll probably be a transparent crowdpleaser anyway. I will hate it and only enjoy the gay romances.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Milky Moor posted:

I hated the ending and yet i already know i will buy Andromeda. Just like i always buy a new Football Manager game at release, even though for the past 10 years or so it has never been playable for the first six months due to all kinds of bugs.

:negative:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Same for me. I do it with each Assassins Creed to. I liked AC2 so much that each one i've bought after it and Brotherhood I have thought "I know they messed up the last one but THIS one might be where they turn it around!"

Although I wouldn't say the ending was great i'm not of the opinion that it is as bad as the internet says.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The ending for ME3 was actually very dumb.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Skellybones posted:

The ending for ME3 was actually very dumb.

But is it dumber than this thread?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think both the ending of Mass Effect 3, and this thread, kick rear end.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress are SMGs and Pistols even for anyways. The only benefit they offer are the Power Damage Increase mods.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's exactly the point, some of them work as poor mans' assault rifles, sniper rifles, or even shotguns for classes that want super fast power recharges.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I played the game all wrong, I just took a Venom Shotgun on my Vanguard and wasted the close-up advantage of Biotic Charge by only using my shotgun as a long-distance nuke.

I blame the changes to Biotic Charge that took away its time slow thing because I used a proper shotgun with Mass Effect 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alain Post posted:

I think both the ending of Mass Effect 3, and this thread, kick rear end.

:agreed:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I do not fear Mass Effect 3, and therefore love it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved The Ending.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
why did Legion set that big ol' Geth dreadnought to explode anyway

like Legion my dude, that thing appears to be the size of a small planet, it perhaps might be useful in soaking up a few Reaper blasts during the final battle

you could have just turned the power off you stupid robot

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Jesus Christ, this squad AI in ME2. "Get behind cover". "Okay". "Hey, you're ten feet away from us, you want us to join you? Now we're stuck in the open and won't take directions!"

:shepicide:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just beat ME2 again and making my way through 3. I don't care about the ending, or 3 not living up to expectations, as long as I get to hang out with my sweet rear end crew and finish it all off with a big rear end party, I'll play these games over and over.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Spikeguy posted:

as long as I get to hang out with my sweet rear end crew and finish it all off with a big rear end party, I'll play these games over and over.

This is the audience Bioware is targeting now, and it's drat sad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

sassassin posted:

oh come on

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Charlie Mopps posted:

I hated the ending and yet i already know i will buy Andromeda. Just like i always buy a new Football Manager game at release, even though for the past 10 years or so it has never been playable for the first six months due to all kinds of bugs.

:negative:

If MEA gets even marginally good reviews I'll snap it up in a heartbeat.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

something something patrick weekes jessica alba post

God, I dislike Patrick Weekes.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

sassassin posted:

Good. It's either target him or the Tali sweat boys

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if we'll ever get it, but I feel like the Universe they set up could support other genres. Some of those classes would fit nicely in a character action game. Or a Telltale style detective series playing as a C-Sec detective.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

something something patrick weekes jessica alba post

God, I dislike Patrick Weekes.

it was extremely messed up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It won't happen, but I am hoping for DAO quality writing and character arcs for MEA. Along with a conclusion that actually has something to do with the choices you made in the previous 40 hours.

Also, if you haven't played DAO, you should. It's awesome.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I kind of think the opposite - I mean without the citadel and the spectres and yoomanity and so on, how is it Mass Effect? May as well start a new IP, though I know that's a terrible marketing idea.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Oh look, 300 new posts, maybe there is new info about Andromeda

Welp.

If Dragon Age Inquisition is any indication, I doubt there will be much difference in regards to storyline quality to nu-Effect (is that the nickname for ME:A?). It will be better than ME3, probably. However, Bioware seems too stuck in their type of storytelling and I doubt that will raise the bar (even if it is *their* bar).

Playing Witcher 3 currently and holy gently caress, if Bioware and Bethesda are their main competition in that department, the Poles are beating the crap out of them currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Witcher 3 is god tier.

• Locked thread