Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If I had a do over, I'd go geography or enviro science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Now you fucks are coming around to geology? The gently caress was the love for it last year?

gently caress it, going to finish my degree down the Natural Resource Management path. Seems like a decent path to get into working for the government again.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's never been anything wrong with the natural sciences if you know the level of education and experience you need to do something with it, like all degrees.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Vausudus what I do with columbia MFA help

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Self-published dinosaur gay smut fiction

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
You probably heard about that big science discovery today. The one about gravitational waves or whatever

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/us/gravitational-waves-feat/index.html

I'm taking a physics class with one of the researchers, Marka Szabolcs. He's pretty cool.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Zeris posted:

Vausudus what I do with columbia MFA help

does your degree say columbia on it?

the gently caress else matters

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Geology is cool IMO. I really need to figure out what I want to major in before the summer's over though.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
sociology

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Do something with remote sensing. A. The work is cool and B. You'll make cool maps

This is kind of what I want to do, only I'm coming at it from the Electrical Engineering direction

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've been less and less enamoured with anything to do with computers because of how many grognards are in the field, and all the stories of dealing with retard customers in one way or another. Or as yospos calls it "computer janitor". Yeah gently caress it need to start doing some job field research. Remote sensing sounds cool.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
College taught me that the word "Homosexual" said by anyone who has a Southern accent while trying to be serious and/or respectful is the funniest sounding thing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish I had more earth science stuff. The USGS internship I applied for made it sounds like it was mostly GIS stuff in the job description, then sprung a bunch of last minute questions about earth science experience at the end of the application.

Booblord Zagats posted:

College taught me that the word "Homosexual" said by anyone who has a Southern accent while trying to be serious and/or respectful is the funniest sounding thing
There was a retard from Arkansas in my basic flight who went around calling people "Quails". Sorry for the basic story.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

i have both a BS and an MS in sociology

i am a non-clinical research SME that mostly focuses on methodology and data collection, at least when i'm working with my client

it's not a worthless degree if you work it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

i am a non-clinical research SME that mostly focuses on methodology and data collection, at least when i'm working with my client

How much are you getting paid?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

How much are you getting paid?

i will be breaking six figures next year when i get promoted, i currently make around 80k.

i should mention that i do other things, i'm just a research SME when i'm clientside

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

What he's saying is that he sucks dick off of Craigslist.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Vasudus posted:

does your degree say columbia on it?

the gently caress else matters

k, now, how i money

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vasudus posted:

Interesting

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Teflon Don posted:

Interesting

The overwhelming majority of my coursework in both undergrad and grad was a choose your own adventure, since the field is so broad. I went with research methods including classes involving actual research, both qualitative and quantitative, plus a healthy amount of statistics. I also jumped on any research assistant positions and got an outside short term independent contracting gig when I was a grad student doing program evaluation. Turns out that doing that makes you an excellent generalist for consulting/contracting with the big firms. I work mostly with clinical topics, but that's fine since I'm not rendering a professional opinion on them.

Unfortunately, since the field is so broad, you have loving morons doing things like gender related stuff or ~social justice~ and it gives people the general impression that it's a useless field with limited practical application.

I'm branching further out into project management now. My company basically gives you three options: you can stay where you are and they'll bleed you dry, you go into project management, or you do SME work. Project management is cool, so I'm getting my PMP and LSSGB this year, which is basically government contracting catnip.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mike-o posted:

I've been less and less enamoured with anything to do with computers because of how many grognards are in the field, and all the stories of dealing with retard customers in one way or another. Or as yospos calls it "computer janitor". Yeah gently caress it need to start doing some job field research. Remote sensing sounds cool.

You're going to run into retarded customers in every field. IT isn't very computer janitory once you get out of the entry levels; no idea about software engineering. With that being said, if you don't like computers from the get-go and only get into it for the money you'll probably hate it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Vasudus posted:

The overwhelming majority of my coursework in both undergrad and grad was a choose your own adventure, since the field is so broad. I went with research methods including classes involving actual research, both qualitative and quantitative, plus a healthy amount of statistics. I also jumped on any research assistant positions and got an outside short term independent contracting gig when I was a grad student doing program evaluation. Turns out that doing that makes you an excellent generalist for consulting/contracting with the big firms. I work mostly with clinical topics, but that's fine since I'm not rendering a professional opinion on them.

Unfortunately, since the field is so broad, you have loving morons doing things like gender related stuff or ~social justice~ and it gives people the general impression that it's a useless field with limited practical application.

I'm branching further out into project management now. My company basically gives you three options: you can stay where you are and they'll bleed you dry, you go into project management, or you do SME work. Project management is cool, so I'm getting my PMP and LSSGB this year, which is basically government contracting catnip.

Like every field that isn't explicitly STEM, the closer you are to the corner of your field that is STEM-related (such as research design & methodology and the more stats/quant side of sociology), the more employable you are. In every major there's some class that's really math heavy that 95% of the people in your major will say "gently caress that I'm not taking that poo poo, that's too hard/too much work." The other 5% of the people are the ones with jobs after graduation. Never not take the hard math class, that's what I've learned form 32 years of life, nearly 7 of which have been spent in college. Being able to do the thing that's too hard or complicated for other people to do it is sort of by definition the reason highly paid employees are highly paid.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Posting itt, been hammering away at a BS in Electrical Engineering since Fall '14. The school pays me to tutor students in C programming and a bunch of my fellow undergrads think I'm this wise old sage or something.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

software :airquote: engineering :airquote:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
The Cisco class is.. More or less the least intuitive class I've ever taken. But I'm not failing it at all, low 90's grade % wise.. I'm riding the train from Cisco I to Cisco IV and going for my CCENT and then CCNA and CCNA Security after II and IV and Security respectively. It's what I'm doing while working my way up from more remedial dummy math through hopefully to Calc II. If I can do that I can get into a pretty nice math heavy B.S. program at the local "good" school. If I'm doing Calc II to transfer into this other program I'm also taking the A.S degree in math because.. Why not? No extra courses needed. I know associates degrees don't mean much but whatever.

I'm hoping to get an A.A.S. In Networking and an A.S. In Mathmatics- getting my CCENT/CCNA/CCNA Security at the appropriate points- then I'm going after a B.S. in cyber security and digital forensics from the "good college". Cert paths from this program are CEH/OSCP and CISSP.

So I'm hoping to have a strong networking background going into a very programming heavy bachelors program.

And I'm looking to get relevant and desirable certifications along the way. I'm going into the Job market way older, so I'm trying to maximize my employability.

When I'm done with this first year of school I'll start trying for internships in IT. I'm not sure how to even begin this but I live in a largish southern city- the opportunities should be out there.

Also decided to do summer classes and be fully time year round. Because why not. :v:

Jesus loving Christ I'm hoping this isn't a retarded waste of bennies, and that these supposedly high paying high demand IT jobs exist when I'm done.

I have my doubts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Idk, only 25% of my team has a college degree and we all make well over $100,000 a year with CCNPs. Our principle architects with multiple CCIEs pull in north of 200k/yr with profit sharing. You may have to move away from St. Louis, though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Shim, have you considered dropping all of that tech gooey for a high-powered rhetoric degree?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Idk, only 25% of my team has a college degree and we all make well over $100,000 a year with CCNPs. Our principle architects with multiple CCIEs pull in north of 200k/yr with profit sharing. You may have to move away from St. Louis, though.

He hasn't been in St. Louis for, like, two years now?

Then again, it's not like anything south of St. Louis is worth a drat either.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Where do you have these jobs? I'm about to get my CCNA but might go somewhere else from there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Where do you have these jobs? I'm about to get my CCNA but might go somewhere else from there.

I work for a consulting firm in the DC area, although we do projects worldwide. I definitely recommend going for your CCNP after you finish the NA.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

McNally posted:

I'm thinking about going back to school this fall and I'll be living with my parents and pulling that GI Bill money.

I mean, the BAH in this area is poo poo but it's better than nothing.

Are you honestly in a good enough way to add school to your plate?

Something to honestly consider. School is always gonna be there, take your time. Grief stuff is a real doozy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Are you honestly in a good enough way to add school to your plate?

Something to honestly consider. School is always gonna be there, take your time. Grief stuff is a real doozy.

That's a valid concern. I'm going to get the ball rolling so that if I am doing well enough by the time classes start, I can go ahead and start. August is a ways off.

But honestly, if I'm not well enough for college I'm probably not well enough for even a menial job and I need something resembling an income.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Also decided to do summer classes and be fully time year round. Because why not. :v:

I did this and now I'm burned out as gently caress two years in.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Going to school all year is good if:

You need the money
You can take advantage of things not offered during other terms (internships++)
You have a job waiting for you

If none of these apply you should probably cool down. If you burn out and you need to give a poo poo about your GPA (either because of your field or because of grad school, or both) you might be in for some pain.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Taking 17 credits over the summer term is exhausting. Especially when one of them is a field school that has you out in the field 40 hours a week, and one of the classes runs from the end of May to the weekend before fall semester starts. It made fall a real slog.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't summer school, shim.

Go have fun with the summer. Come visit when I get settled and we'll go hunt Sasquatch or something.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
lol at all these scrubs panicking and showing up to use the lab the day before this project is due.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm debating on spending the next week finishing out every assignment and paper due for the remainder of the quarter. If I do that, I can spend the next month on paid vacation.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The biggest problems my team had to solve today were "all chrome or black with chrome highlights?" and "what side do I want at Popeye's?" Pretty good for a Monday. :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Three weeks before I graduate, which means applications are going out loving fast starting tonight.

zeris, do you wanna start an ad agency? you can write copy and all the scripts

• Locked thread