Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

HardKase posted:

Oh god Why did I buy this.

My friends are actual truckers, so I guess I can use it to talk to them about their work?

Because it's strangely relaxing yet gripping to drive around and listen to music. Honestly it's almost just a thing to do while listening to music sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The old ETS2 thread title was the most accurate.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

W900 released!

:woop:

EDIT: it is listed as DLC so you may have to manually install it.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 15, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ManicJason posted:

I just want my drat W900, and I'm going to post angry words until I get it.

Post angry words no longer!

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
After the patch, I had to disable all my mods to stop the game from crashing on load, just a heads up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

does the patch include a stop light in Tonopah so I can get rid of that mod that fixed that?

Edit: After watching Kilonum's stream and him driving over there to check for me, there's still no light, although it's possible that traffic was reduced. I still think that (and the other nearby T intersection) both need traffic lights so I may mod that.

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 15, 2016

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Oceanbound posted:

After the patch, I had to disable all my mods to stop the game from crashing on load, just a heads up.

If you used the small route adviser mod, that was the only one that broke it for me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

streaming with new truck

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

This game can be quite pretty at times. Shamefully, I wasn't going fast enough to get any air from those bumps.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The new truck is pretty cool, but the mirror placement is kinda dumb and too far out.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
SCS IS THE WORST WHERE IS THE RENAULT RANGE T AND THE NEW FRANCE DLC!!!!!!!

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

track day bro! posted:

SCS IS THE WORST WHERE IS THE RENAULT RANGE T AND THE NEW FRANCE DLC!!!!!!!

Agreed my friend.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I got my first truck today.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
/\ Your truck looks like my first truck!

Oh god cruising through the Nevada desert listening to sweet home Alabama and I spot a guy parachuting.

That's why I brought this game.

I also just did my first hard mode parking job. I'm kinda proud of myself, cause I'm a terrible driver.

HardKase fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 15, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tippis posted:

It's turn signals and steering input, so you look into corners and turns. It works pretty well for just driving around, but if you're in an intersection without lights and have to look out for traffic, it will obviously not guess where you want to look. Since the game doesn't penalise you for confusing enemy vehicles with your turn signals or turning the wheel while standing still, you can still use those, but it's not the most elegant solution.

So, when you are in a slight curve the vision goes ever so slightly to the direction?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HardDisk posted:

So, when you are in a slight curve the vision goes ever so slightly to the direction?

Yes. At least as long as you turn into the curve… and I have no idea how it behaves if you aren't using analogue input.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

TomR posted:

I got my first truck today.

I love my first truck:

I dunno if I'm doing this right but I took a bunch of loans to upgrade my garage and get another truck for a new driver. Should I have waited until I'm a higher level (level 7) or does it really matter and just drive trucks and do what I want?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No get your loans asap. Even maxed out, the payments are just under $8000/day, and the sooner you get drivers making you passive income the sooner you can semi-retire.

e: implied is the fact that your drivers need to do jobs to level up, too, so at first they make squat but after a few levels 3 or 4 drivers can cover your loan payments easily.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I love my first truck:

I dunno if I'm doing this right but I took a bunch of loans to upgrade my garage and get another truck for a new driver. Should I have waited until I'm a higher level (level 7) or does it really matter and just drive trucks and do what I want?

That's about right. I'll relink my quick economy guide. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761915&userid=92519#post455922009

And always drive whatever truck you want - the economy is trivial in this game and trying to min/max it too much beyond paying off high interest loans quickly is silly.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

some screenshots from today's stream

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Kilonum posted:

some screenshots from today's stream

Missing upside down truck.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wonder how long it'll take for fans to make skin templates for the W900, if they aren't already out anyways.

Need me some custom livery.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
The W900 changed ATS from a meh purchase to :catdrugs: for me. That huge tub is just a pleasure to wrestle with on the roads. It's clumsy and has slow acceleration at low level engines, but it just feels so powerful. And it looks great!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It also has proper exhausts, as Ra intended.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Man this game looks pretty, even on a laptop.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

shortspecialbus posted:

Missing upside down truck.

http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/v/45682730

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
So is anyone using any mods on ATS? What graphics settings are people ending up on?

I am playing on my 5K iMac under OS X, but I don't know if it would look better if I booted into windows. Like the shadows are kinda jaggy and stuff. I have most of the settings maxed out too. For ETS2 I had one of the weather mods that made it look pretty nice.

I guess it looks better when the image is scaled down...

This one is from before I upped the quality on the mirror settings:

EDIT: Maybe I can up the res or play with the scaling % or something.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 16, 2016

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
drat driving the road to Eureka at night sucks.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

So is anyone using any mods on ATS? What graphics settings are people ending up on?

I am playing on my 5K iMac under OS X, but I don't know if it would look better if I booted into windows. Like the shadows are kinda jaggy and stuff. I have most of the settings maxed out too. For ETS2 I had one of the weather mods that made it look pretty nice.

I guess it looks better when the image is scaled down...

This one is from before I upped the quality on the mirror settings:

EDIT: Maybe I can up the res or play with the scaling % or something.

I play with maxed out everything, plus the Nvidia inspector settings from earlier in the thread. Forces Nvidia's AA vs the game's, and ends up looking super nice. If you don't have mirrors set to super high quality and super distance you're doing it wrong.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also even AAA modern games tend to use aggressive shadow bias and fairly low resolution shadow maps. Not more than ten feet from the camera and shadows go to poo poo.

e: Also America's level designer sucks and wasn't working with the engine limitations. I was driving from Nevada to Cali last night on 385 and the super wide open desert had mountains fazing in even on the highest draw distance!

Realtalk: Maybe they can borrow an open world game trick and have super low LoD imposters.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 16, 2016

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

I'm really enjoying this game.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Here's a tour of a Peterbilt given by a cool trucker lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfpSBONi6Oc

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The W900 is an absolute dream to drive, and just clicks for me in a way the other two trucks didn't. I can't even explain why, it just feels so much more satisfying to drive. Good truck, good game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Uncle Sam is off the fuckin' hook.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
brb gotta swap out my truck for a W900.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

HardDisk posted:

Wow. That truck is faaancy. And she drives around with her cat? that is kinda awesome.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

HardKase posted:

Wow. That truck is faaancy. And she drives around with her cat? that is kinda awesome.

Had a couple drivers who've dropped off to my work that drive with their wives.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

HardDisk posted:

Goddammit I've blown almost 2 hours now watching her videos.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Boy that Kenworth W900 hates turning compared to my original Peterbilt. BUT gently caress IT! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

She's so beautiful. She sounds so powerful, and that jake brake sound... :allears: