Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

ChiTownEddie posted:

Literally everything is happening that same weekend. Everything. Literally. Still I'd like to be able to go cause the Clybourn events are usually pretty fun and low key.

Unlike Belgian Fest, stout fest is not low key and will sell out within 5 minutes probably. So uh factor that into whether you still want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Compusaurus posted:

Unlike Belgian Fest, stout fest is not low key and will sell out within 5 minutes probably. So uh factor that into whether you still want to go.

Ugh, definitely never-mind then. I thought it was more like Belgian Fest, which I do love.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I like otters, so 8.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Literally everything is happening that same weekend. Everything. Literally. Still I'd like to be able to go cause the Clybourn events are usually pretty fun and low key.

On a different note, time for me to pass along the good beer karma.
Who wants a bottle of Off Color's new release Whiskers? Spiffy new wine barrel aged Wild Ale. Guess a number 1-100 and see if you randomly win in a day or two!

And hey any Chicagoons wanna hang out and drink beers on Friday night? In town for a work related thing and no plans after 5pm thus far.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

ChiTownEddie posted:

aged Wild Ale. Guess a number 1-100 and see if you randomly win in a day or two!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
82 :D

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
45. You already have my address from BIF. It'll be easy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
95. if i win i'll make it the first thing i drink when i'm back in shape and off my dry spell.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
77 :beerpal:

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

33!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
6, why not?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Two questions.

As I've been getting older I notice more and more beers are causing me to have crippling headaches. I'm trying to isolate what the common factor is. Basically anything by Sam Adams, Two Hearted, GoneAway, regular Leinenkugels and a bunch of IPAs. If I have like 3 of the above the next day I'll have a headache for the entire day. If I drink light beer/pale ales or anything "clearer" I tend to feel much better. Anyone have similar issues or suggestions?

Secondly I have recently fallen in love with Asahi Super Dry. Perhaps because its one of the beers that doesn't give me horrible headaches. I love how crisp and tart it feels. It's super refreshing and I'm interested in other similar beers. All the reviews for it are pretty low and I can't figure out why it gets no love. Ive tried other Japanese beers but they aren't the same and generally not so good (Yeah you Saporo).

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
28 :p

Tried the collaboration between Jolly Pumpkin and Stillwater last night, pretty good but I probably wouldn't pay $15 for it again...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Popete posted:

Two questions.

As I've been getting older I notice more and more beers are causing me to have crippling headaches. I'm trying to isolate what the common factor is. Basically anything by Sam Adams, Two Hearted, GoneAway, regular Leinenkugels and a bunch of IPAs. If I have like 3 of the above the next day I'll have a headache for the entire day. If I drink light beer/pale ales or anything "clearer" I tend to feel much better. Anyone have similar issues or suggestions?

Secondly I have recently fallen in love with Asahi Super Dry. Perhaps because its one of the beers that doesn't give me horrible headaches. I love how crisp and tart it feels. It's super refreshing and I'm interested in other similar beers. All the reviews for it are pretty low and I can't figure out why it gets no love. Ive tried other Japanese beers but they aren't the same and generally not so good (Yeah you Saporo).

Test whether or not porters/stouts also do this.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Would also make sure to drink at least half a glass of water for every beer you drink. The only times I've experienced day after cripping hangover headaches/other symptoms are when I'm in high altitude areas, but either way, I do my best to drink poo poo tons of water when there's a ton of beer the same night.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Popete posted:

Two questions.

'Beer allergies' came up on a podcast recently, and iirc it usually ends up being some specific chemical and different for everyone. Outside of getting tested somehow, I think most people just end up avoiding certain beers or breweries :(

Famously, one of the members of the Busch family had a sensitivity that he attributed to bitterness that later turned out to be something from a lower quality of rice that they used sometimes.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Astoria is the epitome of "fine place to visit, would love to live here and whine about it incessantly". That's in part because it looks like this from start to finish

It is filled with stately, 100-year-old, falling-apart buildings, which are falling apart because it rains about 320 days every year and is built on top of a hill and so everybody's basement is in a semi-permanent flooded state. I love that look of it, and I also love Astoria's dive bars (like the one above), since the extant ones were built largely by Finnish immigrants in the 1920s and look like they haven't been renovated since.

I think I've posted about this in the past but my wife's family is from there and her grandma's house, built in the late 20s, was a prized house in the neighborhood because for some reason it was always in perfect condition with little to no maintenance for the entirety of its existence, basement or otherwise. It's a great town to spend a few days in - becomes a total poo poo show for the wine & crab festival - but there's a reason something like 80% of the people under 30 have either found or are actively looking for jobs outside the town.

That said, scenically it's a marvelous place - photographer's dream, views from everywhere (the bridge view and the view from the tower are things you kinda have to see at some point in your life). "Quaint seaside town" is a nice summary but it's much more than that.

I haven't been up there since Buoy opened but we've got a pair of weddings to attend in Astoria this year and I'm especially excited to hit up Buoy & Ft. George and fill a bag with growlers. Thanks for re-firing me back up for those trips.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Who wants a bottle of Off Color's new release Whiskers? Spiffy new wine barrel aged Wild Ale. Guess a number 1-100 and see if you randomly win in a day or two!
You're the best guy. 42, please

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

ChiTownEddie posted:

Guess a number 1-100 and see if you randomly win in a day or two!

:respek: 10!

nicknc33
Nov 17, 2013
78 my guy!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ChiTownEddie posted:

50, thanks for doing this!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
64 Because why not.

Also wanted to mention that Arizona Wilderness just released their Presidential stout. Which is drat good. The Coffee doesn't do anything for me and the BA is really hot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Just a reminder that Central Waters De Kleine Dood (formerly known as Le Petite Mort) is really loving good. Brown sugar, a gently caress ton of vanilla, some fruitiness. I buy a bottle every year and am always surprised at how good it is.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

ChiTownEddie posted:

70! I have an unhealthy love for Off Color.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

Just a reminder that Central Waters De Kleine Dood (formerly known as Le Petite Mort) is really loving good. Brown sugar, a gently caress ton of vanilla, some fruitiness. I buy a bottle every year and am always surprised at how good it is.

What's the story behind the namechange?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I never win anything but whatever. 36.

Now I wanna go to Astoria.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
7!

Man PA's local breweries all teamed up to clean out my wallet. Tired Hands with the new Para, Weyerbacher with SMS, and Neshaminy Creek doing Good Problem to Have all this weekend and then Vault is canning a nitro stout for release next Sunday.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
35 since why not. Thank you for the giveaway!

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

What's the story behind the namechange?

Not much information was given other than a C&D. It translates the same, just in a different language (now in dutch).

I spent 4 hours putting together baby furniture, cooking the best chicken noodle soup I've ever had ,and just generally getting the house in order today so I'm pretty deep into beers. Thus far today:
- JP/Stillwater Pinchadiscos has a very powerful bitterness to it, with JP's yeast involved. It's good and glad I tried it but I don't know if I would pay $15 again. Find it on draft if you can.
- Transient's Apricot Ardent changed a lot from when he tapped a keg at the previous release. Had a sip of Compusaurus' at Saturday's release. The bottle is similar to the most recent draft: a TON of bready aspect, the sourness is subdued... it tastes of just chewing on apricot skins. It isn't bad it's just... not as expected?
- The aforementioned De Kleine Dood
- A can of Two Hearted, packaged in September. Smells right... hops not quite there on the tongue... lots of malt backing... yet it's still loving great. Listen. I know my avatar (thanks, whoever ponied up for it!) biases me but this is still shockingly good 5 months- all fridged, mind you- in. There's no question that this is better fresh (Two Hearted at the brewery is something to behold) but it prides me to know that these old timer Midwest IPAs hold up with time much better than this week's East Coast hotness. (West Coast folks: love that hyper-dry poo poo, just haven't had many too old so...)

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Literally every single time I buy La Fin Du Monde I forget that it has a twist off cap for the 12oz. I have noticed this with a number of Canadian breweries such as with Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!. Any reason for this? I am not really against it, but I do find it odd.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Lotta submissions, love it. I'll draw tomorrow after work :)

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Stone's points unknown collab with wicked weed and someone else. Supposed to be a double ipa blended with a tripel. Was not bad when I first had it.

So now it's 10 months after bottling and still on the shelves and bevmo has dropped it from 10 bucks a bomber to 3 so why not. Most of the hops have faded and it's just a really good tripel with a little hop aroma and finish but nice and sweet overall.

I love clearance beer. Everyone keep overmaking everything please.

And i pick 92 and if I get the box back right back out it goes.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Wow, Steel & Oak's "Tortuga" is outstanding. I smell a lot of rum in the aroma, but the flavor is nicely tart and refreshing, and the rum sweetness only really comes through as a pleasant aftertaste. Highly recommended.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
My guess: 4

Both Modern Times and Pizza Port started distributing in Northern CA in the past few weeks and I have been spending a small fortune on Blazing Worlds and Swamis and Kooks. I recommend finding fresh Blazing World at all costs.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

coronaball posted:

My guess: 4

Both Modern Times and Pizza Port started distributing in Northern CA in the past few weeks and I have been spending a small fortune on Blazing Worlds and Swamis and Kooks. I recommend finding fresh Blazing World at all costs.

for some stupid reason Modern Times didn't pick the East Bay in their most recent Northern CA expansion... but, Pizza Port did and Swami's is pretty hard to beat as a daily drinker. really glad that I can finally buy it regularly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My guess: 99

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

danbanana posted:

- A can of Two Hearted, packaged in September. Smells right... hops not quite there on the tongue... lots of malt backing... yet it's still loving great. Listen. I know my avatar (thanks, whoever ponied up for it!) biases me but this is still shockingly good 5 months- all fridged, mind you- in. There's no question that this is better fresh (Two Hearted at the brewery is something to behold) but it prides me to know that these old timer Midwest IPAs hold up with time much better than this week's East Coast hotness. (West Coast folks: love that hyper-dry poo poo, just haven't had many too old so...)

I was in Illinois for a week earlier this month and had a chance to try it for the first time. We were super busy with family/funeral stuff so couldn't have it on draught etc. The best I could do was finding some at "Binny's" I think it was bottled in November maybe? Yeah it was a little malty but still delicious, I could probably tell it probably lost a little bit.

That store reminds me a lot of Yankee Spirits in MA. Huge, reps every brand, leaves everything warm on shelves, leaves it there until it sells so you get a lot of old seasonal poo poo etc.

But yeah I wasn't gonna be like people are with 6 month old heady, heh, tried heady topper for the first time the other day, I don't see what the big deal is :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
https://www.generosity.com/memorial-fundraising/tony-gwynn-museum--2

$100 donation gets you early access to all 2016 AleSmith special releases. Their IG seemed to indicate proxies would still be a thing so maybe something worth looking into.