Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Quest For Glory II posted:

RE5 and 6 I'd get into if Capcom would actually give real discounts on their games at sales time :/
Make me an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The day I always feared has come, I'm nearly out of single person shooters to play

i've beaten:
Afterfall Insanity
Alan Wake
Alien Isolation
Alien Rage
Alpha Protocol
Betrayer
Binary Domain
Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Minerva's Den, the lovely Infinite DLC
Borderlands 1 and 2
Bulletstorm
The Bureau: XCOM
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
The Darkness II
Dead Space 1 and 2
Deadly Premonition (it technically counts I guess)
Deus Ex series
Dishonored
El Matador
FEAR, FEAR Extraction Point, FEAR Perseus Mandate
Fallout 3, New Vegas
Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon
Ghostbusters the Video Game
Half Life series
Legendary
Max Payne series
Metal Gear Rising Revengance
Mirror's Edge (only barely counts)
Portal series (see above)
RAGE
Red Faction Armageddon
Resident Evil 4, Revelations, Revelations 2
Rise of the Triad (2013)
The Scourge Project
Serious Sam
Singularity
Spec Ops the Line
Spirits of Xanadu
System Shock 2
Tomb Raider (2013)
Valkyria Chronicles
Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood
Zeno Clash 1 & 2 (first person.. brawlers??)

I've got these left: Metro 2033, Descent Underground (which won't have a single player campaign for a long time), and Lichdom Battlemage

i'm at the point where i'm adding games like Sin Episodes, Section 8 Prejudice, Dark Sector, God Mode, and TimeShift to my wishlist. the well is starting to run dry :(

I don't see Doom on that list.

If older games are okay, Dark Forces was enormously fun back in the day.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oooh, here's one: Vampire - Bloodlines. More of an RPG but you got Deus Ex there and they mostly play pretty similar.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Squeenix just announced a PC (and Playstation) port of their wonderful mobile game Hitman GO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-xSA9hlb8

If you never played it on mobile, it's a turn-based Hitman-themed puzzler where the visuals have been abstracted down to miniature board game pieces being slid around intricate little diorama sets. It's really slick looking.

It'll be out on Feb 23rd, cost eight bucks, and will include both the "classic mission" DLC packs from the mobile game (Paris Opera and St. Petersburg Stakeout) and all the usual Steam amenities like achievements, trading cards and cloud saves.

Hopefully Lara Croft GO also gets a port. The whole GO series of games is great. Though I wonder if it'll lose something when played at a desk instead of while waiting for the train...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

As much as I loved both Hitman GO and Lara Croft GO - I feel like they're too easy for a dedicated desktop puzzle game. There are quite a lot of difficult PC puzzle games though so it's not like that will really matter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how brutal the last Luftrausers challenges are. Kill 3 blimps in one life? Ouch.

e: Also it really sucks losing your max combo because it stops spawning enemies that aren't battleships.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

The day I always feared has come, I'm nearly out of single person shooters to play

i've beaten:
Afterfall Insanity
Alan Wake
Alien Isolation
Alien Rage
Alpha Protocol
Betrayer
Binary Domain
Borderlands 1 and 2
Bulletstorm
The Darkness II
Dead Space 1 and 2
Deus Ex series
Dishonored
El Matador
Fallout 3, New Vegas
Half Life series
Legendary
Max Payne series
RAGE
Red Faction Armageddon
Rise of the Triad (2013)
The Scourge Project
Serious Sam
Singularity
Spec Ops the Line
Spirits of Xanadu
System Shock 2
Tomb Raider (2013)
Valkyria Chronicles

I've got these left: Metro 2033, Descent Underground (which won't have a single player campaign for a long time), and Lichdom Battlemage

i'm at the point where i'm adding games like Sin Episodes, Section 8 Prejudice, Dark Sector, God Mode, and TimeShift to my wishlist. the well is starting to run dry :(

Hard Reset owns bones.
the 2007 Wolfenstein (if you can find a key)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
system shock 1

missing Far Cry 2 as well, ignore the haters, that game was awesome.

also seconding STALKER
games. You really need to play at least the first one. It's probably the best FPS ever.

you got lots of work still boyo.

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 15, 2016

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
You should play

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I forgot how brutal the last Luftrausers challenges are. Kill 3 blimps in one life? Ouch.

e: Also it really sucks losing your max combo because it stops spawning enemies that aren't battleships.

I kind of lost interest in Luftrausers near the end because the challenges go from interesting to tedious. It's an awesome game up until that point but it never really hit that "just a little more and I can get that" spot and instead I just wanted to go play something else once it got beyond a certain point.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
http://store.steampowered.com/app/444320/

Ah, a game about my original character, Bigs Binny

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got waylaid by family yesterday, so you get two reviews today. Fitting, because you can only buy these two together.

:mario: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2016 :mario:

1. Cargo Commander
2. Freedom Planet
3. Capsized
4. Knytt Underground
5. Rochard
6. NightSky
7. Canyon Capers
8. Intrusion 2
9. Mutant Mudds Deluxe
10. Teslagrad
11. Tiny Barbarian DX
12. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
13. Snapshot

14. Lunnye Devitsy

I am the biggest sucker for exploration games. By that I mean I will play anything that gives me a wide open world to explore, and doesn't make it too onerous to explore. Platformers usually do exploration the metroidvania route, but there are a few quality indie games that just let you run freely around their world. Lunnye Devitsy is one of those.

The only story you're going to get is that you're a tiny alien who fell off his tiny planet and onto a great big mountain. You want to get home, and as it turns out there are six ways to do that, but you have to find them and piece together a few puzzles to make them work. Some are as simple as jumping on a springboard, some are as complex as building a rocket, and some defy any sort of logic whatsoever.

You can run and you can jump, and that's all you need to unlock Lunnye Devitsy's secrets. The running takes a little getting used to, since you have to build up momentum before you can really get going, but there's plenty of space to practice your sprinting. You also can't die here, which takes any possible edge off the game. Anything that looks lethal most assuredly is not, and falling off the screen just wraps you around to the other side.

It's not hard to sink a few hours into this one trying to divine its secrets, but without any sort of character progression, collectibles, or story, it's also not hard to get bored quickly. I certainly appreciate it for its stark, otherworldly atmosphere and simple exploration, but not enough to suss out all the endings. Still, I'd say it's worth a look, especially if you're a fan of games like Knytt.

15. Wake

I hate seeing a good concept go to waste. Wake certainly has a good one, placing you in the soggy workboots of an engineer on a sinking ship. Starting in the bowels of the hull, you must find your way topside before the ship fills with water. Along the way you'll find keys to open doors, fire axes to bash down less sturdy doors, flashlights and flares, and bits of meteor that apparently started this whole mess. Another survivor pesters you over the radio, but I have no idea what his deal is and he doesn't really add anything to the game.

It's a good concept to be sure, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The rooms of the ship are huge and sprawling, with extremely contrived platforming challenges to overcome like floating platforms and crate mazes. There are tons of dead-ends, which wouldn't be so bad if the map were clearer or if they didn't come at the end of an arduous hallway spanning half the ship. You're also bound to reach jumps you can't make, even with the touchy climbing controls, which leaves you waiting for the water level to rise so you can swim up through the passage. The water rises at a glacial pace, though, so I actually resorted to killing myself which catches the water level up to you instantly.

Wake really fails the first measure of a good platformer, having reliable control over your character. You sprint at inconsistent speeds, you sometimes have air control and sometimes don't, and some jumps can be rendered impossible by the angles the ship lists at. Add some over-processed, blurry pixel graphics and a mysterious story that's never resolved (or is resolved at higher difficulties, which you won't play) and you have a real mess on your hands. I love the idea of escaping a sinking ship via skillful platforming, but I guess I'll have to keep waiting for someone to do it well.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm that dumbass that couldn't figure out why Resident Evil 4 aiming was sluggish and I tried it again yesterday and it was perfectly playable and smooth as hell. I figure it might have just been lagging on my steam link or something because it was definitely unplayable when I tried it a couples months back.

Anyway is there a Steam Link / steam hardware thread because every once in a while I have weird issues and don't want to bother you fine people here. Like I can't get DMC to launch when it's streaming, so I open it from my computer then turn on the link? Why??

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Kins posted:

Squeenix just announced a PC (and Playstation) port of their wonderful mobile game Hitman GO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-xSA9hlb8

If you never played it on mobile, it's a turn-based Hitman-themed puzzler where the visuals have been abstracted down to miniature board game pieces being slid around intricate little diorama sets. It's really slick looking.

It'll be out on Feb 23rd, cost eight bucks, and will include both the "classic mission" DLC packs from the mobile game (Paris Opera and St. Petersburg Stakeout) and all the usual Steam amenities like achievements, trading cards and cloud saves.

Hopefully Lara Croft GO also gets a port. The whole GO series of games is great. Though I wonder if it'll lose something when played at a desk instead of while waiting for the train...

I'm inherently skeptical of Squeenix these days but goddamn if that doesn't look charming as hell.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

:words:

The Shadow Warrior reboot is really cool and has one of the best feeling melee systems in FPS imo. Classic Shadow Warrior (Redux) is cool aswell, if you like oldschool FPS like Doom/Duke3d/ROTT, etc.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kai Tave posted:

I'm inherently skeptical of Squeenix these days but goddamn if that doesn't look charming as hell.

I've played it on mobile and it's very good, if a little on the easier side. Definitely worth picking up.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This seems like a really good bundle from BundleStars. Comes with that super gimmicky game that you can't ever play again if you die, too, if you wanted to see how much of a trainwreck it is or isn't.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Justin_Brett posted:

This seems like a really good bundle from BundleStars. Comes with that super gimmicky game that you can't ever play again if you die, too, if you wanted to see how much of a trainwreck it is or isn't.

Yeah this has some really good games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Hard Reset owns bones.
the 2007 Wolfenstein (if you can find a key)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
system shock 1

missing Far Cry 2 as well, ignore the haters, that game was awesome.

also seconding STALKER
games. You really need to play at least the first one. It's probably the best FPS ever.

you got lots of work still boyo.
I forgot to list Hard Reset in my list but I did beat that and didn't enjoy it, but I do have the DLC campaign to play and I hope that the level design is not total poo poo like the main campaign. Far Cry 2 I got about a third of the way into.. it's alright. I may try System Shock 1 with that graphical update, thanks for the reminder.

There are some games I'm going to have to collect via Xbox 360 due to being unavailable on Steam or just simply cheaper, like Wolfenstein 2009, COD games, STRANGLEHOLD (how unfortunate is it that Stranglehold ain't on PC)

anilEhilated posted:

Oooh, here's one: Vampire - Bloodlines. More of an RPG but you got Deus Ex there and they mostly play pretty similar.
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about that one!

LLSix posted:

I don't see Doom on that list.

If older games are okay, Dark Forces was enormously fun back in the day.
I've of course played the classics. My first FPS was Wolfenstein 3D when I was sick in the hospital and they had it installed on their computer that they wheeled around for the kid patients to play on. Then I bought DOOM episode 1 from a software store back when shareware didn't just mean "free" (I think it was only a couple of bucks though compared to the full version). From there it was onward and onward and onward. From the DOOMs to Heretic/Hexen to Duke 3D to the Quakes to the Unreal Tourneys. I've never played Unreal II though and I have it bookmarked as a possibility. I also played a lot of the poo poo old games, like Ken's Labyrinth, Blake Stone, at least one of the awful Pie in the Sky 3D games (remember that poo poo???).

anilEhilated posted:

Well, my big list of shooters apparently got eaten by the Internet, so here's the highlights: Dark Sector and Timeshift are actually really good and I'd suggest giving Painkiller a shot; I can't play Serious Sam but Painkiller is one of my favorite games of all time. Yeah, it's arenas, but the weapons are so satisfying and levels so gorgeous you won't really mind.
Also, Necrovision. Again, sliglhtly disguised arena shooter but the battles quickly turn into a complete clusterfuck of devastation and delight. Starts off weak, gets progressively crazier and better.
I just got Dark Sector last night from GMG for $2. Apparently it requires their Playfire client but on the bright side I can get 50 cents back when I finish it and "trade" it back in? Kind of weird. I actually tried the Necrovision demo before but found it a bit bland, it was certainly hectic though.

Palpek posted:

I don't see Metro: Last Light or Hard Reset on that fps list. Also GTA 5 on PC has an FPS mode (which owns).
This reminds me that I do have Saints Row 3 to play although I'm not sure that shooting is something it's particularly great at so much as just being a crazy zany game with wacky weapons, I should give it a try though

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Justin_Brett posted:

It's not that good actually but it led me to 3 other bundles they have going now:
FPS Heroes bundle which has some good titles in it (Necrovision) and Quest For Glory should jump on it.
Indie Heroes bundle which is actually good and has some really cool games (Super Motherload, Retro/Grade, Megabyte Punch)
RPG Heroes bundle which features by far the best incest sim rpg on Steam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_tB7iszY90

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's worth it for the Van Helsings games and Unity of Command, which is a really strong intro wargame.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Assuming there's no time limit on the offer for it that's also a pretty good discount on Van Helsing Final Cut if you buy 3 next time it's on sale.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

It's not that good actually but it led me to 3 other bundles they have going now:
FPS Heroes bundle which has some good titles in it (Necrovision) and Quest For Glory should jump on it.
While I wasn't thrilled by the Necro demo I could try it for $3, plus that Sniper game looks kind of decent (apparently you also have a pistol??)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I forgot to list Hard Reset in my list but I did beat that and didn't enjoy it, but I do have the DLC campaign to play and I hope that the level design is not total poo poo like the main campaign.

It's a lot better, they clearly learned a lot. And you should give Shadow Warrior a chance!

This reminds me that I do have Saints Row 3 to play although I'm not sure that shooting is something it's particularly great at so much as just being a crazy zany game with wacky weapons, I should give it a try though

I can see why you'd think that, but it's actually pretty solid.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I got to the industrial area in Shadow Warrior and stopped because I had gotten tired of every level looking so samey and I'm worried that this new area will be no different. The length of the game and the individual levels themselves are pretty exhausting

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Palpek posted:

Indie Heroes bundle which is actually good and has some really cool games (Super Motherload, Retro/Grade, Megabyte Punch)

lol wut

Ok fine western games are weird and creepy too

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zetsubou-san posted:

Craft the World - $18.99 - side-on DF-alike
It's worth pointing out that (unless they changed the AI recently) this isn't so much a "gently caress-around-and-build-poo poo" game as "tell your guys to build poo poo and hope the AI decides it's high enough priority to do and doesn't get stuck in a priority loop also it's slow as poo poo" game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i bought a pstv today

Estel
May 4, 2010

While I wasn't thrilled by the Necro demo I could try it for $3, plus that Sniper game looks kind of decent (apparently you also have a pistol??)

I liked the first Necrovision, it has an interesting combat system and the story is insane. You start in the World War I, you fight German soldiers, zombies, hell hounds, demons, vampires, a giant crab tank also you can pilot a vampire-made robotic exosuit and ride a dragon. For $3 I would say it's definitely worth it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

corn in the bible posted:

i bought a pstv today

I have a shield TV

It owns

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

i've beaten:
Afterfall Insanity
Alan Wake
Alien Isolation
Alien Rage
Alpha Protocol
Betrayer
Binary Domain
Borderlands 1 and 2
Bulletstorm
The Darkness II
Dead Space 1 and 2
Deus Ex series
Dishonored
El Matador
Fallout 3, New Vegas
Half Life series
Legendary
Max Payne series
RAGE
Red Faction Armageddon
Rise of the Triad (2013)
The Scourge Project
Serious Sam
Singularity
Spec Ops the Line
Spirits of Xanadu
System Shock 2
Tomb Raider (2013)
Valkyria Chronicles

Prey is really fun and is also not for sale on Steam - however retail copies are cheap and the key is Steam redeemable. It's a bit like Doom 3 but personally I really enjoyed a lot of the craziness - it did portals before Portal, and also has an incredibly hosed up boss fight later in the game.

Wolfenstein 2009 is great fun but you'll have to buy a CD copy as Steam delisted it about 3 years ago and marketplace copies go for absurd prices. I preferred it to the more recent New Order, mainly because it feels like more of a retro FPS and it has some pretty cool underground Nazi base levels. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is also really fun but has a terrible stealth level you may want to cheat through.

If you're not averse to (much) older games, there are a load of cool 2.5d (sprite based) shooters that play really well with modern source ports like gzDoom - specifically, Doom I & II, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife (which also comes with its own updated version). Doom 2 has thousands of awesome levels and mods, and while some people hate the fact it exists, you may enjoy plugging in Brutal Doom which adds a lot of extra fireworks and gore.

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri looks like garbage (1996 voxel technology for you) but is still really fun and kinda unique. It's a precursor to the Delta Force games in a way, but you have a cool spacesuit that lets you jump super high and lasers at people. Really worth a shot if you can get past the dated production values.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series has some really cool titles in there - personally I think 3 is the best one, but then again I can't play Vegas on my machine as it crashes at startup. Regardless, they're really cool tactical shooters (i.e. one shot and you're dead - same goes for your enemies!) and have a really tense and satisfying atmosphere.

The Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy: too many titles games are super fun, albeit with some frustrating moments. You get to run around with a lightsaber and dismember storm troopers and use cool force powers in some really fun and well designed levels (until you get to Nar Shadaar I guess, that level is garbage of the worst order). Be wary of Dark Forces 2 on Steam though as it's missing the soundtrack and has a tonne of compatibility issues - the Gog version is much better.

STALKER 1 and 3 are super fun and atmospheric, although you want the COMPLETE mod for the first one to fix a load of terrible bugs. Really highly recommended, a bit like Fallout 3's unhinged russian uncle that want you to drink his weird smelling vodka and go rambling in the middle of the night.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh yeah, also play Dying Light. Owns and the expansion was just released together with the Enhanced Edition.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Palpek posted:

Oh yeah, also play Dying Light. Owns and the expansion was just released together with the Enhanced Edition.
As a headsup though, its a game more focused on melee weapons then guns. Guns control fine, but they are harder to find and attract runner zombies with the noise.

It is definitely fun if you don't care about that.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Palpek posted:

lol at that game but Drakensang's also in the bundle, and I think I remember hearing good things about that one. How is it?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Convex posted:

STALKER 1 and 3 are super fun and atmospheric, although you want the COMPLETE mod for the first one to fix a load of terrible bugs. Really highly recommended, a bit like Fallout 3's unhinged russian uncle that want you to drink his weird smelling vodka and go rambling in the middle of the night.
which one is the first one? i have call of pripyat and im probably going to start it soon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
All this talk about shooty games and no mention about Riddick (not on Steam anymore but it's on GOG).

Also seconding whoever suggested Tron 2.0.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

which one is the first one? i have call of pripyat and im probably going to start it soon
Shadow of Chernobyl, then Clear Sky, then Call of Pripyat.
Clear Sky is the one best skipped.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Accordion Man posted:

As a headsup though, its a game more focused on melee weapons then guns. Guns control fine, but they are harder to find and attract runner zombies with the noise.

It is definitely fun if you don't care about that.

The guns are very situational. I use them a lot, but they're more for pushing through a big wad of zombies than trying to clear out an area so you can loot it.

That's what drop kicks are for.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kennel posted:

All this talk about shooty games and no mention about Riddick (not on Steam anymore but it's on GOG).

Also seconding whoever suggested Tron 2.0.
I beat Riddick but haven't played the second campaign yet, knowing that it's not as good. I will some day though

The visuals in that still look great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Awesome! posted:

Shadow of Chernobyl is the first one and also by far my favourite. It has a really dark and oppressive atmosphere that hasn't really been matched since. Like I say though, the COMPLETE mod is essential.

CoP is fun but I think playing it first would spoil your experience of the first one.

• Locked thread