Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

It's a nitpick, but Max's indirects have reduced range by 1, not of 1. This means he's just got useless artilleries and rockets as opposed to all ranged units.
Also, boo Max players. He's probably the most boring CO in there, everything just gets bigger numbers.

If you want to talk "bigger numbers", how can any choice be more apt than Colin? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hawke is my favorite CO outside of Days of Ruin, and he has the best theme.

I hate fighting Sami so, so much.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ptarmigans posted:

I wonder in hindsight if maybe Sami would benefit from a map with more than two bases.

Yeah I figured you were in trouble once I saw that you only had access to two bases. Hard to drown them in bodies at 2 dudes per turn.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I seem to be having an attack of the stupids, how do you set a match up?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gnoman posted:

I seem to be having an attack of the stupids, how do you set a match up?

go to a map, then hit play on this map

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

If you want to talk "bigger numbers", how can any choice be more apt than Colin? :colbert:
I do believe I explained my opinion on that that up in the Sandcastle. Then again, he's at least based around economy, not just units doing the same thing they do but better.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
First Round - Match 2: JunpeiHyde vs Endorph

The first rounds are over, and Aston moves onto the next round. Let's see who he's going to be facing in the quarterfinals: Endorph, or JunpeiHyde.

As per usual, let's take a look at the map and the CO selection:

A strange aspect of this map are the pre-deployed t-copters which are lying on the corners of each side of the map. This will help the players try and seize important properties much quicker than most games. As well, there are pipes which are running along each player's bases, allowing for chokepoints to be built more easily, as well as a unit which barely gets seen in any Advance Wars play: the piperunner. There are two airports which are easy to seize for each player at the beginning of the game, and two comm. towers mark the middle of the map, to where each player must race for them to gain physical superiority with their units.

The CO selection is very unorthodox this game: Von Bolt vs Lash. Let's go over their stats:

Von Bolt:

• Day-To-Day: All units gain a 10% bonus to their attack and defense.
  • CO Power: N/A
  • Super CO Power: Ex Machina - a 2x2 range missile strikes down the most expensive set of enemy units. The missile does 3 damage to said units, and those units cannot move next turn.

Lash:

• Day-To-Day: Any defensive bonuses that terrain offer are added to offense as well.
  • CO Power: Terrain Tactics - All unit's movement costs are reduced to 1, no matter the weather.
  • Super CO Power: Prime Tactics - All unit's movement costs are reduced to 1, no matter the weather. Terrain bonuses are doubled.

Von Bolt has one of the best day-to-day powers out of any CO in Advance Wars By Web, having a positive offensive and defensive boost on all of his units without any drawbacks. However, his lack of CO power and his long-charging super CO power do not make him the most popular choice among players. Ex Machina was nerfed from Von Bolt's counterpart in Advance Wars Dual Strike as well, only hitting 2 spaces instead of the regular 3. This doesn't mean that Von Bolt is a bad CO by any means. In fact, a well-timed Ex Machina can mean the end of a player's assault or chokepoint. As well, his extra offensive and defensive power can give him a significant edge in combat situations where both players are at an equal point in the game.

Lash is a stranger choice for this map. The map mostly consists of plains and roads, so Lash won't be able to utilize most of her bonuses with her ground units to their absolute maximum potential. However, the worst Lash can become is a CO with average units like Andy. Prime Tactics on major points such as the comm. towers or some of the woods which are strewn across the map can protect valuable units as well. Let's see how things play out:

Jade Sun - End of Day 2

Well, it seems like it's snowing on day 2 already. Since we haven't seen any snow as of yet in any of the games shown off, snow doubles the movement cost of all units (except for Olaf's units). That doesn't really mean all that much, considering it's the capture phase. The most striking question at the beginning of this game is how Endorph and JunpeiHyde will utilize their T-copters in the upcoming turns.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 3

They seem to both have the same idea: capture the base which is over to the side of their initial starting point. It almost seems obvious, but yet some players are a bit more aggressive than that: they might decide to use their t-copter to aim towards central properties to take them before their opponent does. It's a good move: bases should be the top priority of the capture phase, and any central bases are far more important to take than cities or comm. towers in the same area. I wouldn't advise trying to rush a base if you're severely underfunded though. Usually that goes badly.

Jade Sun - End of Day 4

Now this is an interesting choice by both Endorph and Junpei: they decide to use their airports right off the bat to build a secondary t-copter. Considering how spread apart the cities are on the map, this isn't necessarily a bad idea: if they end up seizing more properties through the extra infantry that they bring over with that t-copter, it'll pay off in the long run. As well, they have a bit of reinforcement if he tries to go for the comm. towers.

Their playstyles vary from mine drastically: at this point, the immediate thought I would be having is to use my newly captured base in order to spawn infantry en-masse and have them march towards the cities over the pace of a few turns, while saving my funds for a battle copter or tank to reinforce them. I prefer their idea a lot more to mine.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 6

As I'm typing this right now, I'm beginning to realize that Junpei is continuously making a mistake: he keeps forgetting to capture that base in the lower left corner in its entirely. That's probably going to be a hindrance in the long run.

On the other hand, Endorph seems like she's ready to begin an assault and end this capture phase: she built a recon on her middle base. Considering how much road there is in the center of the map, the recon will probably get the most out of its 8 movement, and give Endorph some control over the center of the map. Seems like Endorph also might be capturing the comm. tower on the left soon. She also has her units closer to the right comm. tower than Junpei does. If she captures both, she'll have 130% attack units, which is something you do not want to get hit by every turn.

Junpei has his eyes on the center of the map, it seems. Two of his infantry are already in the middle of capturing that part, which Endorph has neglected. If that recon gets too close, Junpei could probably retaliate with a battle copter and lay waste to Endorph's recon if it goes unprotected.

Jade Sun - End of Day 6

Junpei's mounting an assault on the left side with his two infantry to prevent the potential capture of the comm. tower there, as well as built an APC to help him along the right side. As predicted as well, a b-copter was built just as Endorph built that recon. If Junpei can mobilize fast enough, he might actually gain the upper hand on Endorph. As well, he went back to capture that base...

Except he forgot to click the capture button. You have no idea how many times I've done that as well in other games.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 8

Things are getting intensive in the center of the map. Endorph retaliated b-copter with b-copter, and now has a defense for his recon going into the center. She built a tank last turn and is ready to send it to the center as well. One of Endorph's more clever moves this turn was putting the t-copter in front of her infantry capturing the comm. tower, preventing Junpei from stopping the capture with his infantry which would have been in range. Transport units tend to make for great meatshields against things which aren't AI in the first Advance Wars game, as we learn here.

Meanwhile, Junpei has nearly destroyed the infantry capturing the comm. tower on the left side. Two more are about to take its place, though. He might need a few reinforcements on that side to secure it. The problem with doing that right now is that the b-copter that Junpei built is going to need to stay focused on the center of the map to defend the center from Endorph.

Jade Sun - End of Day 8

...Or not.

Seems as if Junpei is doing an extremely hard push on the left side and does -not- want Endorph to take that comm. tower. He's building some very offensive units to take over in the center as well: a tank and a b-copter. Considering that Endorph hasn't truly mobilized in the center yet, this was a good solution.

He used his two t-copters that he had to move two of his infantry over to the left side of the map, thus reinforcing his infantry which were damaged by counterattacks from the infatry Endorph was using to capture. He's also beginning a capture on that very same tower. His APC brought out his infantry on the right side, so they're fairly even over on that side of the map, for as few units as there are over there. There isn't much that Junpei can do to stop Endorph during the next turn from capturing that tower, though. However, Junpei can still take that back later.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 9

Jade Sun - End of Day 9

Endorph made quite the mistake during the end of her turn: she put her b-copter right in range of Junpei's b-copter, with nothing to defend herself with. Though that anti-air was deployed, there isn't much that it can do in its current position: the mountain is blocking it off from reaching the center of the map. Junpei now has control over the center of the map. He also finally captured the base in the lower part of the map, meaning that he can secure the left side of the map more easily now. Junpei's infantry on the right side are wrestling really well with Endorph's infantry, meaning that he might take back that comm. tower in a few turns. Things are looking grim for Endorph right now, with how much Junpei has taken the center from her.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 10

I really like how Endorph responds here: the wall that she's established will allow her to minimize the damage that Junpei's two copters will do within the next few turns. It also will allow her to mobilize the anti-air units that she's built if Junpei tries to bust through and take a significant advantage over the center.

Seems as if Junpei's built some artillery as well. He must be confident in his front line in the center right now.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 11

Rain was the last thing Endorph really wanted to see right now. It hinders her from mobilizing those anti-airs in the center. However, it also prevents Junpei from moving up those artillery to where he wanted to position them as well. Seems as if the b-copter is continuing to assault the front lines, but it isn't making much in terms of progress in breaking through Endorph's main force. It did do quite a number on that tank though, as well as Endorph's recon.

The wall that Endorph has around her capturing infantry in the center is at least helping her take some properties away from Junpei, and it may be more important in the long run that she does do that. As well, she might be able to bully Junpei out of the center if those anti-air are able to get in there soon enough.

What's her T-copter doing in the south there anyways...?

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 12

Well that's just plain silly.

It seems that Junpei didn't build a unit on his rightmost base, and Endorph decided to cover it up with a T-copter. This means that until that t-copter is destroyed, Junpei can't build any more units off of it. There goes any momentum that Junpei has on the right with that one move.

The snow has kicked in as well, and Junpei's units are taking quite the thrashing in the center. Endorph's patience and endurance has paid off, and with two tanks and two anti-air rushing the center, she might regain her advantage over the map as a whole.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 13

"Might" is no longer a hypothetical.

Endorph was able to destroy Junpei's b-copter and tank within this turn. Junpei's assault in the center is heavily damaged, but Junpei isn't out yet: the infantry near his base is chipping away at the t-copter on his base, meaning he'll be able to deploy units again very soon. As well, he captured the comm. tower on the right. With the extra offensive power, he might be able to wrestle the center away again.

Jade Sun - End of Day 13

Junpei's moves here in terms of seizing the left and right sides are cleverly executed: to stall for time on the right, he put his APC over the comm. tower, to prevent any potential infantry captures for the next few turns. On the left, his infantry rushed his comm. tower on the left which was under siege. His tank opts to attack the anti-air in the group of units in the center, bringing it down to 5 HP. This will help with keeping his battle copters less choked if they mount an assault later.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 14

However, was it the best move? He sacrificed a tank in the process, and I have to wonder: if Junpei played a bit more defensively there, would he be better off? Considering that his city is only under siege this turn, I think he might have been.

Oh, and Endorph replaced her lost t-copter on the base that was blocking Junpei's left side with another t-copter. It's back to the drawing board for Junpei.

On that note...

Seems both players now have their Super CO Powers charged. Let's see how they're utilized.

Jade Sun - End of Day 15

So, this is the turn that Junpei activates Prime Tactics. The significant defense boost might have worked last turn as opposed to this one, as that APC could have possibly been saved, and his comm. tower might have been his for just a little while longer. However, it does allow him to gain an offensive bonus on the central front, and help defend his tank in the center from heavy attacks within the next turn, making it harder for Endorph to destroy. Those annoying t-copters on his base finally went away too, meaning he can now start building units on the rightmost base again. With a few battle copters coming around the corner it might be hard for Endorph to truly rush Junpei's base, and this battle might be drawn out a little longer.

Unfortunately for Junpei...

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 16

Ex Machina strikes at the most opportune time. Since Junpei's units were clustered together as much as they were during the snowfall, it hit a significant chunk of them, and they're now sitting ducks for Endorph to march in and take during the next turn (specifically his artillery and anti-air). His sole battle copter isn't going to be able to stop this assault alone. As well, much to my delight, Endorph builds a piperunner to defend her base. It's rare I get to see those things.

Junpei still has a significant control over the left section of the map, but the rightmost part is left completely unguarded. A few more turns will show if Junpei retailates to this.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 17

With little that he could do during his last turn, Junpei moved the few units he could forward, built the few units he could, and ended his turn. Meanwhile, Endorph formed a little interesting wall in the center which doesn't leave Junpei for many options in the upcoming turns. Four tanks and two battle copters form this wall, and a wall like that is pretty well fortified. Junpei could retailate with artilleries, but Endorph's 120/110 units will take quite some time to get around. Furthermore, any direct assault on the wall will probably be the end of Junpei's units, as Endorph has a counter to most any ground unit sitting right at that wall with her b-copters and tanks. Junpei does find a way to cut through this, however:

Jade Sun - End of Day 17

With his artillery and his battle-copter, Junpei was able to destroy the 9 HP tank on the left. Subsequently, he manages to also hit one of Endorph's b-copters for a significant amount of damage. His units on the left are marching upwards, taking properties as they go, and two tanks now form an assault on the right side of the map. Junpei might be able to come back from this!

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 18

Or not. Seems as if Endorph sealed up the seams again on the lower chokepoint, and destroyed that b-copter which managed to pass on through, as well as another b-copter and an artillery. The piperunner seems to be defending the left side of the map as well, just in case Junpei wants to try anything sneaky like stealth-capping Endorph's bases. Junpei's 5 HP tank disappears from thast side of the map, leaving not much else left.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 20

Eventually we reach this point. Endorph was able to muscle her way into Junpei's base, and her wall of units prevented Junpei from interfering with an HQ cap from Endorph's mech. Endorph won the match as a result.

Junpei's biggest mistakes in this match were simple human errors. Advance Wars By Web's interface isn't exactly forgiving, as we've seen from these last two matches: bases aren't exactly shown well when they're captured. As well, Junpei struggled quite a bit with those t-copters blocking off his bases. The snow combined with Ex Machina hit right when it needed to as to secure Endorph's chokepoint towards the end of the game. A more defensive game would have benefitted Junpei, but there's little you can do when your units are forced to cluster up like that.

This game had a lot to teach as well from both players, namely in how important transport units can be. Not only can they act as fast ways to secure far away properties, but they can also serve as walls and assistants in capturing bases after their initial duty is done...

...as well as annoying yet hilarious base-blockers.

Congratulations to Endorph and Aston for reaching the quarterfinals regardless. Our next matchups are with Trasson facing TheMcD, and Kennyman666 facing Doctor Reynolds. The former contestants shall be facing each other on this map, while the latter shall be playing on this map. Good luck!

Slur fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 12, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Edit: In reference to the first match of the tournament.

Looking at the map there are a couple of key places where I think Sami can easily hold a chokepoint for a long time. I9 and I10, just in front of the city with a Mech and I12 and I13 on completely choke out any offense in the centre of the map. After that you can try to hold H1 and H2 in the South and you have three chokepoints that broadly govern your entire half of the map.

At that point, you're going to take a beating, but with a little luck your infantry can hold long enough for Long Range to become an actual factor in the game.

Although in this case I'd almost always favour taking Sturm/Von Bolt if that's your approach.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 15, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I am become Murphy's Law.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Did that piperunner actually end up doing anything?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Did that piperunner actually end up doing anything?
it killed a t-copter

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The game has been created for Reynolds to join: http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=50792

Password is slur

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I am deeply impressed a piperunner got built.

For the unaware, a piperunner is an artillery unit that can only hang out on pipe tiles. (And undestroyed pipe seams.) It can be built any time, but naturally can only actually leave the base if there's a pipe right there. At a cost of 20,000 funds, it actually isn't extremely expensive; moat sea units start out at that point, while air units jump from choppers to the also-20k fighter and on. It is a degree pricier then other land units, however, and comes at the draw back of only being able to hang out on pipes.

So what's the sell? It has the range of a rocket (Five tiles) and the punch of a battleship, the vision just off from a recon and has an extreme nine movement, albeit once again only on pipes. It also can attack both ground and air units with its artillery attack, which is actually pretty handy! However, it's just one unit. With a significant price tag. And a limited play environment. Sometimes, though, you just need a cheaper battleship to defend your turf.

Also of note, the decade-old Advanced Wars fan game of sorts, along with penguin faction and so forth, also added shuttlerunners. They were APCs for pipes. Literally was just a APC spirte and the bottom of a piperunner, to memory.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm wondering if I should run and commentate a "plate" competition for everyone knocked out in the first round, just so they don't feel like their time in the tournament ended too soon. What do people think?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Paul.Power posted:

I'm wondering if I should run and commentate a "plate" competition for everyone knocked out in the first round, just so they don't feel like their time in the tournament ended too soon. What do people think?
Maybe do it in some different way. Like, wait until these two rounds are over too, and take the four that's been knocked out and do a 4-player FFA or a 2v2. Or game with fog, but that requires remembering it was fog when posting the screenshots from the replay.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

OK, I made the game, I think everything is working: http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=66213

Password is "goons".

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Piperunner and Shuttlerunner are both throwbacks to the first Famicom Wars titles where you had rail units available and worked much the same way.

E: Z The difference being that the Rail Turtle moved further, hit harder, had a machine gun, and carried two ground units like a lander.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 15, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did any of you guys ever play the NES title Desert Commander? It's almost exactly Advance Wars and I've always wondered if it had any relation.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RBA Starblade posted:

Did any of you guys ever play the NES title Desert Commander? It's almost exactly Advance Wars and I've always wondered if it had any relation.
No relation, no. The first Famicom Wars was released only four months later, it seems.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

I had a lot of fun with my game, so sure.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think you got pronouns right elsewhere, but I noticed this slipup:

quote:

As I'm typing this right now, I'm beginning to realize that Junpei is continuously making a mistake: he keeps forgetting to capture that base in the lower left corner in its entirely. That's probably going to be a mistake in the long run.

On the other hand, Endorph seems like he's ready to begin an assault and end this capture phase: she built a recon on her middle base. Considering how much road there is in the center of the map, the recon will probably get the most out of its 8 movement, and give Endorph some control over the center of the map. Seems like Endorph also might be capturing the comm. tower on the left soon. She also has her units closer to the right comm. tower than Junpei does. If she captures both, she'll have 130% attack units, which is something you do not want to get hit by every turn.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I think you got pronouns right elsewhere, but I noticed this slipup:

Ah darn! I knew I slipped up somewhere but I couldn't find it during proofreading!

I'm sorry! It's edited now.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I had a hell of a time deciding what CO to pick. What a strange map.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I had a hell of a time deciding what CO to pick. What a strange map.
Well, guess this is going to get interesting.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Sami's name rhymes loosely with "ban me". I might grant her that wish.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I almost picked Drake because I thought being immune to Rain would be fun. Then I realized that just reduces vision, so it's useless...

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I almost picked Drake because I thought being immune to Rain would be fun. Then I realized that just reduces vision, so it's useless...

So you picked Olaf instead?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It does make it harder for vehicles to get through forests and plains, but that's about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Olaf is awesome and probably my favorite CO in this sad, Grit-less world. Although he'd need his AW1 portrait to really shine.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, Olaf is awesome and probably my favorite CO in this sad, Grit-less world. Although he'd need his AW1 portrait to really shine.

You can actually go to the AWBW options and change the portraits.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AW2 theme with AWDS portraits is obviously the way to go.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I completely forgot Olaf was a CO. :downs:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I completely forgot Olaf was a CO. :downs:

That is just shameful. :colbert: Olaf is clearly the greatest Blue Moon CO.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TheMcD posted:

That is just shameful. :colbert: Olaf is clearly the greatest Blue Moon CO.

when there's only olaf and sasha on the "actually allowed to be played" list that's not saying much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i would have picked sturm on that map because the center is pretty terrain heavy and recon harass is pretty good on a map where properties are spread out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doublepost

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Picking Sturm just doesn't seem sporting.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

I am not good at advanced war so maybe I'm overlooking something obvious but... why on earth did you build a battleship?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Picking Sturm just doesn't seem sporting.

i dunno, 80% firepower on everything kinda blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mzbundifund posted:

I am not good at advanced war so maybe I'm overlooking something obvious but... why on earth did you build a battleship?

I'm a fan of the battleship in the inland sea. It gives you a strong ranged attack that the opponent can't really touch without using the airport on the other side of the map. Expensive, but might make a good deterrent.

• Locked thread