Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Parmesan Basil posted:

The AFC is a tremendous embarrassment is the jist I'm getting here.

I wonder how far back you'd have to go to find a year where none of the Pats, Steelers, Colts or Broncos made the playoffs.

Parity in the AFC :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well the Patriots went downhill after the 1996 SB appearance, the Steelers fell apart after the Neil O'donnell SB meltdown and couldn't find a loving QB, and the Broncos entered the valley of the damned with Elway retiring and TD having brain problems, so the answer is 1999.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
1999 was Peyton's emergence. Looks like the answer is 1990.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I wonder how far back you'd have to go to find a year where none of the Pats, Steelers, Colts or Broncos made the playoffs.

The Steelers and the Colts are NFC teams in AFC wrappers too!

You know, if you go all the way back.

So are the Ravens!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The difference between the AFC and NFC is that the AFC has three dominant franchises while everyone in the NFC is consistently mediocre

Fun fact:

48% of all AFC Super Bowl appearances have been either the Patriots, Steelers, or Broncos

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
That's only a fun fact if you're a fan of one or two of those teams.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So are the Browns

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Similarly, though you have to go one extra team, 48% of the Superbowls have had the Cowboys, 49ers, Packers or Giants

Expand that one more and 58% have had the Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Giants or Redskins and on the AFC side 58% have had the Steelers, Broncos, Patriots or Raiders

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
The last good Super Bowl games have been when the NFC team wrecks the AFC team God bless

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Does anybody happen to have a link to the original Manti Teo thread from when the story first broke?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Parmesan Basil posted:

The last good Super Bowl games have been when the NFC team wrecks the AFC team God bless

If your team's last appearance wasn't during the Nixon administration you might feel differently.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This Super Bowl was really good
Last year's Super Bowl had the insane catch + you shoulda run it
The year before was trash but Percy Harvin did a thing
The year before had the 49ers comeback in the second half and the 49ers threatened at the end (also a you shoulda run it)
The year before had Manning2Manningham and the weird play where the Giants didn't want to score and the Patriots wanted them to and Bradshaw fell rear end-first into the end zone
I guess Packers-Steelers was a stinker
Saints-Colts was a snoozefest
Steelers-Cardinals was really good
18-1 loving owned

Some good Super Bowls lately IMO

Edit: full disclosure on Saints-Colts is I was drunk as poo poo.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 15, 2016

Nov 6, 2002

I thought the Saints Colts game was good. It was close right up until the pick six.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Saints Colts had a surprise onside kick!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

NC-17 posted:

I thought the Saints Colts game was good. It was close right up until the pick six.

Yeah Saints-Colts was fantastic

the only Super Bowl i've been bored by lately was the Seahawks - Broncos because it was just a stomping by halftime and the entire second half was just waiting for it to end.

Before that Colts-Bears was boring after hester's kickoff. Honestly since the turn of the century the only real boring Bowls have been Ravens/Giants (Slaughter) Bucs/Raiders (Slaughter) Bears/Colts (Slaughter) and Seahawks/Broncos (slaughter). hmm, I see a trend.

At least the 2005 Steelers/Seahawks poo poo show was a close game

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 15, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NC-17 posted:

If your team's last appearance wasn't during the Nixon administration you might feel differently.

I'm honestly kind of surprised Nixon was in office by Super Bowl IV.

:smith:

Febreeze posted:

Before that Colts-Bears was boring after hester's kickoff. Honestly since the turn of the century the only real boring Bowls have been Ravens/Giants (Slaughter) Bucs/Raiders (Slaughter) Bears/Colts (Slaughter) and Seahawks/Broncos (slaughter). hmm, I see a trend.

This used to be a yearly thing, we've been really lucky with Super Bowls recently.

Nov 6, 2002

I think the Steelers/Cardinals game was probably the most entertaining Super Bowl in recent history. Plenty of huge exciting plays, and it came down to the final couple of minutes. I just wish Warner had been able to get off that final hail mary.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Fun fact: 4% of all super bowls have contained The Cincinnati Bengals

Nov 6, 2002

The Cincinnati Bengals are the "and other natural flavors" of the Super Bowl.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Basically the last fifteen years of Super Bowls have been strategically designed to make me hopeful and then angry. Only the Packers have managed to remain not awful. gently caress all the other winners even the ones I liked when they won. Steelers over Cards is a national tragedy that no one talks about. It's up there with Waco.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Fun fact: 4% of all super bowls have contained The Cincinnati Bengals

However, 0% of all super bowls past present and future will contain Andrew "Andy Dalton." Dalton.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'm cool with all Super Bowls except the Manning Colts one against Rex Grossman, I wish that hadn't happened

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Atticus Finch posted:

I'm putting together a TFF Survivor for the offseason. 50 of the greatest (Super Bowl era) players will be listed and instead of individual rankings, we'll be voting someone out one by one until one player is left standing as the greatest football player of all time.

There will be a cap of 10 QBs.

Jerry Rice. Sorry to ruin your game.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

davecrazy posted:

Yeah, no one can touch his longevity

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

davecrazy posted:

do not underestimate TFF's ability to choose an offensive lineman as the greatest football player of all time

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Anthony Munoz

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ehud posted:

do not underestimate TFF's ability to choose an offensive lineman as the greatest football player of all time

Walter Jones deserves it :colbert:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

0% of Superbowl have had Texans

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PrinceRandom posted:

0% of Superbowl have had Texans

What do you mean, Wade was just in one

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kalli posted:

Well the Patriots went downhill after the 1996 SB appearance, the Steelers fell apart after the Neil O'donnell SB meltdown and couldn't find a loving QB, and the Broncos entered the valley of the damned with Elway retiring and TD having brain problems, so the answer is 1999.

Steelers went to the playoffs like 10 of 16 years of Cowher's tenure, so they been in the playoffs 17 of 26 years going back to Noll, and he only missed like 7 times in his 20 years

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Walter Jones deserves it :colbert:

nah its munoz

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Intruder is the best moderator I've ever had in my long career on various forums *salutes*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Hmm someone must have done something cool that I'm getting credit for

I'll allow it

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Forums moderation on this site is so much better than it used to be. Thanks for what you do bud, it's the offseason, its ok to say that now.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Steve Smith: "I kind of tried this thing this offseason – made a pact with myself – I look in the eyes of all my victims before I take their lunch money."

:allears:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Febreeze posted:

I'm busting out an old one here

Gendo won't re-awaken :(

Accurate as gently caress. That's me.

gently caress all of you. Go Jamaal Charles.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
goonchat

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/368516751.html

quote:

Green Bay — When it comes to this off-season, most of the interest in the Green Bay Packers is focused on which of the team's 18 free agents will return in 2016.

If you're general manager Ted Thompson, your bigger concern might be the 2017 off-season.

As much as Thompson needs to sign kicker Mason Crosby and a couple of the other soon-to-be free agents, the biggest challenge he faces this off-season is figuring out how he's going to protect quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the years to come.

After the '16 season, left guard Josh Sitton, left tackle David Bakhtiari, right guard T.J. Lang and center/tackle JC Tretter are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents. Assuming their performances don't drop off a cliff this year, Thompson will have age- and money-related decisions to make.

It may explain why Thompson seemed to be fixated on the offensive line at the Senior Bowl.

An NFL source who was in Mobile, Ala., for the week leading up to the Jan. 30 game said Thompson was "glued" to the offensive line drills. Asked if he had noticed the same thing, another league source who was there said, "It's true. He was, it seemed."

Even if Thompson weren't facing a potential exodus on his offensive line after this year, he'd be looking for depth. He had a near disaster on his hands until Tretter bailed him out and stabilized a left tackle position devastated by Bakhtiari's ankle injury in the playoff victory against Washington.

If right tackle Bryan Bulaga hadn't been able to come back from an ankle injury he suffered against Arizona in Week 16, the Packers might not have gotten out of the nation's capital with a victory. It was clear that backups Don Barclay and Josh Walker were not capable of holding up under pressure, and outside of moving Lang to right tackle and Lane Taylor to right guard there weren't other options.

Thompson will have his starting five plus Tretter available for 2016. Barclay could right himself after struggling after ACL surgery in 2014, but he is an unrestricted free agent and the Packers might just let him walk. Walker probably needs to be at guard, and Thompson is likely to give him another training camp to show he can help there.

Matt Rotheram, a massive, young prospect who spent the year on practice squad, showed enough that another team was willing to sign him during the season. The Packers raised his pay to the NFL minimum and got him to stay, and he'll focus on playing guard.

All of that is fine, but Thompson's view has to be long-term.

Sitton is one of the best guards in the NFL. He turns 30 in June and had to manage a back injury all last season and in parts of previous ones. Despite that, he played all but eight of the 1,295 snaps in '15. The year before that he played all but 55 snaps despite an excruciating toe injury suffered in Week 8.

At an average yearly salary of $6.8 million, Sitton's deal has held up well since 2011. The top rate for guards is about $8 million per year now and could reach $9 million to $10 million by next off-season.

Lang turns 29 in September and had shoulder and knee injuries this past season. He missed one game and played in all but 115 snaps and the previous year played in all but 101 snaps.

Lang's contract averages $5.2 million per year, and he could expect a considerable raise if his play holds up.

Bakhtiari would be hitting free agency for the first time, and while he needs to cut down on penalties and isn't among the elite left tackles, he showed how important he is to the Packers when he was out with torn ankle ligaments. His financial future will be determined by what kind of season he has this year.

Finally, Tretter has proved he can be a starter at center, and it's going to be hard to keep him. Players with his intelligence, athletic ability and experience are rare, and he's not going to settle for a sucker's deal during the season knowing he could hit it big in free agency in 2017.

In addition to those four linemen, players scheduled to become free agents after the 2016 season are: running back Eddie Lacy, safety/cornerback Micah Hyde, defensive end Datone Jones, outside linebacker Julius Peppers, inside linebacker Sam Barrington, outside linebacker Jayrone Elliott (restricted) and defensive lineman Mike Pennel (restricted).

So, Thompson will have some decisions to make.

That's why a few promising low-salary options make a lot of sense. Not only could they be backup potential this year, they could fill key spots in 2017. Thompson will get another look at the talent in two weeks at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

It's a good year at the top of the draft for offensive tackles and an OK year for guards. Thompson might not be able to pass up some of the defensive line talent at the top of the draft, but at some point he'll be thinking about the future of his offensive line.

I don't think Packers fans should be worried, but fans of other teams may want to look into some of these pending free agents. Green Bay won't be keeping them all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chromatic posted:

Accurate as gently caress. That's me.

gently caress all of you. Go Jamaal Charles.

I remember the season that was me :allears:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember the season that was me :allears:

and now you aren't new anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge