Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which includes every Android tablet worth purchasing since the 2013 Nexus 7.

I mean, I'm not giving up my 2013 Nexus 7, but the Pixel C is hardly an anomaly for its SoC choice.

Galaxy Tab S2 is Exinos not Tegra. :)
Honest question. Are Nvidia soc's finally capable of decoding at least 720p h264 video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Which includes every Android tablet worth purchasing since the 2013 Nexus 7.

I mean, I'm not giving up my 2013 Nexus 7, but the Pixel C is hardly an anomaly for its SoC choice.

None of them have been remotely "worth" purchasing. Or is that :thejoke:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I've owned a few too many devices with Tegra SoCs so I know how loving awful that poo poo is (the Xoom remains my top life mistake by far) but why did it suck so much?

On paper, its a wet dream. High end chipmaker makes mobile device, leveraging their existing product line to create something good. In practice, it was an exercise in masochism. What went wrong?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Horn posted:

Except for the software the G2 was a pretty good phone. Until my proximity sensor got loose and I couldn't turn it on with out squeezing the top left corner of it. Moved onto a 6p but I really miss tap to wake.

If you're rooted, all you need is to enable it with a simple command

http://www.androidauthority.com/double-tap-to-wake-rooted-nexus-6p-653952/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Logikv9 posted:

I've owned a few too many devices with Tegra SoCs so I know how loving awful that poo poo is (the Xoom remains my top life mistake by far) but why did it suck so much?

On paper, its a wet dream. High end chipmaker makes mobile device, leveraging their existing product line to create something good. In practice, it was an exercise in masochism. What went wrong?

Both the Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 were VERY delayed. If they would have come out when they were supposed to, they would have been top end chipsets that got long and happy lives (assuming their support ended at the same time.)

Tegra 2 especially I think was nearly a year late.

Because they were late, their support life cycle was cut short. Nvidia famously didn't make drivers for Android for the Tegra 2 for ICS, causing several manufacturers to break upgrade promises.

They also had a ton of trouble supporting LTE which quickly made them unviable for phones.

As a result, Tegra 4 was only used on their own devices and the Surface 2.

Then the Nexus 9 showed up with the 64bit Denver that wasn't actually even a native ARM processor and suffered (and still sufferers) because of it. This was done because Google needed a 64bit processor RIGHT NOW to launch 64bit Android.

So, a lot of it has been overly aggressive timelines that couldn't be met without compromise. Over promising to OEMs and under delivering. Usually the end user is the one that got shafted for it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

broken clock opsec posted:

None of them have been remotely "worth" purchasing. Or is that :thejoke:
It's both. If you have to purchase an Android tablet today, it's a regretful choice between a nearly-three year old device, Tegra, and non-Nexus/Pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even the Tegra devices are well over a year old at this point. Pixel C is the only 'new' device.

Give me a new Nexus 7 (or 8), with a snapdragon 820, 3 GB of RAM, wireless and Quick Charge 3.0, and a 1440 screen and I'll be happier than a pig in poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Apparently 6.0 is finally starting to hit Samsung devices

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/four-months-later-first-samsung-marshmallow-update-comes-to-galaxy-s6

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MikusR posted:

Galaxy Tab S2 is Exinos not Tegra. :)
Honest question. Are Nvidia soc's finally capable of decoding at least 720p h264 video?

Well the garbage Nexus 7 2012 with bad memory that someone gave me manages it just fine, so I guess so!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So there isn't really a thread for this, but I just wanted to let you all know that I got to explain to a phone company employee today that their customer's Caller ID name was set correctly, and it was coming up as "stinky pussy" when she called someone because she'd been saved with that name in their contacts.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Alereon posted:

So there isn't really a thread for this, but I just wanted to let you all know that I got to explain to a phone company employee today that their customer's Caller ID name was set correctly, and it was coming up as "stinky pussy" when she called someone because she'd been saved with that name in their contacts.

I always get the name and notes fields mixed up too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Alereon posted:

Must have been quite a conversation.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
There actually are lovely free apps that display names from other users' contact lists, but I think this was a normal saved name issue. No way to know for sure though!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Apparently VZW had released the Marshmallow update for Droid Turbo 2 a day or two ago, but then they turned around and pulled the update page from their website. Unknown if the update ever was actually released, pulled, or what.

I hear that Ambient Display is removed, but Moto Display is still there.

What's the difference? Hell, I don't even know if I'm using Ambient Display or Moto Display now. Whatever it is, it's mostly the same as how Moto X (2013) was.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 16, 2016

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Doctor Butts posted:

Apparently VZW had released the Marshmallow update for Droid Turbo 2 a day or two ago, but then they turned around and pulled the update page from their website. Unknown if the update ever was actually released, pulled, or what.

I hear that Ambient Display is removed, but Moto Display is still there.

What's the difference? Hell, I don't even know if I'm using Ambient Display or Moto Display now. Whatever it is, it's mostly the same as how Moto X (2013) was.

Ambient https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TyhaOjME5g

Moto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_cMTxwbGg

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I bought a brand new Note 4. I have heard Samsung's pre-loaded stuff is garbage, as well as some of the T-Mobile cruft. What should I be disabling/deleting? I've never had a Samsung phone.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Tsurupettan posted:

I bought a brand new Note 4. I have heard Samsung's pre-loaded stuff is garbage, as well as some of the T-Mobile cruft. What should I be disabling/deleting? I've never had a Samsung phone.

better yet, just return it and buy a Nexus 6P. Then you don't have to worry about deleting stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I dunno if the 4 was any different, but the bloat on the Note 5 was extremely minimal and like I've posted before, the only things I have issues with are the notification tray being crap compared to stock and the memory management for multitasking (but that's improved).

I can't wait until 6.0 drops

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SB35 posted:

better yet, just return it and buy a Nexus 6P. Then you don't have to worry about deleting stuff.

Note 4 was Samsung's Last Good Phone. Lots of reasons to consider it over a 6P.

Cheaper (if used)
Stylus
Removable battery
SD slot (let's not whip ourselves up into an autism tornado over this, this time, some (or a lot of) people think these are pros okay)
Can very easily put CM on it anyway so who cares

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

Can very easily put CM on it anyway so who cares

Hey wait this was supposed to be a list of pros.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Hey, if I'm using LinkS2D on an SD card that's starting to fail/use bad sectors, is there a way to copy all of its volumes over to a card of the same capacity without having to reinstall everything?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

RoanHorse posted:

Hey, if I'm using LinkS2D on an SD card that's starting to fail/use bad sectors, is there a way to copy all of its volumes over to a card of the same capacity without having to reinstall everything?

Attach both the old and new SD to a computer and use disk duplicating software?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

Facebook, flipboard, google play movies & tv, google play music, google play newstand, intagram, pages manager, smart remote.

Daily Forecast posted:

Note 4 was Samsung's Last Good Phone.
Up to the point they released Note 5.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Why would you disable things like Google Play Music or Instagram if you use them...

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Rastor posted:

Attach both the old and new SD to a computer and use disk duplicating software?

I'm mostly wondering if anyone has had this work in the past. I know the process and I have the software but I don't want to gently caress anything up.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Marshmallow for my HTC One M8 dropped about a month back, and since updating Wi-Fi is almost entirely broken. WI-FI will connect, then drop randomly after a few minutes. After that it gets stuck on "Obtaining IP address..." for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Putting in and out of Airplane mode does nothing. Rebooting it does nothing. Hell, Settings > Backup & Reset > Network Settings Reset does nothing. I'm at far, far more time without WI-FI than with now, making my phone completely useless.

Google shows me some other people with the HTC One M8 + Marshmallow having similar problems, but no resolutions. Is there anything else I can try before I just bin this phone?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RoanHorse posted:

I'm mostly wondering if anyone has had this work in the past. I know the process and I have the software but I don't want to gently caress anything up.

Just try it.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I've had this OTA update on my S6 Edge (at&t) for awhile now and for whatever reason I can't seem to successfully install it. It's only like 101MB or so and I don't even know what it's for, but my phone constantly notifies me of it and tries to install it. Every time it gets to about 29% and then says Update Failed. Upon rebooting a message comes up telling me the install was interrupted. This has happened with probably every updated i've received since the phone came out. There was a patch for something literally at launch that I couldn't install and eventually when lollipop rolled out I got the same message. I wiped the cache, did a factory reset etc. Then after the 20th attempt it finally was able to install lollipop. Now I am back to failed updates. Is there any way to fix this without having to reset the phone again? I've cleared data on my phone, and wiped the cache partition and redownloaded the update several times, but it never goes through. I know I've been Samsung'd, but this is a little annoying now.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

thebushcommander posted:

I've had this OTA update on my S6 Edge (at&t) for awhile now and for whatever reason I can't seem to successfully install it. It's only like 101MB or so and I don't even know what it's for, but my phone constantly notifies me of it and tries to install it. Every time it gets to about 29% and then says Update Failed. Upon rebooting a message comes up telling me the install was interrupted. This has happened with probably every updated i've received since the phone came out. There was a patch for something literally at launch that I couldn't install and eventually when lollipop rolled out I got the same message. I wiped the cache, did a factory reset etc. Then after the 20th attempt it finally was able to install lollipop. Now I am back to failed updates. Is there any way to fix this without having to reset the phone again? I've cleared data on my phone, and wiped the cache partition and redownloaded the update several times, but it never goes through. I know I've been Samsung'd, but this is a little annoying now.

Try updating with Samsung Smart Switch. But it sounds that you have a faulty phone - that's what warranty is for.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

Just try it.

Alright then.

I used win32diskimager to write an image file of the broken SD card to my computer and then I went and wrote that image to the new one. Don't know if it's working yet but I'm booting everything up.

edit: appears to be working

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
General advice: Memory cards like MicroSD cards are made from the bottom quality tier of flash memory. Buying good quality memory cards for a major brand (SanDisk, Samsung) is smart, but even then you should plan for failures and back up anything important to you regularly.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

The failing card was a SanDisk and I did regular backups of the important files on it. I was just wanting to see if I could avoid having to start from scratch w/r/t partitions and the application data.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
So this is weird and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have a Nexus 6p that I really like but last night I was pairing it with the bluetooth stereo in a car I hadn't driven in since I got the phone and since then every time I connect the phone to the stereo (starting the car up after getting gas, whatever) the bluetooth volume will be all the way down so it's muted and I have to turn it up on the phone.

The really weird part is that as I try to turn the volume up by pressing the volume button on the side of the phone it will sometimes turn back down a notch or two for some really weird reason that I haven't been able to figure out, but the bigger issue is that I can't get the volume to not be muted when I connect the phone to the stereo over bluetooth (well, that plus the volume of a podcast or music I'm listening to is incredibly louder than the volume of any call I make on that same stereo so it results in the speakers being absurdly loud whenever I get off a call and the music or podcast starts up again).

Aside from turning the volume up on the phone so it's not muted, I'm not even sure that adjusting it at all makes a bit of difference in how loud the music is on the stereo, the only thing that seems to control that is the volume on the stereo itself, but as I said the volume from a call is really low so I have to turn the speaker volume up, and then when the music or podcast picks up again it's ridiculously loud.

Is my phone just being weird or is this something new with the latest version of Marshmallow or whatever the last Nexus security update did to the phone?

I haven't had a chance to test this with other bluetooth speakers so I don't know if it's limited to just this particular car stereo or if it's a wider-ranging issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wonder if any of the new flagship smartphones coming up will be using Sony's new stacked sensor.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/16/sony-s-new-smartphone-camera-sensor-is-smaller-and-cheaper/

Seems like it could be game changing with on chip hybrid auto focus and built in 3axis electronic IS. If the electronic IS works anywhere near as well as optical, this will be a far cheaper and easier way for smartphone manufacturers to get stabilized picture taking into phones.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

RoanHorse posted:

The failing card was a SanDisk and I did regular backups of the important files on it. I was just wanting to see if I could avoid having to start from scratch w/r/t partitions and the application data.

Sandisk is also the most commonly faked

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Sandisk is also the most commonly faked

I know, but I got this 64gb card from SanDisk directly, so I was confident it would last a while. :/
The best microsd I have is a Samsung 32gb class 10 from years ago. Never had any issues with it aside from it not working for recoveries for whatever reason.

There was a huge sale on amazon recently and I picked up a couple PNYs dirt cheap. I don't need them for very long so I don't particularly care if they die in the next year.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Tsurupettan posted:

You can disable and hide anything you don't plan to use, but there's really nothing in there that would even run without your input other than Google's apps, and I would advise against messing with those.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

I wonder if any of the new flagship smartphones coming up will be using Sony's new stacked sensor.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/16/sony-s-new-smartphone-camera-sensor-is-smaller-and-cheaper/

Seems like it could be game changing with on chip hybrid auto focus and built in 3axis electronic IS. If the electronic IS works anywhere near as well as optical, this will be a far cheaper and easier way for smartphone manufacturers to get stabilized picture taking into phones.

Bwahahahahaha

No.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

grack posted:

Bwahahahahaha

No.

Don't be quick to judge. Sony is using input from external gyro sensors for it. That immediately makes it better than systems that are simply comparing frames.

Keep in mind too that we are taking in context to smartphone level IS who's optical systems have limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My Zenfone 2 broke so I'm back to my Nexus 4 for the time being and I have to ask, was the N4 battery always this bad or am I crazy? My Zenfone will typically have 70-75% batteries left by the time I get home around 5 with moderate usage texting and reading SA. My N4 is at 31% batteries with two hours left until quittin' time and I haven't done jack poo poo with this phone today.