Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

DOOP posted:

What was with the Harriet Myers nomination? Was she legit unqualified or just not conservative enough?

Is it wrong I'd rather have her on the Court than Alito?

she was astoundingly unqualified. she wasn't even rejected for political reasons, it was because the people who interviewed her were dumbstruck by how little she knew about constitutional law

probably one of the most embarrassing/bizarre nominations in the history of the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

SousaphoneColossus posted:

You're right about the law being overbroad, but is this summary of the court's holding inaccurate?

Yes, and that's as it should be. Don't want to throw out the Skinny Puppy vids along with the twisted stuff you're actually trying to block production of.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Since the regulations don't even start to go into effect until 2018 it probably doesn't matter, but could the Administration meander an appeal of the injunction on the EPA back up the Court now that it'll be 4-4 and the lower court's ruling would hold?

Though now that I think about it, chances are the lower court would uphold the injunction on the grounds of the Supreme Court having already ok'd it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

eviltastic posted:

Yes, and that's as it should be. Don't want to throw out the Skinny Puppy vids along with the twisted stuff you're actually trying to block production of.

Not to mention there's a huge difference between videos depicting an activity and videos depicting you engaging in an activity. Most folks would agree that murdering IRL people is worse than killing squirrels, yet there's a thread on this very board where people post links to INSIL videos in the context of discussing world events.

Filming crush videos was already illegal under animal cruelty laws.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Not to mention there's a huge difference between videos depicting an activity and videos depicting you engaging in an activity. Most folks would agree that murdering IRL people is worse than killing squirrels, yet there's a thread on this very board where people post links to INSIL videos in the context of discussing world events.

Filming crush videos was already illegal under animal cruelty laws.

See also those laws to prevent filming animal cruelty sponsored by big agrofarms that got caught on hidden cameras abusing animals.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DOOP posted:

What was with the Harriet Myers nomination? Was she legit unqualified or just not conservative enough?

Her entire qualification was being Bush's personal lawyer.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

The new lie I'm hearing is "A supreme court justice hasn't been appointed in an election year since Rutherford Hayes," which is astonishingly bullshit, but it's what you'll be hearing everywhere because they're harping on it big time on the right wing radio shows.

At a glance from Wikipedia, 23 of the 112 SCOTUS judges were appointed during an election year - 20.5%, so only slightly lower than you'd expect from random chance. Any claim that they're not appointed in election years is utter hogwash that's easily disprovable.

vv Yes, and 20.5% is slightly lower than 25%, particularly if you account for basic statistical deviation.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 15, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

25% of years are election years I think.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DOOP posted:

She was absurdly unqualified, but what killed her is that she had no history that made Republicans confident she'd be a scalia-type conservative on the court and Republicans don't trust any nominee without that long history after getting so badly burned with Souter.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Whenever you're talking about the Supreme Court or the Presidency, the reality is that the sample size is way too small to make any sort of claim of precedent or "this is how we've always done it!" I brought up the "haven't done this in 80 years" argument to a friend who doesn't follow politics closely, and her immediate response was a puzzled look and "this has happened 80 times?" The argument isn't a strong one, and the Republicans know they're reaching.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It had to be pretty traumatic for conservatives to see Warren, Stevens and Souter all end up reliably liberal Justices.

The poor dears.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Rygar201 posted:

It had to be pretty traumatic for conservatives to see Warren, Stevens and Souter all end up reliably liberal Justices.

The poor dears.

They didn't take it well.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Litany Unheard posted:

The unstated "surprise" in the picture: the mailing address is in Belmont, MA, literally bordering Cambridge.

decarboxylated
May 4, 2006
cells!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The unstated "surprise" in the picture: the mailing address is in Belmont, MA, literally bordering Cambridge.

The John Birch Society used to be headquartered there

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

decarboxylated posted:

The John Birch Society used to be headquartered there

I was more meaning to highlight it as a "surprise" to those posters who didn't know that anti-liberal sentiment was quite widespread, even in areas we now consider to be deep blue, thanks in part to how busing impacting Northern cities as well as Southern ones. Indeed, one of the well-known anti-busing/anti-desegregation activists singled out in Perlstein's books, Louise Day Hicks, was primarily active in Boston. The fact that the Birchers were based there, too, only proves my point.

EDIT: And yes it absolutely was a racial thing that isn't exactly gone today. Just shifted because of white flight.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A hypothetical question for the thread: would you give more thought to the Republican's argument about waiting out the term if the previously elected president had died, and it was up to the former VP to make the nomination?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

A hypothetical question for the thread: would you give more thought to the Republican's argument about waiting out the term if the previously elected president had died, and it was up to the former VP to make the nomination?

I wouldn't, because the VP is elected specifically to carry out the duties of the President if needed. He/she is the backup President, and everyone understands this when they cast their vote.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

The official title for the former VP after the President has died is "President". The Constitution answers your question about the appropriateness of the President nominating justices to the Supreme Court.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

No, because the possibility of the VP becoming president in full is something that voters can, should, and do consider during the election. Blocking the VP-come-president's nomination is no different than blocking their anything else and essentially not allowing the government to do anything at all out of spite that it's not the president we elected.

If course, I basically just described the entire Obama presidency even though he was elected full-blown president, twice, and from what I understand it's also what happened during the entire Tyler VP-come-presidency... but if we are talking hypothetically about what should be, no, I don't think that would give nomination-blocking any firmer ground.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sirtommygunn posted:

The VP assumes the responsibilities of the President. If there's a problem with VP Palin/Ryan/Quayle, tough nouggies. We voted for the package deal.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

Vintage Conservative Tears

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

How would the president dying make him the former VP, unless you mean because he'd been bumped up to President, in which case well duh, he was on the ticket and legally elected too and everyone knows the VP's job is to take over for the president and go to funerals of foreign heads of state, so I don't really see the difference.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
While not in an election year, Gerald Ford --- who became President and wasn't even elected a VP --- did appoint one John Paul Stevens to the Supreme Court.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If the Dems can make hay out of this and win votes, more power to them, but I'm not really outraged at waiting until after the election to fill the vacancy. There is really no doubt in my mind that if their roles were exactly reversed (5-4 liberal majority, liberal dies, Republican president in an election year, Dem Senate), the Dems would probably not let the hypothetical Republican president flip the court in his last year. If Ginsburg would have died or if the right had a 6-3 majority, then it would be more likely that the GOP would let Obama have his pick.

I think most people would agree that if Scalia died 2 months before the election, it would be reasonable to wait until 2017, so the question is where to draw that arbitrary line. I pretty much think drawing it in the beginning of the president's last year is reasonable.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Northjayhawk posted:

If the Dems can make hay out of this and win votes, more power to them, but I'm not really outraged at waiting until after the election to fill the vacancy. There is really no doubt in my mind that if their roles were exactly reversed (5-4 liberal majority, liberal dies, Republican president in an election year, Dem Senate), the Dems would probably not let the hypothetical Republican president flip the court in his last year. If Ginsburg would have died or if the right had a 6-3 majority, then it would be more likely that the GOP would let Obama have his pick.

I think most people would agree that if Scalia died 2 months before the election, it would be reasonable to wait until 2017, so the question is where to draw that arbitrary line. I pretty much think drawing it in the beginning of the president's last year is reasonable.

The people elected the President to a four-year term, not a sort-of-four-year term with a bunch of exceptions in the last year. If a President can't appoint SCOTUS justices in their last year, what else should we block them from doing?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

I pretty much think drawing it in the beginning of the president's last year is reasonable.

It's really not, though. People joke about how nothing gets done in an election year, but it's a lamentation, not the way things are supposed to be. Obama was given a four-year mandate to do this, not three years and a one-year election break.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Litany Unheard posted:

If a President can't appoint SCOTUS justices in their last year, what else should we block them from doing?

As far as Republicans are concerned it depends, is the President black?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

The people elected the President to a four-year term, not a sort-of-four-year term with a bunch of exceptions in the last year. If a President can't appoint SCOTUS justices in their last year, what else should we block them from doing?

Obama won two landslide elections

Having him choose justices is antidemocratic.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Northjayhawk posted:

If you average the confirmation times for SCJ's since 1900, it's roughly 1/8 of a year. If you take the average confirmation time since Washington, it's about 1/16 of a year. The maximum time is 125 days; a year is 3 times that. So based on any objective measure waiting a year is unreasonable. Waiting to confirm is politically expedient, nothing more.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Northjayhawk posted:

If the Dems can make hay out of this and win votes, more power to them, but I'm not really outraged at waiting until after the election to fill the vacancy. There is really no doubt in my mind that if their roles were exactly reversed (5-4 liberal majority, liberal dies, Republican president in an election year, Dem Senate), the Dems would probably not let the hypothetical Republican president flip the court in his last year.

They definitely would have at least through 2004. By 2008 it wasn't happening but that was more of a Bush being historically terrible at governing thing.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

Lol if you think republicans wouldn't be screeching if it was Ginsburg. Everything he has done as president has been declared totally illegitimate, since day one.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Of course a VP who succeeded to the office would have the right (and constitutional duty) to nominate someone. Even in the hypothetical doomsday scenario where the entire cabinet was all in one place and a natural/manmade disaster kills everyone except the Secretary of Education, or whomever, that person would still be the President with all the powers and duties included in the office. And yes, even if it was just Obama and Biden out cruising in the Joe-mobile and Biden plowed off a bridge, leading to President Paul D. Ryan. It would be pretty terrible, and I personally would hate it, but that still wouldn't take away from the fact that Ryan now needed to nominate a new justice.

I'm kind of amazed with this idea that the 'lame duck' portion of the Obama presidency started with the first day of this year. They seem to keep trying to push it back further and further. Some Republicans no doubt want us to think that it started some time in 2008.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah the issue here is that their entire strategy now is to act like the President, if Obama (and probably, if Democrat, given the two leading candidates) is an evil illegitimate usurper who must be opposed at all costs and is the most divisive person imaginable, up to and including Satan Himself.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I think Lynch would look political. Nominating sri or kelly would have be a lot more apolitical. Plus Lynch's confirmation had 43 no votes.

I don't like lynch as the nominee from a political perspective- would be a lot harder to hammer the GOP on it in the fall.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I was more meaning to highlight it as a "surprise" to those posters who didn't know that anti-liberal sentiment was quite widespread, even in areas we now consider to be deep blue, thanks in part to how busing impacting Northern cities as well as Southern ones. Indeed, one of the well-known anti-busing/anti-desegregation activists singled out in Perlstein's books, Louise Day Hicks, was primarily active in Boston. The fact that the Birchers were based there, too, only proves my point.

EDIT: And yes it absolutely was a racial thing that isn't exactly gone today. Just shifted because of white flight.

Boston values

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mitt Romney posted:

I think Lynch would look political. Nominating sri or kelly would have be a lot more apolitical. Plus Lynch's confirmation had 43 no votes.

I don't like lynch as the nominee from a political perspective- would be a lot harder to hammer the GOP on it in the fall.

Also if she gets in, it means there's no AG until someone is nominated for the next president, and now is a pretty good time to have an AG.

Also, you know, conflicts forcing her to recuse herself on a variety of cases would be extremely frustrating (see Kagan, J.).

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

To be fair this photo is really misleading.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

To be fair this photo is really misleading.

Yeah, it looks like the angry man is going to spear him with the flagpole. He's actually only intending to beat him with it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

As far as Republicans are concerned it depends, is the President black?

This is important from an originalist perspective: if the founders never imagined a black president, then Obama nominating justices, or exercising any other presidential prerogatives is unconstitutional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How come the Chief Justice doesn't come from the existing panel of Supreme Court Justices?