Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

A long lasting peace none of them accept, except Indra.

Yeah its usually a gamble that someone doesn't ignore a treaty. Doesn't mean that Abby and Kane shouldn't have been more proactive about stopping Pike's warmongering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah its usually a gamble that someone doesn't ignore a treaty. Doesn't mean that Abby and Kane shouldn't have been more proactive about stopping Pike's warmongering.

There's literally no reason Pike should have been along at the summit either. Sure, pike probably wanted to go, but much like other noted dangerously unstable guy Jasper, he should be required to stay at home.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Azhais posted:

There's literally no reason Pike should have been along at the summit either. Sure, pike probably wanted to go, but much like other noted dangerously unstable guy Jasper, he should be required to stay at home.

Personal theory not based on anything, they let him go hoping he'd die.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand what Pike's plan is when they eventually run out of bullets. They live on the ground with thousands of grounders, and there are only 100s of Ark people left. Given the populations and armies we've seen, there's no reason to believe that there aren't hundreds of thousands of grounders alive in North America. Pike plan is literally to kill the only 300 grounders who are specifically not planning to kill them. This only sends one message, that you can't trust the Skaikru, and that the Skaikru is more trouble than they are worth. You can't wage guerrilla warfare when the enemy knows the terrain better than you. If a grounder army lays siege to Arkadia, that's game over.

edit:

Azhais posted:

Didn't he not go to the summit? He was at Mt. Weather when Echo showed up and told them the false intel. Then he went with Bellamy and crashed the summit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
edit: double post

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
a lot of people on tumblr are calling the writers racist for having the two poc men (beside Lincoln and Jaha I guess) be the ones to be racist against grounders haha

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tumblr has called the show racist for 3 years now.

I'm not sure if there's a specific thing that started it, but it's been a thing apparently.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it's weird because I thought the 100 is generally one of the more progressive shows. lots of non white actors playing major characters, full gay, women characters driving most of the action and having lots to do

guess people will complain about anything

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Forget it trop, it's tumblr.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

The Iron Rose posted:

Forget it trop, it's tumblr.

but how else will I passionately post about how much clexa is better than bellarke neener neener neener ???

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pike noticed Clarke's KDR and wanted to get up to speed.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Troposphere posted:

it's weird because I thought the 100 is generally one of the more progressive shows. lots of non white actors playing major characters, full gay, women characters driving most of the action and having lots to do

guess people will complain about anything

Yeah I would say this show's fandom is divided on "Yay so progressive" and "boo so racist." Every fandom is like that, it's not tumblr it's humanity :v:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
a lot of people are pissed Bellamy isn't the main character and it makes me really hope he dies this season

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

a lot of people are pissed Bellamy isn't the main character and it makes me really hope he dies this season

You shut your whore mouth.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

I hope lexa does it :smug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

I hope lexa does it :smug:

YOU BASTARD.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Troposphere posted:

I'm annoyed that he's being dumb. I legit thought when he sat down with Pike that he was baiting Pike out into a trap so that Indra could just kill them all before poo poo got started.

But I feel like this is the show. It's like what happened with Finn. Just because you're a strong young man, it doesn't mean you have what it takes to survive emotionally. Being tough, being strong, being ruthless, these are not enough on their own.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bellamy has always been dumb. I think everyone let a half season where his sadistic rear end in a top hat goals were aligned with the good characters distract you from what he is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Bellamy has always been dumb. I think everyone let a half season where his sadistic rear end in a top hat goals were aligned with the good characters distract you from what he is.

Yeah, but I felt like he was learning from Clarke. I think Clarke bailing basically doomed him.

edit: v Exactly! It felt like they were doing an interesting thing with him. Maybe they still are, but I don't really like him anymore.

Speaking of character's changing, I bet Jasper's stumble last episode becomes the catalyst for him getting his poo poo together.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 16, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Snak posted:

Yeah, but I felt like he was learning from Clarke.
Yeah the mountain eps were ridiculous but made him a good reformed-hero character.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Snak posted:

I don't understand what Pike's plan is when they eventually run out of bullets. They live on the ground with thousands of grounders, and there are only 100s of Ark people left. Given the populations and armies we've seen, there's no reason to believe that there aren't hundreds of thousands of grounders alive in North America. Pike plan is literally to kill the only 300 grounders who are specifically not planning to kill them. This only sends one message, that you can't trust the Skaikru, and that the Skaikru is more trouble than they are worth. You can't wage guerrilla warfare when the enemy knows the terrain better than you. If a grounder army lays siege to Arkadia, that's game over.

These are also the same grounders who left Skaikru to die a few months ago, and if Roan won, would have received the command to kill Skaikru in their beds. Skaikru have been receiving the poo poo end of the stick for a long time, and Kane's pacifism would likely get them all killed without even putting up a fight. Since forming an alliance, the Skaikru have been betrayed and left to die, had a bounty placed on their true "leader", and seen Mt. Weather blown up. Kane's response has been to turn the other cheek, and allow the grounders to escalate hostilities. There is no long term coexistence possible for these two sides. Pike wants to go down swinging, and the grounders don't know how much ammunition Arkadia has. Perhaps they removed it all from Mt. Weather before it was attacked. Massacring a few hundred grounders triggers a war that was coming anyway, but incites fear in the grounder army that thousands more will die in the conflict.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TyrantWD posted:

There is no long term coexistence possible for these two sides.
If we take this out of tv-land for a minute, then you make a peace and work to enforce it using all the leverage you have on both sides. After a couple generations its "the has it has always been" and things move on.

Thats boring for a show so here we are.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would think if Roan had won, Indra wouldn't follow an attack command on Arcadia.

Of course that doesn't matter to Pike.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Can't really have a conflict-driven show without conflict.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Aphrodite posted:

I would think if Roan had won, Indra wouldn't follow an attack command on Arcadia.

Of course that doesn't matter to Pike.

Indra obeyed the command to withdraw at Mt. Weather even though she disagreed with it. If a commander, with full support of the other clans, gives an order - she will follow it. She won't sacrifice her clan to protect Skaikru.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Also, since we haven't seen Jaha in 2 episodes, I assume we're up for an episode that's all about him. :barf:

Dude...

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Snak posted:

Also, since we haven't seen Jaha in 2 episodes, I assume we're up for an episode that's all about him. :barf:

Go float yourself

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My mind is ready to enter the City of Light for an episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The City of Light only exists so that it will be possible for Clarke to kill someone twice.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is that a bad thing? Are we going to count it in the official kill count as well?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The AI (A.L.I.E?) is, for all intents and purposes, the goddess of the underworld. If she acquires your soul while you are alive, you dwell in her domain after your death. In grounder culture, death means that your fight is over. The City of Light means that your fight is never over. I anticipate that someone that Clarke cares about, like her mother, will die but live on in the City of Light, and Clarke will have to struggle with destroying the city of light even though it means killing her mom for good.

Bellamy's recent fall may also be setting him up to receptive to the Cult of the City of Light.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It is not a cult, John.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I like that they've set Murphy up to be the voice of reason that no one trusts.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Murphy's character development is pretty good stuff, the kind that I feel like a sucker for buying into but absolutely have.

Troposphere posted:

Gotta admit, when Wells was capped immediately following his redemption in the first few episodes I didn't have great expectations wrt representation or writing (although I also had to find out what happened next goddamn) but I think the show has been fairly decent overall since then. There's some weird stuff here or there but they do well overall. I was especially surprised that the subtext between lexa clarke just became text.

Pike is kind of obviously a character who is black so that he can be racist in a way that isn't too uncomfortable or stereotypical which is kind of irritating but they also have enough nonwhite characters to avoid the worst of it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Pike is kind of obviously a character who is black so that he can be racist in a way that isn't too uncomfortable or stereotypical which is kind of irritating but they also have enough nonwhite characters to avoid the worst of it.

Eagerly awaiting his briefing about "Operation: Get Behind The Whities"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

Yeah but he keeps straight up saying poo poo that Kane is turning a blind eye to. Doesn't he literally say "the only good grounder is a dead grounder"? He leads his people in a chant of "grounder-killers, one and all!", and his people are on such a different page that they literally assault grounders who were invited into Arkadia by Kane/Abby. It's one thing if they don't believe he's really a bad person, but it's another to not reign in his behavior. If any of the main characters from the last season were being smart at all they would recognize how dangerous the situation is.

The thing is though, Kane and Abby were alpha'd by her teen daughter last season--at one point, Clarke was effectively their leader. I think they would have handed it back to Jaha if he'd been a little less Jaha. It doesn't shock me they'd roll over to Pike.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

The thing is though, Kane and Abby were alpha'd by her teen daughter last season--at one point, Clarke was effectively their leader. I think they would have handed it back to Jaha if he'd been a little less Jaha. It doesn't shock me they'd roll over to Pike.

Yeah, it's not that any specific character hasn't raised a stink, it's that none of them have. Between Raven, Octavia, Kane, Abby, Sinclair, Indra, Monty, Jasper, and Bellamy, not a single one of them has brought up the seriousness of this situation with another character. I guess they're trying to make a point about how ignoring hateful behavior is what allows it to flourish, but it just bugs me that none of the characters who I know are bothered by this have expressed real concern.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think the main problem is that Kane and Clarke are the only two members of skycrew that are capable of making rational decisions

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That is also true. I do think that a lot of terrible decisions can be chalked up to "living on the ark didn't remotely prepare them for operating with options". Live spent their whole lives in a society with rigidly enforced system. Even with their Earthskills classes and history classes and all that poo poo, they are all just armchair generals who have never lived in a culture where it was even viable to change the shape of things. They've had zero experience with societal change or foreign relations. How could they have? And this means that they have no frame of reference for the motivations of the grounder leaders. That's what sets apart people like Clarke, Kane, Jaha, and Octavia. They see new ways. People like Bellamy, Pike, and Jasper, are stuck in the old ways and they are still seeing the world through the lens of their Arker mindsets.

edit: I was just thinking about it, and I think the whole thing, Pike winning the election, might even be part of Abby's and Kane's plan. They let Pike get elected, but coordinate with Indra to have him ambushed and killed. If the grounders kill anyone who doesn't surrender, and Chancellorship falls back to whoever got the second-most votes: Kane. Now all the real pschos are a dead and everyone else has seen the error in not trying to make peace with the grounders. Kane and Skaikru take their place as the 13th tribe of the Coalition. Then, at the end of the season, when Lexa dies, Clarke becomes Heda. Or you know, probably none of that.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm still kind of hoping that there are some Arkers who have terrible agoraphobia from growing up in a small enclosed space.

• Locked thread