Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Anytime I'm in a new bar that's what I order, if they gently caress that up its not worth coming back to.

Finally ordered my tickets for the 500, down low in turn 1 at the start of the short chute. Here's to no airborne incidents, because that debris is coming right at me. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Oh drat, I almost forgot to mention the Union Jack on W. 25th Street (not the one on Broad Ripple). It is crammed full of racing memorabilia and the food is pretty good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Downtown: I mean, compared to the rest of Indianapolis...

yeah that's an important note. indy's downtown (the actual part of that is a downtown, which is small) is very nice and new, but it's mostly "great" in comparison to the rest of the city, which you probably wouldn't recognize as a city were it not called one. my brother is fond of calling it a "wide suburb" and i think that's pretty accurate.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

Finally ordered my tickets for the 500, down low in turn 1 at the start of the short chute. Here's to no airborne incidents, because that debris is coming right at me. :unsmigghh:

They just finished completely replacing the catch fence all around the track so you'll be just fine.

The mesh is finer and it's easier to see through :getin:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Nice thanks for all the info! I imagine it'll hot as hell too.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

harperdc posted:

Where in The Netherlands? Brands Hatch are you loving kidding, no chance in a modern F1 car, too short even with the long loop (there's only two FIA grade 1 circuits under 4 km, bet you can't guess what they are!). Portugal? Not enough cash.

From the FIA List, the Grade 1 Circuits under 4km are:

Bahrain (oasis circuit)
Bahrain (outer circuit)
Bahrain (paddock circuit)
Monaco
Moscow Raceway

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's great living in America and primarily watching American racing where we can ignore all the corrupt FIA bullshit like circuit "grades" and "super licenses" and focus on our own corrupt bullshit instead.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 is so much better at being corrupt than american motorsport. truly is the pinnacle

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

anotherblownsave posted:

You coming in early enough for carb day too?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

be nice wicka posted:

F1 is so much better at being corrupt than american motorsport. truly is the pinnacle

Its always gonna be funny to me that Moscow Raceway was built for F1, and F1 races instead on a loving street circuit in Sochi.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

devmd01 posted:

You coming in early enough for carb day too?

I'll be there from Friday to Monday

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ellspurs posted:

From the FIA List, the Grade 1 Circuits under 4km are:

Bahrain (oasis circuit)
Bahrain (outer circuit)
Bahrain (paddock circuit)
Monaco
Moscow Raceway

Missed Moscow but Bahrain was what I was thinking of. Understandable they have different layouts meeting grade 1 but still kinda strange.

If you want to run Brands in a DW12, looks like you'll be able to soon in Project CARS...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

also, yes, 100%, i've been to many races at IMS and it's always guaranteed to be loving ungodly hot. bring a lot of sunscreen unless you're lucky and your seats are covered.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ChampCar ran the Brands Hatch Indy circuit in 2003. They were lapping in like 39 something seconds and it was great. I think that was one of Bourdais first wins?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

indycar needs to run CoTA or montreal or something, i'd love to get a real comparison vs F1. ideally montreal since that's not really a downforce track and F1 cars are for sure generating way more downforce than indycars.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

If you want to run Brands in a DW12, looks like you'll be able to soon in Project CARS...

Or you could just get iRacing and race that combo right now :smugdog:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

be nice wicka posted:

indycar needs to run CoTA or montreal or something, i'd love to get a real comparison vs F1. ideally montreal since that's not really a downforce track and F1 cars are for sure generating way more downforce than indycars.

The aerokits have bumped IndyCars over F1 in total downforce. AR1 heard that Honda's max numbers were something like 7000lbs@200mph in RC setup, which is partially what lead to the series mandating reinforced front wing mounting parts from Dallara.

But IndyCars are obviously heavier. But they also have bigger tire contact patches. But a smaller contact/weight ratio. And they generally run harder tire compounds than F1. But Firestone's tire compounds themselves are probably better. But the Dallara suspension setups are probably less advanced as they are spec/purposefully overbuilt some teams have to replace parts less.

Basically what I'm saying is P1 cars probably win in all of these categories anyway.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

The aerokits have bumped IndyCars over F1 in total downforce. AR1 heard that Honda's max numbers were something like 7000lbs@200mph in RC setup, which is partially what lead to the series mandating reinforced front wing mounting parts from Dallara.

But IndyCars are obviously heavier. But they also have bigger tire contact patches. But a smaller contact/weight ratio. And they generally run harder tire compounds than F1. But Firestone's tire compounds themselves are probably better. But the Dallara suspension setups are probably less advanced as they are spec/purposefully overbuilt some teams have to replace parts less.

Basically what I'm saying is P1 cars probably win in all of these categories anyway.

WEC shares several tracks with F1 and they're generally at least a couple seconds slower. i had no idea about the rest of that though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

be nice wicka posted:

WEC shares several tracks with F1 and they're generally at least a couple seconds slower. i had no idea about the rest of that though.

Yeah, i think a lot of that is down to P1's bein fuckin fatties. P1 is 1930lb minimum vs 1548lb for F1. I think for raw grip, the P1s are pretty mighty right now.

Penske tested at COTA last year but I don't think they ever released numbers because it was pre-homologation aerokit testing. Would be interesting to get that straight ICS/F1 comparison, but F1 would probably still rule even without the aero.

e: i think since everybody weighs differently with like fuel/driver and stuff, a better comparison is:

F1: 1,415
ICS: 1,575
P1: 1,930
Cup: 3,400

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 16, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
F1 and IndyCar are pretty equal on weight with P1 about 400 pounds heavier. P1 probably has an edge in horsepower and delivery over F1 but it doesn't make up for the weight. For comparison, F1 was about seven and a half seconds quicker at Silverstone last year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

yeah that's an important note. indy's downtown (the actual part of that is a downtown, which is small) is very nice and new, but it's mostly "great" in comparison to the rest of the city, which you probably wouldn't recognize as a city were it not called one. my brother is fond of calling it a "wide suburb" and i think that's pretty accurate.

Yup. I mean even compared to the cultural void and endless sprawl that is the Phoenix metro, it really isn't that much to write home about. If you have nothing better to do on Saturday (and that's not much of a stretch) and you want to experience something of a downtown, you're better off road tripping to Chicago. I did that for the first time last year and even though we only hit the Field and Shedd, it was awesome.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Generally when I'm in Indy I'm usually visiting family and around my dad's old stomping grounds up in Lafayette.

It's Arni's or Pizza King for Pizza. Or GTFO.

Mug N' Bun's root beer and onion rings are awesome. I do love that place.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Missed Moscow but Bahrain was what I was thinking of. Understandable they have different layouts meeting grade 1 but still kinda strange.

Those are short versions all though, the actual F1 layout is well over 5km.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Indycar at the full Brands Hatch circuit would be cool.

Both European ovals, Brands Hatch, Zolder and Paul Ricard.

I'd really like to see them through money at making Eurospeedway and Rockingham both full time events. I'd love to see Nationwide run those two ovals in the vain of "NASCAR THUNDER" as well.

I'm unsure if you'd be able to sell it to European race fans. I don't know if people in Germany would care about IndyCar to buy a ticket and I imagine the sport isn't well known in the UK as well? I think NASCAR missed the boat by not trying to run a few races over there as I think that's generally what comes to mind when you ask europeans what American race fans like.

e: I do wonder if any of the past european drivers are well known to anyone who's even the least bit interested in racing?

-Zanardi?
-Luyendyk?
-Dario? (this one I'm leaning towards "no")
-Blundell? (leaning toward "yes" due to F1)
-Papis?
-Brack?
-Bourdais? (maybe? I think "worst thread" considers him a joke though)
-Pagenaud?
-Servia? (doubt it when compared to Alonso)
-Wheldon? (see Dario)

I know Villeneuve and Montoya are likely known, but I imagine there Indy career's are probably "footnotes" to many F1/European fans.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 16, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It'd likely be the same as the NFL, people would show up the first time out of curiosity but it'd be diminishing returns if they tried to make it a regular thing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we are now at the "planning a tentative global schedule despite the series being on life support in its #1 market" portion of the thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

there are too many tracks in the US indycar isn't visiting for them to consider europe

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

njsykora posted:

It'd likely be the same as the NFL, people would show up the first time out of curiosity but it'd be diminishing returns if they tried to make it a regular thing.

I'm not sure that's a great example. I thought they'd easily sold out every game in the UK and they've announced they're going to be a playing a lot more of them here in future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

I'm not sure that's a great example. I thought they'd easily sold out every game in the UK and they've announced they're going to be a playing a lot more of them here in future.

What I've heard is there's less and less interest as more and more of the UK games involve the Jaguars. They might still be selling tickets, but the TV coverage is hyped less and its not covered in the news any more because its none of the major teams playing. There were a lot of articles I read last year about how the whole idea would collapse if they did what's been rumoured and make the Jaguars a UK home team.

Though having said all that, motorsport is a very different thing to football. A better example would be to look at the 2001 and 2002 CART races at Rockingham, they didn't exactly pack the place in 2001 and 2002 had even fewer people there. Probably part of why the Rockingham oval stopped being used. Though Euro NASCAR seems to do alright so who the gently caress knows.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 16, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

be nice wicka posted:

I guess you can do a very rough cross-reference of comparable performance by comparing F1 laptimes with champcar laptimes at Montreal, and then champcar laptimes with DW12 laptimes at other tracks they both ran at some point, but :effort:

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 16, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

With a reduction in downforce, could the series ever return to more 1.5 mile ovals?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If they can run Texas, I really don't see why not, it's just that those ovals didn't really draw crowds.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Bentai posted:

With a reduction in downforce, could the series ever return to more 1.5 mile ovals?

Crowds and how much they'd have to convince Bruton Smith or the France's to get more ovals is what's keeping them away.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Crowds and how much they'd have to convince Bruton Smith or the France's to get more ovals is what's keeping them away.

crowds suck across the board for some cup events, and most trucks/XFS events.

difference being? Those events get paid for being on television regardless whether or not someone shows up to the track or not.

IndyCar could sell out say Phoenix, and in theory? would make less money than one cup race for Phoenix even if said event was like 40 percent full.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 16, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Helicon One posted:

I guess you can do a very rough cross-reference of comparable performance by comparing F1 laptimes with champcar laptimes at Montreal, and then champcar laptimes with DW12 laptimes at other tracks they both ran at some point, but :effort:

The F1 cars at the time were much faster at Montreal IIRC but it also must be said that the early 2000s F1 cars had unlimted Aero, bespoke tires, and 69 Billion dollar budgets.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/allmendinger-ill-never-race-an-open-cockpit-indycar-after-wilsons-death-673739/

quote:

After the loss of Wilson in an accident at Pocono Raceway in August of last year, Allmendinger, 34, said his days in open-wheel racing are over – unless he can be persuaded otherwise by closed-cockpit safety.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did Dinger have any legit shot at an open-wheeled ride this year?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Maybe a one-off at Indy, but I think that was about it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did Dinger have any legit shot at an open-wheeled ride this year?

I do not recall any reference of Dinger's name at Media Day a couple weeks ago

/me runs to grab my press conference transcripts

No references to Dinger, only Hildebrand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

brant james ‏@brantjames
Kasey Kahne says he put out some feelers about a run in 100th Indianapolis 500, but nothing came to fruition. #nascar @IndyCar

:negative:

UGH! Come on IndyCar owners. Dude would be a legit threat to actually WIN the double, or at the very least? The 600? That's gotta be worth something to sponsors!

• Locked thread