Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

*Looks meaningfully at pestilence at common.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Alris posted:

Think its it worth it to bite the bullet on Jace, Vryn's Prodigy now when they're $80-ish?

If you want to use it in standard it's unlikely the price will drop much. If you're interested in non-standard just wait for rotation this fall.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sarmhan posted:

Because it's one of the most famous cards in Magic history, with a ton of history attached to it? If there's one card you're going to put at mythic to move packs in a legacy-reprint set, it's going to be the card that defines legacy.

Okay that's not a good reason that's a "gently caress you give me my money" reason. Which translates to "gently caress you."

Literally The Worst posted:

You mean the uncommon that they've said would be at least a rare by current standards? Which is getting printed in a set that will presumably contain modern power level cards?

Yeah I can't think of why they might not print that at UC clearly it's just spite

The uncommon that isn't being reprinted in a standard or modern legal set but a reprint set that they decided to up its rarity by two levels to make it a chase card because "gently caress you." FoW was garbage when it was printed. Not many people played it. I have mine from those times because I cracked them, that's why I actually have them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

suicidesteve posted:

You know what else was an uncommon that nobody whined about being reprinted as a mythic? Sol Ring. Because it has a HUGE impact on the game. I don't know if you noticed but old WotC didn't exactly know what rarity cards should be. Tinker, for example, is one of the most broken cards of all time and is uncommon.

When was Sol Ring reprinted at mythic because it's still got an uncommon symbol in the commander decks

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay that's not a good reason that's a "gently caress you give me my money" reason. Which translates to "gently caress you."
I'm not sure you understand the point of Magic: The Gathering.
Seriously of all the moves putting the most iconic card in legacy at mythic is pretty whatever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

You know what else was an uncommon that nobody whined about being reprinted as a mythic? Sol Ring. Because it has a HUGE impact on the game. I don't know if you noticed but old WotC didn't exactly know what rarity cards should be. Tinker, for example, is one of the most broken cards of all time and is uncommon.

The one they jam into every commander deck now as an auto include? Yeah I still have my revised ones.

sarmhan posted:

I'm not sure you understand the point of Magic: The Gathering.
Seriously of all the moves putting the most iconic card in legacy at mythic is pretty whatever.

Oh no I called that they would do it. What better way to get people into legacy then making necessary cards almost impossible to get? It's the most Wizards thing ever. No it's fine that they are doing it they can do what they want. But don't pretend that there is a good reason to do aside from gently caress you give me money.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 16, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The uncommon that isn't being reprinted in a standard or modern legal set but a reprint set that they decided to up its rarity by two levels to make it a chase card because "gently caress you." FoW was garbage when it was printed. Not many people played it. I have mine from those times because I cracked them, that's why I actually have them.

Hmmmmm perhaps it's not garbage now and that factors into rarity perhaps

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

When was Sol Ring reprinted at mythic because it's still got an uncommon symbol in the commander decks

VMA.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The one they jam into every commander deck now as an auto include? Yeah I still have my revised ones.

What does this have to do with anything? You're crying because an uncommon was reprinted at mythic in a draft set. I gave you another example of the same thing happening. Why aren't you crying about mythic Sol Rings?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

It is in Vintage Masters. The only reason is for the purposes of drafting it because Sol Ring in a draft is an outrageous card to have.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in Eternal Masters as a mythic rare, but I'd rather not have Sol Ring taking up a mythic slot when we need other cards in that space.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Hmmmmm perhaps it's not garbage now and that factors into rarity perhaps

So making a card that was uncommon that is expensive and people need in order to play blue in legacy a mythic chase rare for no reason other than it will sell packs is a GOOD reason and does NOT constitute a gently caress you.

I think you are crazy if you believe that.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh no I called that they would do it. What better way to get people into legacy then making necessary cards almost impossible to get? It's the most Wizards thing ever. No it's fine that they are doing it they can do what they want. But don't pretend that there is a good reason to do aside from gently caress you give me money.
You do realize the only way we'd ever get a force reprint was at mythic right? There's far to much equity there for Wizards to just throw away by putting it at regular rare. Rarity then doesn't really play into rarity now anyway- as others have said pre-masques rarity is just a hodgepodge and shouldn't be emulated. You seem stuck on the 'it was an uncommon' angle, when it shouldn't have been at uncommon in the first place, and it was originally printed 20 years-ish ago.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So making a card that was uncommon that is expensive and people need in order to play blue in legacy a mythic chase rare for no reason other than it will sell packs is a GOOD reason and does NOT constitute a gently caress you.

Yes. And again, it should not have been an uncommon. The fact that it was ever an uncommon was a huge mistake to begin with, so crying that it's not still uncommon is really stupid.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

What does this have to do with anything? You're crying because an uncommon was reprinted at mythic in a draft set. I gave you another example of the same thing happening. Why aren't you crying about mythic Sol Rings?

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH a draft set.

No one is drafting this poo poo more than twice unless they hate themselves. gently caress draft.

This set is to cater to people to play legacy and vintage, making a staple 4 of card mythic is a dick move. We all saw it coming, still a duck move. I want MORE people able to play legacy. Keeping the card prices too high doesn't do anything to get people into legacy. Printing FoW at mythic means blue decks have a floor of 500 bucks minimum for the counter spells alone.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No one is drafting this poo poo more than twice unless they hate themselves. gently caress draft.

This set is to cater to people to play legacy and vintage, making a staple 4 of card mythic is a dick move. We all saw it coming, still a duck move. I want MORE people able to play legacy. Keeping the card prices too high doesn't do anything to get people into legacy. Printing FoW at mythic means blue decks have a floor of 500 bucks minimum for the counter spells alone.

"We know of 2 cards in this set but I already know it's terrible to draft and nobody's going to draft it."

jfc Do you ever read your posts?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

:fuckoff:
A lot of people enjoyed drafting MM1, and to a lesser extent MM2. Drafting is one of the most popular ways to play Magic, especially online. If you're going to be a goddamn baby about draft influencing your precious reprints I'm not sure there's any point continuing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Yes. And again, it should not have been an uncommon. The fact that it was ever an uncommon was a huge mistake to begin with, so crying that it's not still uncommon is really stupid.

No it wasn't a mistake. It had absolutely no effect on the game back when it was printed. Did you play back then? I did. All the time. FoW was not a big deal. It was printed right where it needed to be.

It's not like it's being printed in standard. It's being printed in a "get more people to play legacy" set . It could be common and it wouldn't change anything except blue decks would be easier for people to afford. This is a straight money grab. Which again is cool just don't say they have a good reason beyond money to do it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I just gave you a reason and you went OH SO NO REASON AT ALL ITS A gently caress YOU

Learn to English

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No it wasn't a mistake. It had absolutely no effect on the game back when it was printed. Did you play back then? I did. All the time. FoW was not a big deal. It was printed right where it needed to be.
Good thing we aren't stuck in 1990s era Magic. Again you seem stuck on how things were and not what they are/should be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's not like it's being printed in standard. It's being printed in a "get more people to play legacy" set . It could be common and it wouldn't change anything except blue decks would be easier for people to afford. This is a straight money grab. Which again is cool just don't say they have a good reason beyond money to do it.

And it being at common would have no effect on the draft environment it exists in

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
A Seahawks fan has dumb opinions? Well I never :monocle:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

"We know of 2 cards in this set but I already know it's terrible to draft and nobody's going to draft it."

jfc Do you ever read your posts?

How often do you think people are going to break out 40-50 bucks to draft this?

I just gave you a reason and you went OH SO NO REASON AT ALL ITS A gently caress YOU

Learn to English

You gave me not a good reason. I asked for a good reason. It being a good card is not a good reason to make it hard as hell to get when it used to be easy to get unless the reason is to make more money.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As many times as they are able?
And a shitload online regardless.
I guess if you don't do it, it doesn't exist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You gave me not a good reason. I asked for a good reason. It being a good card is not a good reason to make it hard as hell to get when it used to be easy to get unless the reason is to make more money.

What would qualify as a good reason for you because everything you've said is stupid as hell

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
It got called weird earlier but Errant Gin Monks is literally being that guy who is angry about Smash 4 not having wavedashing.

I understand where you're coming from, EGM, but they just aren't going to reprint FoW at uncommon

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

sarmhan posted:

Because it's one of the most famous cards in Magic history, with a ton of history attached to it? If there's one card you're going to put at mythic to move packs in a legacy-reprint set, it's going to be the card that defines legacy.

Brainstorm is a common. So you mean brainstorm will also be a mythic. Because gently caress you.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Brainstorm is a common. So you mean brainstorm will also be a mythic. Because gently caress you.
Except brainstorm doesn't have a ton of reprint equity in it, and really has nothing mythic about it while force actually does as a free counterspell.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

It got called weird earlier but Errant Gin Monks is literally being that guy who is angry about Smash 4 not having wavedashing.

I understand where you're coming from, EGM, but they just aren't going to reprint FoW at uncommon

Don't think anyone is saying FoW should have been an Uncommon. It could have been a rare. But it is a mythic and magic thread gotta bitch about coulda-shoulda-woulda.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It almost seems like you silly people are happy that this is going to be mythic. Jesus. :cripes:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

What would qualify as a good reason for you because everything you've said is stupid as hell

Let me try to say this calmly.

If you are building a limited print set that is to increase the card pool of old cards, and the purpose of this set is to increase the availability to the players to enter these expensive formats, why would you make one of the most required and heavily played cards in the format so hard to get? If your entire reasoning is to make this format accessible, restricting the supply of a card that if you don't have you are basically eliminated from using 2/3 of the decks in the format , makes no sense.

This is a card that wasn't hard to get back then. It was everywhere. Restricting it's reprinting will not help to get people into more affordable decks and into the format.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I'm not saying it should be Mythic or I support that decision, just that it will be. It's a marquee card that's never, to my knowledge, been reprinted in paper and it costs more than $150. It's a Legendary Land, a card type they print exceedingly rarely, less than one per block.
It'll be Mythic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 16, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sickening posted:

It almost seems like you silly people are happy that this is going to be mythic. Jesus. :cripes:
I'm not happy about it, I'm just not offended by it.

And again EGM who the gently caress actually cares about what force was like 20 years ago? It really doesn't play into the current game at all, it had a tiny fraction of the current playerbase and much more inconsistent design.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bhsman posted:

Oh yeah I knew it wasn't coming back as uncommon. But mythic isn't going to budge the price, and that sucks since it will mean legacy still won't grow.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PJOmega posted:

Don't think anyone is saying FoW should have been an Uncommon. It could have been a rare. But it is a mythic and magic thread gotta bitch about coulda-shoulda-woulda.

That one guy is literally saying it should be an uncommon

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you are building a limited print set that is to increase the card pool of old cards, and the purpose of this set is to increase the availability to the players to enter these expensive formats, why would you make one of the most required and heavily played cards in the format so hard to get? If your entire reasoning is to make this format accessible, restricting the supply of a card that if you don't have you are basically eliminated from using 2/3 of the decks in the format , makes no sense.

This is a card that wasn't hard to get back then. It was everywhere. Restricting it's reprinting will not help to get people into more affordable decks and into the format.

So answer my question

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sarmhan posted:

I'm not happy about it, I'm just not offended by it.

And again EGM who the gently caress actually cares about what force was like 20 years ago? It really doesn't play into the current game at all, it had a tiny fraction of the current playerbase and much more inconsistent design.

I don't feel like he was offended by it, he simply called it a money grab. It is a money grab and its so obvious that I have no idea how dumb you would have to be to argue against it.

That one guy is literally saying it should be an uncommon

Nobody said this? I get that card store employees aren't exactly bright, but holy gently caress.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

So answer my question

I did at the beginning, there is no good reason for it. That's why it translates to "gently caress you."

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sickening posted:

I don't feel like he was offended by it, he simply called it a money grab. It is a money grab and its so obvious that I have no idea how dumb you would have to be to argue against it.

loving thank you.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't think it's controversial to have a frugal mentality towards this kind of thing and to in turn not be especially excited at the concept of ten dollar packs with very in-demand cards at higher rarities. I'd love for Magic to be more accessible and reasonable in terms of monetary cost and I agree with the attitude that them being so timid about rocking the boat can be frustrating. You can't just address this is terms of the limited environment or whatever without also dealing with the elephant in the room that is MSRP, rarities and demand for certain singles for constructed. It's not going to help the health of formats and that insane barrier to entry if they're just going to do stuff like this that's really nothing more than an uncomfortable reminder that Wizard's primary concern, even if it's never overtly stated, is maintaining the equilibrium they've reached with the second hand market in terms of selling sealed product for better or for worse. That's all.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
All of magic is a money grab. That's the point of a company existing. To make money. Pointing at one random bit and smuggly claiming to be the smart person seeing that one thing is a money grab is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Errant Gin Monks posted:

While I think if it's done right drafting this will be cool and fun, I hear you on Masters sets being a bit goofy in trying to please two masters but FoW at anything but at least rare was never on the table at any point.

Maybe they need to make precons or some other supplementary products that don't have drafting as a primary consideration for Legacy and Vintage. Then again event decks have been murdered.

• Locked thread