Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ithle01 posted:

I imagine Wallenstein gets questioned more because his own side was the one that got rid of him (twice) and at the end just about everyone had a vested interest in pointing out as many of his flaws as possible.
his life was the goatfucker joke of politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Which is probably why theres more footage these days. I remember the original invasion of Iraq being way more managed.

Not as many iconic images coming from the ME. This line did cause me to watch a couple of John Pilger docos on YouTube. Good stuff.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

"I hanged a thousand men to instill military discipline, and do they call me the Hanging Duke? Oh, for real? Well, carry on then I guess."

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

feedmegin posted:

Which is probably why theres more footage these days. I remember the original invasion of Iraq being way more managed.

How prevalent were cameras among GIs before the advent of digital cameras?

When I was Iraq in '05, everyone had a digital camera and most of them could take at least short videos.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm imagining someone having to sit Wallenstein down and explain, very carefully and slowly, that sometimes, just maybe, people think differently to the way he does

And then they get henked by the Herzog.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i wonder if they were aware that their nicknames were, for the most part, boss as hell

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thalantos posted:

How prevalent were cameras among GIs before the advent of digital cameras?

When I was Iraq in '05, everyone had a digital camera and most of them could take at least short videos.

I had a great uncle who hauled a small video camera all over Korea in the Korean War. Obviously no combat footage but lots of everything else. He was kind of a camera geek but it wasn't like it was impossible even then. He also had a smaller regular camera he hauled everywhere. Lots of nob combat but still very near the front photos from that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lots of nob combat

Kinky

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had a great uncle who hauled a small video camera all over Korea in the Korean War. Obviously no combat footage but lots of everything else. He was kind of a camera geek but it wasn't like it was impossible even then. He also had a smaller regular camera he hauled everywhere. Lots of nob combat but still very near the front photos from that.

Er, pics or it didn't happen?

By the way, why didn't the Brits go with sloped armor for Cromwell? They must have had some experience with the Crusader turret

Love the Crusader, by the way, it's all slow and sleek and sexy like that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

By the way, why didn't the Brits go with sloped armor for Cromwell? They must have had some experience with the Crusader turret

Love the Crusader, by the way, it's all slow and sleek and sexy like that.

The crusader's turret was cramped, wasn't it?

Also, shot trap!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Buy the book, advertise the book, push it on your friends and relatives

100 Years Ago

Rain stops play once more at Verdun. In the meantime, there's an Anglo-French conference of the organ grinders to hammer out certain details regarding the summer offensive, and General Haig seems to have done very well indeed out of it. In the Caucasus, Tafet Fort falls and the Ottomans begin fleeing Erzurum; at Kut the world begins to fall out of artillery Captain Edward Mouseley's bottom; Malcolm White is doing fatigues at Rouen; and Bernard Adams is learning his patch at the Bois Francais.

quote:

We were in those trenches for over four months, and I know them as one knows the creakings of the doors at home, the subtle smell of the bath-room, the dusty atmosphere of the box-room, or the lowness of the cellar door. Particularly intimate are the recollections of dug-outs, with their good or bad conveniences in the way of beds and tables, their beams that smote you on the head as regularly as clockwork, or their peculiarly musty smell. One dug-out invariably smelt of high rodent; another of sand-bag, nothing but sand-bag.

And the wacky beat goes on.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lots of nob combat

Royal Marines, was he? :dong:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ithle01 posted:

a highly organized eccentric with absolutely no regard for the well-being of others
Every now and then you can get a glimpse of something else, like the letter to someone on his estates where he reminds them to be sure to plant sweet violets since the Duchess of Friedland likes them. Also he and Pappenheim were bros for life.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Went back to the Artillery museum and took some real photos, here's some of the T-80B. I really need to get a polarized light filter for my camera as all the pictures of the display cases inside have reflections :sigh:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

JcDent posted:

They're all in storage or I would

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Next, here's something for you ~battleship chat~ folks.

Oh and JaucheCharly, I got Mario'd as it seems that the archery stuff is in another castle the Hermitage, reportedly. The only bow that I saw today was a crossbow.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xerxes17 posted:

Oh and JaucheCharly, I got Mario'd as it seems that the archery stuff is in another castle the Hermitage, reportedly. The only bow that I saw today was a crossbow.

I was going to use this as an excuse to post some of my pics (and still will!) from the Hermitage but it turns out that when I got to that room I was too busy taking pictures of cool armor and dope swords, sorry JC!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

Every now and then you can get a glimpse of something else, like the letter to someone on his estates where he reminds them to be sure to plant sweet violets since the Duchess of Friedland likes them. Also he and Pappenheim were bros for life.

Huh, well he certainly wouldn't be the first general to have a distinct difference between his personal and professional lives. I gotta ask, since I have no idea where to look for this, how long did Pappenheim and Wallenstein actually know each other and work together? Sometimes the time scale of things is very strange. For example people love to talk about Gustav Adolphus' contribution to the 30yw, but he really didn't fight in it for long. Although I guess fighting in Poland can count towards the 'official' total.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ithle01 posted:

Huh, well he certainly wouldn't be the first general to have a distinct difference between his personal and professional lives. I gotta ask, since I have no idea where to look for this, how long did Pappenheim and Wallenstein actually know each other and work together? Sometimes the time scale of things is very strange. For example people love to talk about Gustav Adolphus' contribution to the 30yw, but he really didn't fight in it for long. Although I guess fighting in Poland can count towards the 'official' total.
I don't think that's it--there's not really a distinction between the personal and the professional, or the public and the private, in this period. He may have liked his wife, in his distant, clumsy way.

That cold, unblinking gaze sometimes worked out for the benefit of the people he dealt with, he was supposedly an excellent feudal lord: since a prosperous people is good for him, he endowed free schools and did a lot of things to foster the economic development of his holdings. My favorite anecdote here is when he decided to outlaw poverty in the Duchy of Mecklenburg by funding a poor relief program by progressive taxation--he told the Estates of Mecklenburg that unless they agreed to the new taxes he would "lay their heads between their feet," and then he locked them in a room with him until they agreed. It took a few hours.

I don't actually know when Pappenheim and Wallenstein learned about each other. They were friends by the siege of Stralsund, since Pappenheim wrote to the Elector of Bavaria at around this time how unfortunate it was that everyone believed such false things about Wallenstein. (Not sure why he wrote that to the Bavarian Elector--he and Wallenstein loving hated each other) So from some time before Stralsund until Pappenheim's death, which was in Nov '32. There's a bunch of cases in history where a general and his immediate subordinate will just click really well and spend the rest of that time tag-teaming their enemies, like Lee and Jackson.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 15, 2016

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, thats kinda what I was getting at, is that back in the day only "camera geeks" had this equipment, whereas now, everyone's got some kind of way to take video.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, thats kinda what I was getting at, is that back in the day only "camera geeks" had this equipment, whereas now, everyone's got some kind of way to take video.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty sure it was a film not a video camera in the Korean war.

Has anyone posted about Antonio López de Santa Anna?

He has to be due for a nomination as worst general ever. He turned certain victories into massive defeats. Had a funeral for his leg. Then lost several wooden legs to his opponents. Was literally caught napping at the Battle of San Jacinto. His subsequent capture and release was considered by some of his opponents as a stroke of genius. He could do far more damage to the Mexican cause fighting on their side. Some say the criticism is unfair and he was astute at political manoeuvring. All in all a fascinating guy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thalantos posted:

Edit: ^^*^^^*^
whatever moving pictures fen the 50s

For a valentines tale:

My great uncle was a few years behind my other great uncle and my grandfather [3 brothers] who fought the Japanese in ww2. The Korea uncle always fell in love with a Japanese girl while on leave from Korea. He always said he didn't marry her because his brothers "didn't want a jap inn the family".

Dude died single at 86.

When I was cleaning out his apartment I found a poo poo ton of photos of a Japanese lady from the 50s and letters dated into the 70s addressed to "my love" from Japan

He died single never married. :smith:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

For a valentines tale:

My great uncle was a few years behind my other great uncle and my grandfather [3 brothers] who fought the Japanese in ww2. The Korea uncle always fell in love with a Japanese girl while on leave from Korea. He always said he didn't marry her because his brothers "didn't want a jap inn the family".

Dude died single at 86.

When I was cleaning out his apartment I found a poo poo ton of photos of a Japanese lady from the 50s and letters dated into the 70s addressed to "my love" from Japan

Good story for Valentine's Day.

:smith:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
wait were they still corresponding into the 70s or was he only drafting the letters without sending them to the love he never got to have :ohdear:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Koramei posted:

wait were they still corresponding into the 70s or was he only drafting the letters without sending them to the love he never got to have :ohdear:

I don't want to be a downer but letters from Japan to "my love" would indicate he wasn't writing them :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Koramei posted:

The letters were from Japan so probably the former.

If it was the latter that would be even sadder. :smith:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

JcDent posted:

Yeah, they hadn't lost a war against media way back then.

When the US launched Operation Restore Hope to occupy Mogadishu via aerial and amphibious assault there were media waiting on the beaches, as if they had been tipped off to the landing zone.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Ubiquitous surveillance to the point that being off the grid is itself an identifying characteristic that allows tracking for the nefarious purposes of... selling us poo poo. Each of us assigned a number at birth. We participate gladly, and shame those who don't.

Yeah, basically cyberpunk dystopia :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zH9Zca1vRM

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

For a valentines tale:

Dude died single at 86.

Yaaaaaay.

I've got a letter from my great-grandparents detailing the horrible implications of my grandfather marrying his Oriental girlfriend. Fortunately for me he stuck it out.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

So, who are some monarchs or rulers of countries who managed to get themselves captured in (or in the immediate aftermath of) battle? Off the top of my head there's Napoleon III, John II of France, and that poor fucker Emperor Valerian, but I'm sure there's more.

Richard III went a step further and got himself killed at the battle of Bosworth, which effectively ended the middle ages in England.
Thomas Moore and Shakespeare had him down as a scum bag but he was in reality probably a pretty good King.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Empress Theonora posted:

So, who are some monarchs or rulers of countries who managed to get themselves captured in (or in the immediate aftermath of) battle? Off the top of my head there's Napoleon III, John II of France, and that poor fucker Emperor Valerian, but I'm sure there's more.

Jefferson Davis was caught during the closing stages of the ACW. Francis I of France was captured during the Battle of Pavia.

Kemper Boyd fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 15, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Quote is not edit.

Kemper Boyd fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 15, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-sc8mQxPHs

100 Years Ago

Yes, the wind and the rain continues to raineth every day at Verdun. Which is where we find yet another, even better comprehensive intelligence report landing on the desk of General Herr. Sadly, the Chief is too busy lecturing Wully Robertson about Salonika to take much notice. The Russians continue marching inexorably on through the Caucasus and into eastern Anatolia, Albania continues to be occupied, and speaking of accurate intelligence reports, one General Zupelli is hearing some nasty things about how Conrad von Hotzendorf wants to launch a "Punishment Expedition" over the Italian border...

On a personnel level. E.S. Thompson gets a large bollocking and lots of drill; Clifford Wells has been given a complete and total bullshit merchant for a batman (which may well prove useful when he gets to France); and at Kut, Captain Edward Mouseley's horse is trying to eat some of the other horses.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

I accidentally skipped this for the IJA explosives start so today's update is a short one that focuses on the nomenclature and designations given to the various bombs and explosives in the IJA and IJN inventory.

What did the No.# signify? What do the various "Marks" mean? How were older bombs assembled compared to the newer ones? Check the blog to find out!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Jefferson Davis was caught during the closing stages of the ACW.
was it in battle though? i don't think so

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's more 1984 than it is Shadowrun.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

was it in battle though? i don't think so

Wasn't he trying to escape while crossdressing?

Also, Norwegian Tankchat

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Extra Credits has just released a new video about the battle of kursk!

This should be good.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

the a little bit pregnant joke also works--turns out you can't commit a little bit of treason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

the a little bit pregnant joke also works--turns out you can't commit a little bit of treason

Yeah, the proper term is "light treason".

• Locked thread