Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhiaGAnOalA

Vanguard vs Fatguard

Hilarious comparison of how the sexy Vanguard concept has turned into a fat whale.

I saw that video a few days ago, it lead me to believe that CIG has to cut spacecraft fidelity to make the game, probably both on technical grounds and also on time budget grounds. The fastest way through the engineering debt is to systematically cut corners everywhere.

I saw the idea that CIG missed the optimum timing for SQ42. I agree with that hypothesis, by the end of this year, the discerning space gamer will have:
Elite behaving like full Star Citizen PU 1.0
Various AAA RPG games, Andromeda?
No Man's Sky for procedural exploration
Space Engineer and Kerbal Space Program 1.1
And in development
Ever Space for freelancer inspired rogue-like
Rogue System for DCS style spaceships
Infinity: Battlescape for seamless solar system combat
(Possibly) Starfighter Inc for newtonian arena combat

Every possible space game niche will be filled or about to be filled, with clear progress driven by good designers. The quality of space games will never have been higher, CIG will look pathetic in comparison.

The only remaining niche for Star Citizen is second life in space, but Chris Roberts wants to build SQ42, bad dialogue with bad gameplay, set against the greatest range of space gameplay imaginable,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hello Sandi!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

She has 7K followers on Twitter. Claudia Black, for example, has 12K, so Sandi Gardner is an actress that is almost as famous and successful as her :)

Your loving joking... No your not.

Claudia Black is an exceptional voice actress. Pretty good all around. Absolutely MILES ahead of Sandi Gardiner unless shes doing a "Your fired because i hate you" scene.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is my favorite new thing

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

fuctifino posted:

Hello Sandi!

lol these are great

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

grimcreaper posted:

Your loving joking... No your not.

Claudia Black is an exceptional voice actress. Pretty good all around. Absolutely MILES ahead of Sandi Gardiner unless shes doing a "Your fired because i hate you" scene.

Claudia Black is a really good screen actress too, Pitch Black is a super underrated movie and and she was very good in Farscape.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone do that tweet with with a ms paint marine biology diploma

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someone photoshop Croberts on here, tia

Re: Punchable Croberts

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
did anything happen since page 1900 or are we just spam shitposting to get to 2000

(doin my part :911:)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Very strange

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
No joke I've legit got a deep cover account in a VERY prominent SC org. I've had it a LONG time I could have pushed for a higher rank in the leadership but I don't have time to juggle so many roles. Plus there's always the risk of going native when the game comes out and it's actually fun. Can't wait to flee to goon space with like 5 years worth of inventory that a bunch of nerds paid REAL money for.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

No joke I've legit got a deep cover account in a VERY prominent SC org. I've had it a LONG time I could have pushed for a higher rank in the leadership but I don't have time to juggle so many roles. Plus there's always the risk of going native when the game comes out and it's actually fun. Can't wait to flee to goon space with like 5 years worth of inventory that a bunch of nerds paid REAL money for.

please remember to speak in code when on RSI forums thankyou

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Amarcarts posted:

Time for a meeting of the Star Citizen Committee on Goon activities. This post will make organizations go crazy :yarg:

Also, I bet the new CIG forum rules are designed to legitimize auto banning of anyone using PAARP :gary:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This is your best work yet commando, just look at all those downvotes! :qq:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

The more you know: The story of the game/movie was developed together with Moorcock and later released as a book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743408675/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-8459250-8162845

Bonus: The cover says "A Novel of the Multiverse".

This article is a real time capsule:
http://venturebeat.com/community/2012/09/12/chasing-silverheart/

It's from 9/2012 , when RSI was announced and more or less sums up what the last 1950+ pages were about. Sorry if it is old news, but I found it a very interesting read.

quote:

"[Roberts explains, why "Silverheart" failed:]
"We were in production on Silverheart at OSI before I left but we could never get the tech to work. We needed a livign breathing city – something Assasin's Creed does so well nowadays"

Michael Moorcock's answer is also interesting:

quote:

"In another reply in the same year, he [Moorcock] describes just how massive the writing project was:
I was originally asked to provide a scenario for a game. My condition, in writing the game, which at the time was going to be live action movie/game as some of Chris Roberts's other games, was that we dump genre conventions and didn't have super villains with booming voices for a start, but people with different interests, different moral notions of how to order the world. Once we'd agreed the basic idea I sat down and began a scenario so detailed that it became a short novel of some 45,000 words. By this time we also had the script I had produced for the movie and for the game — re-done from the original ideas. It's still ambitious, but I don't think we'll have live action. I haven't asked Chris what he thinks."

And:

"We also get some idea, at least from Moorcock's side, of how much the project cost before it was apparently canned by EA in a reply dated January 22, 2002:

You might be thinking of SILVERHEART, which was originally done for Origin (Electronic Arts) and then taking over by Digital Anvil (essentially Microsoft) but by last year they had disappeared and I really have no idea any more what's happening with the game, which exists in very sophisticated script form, with the entire game mapped out. They had done about $2m worth of work on it — some superb fresh artwork, great new engines — when EA pulled the plug. D.Anvil presumably now own the rights, but I don't know what's happened to them!"

I don't know about you, but as Roberts by now has solved the technical problems and won't run out of money, I have a pretty good feeling about this. See you in the multi'verse, commadnos!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

grimcreaper posted:

Very few things make me cringe.. Holy poo poo, Fiber Glass Lube. "Ground into fine 1cm long slivers, this is THE lube to help make you REALLY feel the love of the Stimpire. Happy Day-After-Valentines!"

Yikes. That actually nauseated me a bit.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

did anything happen since page 1900 or are we just spam shitposting to get to 2000

(doin my part :911:)

:pgabz:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

captain b'tak crying at his keyboard, hammering out "i TOLD you guys, i TOLD you"

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So who was the brave battering ram pilot? Or did you just film random people crashing into other ships because that's the only thing you can really do there.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Eonwe posted:

Someone do that tweet with with a ms paint marine biology diploma

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 16, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

find me a more punchable face, I dare you

choosing war criminals is cheating

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

Ooops!

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

if Erin can go from this fat to what he is now

then that guy in the background could still have some hope

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

find me a more punchable face, I dare you

choosing war criminals is cheating

challenged accepted!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Honest question, does it have to be stuff just on their head or can we take their clothes into account? Because that bow tie needs to be destroyed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Those reddit folk sure are uptight

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Not what you asked but a little better I think :

i'm dead

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

peter gabriel posted:

Very strange

he iz goon :troll:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Haskell9 posted:

he iz goon :troll:

Seems like a very toxic community imo

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chewie, we're home

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Dickwulf and Criblex?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I didn't realise Chris was part of the Zoo organisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlWQ3s5Xc8

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/45x3cr/rest_in_peace_original_vanguard_rest_in_peace/

when their JPEG does not look the same as the GIF they are given lol

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

not much happening in the yad cept good jokes and fun times discussing current news

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sperglord posted:

I saw that video a few days ago, it lead me to believe that CIG has to cut spacecraft fidelity to make the game, probably both on technical grounds and also on time budget grounds. The fastest way through the engineering debt is to systematically cut corners everywhere.

I saw the idea that CIG missed the optimum timing for SQ42. I agree with that hypothesis, by the end of this year, the discerning space gamer will have:
Elite behaving like full Star Citizen PU 1.0
Various AAA RPG games, Andromeda?
No Man's Sky for procedural exploration
Space Engineer and Kerbal Space Program 1.1
And in development
Ever Space for freelancer inspired rogue-like
Rogue System for DCS style spaceships
Infinity: Battlescape for seamless solar system combat
(Possibly) Starfighter Inc for newtonian arena combat

Every possible space game niche will be filled or about to be filled, with clear progress driven by good designers. The quality of space games will never have been higher, CIG will look pathetic in comparison.

The only remaining niche for Star Citizen is second life in space, but Chris Roberts wants to build SQ42, bad dialogue with bad gameplay, set against the greatest range of space gameplay imaginable,

Imagine how far ahead they would be if they had actually released the loving thing on time. It would have capitalized on the flaws of Elite, notably the lack of content and player agency, while providing a cinematic single player experience that no other game in the genre could have matched. The sad part is that the success of Star Citizen really has revitalized the space sim genre, bringing a lot of attention to a severely neglected subset of gaming. Chris Roberts simply failed to learn from all of his previous mistakes and now he's one terrible launch away from being the laughingstock of the game development community for the rest of his lift.

And he loving deserves it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

hahhaaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Now I kinda want to run naked over a parking lot and touch things with my dick to make them explode.

• Locked thread