Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Honestly, if I were a hotshot MechWarrior in the Inner Sphere, I'd rather be a Solaris pilot than a merc. More avenues to make money, less likely to irreparably lose your ride, more fame and glory, more comfort to be had when not fighting, etc. Granted, it'd suck to end up as one of the nobody jobbers in that situation and maybe those guys are better off as a merc, but even more likely they'd be better off selling their mech and doing something else with the money. Especially if they've got a particularly crappy light mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They could buy an agri-mech and be the farm king.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

goatface posted:

They could buy an agri-mech and be the farm king.

The Long-Lost Cousin to the Urbanmech: The Ruralmech.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Long-Lost Cousin to the Urbanmech: The Ruralmech.

Just waiting on the NAIS to finally develop some fertilizer ammo for their ACs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pussy Cartel posted:

Just waiting on the NAIS to finally develop some fertilizer ammo for their ACs.

They've already got it, they just don't use it because all the reviews said the rounds were poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

they'd be better off selling their mech and doing something else with the money. Especially if they've got a particularly crappy light mech.

Except at this point in the game mech ownership directly correlates to elevated social status. You might be an impoverished knight but you're still a knight. The mech's expensive but selling it won't make a baron out of you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaodai posted:

They've already got it, they just don't use it because all the reviews said the rounds were poo poo.

:golfclap:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
And we get to what everyone's most interested in:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^^
Case in point. At least that guy has a fully tricked out suicide sled.

dis astranagant posted:

Except at this point in the game mech ownership directly correlates to elevated social status. You might be an impoverished knight but you're still a knight. The mech's expensive but selling it won't make a baron out of you.

As a mercenary? Not so much. You just earned the right to get shot in the face on behalf of some faction that doesn't even consider you a person.

I'd rather be rich and comfortable, which still allows you to thumb your nose at dirt farming peasants than broke and expendable to the aristocracy for some nebulous pursuit of honorable combat to stroke your e-peen.

[EDIT] Though I do acknowledge that the value of those situations would vary from person to person, so some people would choose the honor. Those people would mostly end up dead or dispossessed anyway, but they'd have their pride!

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 15, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Awww yea no ejection system. On a locust.

e: What does compact 'Mech do quirk wise? Something similar to low profile?
Gunnery 3 with accurate weapon on a LPL is pretty sweet though.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 15, 2016

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Compact mech makes it take less room in a dropship.

I'm surprised it's got more CT armor than head armor.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Extended Torso twist helps too. Basically an obsidian shiv, really sharp, and potentially dangerous, will shatter if it gets hit.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Ride or die 'mech right there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

XL, endo, and a smallcockpit?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

SIGSEGV posted:

Compact mech makes it take less room in a dropship.
I'm surprised it's got more CT armor than head armor.

That's because PTN likes his players. Don't confuse that with his dice. Those DO hate the players ;).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

XL, endo, and a smallcockpit?

XL, Endo, FF.

Gwaihir posted:

Gotta make sacrifices to fit a large pulse laser into the space normally occupied by a medium.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Man, those Locusts are going to want to have as high a move mod as possible, just as a survival technique.

Hopefully this map has a lot of concrete :getin:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm so happy you used the common MWO locust builds.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

I'm so happy you used the common MWO locust builds.

One of them even suffers from ghost heat! :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

^^^^^^
Case in point. At least that guy has a fully tricked out suicide sled.

As a mercenary? Not so much. You just earned the right to get shot in the face on behalf of some faction that doesn't even consider you a person.

I'd rather be rich and comfortable, which still allows you to thumb your nose at dirt farming peasants than broke and expendable to the aristocracy for some nebulous pursuit of honorable combat to stroke your e-peen.

[EDIT] Though I do acknowledge that the value of those situations would vary from person to person, so some people would choose the honor. Those people would mostly end up dead or dispossessed anyway, but they'd have their pride!

It's less about honor and more about you're likely someone without marketable skills besides mech owner/operator. You could just as easily sell off your expensive inherited status symbol and lose your shirt when the startup costs of your newly chosen profession are far more than anticipated (and almost certainly depend on heavy amounts of graft you can't afford). Better do what you know, especially when what you know makes you a highly sought after defense contractor.

A successful merc campaign makes drug cartel level bank. A cbill is roughly a tenner. Those contracts had base pay that amounts to multimillions per head and they didn't even go that much of a year. A "broke" mechwarrior (not dispossessed) has multiple upper middle class employees willing to follow him to the other end of the Inner Sphere to chase a buck. They're used to a high standard of living that they can't keep if they get rid of the mech.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I admire it's purity.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

drat, that's... specialized.

And happy 1500 pages, PTN.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

dis astranagant posted:

It's less about honor and more about you're likely someone without marketable skills besides mech owner/operator. You could just as easily sell off your expensive inherited status symbol and lose your shirt when the startup costs of your newly chosen profession are far more than anticipated (and almost certainly depend on heavy amounts of graft you can't afford). Better do what you know, especially when what you know makes you a highly sought after defense contractor.

A successful merc campaign makes drug cartel level bank. A cbill is roughly a tenner. Those contracts had base pay that amounts to multimillions per head and they didn't even go that much of a year. A "broke" mechwarrior (not dispossessed) has multiple upper middle class employees willing to follow him to the other end of the Inner Sphere to chase a buck. They're used to a high standard of living that they can't keep if they get rid of the mech.

You're also a single dice roll (metaphorically in-universe) away from being homeless and still having no marketable skills. You don't put your trust fund into a solid gold Yugo.

You can only mitigate so much risk by choosing (what you believe to be) wise contracts. Sooner or later you walk into a trap, or your intel doesn't know about the Assault lance that just touched down, or you just get TAC'd by an inferior opponent because of bad luck. As a merc, you're already doing work someone else either can't or won't do, and you're putting both your life and your entire livelihood on the line for it. Drug cartel level money is all well and good, except being in a drug cartel seems safe by comparison.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Extended torso twist basically means it can do a 180, so nowhere is safe from the locust.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Man, Gunnery 3, an LPL, and the Accurate Weapon quirk to boot. That's kind of scary for a Locust. Would make for an excellent Light 'Mech Hunter. It gots the speed to run down other light Mechs, the accuracy needed to negate their movement mods, and its weapon is potent enough to take another Light Mech out with only a couple of hits.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rorahusky posted:

Man, Gunnery 3, an LPL, and the Accurate Weapon quirk to boot. That's kind of scary for a Locust. Would make for an excellent Light 'Mech Hunter. It gots the speed to run down other light Mechs, the accuracy needed to negate their movement mods, and its weapon is potent enough to take another Light Mech out with only a couple of hits.

The 'Mech equivalent of a Jagdpanzer?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

You're also a single dice roll (metaphorically in-universe) away from being homeless and still having no marketable skills

Hole digging economy.

Your options are to fight in a BattleMech or spend the rest of your life digging holes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thread just keeps getting better and better :allears: What does "accurate weapon" do, just a 1 bonus to hitting things?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Thread just keeps getting better and better :allears: What does "accurate weapon" do, just a 1 bonus to hitting things?

Yup. So, he's effectively gunnery 2, which is really flippin' good.

Basically it means he's going to be shooting at a lot of 5s and 6s, or 7s and 8s at medium range.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, that's pretty much everyone with fancy stuff. Here's the company together and--

-- huh.

SLDF olive drab may be too effective as camouflage with the map colors I've set up, I might wind up changing the Po's colors and outlining whatever the hell those other things are.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 16, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Given that the Locusts are being handed out as a paired set, someone is going to have alot of fun in their future. Every turn will be an adrenaline junkie's dream~

The downside, though, is a missed order might just mean straight death to both their rides. Deep fried locusts, anyone?

E: Also, cannot for the life of me shake a memory. I will forever be seeing the Pulsar Locust's pilot as a Redline Pilot from the CCG.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 16, 2016

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I'm guessing that means Andurien won then? With the SLDF drab green being the wolverines or whatever abjured clan we saw earlier.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The LPL Locust-1V is hilarious in Mechwarrior Online

so glad to see it's a killer in PTN's thread

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, that's pretty much everyone with fancy stuff. Here's the company together and--

-- huh.

SLDF olive drab may be too effective as camouflage with the map colors I've set up, I might wind up changing the Po's colors and outlining whatever the hell those other things are.

Giving them a white outline outside the black one may also help them stand out.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

apostateCourier posted:

Yup. So, he's effectively gunnery 2, which is really flippin' good.

Not to mention the -1 for being a Pulse weapon. Gunnery 1 for that weapon. On a 'Mech that can get into position on drat near anything.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

berryjon posted:

Not to mention the -1 for being a Pulse weapon. Gunnery 1 for that weapon. On a 'Mech that can get into position on drat near anything.

Oh. I thought pulse was -2?

Oh. Effective gunnery 0. Well then.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 16, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

apostateCourier posted:

Oh. I thought pulse was -2?

I could have sworn it was only a -1. But yeah, -1. Effective Gunnery 0 with that weapon. That's... scary.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

berryjon posted:

I could have sworn it was only a -1. But yeah, -1. Effective Gunnery 0 with that weapon. That's... scary.

At least it's not a Clan lpl

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Let's be reasonable now, that's only a single LPL's worth of near-guaranteed damage at a range that the Clans would consider practically melee and which barely dances out of the reach of an IS medium laser or AC/20.

It's a light hunter, possibly a backbiter against anything heavier, but you don't want to send it up against a hard target without having at least built up its full move mod or as close to it as possible. So it's probably better off chasing after targets of opportunity rather than being a bold and ballsy hunter-killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Let's be reasonable now, that's only a single LPL's worth of near-guaranteed damage at a range that the Clans would consider practically melee and which barely dances out of the reach of an IS medium laser or AC/20.

It's a light hunter, possibly a backbiter against anything heavier, but you don't want to send it up against a hard target without having at least built up its full move mod or as close to it as possible. So it's probably better off chasing after targets of opportunity rather than being a bold and ballsy hunter-killer.

OTOH, PTN plays a fluffy game most of the time and there are few targets a Clanner is less interested in than a loving Locust. Give him something, anything, else to shoot at and he's probably not going to shoot you. Especially since you should almost always be +4 or +5 to hit. Your own to hits are good enough that it's probably worth hanging out at long range since most anything they'll shoot you with would be at +6 or +7 while you're still hitting better than most pilots would at short range.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 16, 2016

• Locked thread