Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
when did people start caring about the opinions of people who do facecam lps

like its not even a horror game why do we need to see your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hakkesshu posted:

She doesn't have an obligation to do that. It would be nice and polite of her, but it's not really her responsibility to qualify her opinions, she's not press.

Why should anyone respect your opinions if you don't qualify them? In most cases the qualification doesn't need to be said and it's just inferred, but the way she's choosing to show the game to other people is very specific in its presentation. It's a way that 99% of people who play the game won't experience it in. Not taking that into account in how you feel about the game is poor form. And you're right, nobody is required to have a thought-out point of view, but the larger your reach is the more important it should be to you to do so.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2016

codespace
May 3, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

That sort of begs the question of why she was making it.

It's a new game that a lot of people are talking about, and she runs a monetized YouTube channel. No great mystery there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CJacobs posted:

Sure, but the critical difference is that if you have 120,000 subscribers on your youtube channel, you probably should take the 5 seconds to make note of the fact that playing the game live for an audience might have something to do with how you perceived it.

I don't think the people she's broadcasting too need the fact that she is broadcasting and they are not explained to them.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

brylcreem posted:

Emma Blackery is not impressed by the game.

https://youtu.be/MwUf7cLJBrw

don't know who this is, but judging by the conversation taking place in the thread now, I'm pretty sure I'm better off not knowing!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

CJacobs posted:

From a response from her in the comments:

It's really just not her kind of game. But how about maybe don't do a let's play of it for your youtube channel that is representative of the game if it's not your kind of game, then??

edit:

of course, it not being her kind of game doesn't exempt her from bein kind of a poo poo about it. yeah, get in those snipes at the game you did a full playthrough of. that'll show it. :rolleyes:

You seem pretty pissed off at this woman who said she doesn't like a game you like.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJacobs posted:

Sure, but the critical difference is that if you have 120,000 subscribers on your youtube channel, you probably should take the 5 seconds to make note of the fact that playing the game live for an audience might have something to do with how you perceived it.

Why... why does this matter? :confused: Who cares?

This is like when I see people get mad at Game Grumps when Arin is bad at a game, but blames the game instead of himself. Is the game a personal family member? Or like are you personal friends with all the thousands of people watching?

Also her complaints are perfectly valid

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just finished this. +1 for being underwhelmed with the ending, but overall I enjoyed it. I think I would have liked it a lot more if there hadn't been a hype train around it which I totally bought into.

Is there a graphic somewhere of the different choices you can make and their results? My understanding is this game can diverge quite a bit, but I felt like I was getting railroaded the whole time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm under the impression that there aren't any big differences, just different lines of dialog.

I'm still not certain why people are saying nothing makes sense. It felt like all the characters were doing what they would actually do and none of them are 100% mentally sound. Henry's probably the most capable person in the story and he's still somewhat not-okay. Everything else made sense to me and fit together properly without any leaps in logic or plot holes.

I can mildly understand the idea of the ending being disappointing in the whole, "Well this is over I guess," sense but as far as the other complaints I see no issue with how it ended.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm under the impression that there aren't any big differences, just different lines of dialog.

I'm still not certain why people are saying nothing makes sense. It felt like all the characters were doing what they would actually do and none of them are 100% mentally sound. Henry's probably the most capable person in the story and he's still somewhat not-okay. Everything else made sense to me and fit together properly without any leaps in logic or plot holes.

I can mildly understand the idea of the ending being disappointing in the whole, "Well this is over I guess," sense but as far as the other complaints I see no issue with how it ended.

I've been trying to be patient while reading the thread, but it seems more and more likely that the answer is that a lot of people have very little experience outside of typical movie and videogame stories/narrative and expect everything to be neat and tidy, perfectly explained and to have exciting resolution to everything.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've been trying to be patient while reading the thread, but it seems more and more likely that the answer is that a lot of people have very little experience outside of typical movie and videogame stories/narrative and expect everything to be neat and tidy, perfectly explained and to have exciting resolution to everything.

What about Firewatch 2? Obviously the devs didn't think about turning this into a blockbuster franchise.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
In the last page or so, some posters have countered arguments about weak motives in the game's plot by pointing out some optional edification towards the end of the game. I realized that I overlooked some of this stuff as well, so here's my two cents on why myself and others may have missed things or may not have taken the time to search around more carefully.

Specifically, Re: any notes or journals that Ned left in his spider-hole.

First off, Ned lays his whole deal out in an audio log that you have to listen to before you can even climb up to his camp. That explained the previous events of the plot away sufficiently for me.

Also, the whole area was supposed to be on fire, and I remember feeling like I was in a hurry. I think Henry should have been feeling like he needed to be in a desperate rush at that point, so maybe I just internalized what I thought my video game man should feel into some kind of role-play autism.

Lastly, I was expecting Henry was about to finally meet Delilah face to face. I was way more interested in what that was going to be like versus poking around Ned's trash pile any longer any longer than would be required to find more corpses.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Re: end of game, you can't really have it both ways though? If you're so invested in the conspiracy angle here's your payoff and look behind the curtain, why would you just ignore it? I like that they didn't railroad you - nothing forces you into Ned's cave after all. It seemed to me that you could actually skip the entire sequence but I didn't try (going up the rope to the overlook there for instance).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macaluso posted:

Why... why does this matter? :confused: Who cares?

This is like when I see people get mad at Game Grumps when Arin is bad at a game, but blames the game instead of himself. Is the game a personal family member? Or like are you personal friends with all the thousands of people watching?

Also her complaints are perfectly valid

What do you mean, 'who cares'? Obviously I care or I wouldn't have posted about it. What I'm saying is, there's a difference between "I don't like the game" and "the game is bad" and to correlate the two in front of lots of people who are looking to you for an impression on the game is bad. It matters because people who see her say the game is bad will also think the game is bad and then not look into it themselves to form their own opinion- the reason I care about that is because I like Firewatch and want people to look at Firewatch even if they find out they also don't like it after they look at it.

Megaspel posted:

You seem pretty pissed off at this woman who said she doesn't like a game you like.

If this is what you call "pissed off" then someone who's not pissed off must look like the zen buddha to you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 16, 2016

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
So it's only ok to criticize things you don't personally like?

Also, should I apologize for not liking a narrative experience about broken people that goes from somewhat charming to misleading and ends up bland?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ledenko posted:

So it's only ok to criticize things you don't personally like?

Also, should I apologize for not liking a narrative experience about broken people that goes from somewhat charming to misleading and ends up bland?

I'm interested in hearing how you gleaned that from what I said.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CJacobs posted:

What do you mean, 'who cares'? Obviously I care or I wouldn't have posted about it. What I'm saying is, there's a difference between "I don't like the game" and "the game is bad" and to correlate the two in front of lots of people who are looking to you for an impression on the game is bad.

She is literally saying the same thing. It sounds like you just want her to say "in my opinion this game is bad" instead of saying "this game is bad" even though she's obviously giving her opinion. This is another weird criticism I see against youtubers that I don't understand.

quote:

It matters because people who see her say the game is bad will also think the game is bad and then not look into it themselves to form their own opinion- the reason I care about that is because I like Firewatch and want people to look at Firewatch even if they find out they also don't like it after they look at it.

And again, who cares? The people that will go "well she thinks it's bad, so I think it's also bad so I won't play it" wouldn't have given it a fair shot in the first place. Unless you're friends with a person who watches her in which case I'm sure you can convince your friend to play it :)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I was told once to always magically put "In my opinion" in front of most things like this. It's made the internet a lot more bearable.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CJacobs posted:

What do you mean, 'who cares'? Obviously I care or I wouldn't have posted about it. What I'm saying is, there's a difference between "I don't like the game" and "the game is bad"

Not to the person speaking.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
imo Henry is a cool guy I'd share a drink with, probably Delilah too

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

The Grimace posted:

imo Henry is a cool guy I'd share a drink with, probably Delilah too

Delilah doesn't seem like the type to share a drink. :rimshot:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The one loose end I haven't been able to figure out is early on Delilah has a conversation on a phone with the radio keyed that you can listen to, and she says some stuff that seems suspicious (I forget the exact lines, but stuff like "he doesn't know", and that she is keeping an eye out), which could just be completely random stuff the writer threw in to make you start thinking conspiracy theory or, down that same path, it could have even been Ned playing with you as part of his plan to pit you two against each other. Either way I never saw anything to explain that or an option to ask Delilah about it at some point.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I think it was just a red herring to sow the seeds of Henry's paranoia, you can either play into it or decide not to. It could have been anything. "Does he know where the teenage girls went?" "He doesn't know."

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Just finished the game, and I absolutely loved it. Although I've definitely got some unresolved feelings.

Dave & Ron thought - am I alone in interpreting Dave as gay? It could also be that I've been in friendships like that...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Seluin posted:

Just finished the game, and I absolutely loved it. Although I've definitely got some unresolved feelings.

Dave & Ron thought - am I alone in interpreting Dave as gay? It could also be that I've been in friendships like that...

Did you find all 6 notes? In the last note, there is some stuff... including Chris Remo singing Ol' Shoshone.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Just finished playing it this evening, but I already need to go back and play it again. Never found the turtle, and then there's this!

https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/699458403861557248

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Phone posted:

Did you find all 6 notes? In the last note, there is some stuff... including Chris Remo singing Ol' Shoshone.

Well. Looks like it's time to replay the game!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

Just finished playing it this evening, but I already need to go back and play it again. Never found the turtle, and then there's this!

https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/699458403861557248

Is the turtle random? I never found it, and I've seen other people say the same. But I've seen videos of people finding it and that poo poo is right out there in the open

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found it right out by the box where you find the cut power line. No idea if it's random. You can keep him in a cardboard box in the tower. I was mildly distressed when I found that if you pick him up and put him back down into the box, Henry basically spikes him like a football. Thought I killed it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Never found the turtle.

I did find the raccoon having a time on the stump and reported it.. Apparently it can get stuck in the dilapidated burnt out cabin? In the stove? Never saw that.

NESguerilla posted:

I found it right out by the box where you find the cut power line. No idea if it's random. You can keep him in a cardboard box in the tower. I was mildly distressed when I found that if you pick him up and put him back down into the box, Henry basically spikes him like a football. Thought I killed it.

Pretty sure it is random. I've heard people finding it by exploring the path in again later.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

nessin posted:

The one loose end I haven't been able to figure out is early on Delilah has a conversation on a phone with the radio keyed that you can listen to, and she says some stuff that seems suspicious (I forget the exact lines, but stuff like "he doesn't know", and that she is keeping an eye out), which could just be completely random stuff the writer threw in to make you start thinking conspiracy theory or, down that same path, it could have even been Ned playing with you as part of his plan to pit you two against each other. Either way I never saw anything to explain that or an option to ask Delilah about it at some point.

You can ask her about it, and she gets annoyed at your paranoia and tells you it was work-related.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I really like Firewatch.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was told once to always magically put "In my opinion" in front of most things like this. It's made the internet a lot more bearable.

They made us stop doing this in highschool. Whenever we were writing something we were always supposed to state our opinion as if it was fact. The "in my opinion" part was implied, of course it's your opinion, it's your paper.

I think some people may not understand that we've been taught to write and express ourselves like that. We expect people to treat those sorts of statements as our personal opinion, not objective fact.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Played this in an evening and I really really enjoyed it.

It was like watching a good drama. If you're into that sort of thing you'll dig this game.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Firewatch was great y'all.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even as someone who very much enjoyed Firewatch I have a hard time saying $20 is a great price. $10 is probably the best price.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The game obviously ought to have cost $600. There can be no debate on this topic. There is one objectively correct price and that correct price is $600. It's not even clear to me why people would suggest any other price as being appropriate because it is just so obvious that literally all the reasons for the game to cost anything are reasons for the game to cost $600 and only $600. To arrive at any other price is to betray evidence of a corrupted mind.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cidrick posted:

Firewatch was great y'all.

I enjoyed Monument Valley a lot and thought it was more than worth the money, but I wasn't that happy with Firewatch hey yo what's up

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I enjoyed Monument Valley a lot and thought it was more than worth the money, but I wasn't that happy with Firewatch hey yo what's up
extremely same. Monument Valley was a cool enigmatic puzzle game that was great from end to end. Firewatch not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Even as someone who very much enjoyed Firewatch I have a hard time saying $20 is a great price. $10 is probably the best price.

Pricing expectations in gaming are a bit screwed up. $20 is the price of a digital or Blu-Ray film, and this lasts longer than most movies.

• Locked thread