Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a guy who makes good money in the IT field I can also afford to buy lots of cards. That doesn't help expand legacy unless I'm blowing pay checks buying other people decks, which I'm not doing.

I also don't buy the draft argument. This will sell regardless of drafting. It's a limited print run as well which just makes it go faster. Making these things (which will sell out like crazy anyway) crappier because "draft" actually is offensive to me.
Making these things crappy to draft is offensive to me though. Again the masters sets have always done well online, where they aren't limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sarmhan posted:

Making these things crappy to draft is offensive to me though. Again the masters sets have always done well online, where they aren't limited.

Then make one for online and one for paper. It's not like they have to invest a bunch of money in releasing sets online. "hey jam these cards into a set at rarity x, charge 7 bucks. WHEEEEE."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a guy who makes good money in the IT field I can also afford to buy lots of cards. That doesn't help expand legacy unless I'm blowing pay checks buying other people decks, which I'm not doing.

I also don't buy the draft argument. This will sell regardless of drafting. It's a limited print run as well which just makes it go faster. Making these things (which will sell out like crazy anyway) crappier because "draft" actually is offensive to me.

So you basically think wizards is doodie head meany butts because I guarantee you all those arguments you're dismissing out of hand came up when they were deciding the rarity for force

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Then make one for online and one for paper. It's not like they have to invest a bunch of money in releasing sets online. "hey jam these cards into a set at rarity x, charge 7 bucks. WHEEEEE."

That sounds like a really terrible idea actually

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This will sell regardless of drafting. It's a limited print run as well which just makes it go faster. Making these things (which will sell out like crazy anyway) crappier because "draft" actually is offensive to me.

Finally something we agree on. So many stupid things they've done lately have been "because limited." I'm looking at you Timely Re-Linvala and Comet Storm.

Sickening posted:

I might be totally wrong about this but I have a feeling that FOW would be considered a pretty bad pick outside of the value of the card in draft. Maybe a late pick sideboard card? I just can't think of that many situations where a 2 for 1ing yourself has ever been a great thing in limited.

Counterpoint: You tap out for like, a Spiritmonger or whatever giant unbeatable creature will be in the set (preferably one that's not going to need your deck to be 3 colors.) Your opponent tries to counter it or EoT Murder it or whatever, but you have the Force and they lose because Spiritmonger is not a card that can actually be beaten in a game of Magic: the Gathering. Or maybe you're playing UW fliers and your opponent taps out to Wrath you. There's a lot of situations where 2-for-1ing yourself for a free counter is very good in limited.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Sigma-X posted:

No, it's poo poo and not playable. Candle isn't a necessary function for the deck, it speeds it up by a turn or two which isn't typically critical. Not being able to use it the turn you cast it negates most of the function because it's a removal magnet. You don't run many creatures in the deck anyways, so you're typically getting a primetime for 2 lands and then losing it to StP, Ulamog is vindicate + gain life off their StP, etc.

In the monogreen version you have redundant ramp in the GSZs and into the norths, plus the ability to drop a forest to make it to turn 2 with a mana available, and you have pithing needles for wasteland, so you aren't typically being put back a turn. The blue version forgoes a lot of this redundancy and inevitability and resistance to wasteland in favor of trying to awkwardly jam force of will into the deck. I've played both versions and while it is a lot of fun to SnT primetime into a billion mana, the monogreen version seems to play much more reliably at the disadvantage of having a sideboard almost completely devoted to hating out combo.

I already posted the monogreen list which is the list anyone who doesn't already own candles should be running. u/g is not necessarily better and it's waaay more expensive, and trying to make a budget version of that instead of running the already-budget green version is a waste of effort.

Sigma-X has all of this covered pretty well. UG needs at least one, but you don't absolutely need more, especially if you're running Trinket Mage. I personally play UG with no Forces (or Force in the side sometimes) for Show and Tell and the more flexible sideboard, but I do enjoy mono-G and I'm also slowly building towards BoozeCube's hilarious Mono-G (well, more colorless splashing green) version that needs 3-4 Candelabras :v:

The most fun part of Candelabra is when opponents see a $400 card and scramble to counter it, never entertaining the possibility that it's the least-useful card in your hand.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

I might be totally wrong about this but I have a feeling that FOW would be considered a pretty bad pick outside of the value of the card in draft. Maybe a late pick sideboard card? I just can't think of that many situations where a 2 for 1ing yourself has ever been a great thing in limited.

"reasons external to the draft"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Finally something we agree on. So many stupid things they've done lately have been "because limited." I'm looking at you Timely Re-Linvala and Comet Storm.

Don't get me started on loving comet storm.

gently caress yeah I pulled a mythic! Is it a goyf or something even kind of useful? NO ITS A loving COMET STORM!

gently caress you Wizards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don't get me started on loving comet storm.

gently caress yeah I pulled a mythic! Is it a goyf or something even kind of useful? NO ITS A loving COMET STORM!

gently caress you Wizards.

The first box of MMA I bought and drafted had Jugan and Sarkhan as its only mythics. You can't beat that. It's literally impossible.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

The first box of MMA I bought and drafted had Jugan and Sarkhan as its only mythics. You can't beat that. It's literally impossible.

I can't beat that, the first box I bought had a V-Clique.

The last box I got was a wedding present from my buddy. It had my 4 th Goyf in it completing my set. So he finally got his 9th back that I was borrowing.

Anyone want to buy a wasteland right now? I have extra!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was more frustrated with people saying it's cool and good for FoW to be mythic because reasons. it's not cool and good. It's completely foreseeable but it's not good.

It's cool and good because the alternate is only having FoW as an alliances uncommon or a judge promo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lovely mythic rares in Modern Masters and Eternal Masters is the "Island in the rare slot" of our times.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

Counterpoint: You tap out for like, a Spiritmonger or whatever giant unbeatable creature will be in the set (preferably one that's not going to need your deck to be 3 colors.) Your opponent tries to counter it or EoT Murder it or whatever, but you have the Force and they lose because Spiritmonger is not a card that can actually be beaten in a game of Magic: the Gathering. Or maybe you're playing UW fliers and your opponent taps out to Wrath you. There's a lot of situations where 2-for-1ing yourself for a free counter is very good in limited.

I got the point you were trying to make the first time, but in draft it seems like situation is going to be very rare and isn't going to be worth the slot a lot. Thats ignoring the fact that it might not even be online because you don't have a blue card in your hand to exile.

It seems more like magic Christmas land to me.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 16, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

I got the point you were trying to make the first time, but in draft it seems like situation is going to be very rare and isn't going to be worth the slot a lot.

I don't know. Again, we know 2 cards in the set. If it's bomb-heavy it could be a huge problem to have Force at rare. If it's like MMA or VMA which were pretty heavy on synergy and relatively bomb-light, then it'll probably be bad to ok.

Edit: I figured it out guys.

They said no reserve list cards but if they get rid of the reserve list then none of the cards will be on it. Sell your duals now!

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 16, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: I figured it out guys.

They said no reserve list cards but if they get rid of the reserve list then none of the cards will be on it. Sell your duals now!

I will stick my pecker in a toaster if they did that.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Skyl3lazer posted:

If you want to use it in standard it's unlikely the price will drop much. If you're interested in non-standard just wait for rotation this fall.

One more reason to hate Standard :argh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

alansmithee posted:

It's cool and good because the alternate is only having FoW as an alliances uncommon or a judge promo.

Yeah since the theory of relativity prohibits us from reprinting FoW at uncommon without going outside our own future light cone, I guess we have to settle for this

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

For those who care, LSV is currently streaming with PVDDR, should be fun.
http://www.twitch.tv/LSV

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Yeah since the theory of relativity prohibits us from reprinting FoW at uncommon without going outside our own future light cone, I guess we have to settle for this

Hell FoW at rare itself would get Mario QPU misaligned, which is a problem this close to Shadows over Innistrad.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

black potus posted:

i'm glad that force of will and other eternal staples are getting reprinted, it's made this thread so good and funny

same

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamale posted:

Here's a fun thing to speculate about : With Diamond Mana a thing now, they could hypothetically do typed duals that also tap for (<>) to get around the Reserved List's similarity clause.

They could have done that before, they haven't changed anything about colorless mana other than the templating.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
So what kind of box are you guys putting your double-sleeved deck+sideboard in? I had some empty Dragon Shield boxes lying around, but the sideboard won't fit in it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Foreskin Problems posted:

So what kind of box are you guys putting your double-sleeved deck+sideboard in? I had some empty Dragon Shield boxes lying around, but the sideboard won't fit in it.

Ultrapro satin tower

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fits 75+ double sleeved cards with a little room to spare.

http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=2322

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Fits 75+ double sleeved cards with a little room to spare.

http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=2322

Are the magnets still so weak that your deck dumps out into your backpack?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

gwrtheyrn posted:

Ultrapro satin tower

Always this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

You could p much run miracles with basics and a couple shocks. Only expensive part would be FOW mythics. But at least the top and counterbalance are uncommon like they should be.

Tempt me not, foul demon.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you are building a limited print set that is to increase the card pool of old cards, and the purpose of this set is to increase the availability to the players to enter these expensive formats.

Mikujin posted:

If you thought they were printing a set to make legacy more accessible then a big loving :laffo: at you. This is just capitalizing on interest (much like Modern Masters).

Errant you would do well to read this article http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account

and then never assume that WotC has any interest other than making money again.

This set is not about making legacy accessible. This set is about selling $10 premium packs that are $100 winning lotto tickets, same as Modern Masters. For every FoW and Wasteland there are going to be two Comet Storms and Coalition Victories.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Are the magnets still so weak that your deck dumps out into your backpack?

I've had one of my legacy decks in one of these for like 2 years now and that has never happened, it's been a pretty good box. Satin towers are cool but I've seen plenty of people dump their dice all over the floor with those things.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

https://wyrmwoodgaming.com/products/black-poisonwood-deck-box/

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I've had one of my legacy decks in one of these for like 2 years now and that has never happened, it's been a pretty good box. Satin towers are cool but I've seen plenty of people dump their dice all over the floor with those things.

I've got 3 and only one has ever dumped itself because the lid got caught on something while I was pulling the box out. I've got a satin tower for my netrunner decks and I've dumped the tokens in the bottom a lot more often .

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Playing Abzan Planeswalkers with Nissa, Sorin, Gideon and Ob Nix and holy hell is this deck ponderous. I can beat a lot of decks, but it just takes goddamn forever to actually do it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I have been using ultimate guard stuff for a while and I honestly really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIQKFWS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The magnets are just the strongest of all the boxes I have ever tried. Its very hard to even shake the box open with a full 75 in there trying to dump them. I would prefer to use ultra pro stuff considering they can use art/symbols on their stuff. I just can't seem to ever trust their quality.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So have some fun drama today. This twitter account shows up claiming that a small number of vendors got a leak for what's in EMA a while ago, as well as a bunch of other shady poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Vendorleak

Is confirmed real by Xemit (A writer for a big time blog site and a prolific independent trader)

https://twitter.com/XemitSellsMagic/status/699433580032847873

who also confirms he isnt faking the entire thing

https://twitter.com/XemitSellsMagic/status/699436463625265153

Also, someone is trying to sell the list to other vendors

https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/699417870850084864

Though that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Additional claims are that vendors are using GPs to launder drug money, and MTG Price hasn't paid its writers in months

e; Also apparently there is likely a new format coming that's between Legacy and Modern (Modern + non reserved list legacy) based on the fact EMA exists and this http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133615190288/whenif-new-constructed-format

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 16, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'm glad eternal masters is real and they're adding to the supply of staples and now my fourth LED will cost 30 more dollars

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

e; Also apparently there is likely a new format coming that's between Legacy and Modern (Modern + non reserved list legacy) based on the fact EMA exists and this http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133615190288/whenif-new-constructed-format

On the one hand I would rather they just figure out how to make Modern cheaper and more appealing, but at the same time give me "Modern" going back to INV and you got a deal. Hell, go a step back to Masques block for both the "no cards on the RL" vibe and new life for control decks, and I would be willing to give it a shot.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Skyl3lazer posted:

If it happens it's just the "new legacy" that tons of people have been talking about.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

If it happens it's just the "new legacy" that tons of people have been talking about.

You mean "modern but with force of will"

So Legacy anyway.

Edit: Actually I wonder if that would mean Pod would be legal.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Thanks fellas. I'm not sure how I feel about that wooden one, seems kinda flashy and bougie.

• Locked thread