Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn the Pennsylvania owns owns owns. So much moreso than the Ersatz Yorck or Nagato Proto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

Goddamn the Pennsylvania owns owns owns. So much moreso than the Ersatz Yorck or Nagato Proto.

That 4x3 Turret layout

Other nations did you even try to BB

Also only 15 days or so until we start seeing Jintsus floating around and I get to try to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN9nvFYHmk

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The 100k damage event is running again this week :getin:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Night10194 posted:

I like it. Good guns, nice secondaries, decent AA , a nice progression from the also great Nevada. And I have a crew on it that really makes it shine.

However in spite of its strengths I've been doing terrible in the Somers . I think it's because I only get occasional 3v3 games, get dunked early and seldom get to do anything significant.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
What I would love in all the world is to have a 32v32 night battle in this game :black101:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

James Garfield posted:

Cruisers up to tier 3 (tier 4 for the Germans) are pretty bad. You hardly out gun destroyers and you're much easier to see and hit.
Play it like a bad destroyer that can't scout I guess, shoot at destroyers and enemies that are fighting someone else. You can shoot HE at destroyers to do a bit more damage.

The Omaha is indeed very bad, but worth it to get to the Atlanta, which is a hilarious ship to pop the 45% reload speed ability on. Best bet on cruisers is to not scout and to view the game as being all about dunking on destroyers and other cruisers, and occasionally subs (who will be somewhat harder to deal with since you aren't as maneuverable and are twice the size). Some of the Japanese CA's can penetrate BB's decently well though.

Mazz posted:

The 100k damage event is running again this week :getin:

I was so happy to see that it was there again, though it meant spending more time in a BB/CA rather than getting piles of assist damage in a Porter. I had one 19k damage Nevada game (competition) that helped a lot. And a 13k damage Repulse game, but I did like 6k+ damage with secondaries (killing 4 DD's..).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pervis posted:

I was so happy to see that it was there again, though it meant spending more time in a BB/CA rather than getting piles of assist damage in a Porter. I had one 19k damage Nevada game (competition) that helped a lot. And a 13k damage Repulse game, but I did like 6k+ damage with secondaries (killing 4 DD's..).

Look, if DDs are foolish enough to approach for the Royal Navy Slapping, keep taking the kills.

Myself, I never, ever get within 3.3 of a Repulse in a DD, not after what I've done to them in one. :fireman:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Testing this out, like it so far. Applied as "Eat Fish"

I plan to torpedo things.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Groggy nard posted:

That 4x3 Turret layout

Other nations did you even try to BB

Also only 15 days or so until we start seeing Jintsus floating around and I get to try to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN9nvFYHmk

I would pay an inordinately large amount of money to do this in a surcouf

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So after being terribad at Hyper KTKM I decided to get drunk and killsteal from 4chan

I learned that HE>Pensacola and AP>Benson :frogdowns:

Skipping the Colorado is tradition at this point.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Colorado can't be that bad it misses a grid square... right?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
CAs are hit or miss for me. I like them more than BBs in a balanced match (lots of DD/CL/CA targets), but most matches I get at tier 5 are massively BB stacked, so I'm mostly facing predators and not preys. Going through the Aoba right now. The tier4 Furutaka does ~ok and I enjoy it for its role (only for lack of alternatives), but it doesn't even have secondary guns and its torpedo arc is awful. Still working my way towards the Pensacola

I guess the Repulse fills more or less that role. Can fight back against BBs, and devastating secondaries. I'm not a huge fan of the BB role, but I enjoy the Repulse.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Groggy nard posted:

Skipping the Colorado is tradition at this point.

I just did this last night, it's a good tradition.

Llyranor posted:

CAs are hit or miss for me. I like them more than BBs in a balanced match (lots of DD/CL/CA targets), but most matches I get at tier 5 are massively BB stacked, so I'm mostly facing predators and not preys. Going through the Aoba right now. The tier4 Furutaka does ~ok and I enjoy it for its role (only for lack of alternatives), but it doesn't even have secondary guns and its torpedo arc is awful. Still working my way towards the Pensacola

I guess the Repulse fills more or less that role. Can fight back against BBs, and devastating secondaries. I'm not a huge fan of the BB role, but I enjoy the Repulse.

The difference between Pensacola and Repulse is more about personal choice - a smaller, more nimble ship with mains that are amazing at hitting DD's all the way out to full range (very low arc), while the Repulse's less so, and the range on it's secondaries is low enough that you won't use them often unless you are on a map with good terrain for ambushing DD's (or DD's are stupid). I don't mind the Repulse but US CA's are great at helping win the scouting war by killing hostile DD's. Even a couple HE rounds hitting early on tend to tip the scales heavily. Being able to sit back and nail hostile DD's from outside of hostile BB range is what makes US CA's better than CL's at supporting DD's.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The Japanese cruiser line doesn't really hit its stride until the Myoko anyway, with every boat after being good to great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the Myoko is so loving good. It's like an Ise hosed a Repulse.

Alright, game. You've given me Clarkson and Yamamoto, I get it, you want me to try CVs.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Okay, good to know. I'll slowly work my way towards the Myoko and Pensacola.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Pensa is no poo poo one of my favorite boats and I'm keeping mine around forever. You can do wonderful things in it, just watch your bullet count. You will actually run out of ammunition with it, often. You only get 23 full salvos.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

Any tips for an aspiring cruiser player? So far I've found I've had the best success by sticking with my capital ships and trying to frag destroyers while running like hell or smoke bombing if a battleship gets a bead on me. I have the Konigsberg 1915 right now and I've found it too slow to do primary anti sub duty, I find myself a sitting duck too often chasing after them.

I'm just playing normal mm with buddies, nothing competitive.

In general, light cruisers are for killing destroyers but a lot of them aren't actually good at that job because they have poor range and can easily get blasted by battleships.

Heavy cruisers are decent at everything but don't get depth charges. You can hurt battleships ok, you can hound destroyers a little bit, and most have enough armour/maneuverability to dodge some shells.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

In general, light cruisers are for killing destroyers but a lot of them aren't actually good at that job because they have poor range and can easily get blasted by battleships.

Heavy cruisers are decent at everything but don't get depth charges. You can hurt battleships ok, you can hound destroyers a little bit, and most have enough armour/maneuverability to dodge some shells.

Also because the destroyer is both faster and much better at spotting. DD doesn't need to fight a CL and can gently caress it over just by spotting it for his team. Can do pretty good damage to CL with DD guns, too.

The spotting game counters everything, which is why DDs are my team - carrying favorite.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We need at least one more goon for fleet battles!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Figured I'd let you guys know instead of just disappearing; I'm burning out of botes pretty hard right now, probably gonna be playing a lot less at least until like the beginning of March. Hopefully tier 7 and 8 will have a bit more people by then.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 17, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I'll be back from vacation by then :)

Trying to progress up from tier 6 and 7 respectively but it's slow going due to lack of players.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Did you guys end up with enough people for fleets last night? I was on for a little while, but left after half an hour when we only had four people online.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Weekdays are when Goon fleet dies it seems like. We might be able to get a fleet going on Saturdays and people for groups on Fridays.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Danann posted:

Weekdays are when Goon fleet dies it seems like. We might be able to get a fleet going on Saturdays and people for groups on Fridays.

Last Saturday was one of the few times I am available on Saturdays, and we didn't have enough people either :negative:

Its too bad because honestly playing in Goon fleet battles is the highlight of the week for me and the most fun I have playing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panfilo posted:

Last Saturday was one of the few times I am available on Saturdays, and we didn't have enough people either :negative:

Its too bad because honestly playing in Goon fleet battles is the highlight of the week for me and the most fun I have playing.

We still beat an enemy fleet that started the battle 7-10 without breaking a sweat. That was awesome.

Goddamnit, Steel Ocean. This new Plonshoot Merit event sucks compared to Brotherhood.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I think carrier fighters shooting down planes count towards the event? I've seen screenshots of carriers with anti-air net and I doubt it's because they used the manual aa to get that. If it does count towards it then being guaranteed carrier games means you will always have quite a few planes to shoot down.

Here's hoping you enjoy bogues and hoshos. :cheeky:

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Pensacola acquired!! YEAH!

How do you guys find the two different artillery upgrades? One seems to be better dmg/pen, while the other gets great range. Is one considered vastly better than the other?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They're both really good. The range and speed one is better at dunking light ships but has a critical problem of running out of ammunition, while the power guns take longer to aim in and require you to get closer but can chip in against heavies better.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I'll be back from vacation by then :)

Trying to progress up from tier 6 and 7 respectively but it's slow going due to lack of players.

Where are the players at then? Because they aren't in tier 3 either. I've gotten 3v3 matches a few times. And 5v5 seems to be the norm. I've random times of getting 11v11 which are pretty fun when they happen, but otherwise the match sizes are super small which means each person needs to perform at peak since each death costs so much more.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm finding decent matches at roughly 6:00 PM PST.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Where are the players at then? Because they aren't in tier 3 either. I've gotten 3v3 matches a few times. And 5v5 seems to be the norm. I've random times of getting 11v11 which are pretty fun when they happen, but otherwise the match sizes are super small which means each person needs to perform at peak since each death costs so much more.

Wednesday is the absolute worst day for the player count because there aren't any events and it's the middle of the week anyways.

The playercount actually peaks at around 11:00 PST, because there's a bunch of Europeans that come online around then. 18:00 PST is ok, but at night the count drops quite a bit.

I usually find enough people playing tier 3 though. 6v6 is common and not really a big deal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The new event isn't that hard if you just take an Independence and send the heroic Wildcats out to play.

Or dunk a bunch of enemy bombers coming in to try to midway you.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Matchmaking in the middle of a weekday night is amazing

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Goast posted:

Matchmaking in the middle of a weekday night is amazing

6th Reich? Why 6? Is 5 doomed due to a bad clone of Hitler and they get it right in the next one?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ratzap posted:

6th Reich? Why 6? Is 5 doomed due to a bad clone of Hitler and they get it right in the next one?

Moon Nazis.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Night10194 posted:

Moon Nazis.

No, that's the 5th. The 6th time they're on mars.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I take back everything I have ever said about CVs being boring.

Independence is so much fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Anyone familiar with a guy named Cessna? He got salty over dying one game and revealed my location to enemies, then bragged about how lame Goons are. rear end in a top hat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
The only pubbie name I remember is USS Japslap -_-

• Locked thread