Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't use Army or Mage's unless someone actually needs them, since they nerf your damage. Don't be the doofus who sings Mage's while the healer is sitting at max MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't use Army or Mage's unless someone actually needs them, since they nerf your damage. Don't be the doofus who sings Mage's while the healer is sitting at max MP.

Yeah, it's also a good idea to iron jaws before using either of them so you get a fresh snapshot before taking the 15% hit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Are there any interesting side quests in Azys Lla that go into the lore and history of the place?

All of the sidequests on Azys Lla, as well as the various plaques in the Fractal Continuum, give the general history of the place: It was the primary research facility for the Allagan Empire, where they perfected things like bioengineering, space travel, and the creation of artificial intelligence. It was also the place where they figured out (thanks to the Ascians) how to bind Primals, which they applied to the Warring Triad and, eventually, to Bahamut during the creation of Dalamud. After the Empire crumbled due to the activation of the Crystal Tower, it was abandoned, with the automated facilities taking over and continuing to produce mutants and robots. It's the Ehcatl Nine's legendary "floating continent" that they originally came from.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Exodus just imploded, hard, I can't even get world or character info

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Exodus just imploded, hard, I can't even get world or character info

Yup, same for me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/282077-Suggestions-Keeping-the-Game-Fun

Bad suggestions ITT.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I didn't think they were all bad. More diverse dungeons, some quests unique to each race, and less grindy relic weapons would all be nice. I can understand the 3rd one being off-putting since it's easy, but I wouldn't mind it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How the hell would you even handle a race-specific questline when you can change your race? If you start as a Lalafel, and then change to an Au Ra, and they add more quests after, which progression do you use?

A lot of their suggestions basically would kill subscriptions, about the only ones that aren't completely awful and wouldn't eat up dev time needlessly (as in, would simply be QoL stuff they could tackle in free moments and wouldn't involve more infrastructure) would be the camera mode that isn't centered on the player and a request for repair button.

edit: really this is a thinly veiled 'I want to play FFXI with prettier graphics' and a few newer ideas.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The same way they handle job-specific questlines when you can change that? Lock it off if you aren't that race. I don't see how "Less grindy relic" would kill subscriptions either.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

I'm so, so, so, SO loving sick of the "Uhh duty finder doesn't let you get to know people on your server it's bad!" complaint. Duty Finder is leaps and bounds ahead of spamming loving LFG channels and if you think otherwise you need to be brutally murdered. Die.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What they want, reading between the lines, is a game where they don't have to get new gear, ever, and everything will murder you unless you're in a party. A game where if you want to take an airship you have to wait for it to show up and simply riding on it could get you murdered. A game where if you didn't bring X class to Y fight, you're poo poo out of luck.

What they want is Final Fantasy XI.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

That really long OF post posted:

Final Fantasy XI was an extremely successful MMO, and not many people seem to realize that.
can we put anyone who has an FFXI account tied to their FFXIV account put in a separate subforum so we don't have to see them post thanks

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Kwyndig posted:

What they want, reading between the lines, is a game where they don't have to get new gear, ever, and everything will murder you unless you're in a party. A game where if you want to take an airship you have to wait for it to show up and simply riding on it could get you murdered. A game where if you didn't bring X class to Y fight, you're poo poo out of luck.

Ironically these pretty much aren't issues for most of the game now so their points are kind of broken. Then again these people are jerking themselves off to CoP-era FFXI which did have all of those problems and everything was a gigantic time sink

ilifinicus posted:

can we put anyone who has an FFXI account tied to their FFXIV account put in a separate subforum so we don't have to see them post thanks

I seriously honestly doubt people that laud FFXI that heavily actually played that drat game

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hivac posted:

Ironically these pretty much aren't issues for most of the game now so their points are kind of broken. Then again these people are jerking themselves off to CoP-era FFXI which did have all of those problems and everything was a gigantic time sink

I seriously honestly doubt people that laud FFXI that heavily actually played that drat game

I played that game for years and bailed when I realized that I hated everything about it. That was around... Treasures I think?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Hivac posted:

the amount of garbage FFXI opinions I have had to deal with because of hunt mobs being named after notorious monsters in FFXI is incredible

they're in this vacuum of thinking that fun involved having your "internet friends" wake you up every 4 hours so you could get another go at that notorious monster that had an item you could use forever if only you put in the time to get it

excalibur hunt teamspeak was the worst until we put a ban on ffxi chatter

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I played that game for years and bailed when I realized that I hated everything about it. That was around... Treasures I think?

ToAU/WotG was kind of where the magic started to fade for a lot of people from what I understand. Currently as-is FFXI is a hell of a lot more playable than it used to be but it's still a really clunky game and the world being super empty nowadays doesn't really help things either

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Hivac posted:

They are largely people who are unhappy with the current game and they are told by the other inmates of the official forums asylum that their salvation is in FFXI and Tanaka is the prophet.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Actually my cousin said it was people like you who actually ruined FFXI because you couldn't stop saying stuff like what you're doing now.

He said SE punished the legit players who were actually using the items and selling them when they needed the extra cash but that's not a problem here people have the cash.
It ripped the fun right out of the game and soon after he noticed tons of his friends leaving and most LS's who used to do a lot of the sky runs and other things just vanish because no more LS bank nobody was making much money and was hard enough to make Gil in that game.

In FFXI you struggled to make ends meat here its different.

I remember my cousin used to say he had fun going up against people trying to claim and getting a sword nobody else had like the kraken club that everyone wanted.
When everything became rare/ex because people could not stop huffing and puffing about RMT SE destroyed that for legit players, most all left and trust me a lot left.

Made no sense they ruined it also, because when they made walk of echoes RMT could do the same thing go into your run and lot your stuff and then sell it at high price so what is your point?

I might of not played very long but my cousin did from twinkling treants to 2013 where he decided to come here.

I'll say this everytime I see someone come up with a idea that just might help out the game, someone like you comes and shoots it down, I have no idea why people would be against having fun I see it all the time. aka allakazam I believe those forums where they rate you down for everything reason why those forums croaked so quick and went to BG or FFXIAH.

I say as long as SE adds them to heavensward area's I see no issue because I haven't seen any bot or RMT there yet and if they do they aren't there long enough to hunt them before they are banned.

Also I do believe him, I remember coming over and most of the people in LS left, he said because there was no other way to make GIL and mining and other stuff was exhausted while crafting took millions of gil to get there and hunting NM"s was a source to level it up and the ones who did have high craft ruined the AH by setting prices so far up nobody could get the new gear so most of them left. So if anything I believe the ones who complained about it ruined the fun for everyone and caused tons to leave the game.

If I remember right FFXI was the worst at making GIL, here in FFXIV I can make money easy, nobody is happy when they struggle in a game to make ends meat who cannot get stuff they want and hunting NM's was not the problem it was the crafters.

Instead of shooting things down why not add to the thread and give a idea to help out or something this is way off topic.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I see you guys found that thread already.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I read through the trailer thread on the OF and god I'm so sick of that vocal minority who glorify FFXI, especially the ones who bang on and on about everything being a 'rehash'.. The gently caress kind of argument is that?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I had fun today

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

FFXI is one of those things where, if you played it back in the day you're probably more likely to remember some funny stories or anecdotes from it than modern MMOs, especially if you played with friends, but in the end it was a really loving terrible video game in pretty much every measure (except maybe art direction, music, and writing, I guess)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The idea of fewer, more valuable items is cool, but it doesn't work in a game with solo content.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Isn't Final Fantasy XI the game where the developers accidently made one of the optional bosses literally impossible to kill and then a bunch of players started actually getting physically ill after trying to beat him for like 20 hours straight?

I don't think I want to play that game.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
No you're wrong.

They intentionally made him that way.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
To be honest, FFXI wasn't even really a MMORPG, but more like a persistent universe which had an RPG built on top of it. Vana'diel is - to this day - probably the most meticulously detailed world that a MMO has ever had, and it's clear how much work went into making it a living, breathing place.

And this was back in the early 2000s.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
FFXI director Tanaka hates fun and you.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Over time I've sort of realized Tanaka was decent at coming up with potentially interesting ideas but absolutely awful at directing in any form

1.0 is pretty much the logical conclusion of that with a bunch of things that could have been interesting but with zero interaction and the worst implementation conceivable

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm having a lot of fun with Ninja. Is it true a Ninja cannot approach a Monk or Dragoon in DPS and currently never will, though? Because that kinda feels bad.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 16, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, if the MNK or DRG is bad, sure, a good NIN will blow past. But it seems that NIN is tuned a little lower because they have the ability to add a vulnerability debuff that increases EVERYONE'S damage from level 45 onwards, ergo, a little less personal damage. I find this to be an acceptable tradeoff for not having to track the five things on stupid short timers that puncholyte needs to track plus positionals + cooldowns + dodging poo poo.

In a raiding or 8-man context, tanks have love for NIN, with threat-juggling skills that let them start off with their DPS rotation instead of threat rotation, and they bring their own slashing debuff. (And all tanks have slashing weapons.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 16, 2016

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Your cousin is loving clueless. Any desirable item you got from an NM in FFXI was camped to loving hell, increasingly so by RMT botters. Staring at a wall for hours waiting for a mob to pop, just to have it pop claimed sure was fun! If making those drops R/EX so they couldn't be sold broke your cousin's LS then they were likely a bunch of botters, because there definitely were other ways of making money. Since FFXIV's netcode is just as messy as FFXI's, introducing NM's would just be asking for trouble.

Edit: I know he was pointing out a post in that thread, but I really can't be arsed to reply to that thread.

Valle fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 16, 2016

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Valle posted:

Your cousin is loving clueless. Any desirable item you got from an NM in FFXI was camped to loving hell, increasingly so by RMT botters. Staring at a wall for hours waiting for a mob to pop, just to have it pop claimed sure was fun! If making those drops R/EX so they couldn't be sold broke your cousin's LS then they were likely a bunch of botters, because there definitely were other ways of making money. Since FFXIV's netcode is just as messy as FFXI's, introducing NM's would just be asking for trouble.
No it's all true, my uncle works for Nintendo and told me so.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

brennon posted:

I'm so, so, so, SO loving sick of the "Uhh duty finder doesn't let you get to know people on your server it's bad!" complaint. Duty Finder is leaps and bounds ahead of spamming loving LFG channels and if you think otherwise you need to be brutally murdered. Die.
I very clearly remember WoW in vanilla and Burning Crusade before the LFG tool/dungeon finder existed. You would sit in the capital city for as long as it took to get a group, frantically spamming the /LFG channel looking for party members. If you were lucky this wouldn't take so long (10-15 minutes) but if the stars didn't align right it often took far, far longer. If you were a DPS class you were one of hundreds looking for a competent healer and tank. If you were levelling and needed to access the one or two dungeons specific to your level range good loving luck. Even at max level there were a whole bunch of different dungeons and several of them might have nothing your class wanted, and back then there was no currency as reward.

Then when you finally got your group you had to get to the dungeon. At least two people had to make the trip to the dungeon entrance to summon the others. If your group was good everyone would start travelling and the first people there summoned the rest but god help you if every other member of your group sits in a city and says 'summon me'. Sometimes merely getting to the instance portal from the summon stone required going through a long corridor filled with other mobs with zero reward.

That poo poo was okay when I was younger because I couldn't envision anything better and I had time. I had time to sit around in a capital city begging for dungeon runs. These days when I want to log on and play I want to play. People who hate LFG tools are looking through rose-tinted glasses. I get why some people might want them to return but their reasons are subjective and they want something that existed at the dawn of MMOs, when everything was fresh and shiny and mysterious, for which exact reason even if you did remove these tools that something wouldn't magically return.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Look at this casual baby who only played after they added summoning stones to dungeon entrances.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Augus posted:

Isn't Final Fantasy XI the game where the developers accidently made one of the optional bosses literally impossible to kill and then a bunch of players started actually getting physically ill after trying to beat him for like 20 hours straight?

I don't think I want to play that game.

The two schools of thought on this:

1) They knew what they were doing, they expected the fight to take 20+ hours, and either massively underestimated the impact that has on the human beings at the computer or just didn't care.

2) The fight wasn't supposed to take 20+ hours because there were mechanics to shorten the fight or skip phases, but these mechanics were obscure and not immediately found and the fight itself lacked a fail state (see: every FFXIV fight that kills you in a very obvious fashion when you don't do something) so players never found them and ended up doing the entire fight for a full day.

The feature common to both is that the FFXI devs were actually really bad at creating big fight content. Like, you take it as a given in FFXIV that fights are designed properly and can be beaten if you apply yourself to them. This was not the case for this fight or the other super big megaboss in FFXI.

Klades posted:

FFXI is one of those things where, if you played it back in the day you're probably more likely to remember some funny stories or anecdotes from it than modern MMOs, especially if you played with friends, but in the end it was a really loving terrible video game in pretty much every measure (except maybe art direction, music, and writing, I guess)

I have said this before (and will continue to say this until the end of time) but what explains 100% of FFXI nostalgia is that people forget, suppress, or diminish all the bad stuff in FFXI until only the good things or the mere idea of good things remains. I mean, CoP and ToAU were something like 10 years ago now? Longer? So of course people stop remembering the bad things in detail, because that's how a human brain works. All they're left with is an imaginary game in their heads which is entirely different from how things used to be (or in fact, how they are right now in FFXI).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I played EQ when it was new so I totally get having these rosy memories of how things were but the realities of early-style MMOs like EQ and FFXI were harsh. Real harsh. Bottom line is they didn't respect the players' time and that's dumb to wish for in this day and age.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's kinda like fast travel. This is an option in just about every game now, and even before MMOs, games like Dragon Quest had the return or zoom spell or a wyvern wing to get you back to town in a hurry. I get wanting to hoof it to your destination from time to time, and I've even done that on certain MSQs, where I'll hop on my bird and ride to town instead of just paying the handful of gil to teleport there, but I sometimes only get to play for a few hours a week, so on days when I just want to burn through things fairly quickly, I'm happy for the chance to be able to teleport wherever I drat well please.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
For a good look at how people react today when a new MMO tries to ape that older generation just look at Wildstar, and I bring that game up specifically because they always talk about FF14 in the Wildstar thread so turnabout it only fair play. :v:

Can't wait for 3.2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FFXI wasn't especially bad or anything for the time, it was just made in an Everquest MMO world and not a WoW one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

I very clearly remember WoW in vanilla and Burning Crusade before the LFG tool/dungeon finder existed

Then when you finally got your group you had to get to the dungeon. At least two people had to make the trip to the dungeon entrance to summon the others. If your group was good everyone would start travelling and the first people there summoned the rest but god help you if every other member of your group sits in a city and says 'summon me'.

not as clearly as you think, since summoning stones only worked that way after burning crusade

before that they were "meeting stones" which would attempt to construct a party and then you would give up because nobody used them and it had basically no algorithims for constructing a viable party

• Locked thread