Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
And people thought the Samsung variant was better originally, which made a ton of returns before and after TSMC was shown faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thanks Smythe

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Larry Parrish posted:

The whole system crashes and reboots every time the cable modem loses connection

Man, if only the internet was designed to survive minor, brief losses of connectivity

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Over the weekend, Apple announced that it’s recalling some USB-C charge cables that were included with its super-slim MacBooks in 2015 because they “may fail due to a design issue.”

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

Over the weekend, Apple announced that it’s recalling some USB-C charge cables that were included with its super-slim MacBooks in 2015 because they “may fail due to a design issue.”

Apple 2016:May Fail Due To A Design Issue

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dodoman posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dodoman posted:

new thread title please

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
slight alteration to the thread title requested: remove the word "may" tia

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Blue Train posted:

If only there was some way to relieve strain placed upon a cable....

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Why are non-hosed USB-C cables so hard to make?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dodoman posted:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i love reading any stories about apple doing something with dr. dre cause of all the comments from apple fans that are disgusted because they're all racist

the awl story from the beats acquisition remains the best thing about it

http://www.theawl.com/2014/05/lets-call-it-apple-privilege

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why are non-hosed USB-C cables so hard to make?

- new process

- complex process

- not that much pressure to do good right now (small user base, few competitors, etc)

- because it's new technology, it's reported on more often

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hot off my desk. show report about a murdered out 2015 mac mini with the ssd etc fresh from the mac store after a mysterious death. no software on this rig cept for qlab, lxconsole, and the show files.

pretty drat epic

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the only good apple products left are the macbokpro retina, macbook air, imac, and mac pro.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

the only good apple products left are

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you forgot the iPhone 5s, iPad Air 2, and Mac mini.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

the only good apple products left are the macbokpro retina, macbook air, imac, and mac pro.

MacBook Air would be perfect if it had a higher resolution. doesn't even have to be retina

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

THC posted:

you forgot the iPhone 5s, iPad Air 2, and Mac mini.

true
true
half-true

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

imac is also half-true. most models still come with 5400rpm hard drives stock

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mac mini + ssd supremacy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

mac mini + ssd supremacy

Smythe posted:

hot off my desk. show report about a murdered out 2015 mac mini with the ssd etc fresh from the mac store after a mysterious death. no software on this rig cept for qlab, lxconsole, and the show files.

pretty drat epic

?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if it's malfunctioning you just take it back to the fruit store and get a new one i guess, beats dealing with level 1 phone support and rmaing poo poo

my 2011 mac mini with an ssd runs great

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

if it's malfunctioning you just take it back to the fruit store and get a new one i guess, beats dealing with level 1 phone support and rmaing poo poo

my 2011 mac mini with an ssd runs great

quote:

fresh from the mac store after a mysterious death.

?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

fresh from the mac store after a mysterious death
antonin scalia lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

antonin scalia lmao

this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

antonin scalia lmao

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Last Chance posted:

why wouldn't the new phone have apple pay?

cost, size, feature exclusivity for higher profit flagships

I like apple pay and use it occasionally but I'm not the target market of people who do multiple small in-person transactions every day

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
it would be a bad decision to not have Apple Pay on all their new phones. making market share as big as possible is likely to drive higher adoption rates by vendors, which in turn translates into more profits and hardware sales for Apple.

it is a cheap feature to implement now and they can sufficiently differentiate their product range in other ways.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Wild EEPROM posted:

the only good apple products left is the apple iie

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Iigs is the best, iie/c compatible with gsos, better then the Mac in its day but Christ jobs wanted the monochrome Mac to win, and here we are today

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ocrassus posted:

it would be a bad decision to not have Apple Pay on all their new phones. making market share as big as possible is likely to drive higher adoption rates by vendors, which in turn translates into more profits and hardware sales for Apple.

it is a cheap feature to implement now and they can sufficiently differentiate their product range in other ways.

tim cook has no idea wwhat hes doing and the hack jonny ives probably convinced him not to put it on there.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
In a different world, Apple II would be the windows of its day
http://youtu.be/jAXfc8tOJvE

Shame it never happened, it was much better then Mac at the time

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

theultimo posted:

In a different world, Apple II would be the windows of its day
http://youtu.be/jAXfc8tOJvE

Shame it never happened, it was much better then Mac at the time

Agreed.

My A2 still fires right up after sitting in a closet for like 20 years

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple issuing more bonds

macrumors comment:

a desperate try to stabilize the shares in a rather money-burning action…. instead of caring about customers needs… or care about the horrible working conditions in China...
They will not prevent the market to sell… they give investors just more time to sell for higher prices. Perhaps the apple management wants to stabilize also their own shares until the day they are allowed to sell them themselves?
The sellers will be very pleased…. china´s poor and slaved working class will not…nor apple´s customers

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Internaut! posted:

cost, size, feature exclusivity for higher profit flagships

I like apple pay and use it occasionally but I'm not the target market of people who do multiple small in-person transactions every day

do you still use cash? or like, sign a piece of paper? america's way behind on NFC payments, i don't use anything else in Canada

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

do you still use cash? or like, sign a piece of paper? america's way behind on NFC payments, i don't use anything else in Canada

the us was really ahead on nfc like 10 years ago, they put it on a bunch of vending machines but there were some early lovely implementations that caused all the banks to stop using it

and now it's coming back a decade later slowly

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

macrumors reported finding "Interac" in the strings of one of the latest iOS betas. if they can lock that down any competition will be boned so hard in canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

sund posted:

macrumors reported finding "Interac" in the strings of one of the latest iOS betas. if they can lock that down any competition will be boned so hard in canada.

China too

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple-pay-china-france-interac/

• Locked thread