Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yeah I've read the rules and it looks more like a WW2 action movie than something like Chain of Command. I could be down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I believe the term people use is World Warhammer II

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Well Bolt Action proved to be more fun than I expected. I liked a lot of the mechanics. The order dice gave a nice degree of friction and The pinning system was good. A couple of things we were unsure about the main ones being pointless mounted mg's on tanks, it seemed to be OK to fire them at infantry but there was no unbuttoning mechanic so you fired them as if someone was out the hatch but then there seemed to be no mechanic to put you at a disadvantage for being unbuttoned.
Wasn't over keen on the assault rules especially how the combats ended up my blob of infantry who are vaguely in range of you vs your blob. After playing Warmachine for the last couple of years it all felt a bit vague.
Mortars seemed poo poo too, no one hit with one all game. I quite liked snipers who seemed very scary to be on the end of.
Will play again.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

Well Bolt Action proved to be more fun than I expected. I liked a lot of the mechanics. The order dice gave a nice degree of friction and The pinning system was good. A couple of things we were unsure about the main ones being pointless mounted mg's on tanks, it seemed to be OK to fire them at infantry but there was no unbuttoning mechanic so you fired them as if someone was out the hatch but then there seemed to be no mechanic to put you at a disadvantage for being unbuttoned.
Wasn't over keen on the assault rules especially how the combats ended up my blob of infantry who are vaguely in range of you vs your blob. After playing Warmachine for the last couple of years it all felt a bit vague.
Mortars seemed poo poo too, no one hit with one all game. I quite liked snipers who seemed very scary to be on the end of.
Will play again.

Sounds great, I like that BA has given a lot of traction for historical games among the Warhammer crowd. Around here, it means that while the LGS has a boring selection of boxes (basically just Shermans, T-34s and some random infantry squads), they also started to stock a lot of Vallejo's WW2 paint ranges.

Spent yesterday scrounging around the cupboards, and found enough of Warlord Games cavalry to make five bases. I can squeeze another base out of them, but I ran out of thick plasticard:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What system are you using for those samurai's?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DiHK posted:

What system are you using for those samurai's?

They are being based for Field of Glory:Renaissance.

Basically, 6-8 years ago, I was in a gaming club that mainly played Warhammer. I wanted to collect a samurai army, so I started building an Empire/Dogs of War army with samurai miniatures. Then 8th edition happened, people started playing Warmachine instead, and since then I've had some 200 painted samurai and almost as many unpainted onces sitting in my attic.

Now, at my current club, there's another player who has a renaissance style Fantasy army (with renaissance orcs and stuff) that he built for Dogs of War. It is heavily based on Landsknecht minis from Foundry and late medieval minis from Perry. We also have other players who are interested in maybe painting up a few late medieval/Renaissance units of their own. So we decided to try a fantasy style Italian Wars, in a world with Orcish Landsknechts, Japanese treasure fleets in the Mediterranean and all kinds of silly stuff. It's basically an excuse to use our old Warhammer armies, since we are history buffs and made our Warhammer armies as semi-historical ones. We also want to expand them with real historical units so that we can play with at least a historical Imperial German/Spanish vs. an Italian or French army in the period as well, and maybe we'll make it into a full blown Fantasy Renaissance campaign later.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 12, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
A buddy of mine got his C-in-C order in and sent me some pics, I'm pretty impressed with the detail on this M60A2 Starship.

6mm tanks best tanks.

Edit: Here's all of his armor order, a platoon each of M60A1s, A2s, A3s and 105mm M1s

We're building our forces based on a late 70s timeframe with a little fudge factor for cool stuff, so he's building what he imagines a hodgepodge under strength mechanized battalion would look like after losing most of its inital force of M60A3s in combat and getting REFORGER reinforcements and old tanks pulled from depots as well as absorbing the survivors of shattered units.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 14, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

A buddy of mine got his C-in-C order in and sent me some pics, I'm pretty impressed with the detail on this M60A2 Starship.

6mm tanks best tanks.

Looking drat crisp!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
first glance looked like 15mm. nice!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those are crazy nice indeed. My H&R order just shipped today, so fingers crossed they'll be proportionally crisp and awesome.

That's some sexy tri-tone.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 15, 2016

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

He just sent me some in-progress pics of his NATO 3-color scheme

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 15, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Told ya CinC were sweet

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
All pewter tanks :captainpop:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Where can I get the original Ambush Alley rules? Their site only has links for Force on force and the zombie and sci-fi version. I can only find the vietnam version on Osprey.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Not a viking posted:

Where can I get the original Ambush Alley rules? Their site only has links for Force on force and the zombie and sci-fi version. I can only find the vietnam version on Osprey.

You want to buy them or :files: them?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I think they are oop, so ebay or similar.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Polikarpov posted:

He just sent me some in-progress pics of his NATO 3-color scheme

Trying so hard to to order a poo poo ton of these....

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
A weekend with a tiny ACW is a good weekend indeed:

For this battle I made a small farm to fight over:

I managed to convince a couple friends who hadn't ever played this sort of thing to take up arms against one another and it ended up being a pretty lopsided affair (that being said, I'm starting to realize I've never really seen a super close game of Black Powder yet so who knows really) that involved a Union attack upon a Confederate defensive position- two regiments of infantry would advance across a field in the upper third of the battlefield, while two regiments each of skirmishers and cavalry would attempt to wind through the woods on the bottom of the map order to hopefully flank the rebels. Union position is on the right:

Game turned after a pretty spectacular third turn by the federal troops- just a boatload of accurate, unsaved shooting and bad luck on 3 break tests to really cripple the Confederate army. From there the rebs basically played on to do as much damage as possible before they collapsed, but at least died entertainingly- the remaining two units of troops and a unit of skirmishers ended up lingering way longer than they had any right to and managed to do a lot of bloody work with the artillery. It was a fun battle despite the massacre turn and my friends definitely had a good time with it. A few more shots:

The next project is painting some buildings to make a town to defend, and I think the one after that is a nice wide stream with a bridge to cross.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That was a fun game. My wife (SA user thornblast) was Sherman, and I was Nathan Bedford Forrest. I tried to remain in-character, which meant doing the worst loving Southern accent ever (it kept drifting to bad-English and bad-Australian), and of course getting shredded by the Union. It was fun as hell--I might've gotten my rear end handed to me, but the Dixie boys took their pound of flesh I tell ya whut

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

:getin:

http://imgur.com/a/rqg3j

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Glad to see that when all those T-72s come pouring out of the Fulda Gap like a horde of angry red cockroaches, someone will be ready for them :911:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Your 6mm painting skills clearly outmatch mine!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Not a viking posted:

I know Force on Force is described as handling insurgency as well as conventional battles, but is it actually Ambush Alley v2? Or does it just have some overlap? I'm also looking for these, but I'm only interested in the insurgency part, so I'm wondering if I should try to find the original Ambush Alley rules or if Force on Force would be fine

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kaza42 posted:

I know Force on Force is described as handling insurgency as well as conventional battles, but is it actually Ambush Alley v2? Or does it just have some overlap? I'm also looking for these, but I'm only interested in the insurgency part, so I'm wondering if I should try to find the original Ambush Alley rules or if Force on Force would be fine
The only real difference between symmetric and asymmetric is how initiative is handled. Insurgents almost never have it and area always reacting, regular forces roll off every turn. Buy FoF.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The only real difference between symmetric and asymmetric is how initiative is handled. Insurgents almost never have it and area always reacting, regular forces roll off every turn. Buy FoF.

I don't remember if FoF has theIrregular AI in it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did FoF's WW2 supplement ever make it into second edition?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

I don't remember if FoF has theIrregular AI in it
It doesn't IIRC, but it's not exactly hard to work it out.

moths posted:

Did FoF's WW2 supplement ever make it into second edition?
There's a download for it on the website somewhere, but it's not "official" and polished. TBH there's no real need to actually bother doing anything other than just running as-is, what with stuff like the Irish in the Congo scenarios from Bush Wars having basically the exact same equipment as WWII British anyways and using the same rules as anyone else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks! I found it on the site, it looks like it'll fit pretty well actually. They also had the AI rules from first edition (under solo / co-op.)

I was thinking the base FoF "trained vs untrained" rules would work well for Allies vs Volkstrum in Berlin or Warsaw uprising - maybe as a one off con event.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, I think that'd be a perfect use of the regular v irregular rules, and with the inclusion of occasional regular "leader" figures to "stiffen resistance" etc in the Volksturm you have all kinds of fun stuff you can do there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Laster Heroics haul. Their T-72 are lacking but still better than Grendel's. However, Grendel has better M1s. Within a month, I'll know which one has better M1113s.

Totally unimpressed by the Centurion, though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Shilka's are cute as gently caress though aren't they?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

The Shilka's are cute as gently caress though aren't they?

As long as you're not looking at their booty.

I have a 1/100 shilka and it's so pretty...

Anyways, ordered more dudes yesterday: 8 BMP-2s, 2 recce BMP-1s, 3 M1s, Soviet Support Weapons and a trial M113 from Grendel.

So I might be building that 50 pts Amerikanski list, too. Unfortunately, the inf mini choice is Heroics or Heroics, since CnC website won't open and Grendel only does tanks.

Neither of them have FISTVs or whatever the spotter M113 in TY is supposed to be.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
:hfive: 1/100 shilka bros

I'm so glad I can take loads of them in TY because it entirely justifies me owning way too many.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

JcDent posted:

Anyways, ordered more dudes yesterday: 8 BMP-2s, 2 recce BMP-1s, 3 M1s, Soviet Support Weapons and a trial M113 from Grendel.

So I might be building that 50 pts Amerikanski list, too. Unfortunately, the inf mini choice is Heroics or Heroics, since CnC website won't open and Grendel only does tanks.

Neither of them have FISTVs or whatever the spotter M113 in TY is supposed to be.

GHQ does some nice infantry miniatures too- it may be worth paying the premium for them.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Crossposting from the miniatures painting thread:

I'm quite pleased with how this downed pilot objective marker for Bolt Action turned out :toot:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cross-posting from the Oath thread!

:siren: OATH COMPLETE!

A group shot with everything, with a terrain cameo from earlier in the season (and a box of eggs that it's too late to crop out.)

I'd like to claim VALENTINE'S DAY BLOOD for the grody clumpy blood effects on those poor cows.

I'd also like to claim I ROLLED A SIX for the objective / jump-off points and markers - I went with transluscent orange so they'd match my Litko counters:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
LEad mountain!

A entire WWI German Corps (1915-1918)! I love Baccus 6mm stuff.

I've got some fun painting ahead of me!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

I've looked at the booty. I ordered a lot from H&R. A lot. It ended up being a kilo of metal when it got here. Some stuff is great, some stuff is not great, one or two bits are terrible, but most of it is decent to good. I'm happy for my money.

The T-72s may be replaced at some stage with their "T-80" T-72M tanks, or some other manufacturer. Maybe. At 50p a tank it's hard to get that worked up over it when the Chieftains are soooo pretty.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, A quick question, and one I'm pretty sure doesn't have a correct answer.

Whats is the proper green for German infantry in WWI?

Because I've been looking at some pictures and I can't decide if I need ot use Vallejo "German Uniform" or "German Field Grey".

This is for the 6mm figures above, so I'm not going to be able to do anything special like layering, so I need one base colour that will work. What do you lot think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

use both, do some of them in one colour and some in the other