Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Count Bleck posted:

You mean "modern but with force of will"

So Legacy anyway.

Edit: Actually I wonder if that would mean Pod would be legal.

It would. And you would eat so many wastelands trying to get to 4 mana it would make your teeth rattle.

Regardless Eldrazi will over run the format. This can only be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Foreskin Problems posted:

So what kind of box are you guys putting your double-sleeved deck+sideboard in? I had some empty Dragon Shield boxes lying around, but the sideboard won't fit in it.

Nothing beats the ultimate guard tower. The satin ultra pro is almost as good but it's more a commander size. I also greatly prefer the ultimate guard material.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It would. And you would eat so many wastelands trying to get to 4 mana it would make your teeth rattle.

Regardless Eldrazi will over run the format. This can only be a good thing.

Yes hello have you met my friend Nick Fit and his Cabal of Therapies

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I heard from a homeless man on cockatrice who heard more of the secret leak list that there's gonna be Port, ZEN Fetches, Top, Aether Vial, and Past in Flames among the rares-or-mythics and that Stoneforge and Snapcaster are mythics.

e: "FoW, SFM, Snap, Jitte, Dark Depths, Batterskull, Kaalia, Show and Tell, Sneak Attack, Grim Tutor, Mana Drain, Karakas, Mana Crypt, LotV, JTMS" as mythics

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A modern legacy fusion format would explain the Stoneforge GP promo, dunno if it'll happen for sure or not but I'm hopeful

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Archenteron posted:

e: "FoW, SFM, Snap, Jitte, Dark Depths, Batterskull, Kaalia, Show and Tell, Sneak Attack, Grim Tutor, Mana Drain, Karakas, Mana Crypt, LotV, JTMS" as mythics

That would never happen because they are all good.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chill la Chill posted:

Brainstorm is a common. So you mean brainstorm will also be a mythic. Because gently caress you.

Don't be ridiculous, Wizards would never print a 1-mana card-filter cantrip at mythi-

Oh.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

lol

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

WELP.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

And there goes me playing Lands ever.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

And there goes me playing Eldrazi ever.

Yep. I'm kinda scared to leave City of Traitors on my puca trade list but it's the only real card on there. :/

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

So how fast you guys think until the duals start getting (more) ridiculous? Just need 1 more tundra and at least one volcanic :suicide:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mef989 posted:

So how fast you guys think until the duals start getting (more) ridiculous? Just need 1 more tundra and at least one volcanic :suicide:

Uh, about 12 hours ago.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Mef989 posted:

The important ones have all already gone up. Check out Volcanic Island, for instance! It's up $40! Tundra's only up $15, though. "Only."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

i'm glad eternal masters is real and they're adding to the supply of staples and now my fourth LED will cost 30 more dollars

whats up 3 LED pal

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What the gently caress

I think I'll just play Pauper, if I can find some people who do it in paper.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

What's the best online place to buy all the cards for some deck I made?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
It's me. I'm the insider D:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If you stop posting tomorrow, should we assume it's because you went into hiding or because one of Wizards' goon judges shot you?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

What the gently caress

Just do what I did and build 5 decks and then nobody will play with you anyway but at least you'll have $10 worth of pauper decks.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I'm still waiting to be able to afford my fourth Candelabra (yes I have a problem) so I hope nothing gets leaked that makes a whole bunch of new players decide High Tide is the deck they want to finally break into the Legacy scene with.

suicidesteve posted:

Just do what I did and build 5 decks and then nobody will play with you anyway but at least you'll have $10 worth of pauper decks.

My friends and I have been putting together paper Pauper decks just to have some more variety between rounds, and also because all we have otherwise are legacy decks that make coworkers/acquaintances sad when they just want to play casual games with the decks they found from when they were teens or whatever. Maybe one of these days we'll actually start playing with them!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lightning Lord posted:

What the gently caress

Legacy decks cost like $3000 to begin with, why does one random card spiking matter at all?

I have to question the sanity of a person buying dual lands at this point instead of just buying a goddamn counterfeit. WOTC isn't giving you a reasonable alternative for people insane enough to want to buy into a format where all of the decks cost as much as a running car.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Good card in a mythic slot: gently caress you wizards why are you making this expensive?
Bad card in a mythic slot: gently caress you wizards why are you filling the set with junk?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angry Grimace posted:

Legacy decks cost like $3000 to begin with, why does one random card spiking matter at all?

I have to question the sanity of a person buying dual lands at this point instead of just buying a goddamn counterfeit. WOTC isn't giving you a reasonable alternative for people insane enough to want to buy into a format where all of the decks cost as much as a running car.

if i catch someone using a counterfeit, i have to dq them and report it to wotc. i dont want to do that. please don't use counterfeit cards in sanctioned events, guys.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Literally The Worst posted:

if i catch someone using a counterfeit, i have to dq them and report it to wotc. i dont want to do that. please don't use counterfeit cards in sanctioned events, guys.

You heard em', make sure you only use the highest quality fakes when playing wizard poker, it's the responsible thing to do.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Literally The Worst posted:

The weird thing here is that you only get DQ'ed etc if you knowingly use a counterfeit, which just encourages people to 'not know' that the playset of $10 goyfs they traded for at a GP is fake. Basically the policy is dumb and bad at stopping fakes. (fwiw I think counterfeits in a deck should be auto dq)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Good card in a mythic slot: gently caress you wizards why are you making this expensive?
Bad card in a mythic slot: gently caress you wizards why are you filling the set with junk?

Almost as if Mythic rarity itself is kind of bullshit, eh?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

The weird thing here is that you only get DQ'ed etc if you knowingly use a counterfeit, which just encourages people to 'not know' that the playset of $10 goyfs they traded for at a GP is fake. Basically the policy is dumb and bad at stopping fakes. (fwiw I think counterfeits in a deck should be auto dq)

I don't get why people keep suggesting to run counterfeits when I've never played an event that didnt have deck checks before moneying except for like weeklies. I've yet to see a counterfeit that actually holds up under scrutiny though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sigma-X posted:

I don't get why people keep suggesting to run counterfeits when I've never played an event that didnt have deck checks before moneying except for like weeklies. I've yet to see a counterfeit that actually holds up under scrutiny though.

I'm not suggesting run counterfeits at all, don't mistake me. If you're caught using fakes and we think you knew about it, you're in a shitload of trouble.

You're right, counterfeits don't hold up to scrutiny, but deck checks aren't generally checking for fake cards. We're not unsleeving decks (generally) and there's certainly fakes that pass muster double sleeved when the person isn't looking for them. I'm just pointing out the dumb policy that exists that makes people try to use fakes at all.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm not suggesting run counterfeits at all, don't mistake me. If you're caught using fakes and we think you knew about it, you're in a shitload of trouble.

You're right, counterfeits don't hold up to scrutiny, but deck checks aren't generally checking for fake cards. We're not unsleeving decks (generally) and there's certainly fakes that pass muster double sleeved when the person isn't looking for them. I'm just pointing out the dumb policy that exists that makes people try to use fakes at all.

This is pretty much what my level 2 friend has said. With the amount of time it takes to do a deck check adding another step to make sure some cards aren't fake just isn't an option. Now if something is super obvious, like a 2/2 Bob, then they will look more closely.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sigma-X posted:

I haven't seen a deck check yet where someone is pulling out the loupes and unsleeving cards. Considering how many fakes are out there just through trades lol at anyone actually getting anything more than a dq.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What's the conspiracy about vendors knowing about ema and the full spoiler already being floated around in private hands? :tinfoil:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hey I heard they're printing a set that's nothing but Eternal Witnesses? I guess that will be okay in limited, but it's going to be hard to make a constructed format out of it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

there's certainly fakes that pass muster double sleeved when the person isn't looking for them.

Have you seen them in person? They photograph great but I've yet to see a single fake that wasn't immediately recognizable as fake. Even new/inexperienced players who've played with my cube (double sleeved) have asked if cards were "messed up" or even fakes.

They are crazy easy to spot in person.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

lol yup

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mythic rarity is extremely bad for the game, I agree.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't think it's controversial to have a frugal mentality towards this kind of thing and to in turn not be especially excited at the concept of ten dollar packs with very in-demand cards at higher rarities. I'd love for Magic to be more accessible and reasonable in terms of monetary cost and I agree with the attitude that them being so timid about rocking the boat can be frustrating. You can't just address this is terms of the limited environment or whatever without also dealing with the elephant in the room that is MSRP, rarities and demand for certain singles for constructed. It's not going to help the health of formats and that insane barrier to entry if they're just going to do stuff like this that's really nothing more than an uncomfortable reminder that Wizard's primary concern, even if it's never overtly stated, is maintaining the equilibrium they've reached with the second hand market in terms of selling sealed product for better or for worse. That's all.

Just gonna quote this so the last few pages have something besides extremely bad opinions

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's almost as if opening a bad mythic feels bad in limited or cracking packs, and having staple cards at mythic feels bad because of the cost association???

The Titan cycle is like the perfect mythic power level.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

e; Also apparently there is likely a new format coming that's between Legacy and Modern (Modern + non reserved list legacy) based on the fact EMA exists and this http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/133615190288/whenif-new-constructed-format

How would that even work? Expecting players to know what cards are on the reserve list sounds like a nightmare of decklist errors. Maybe if the format was Masques and up plus Eternal Masters? The reserve list doesn't restrict reprinting anything in those sets.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL I just got playsets of Mox Diamond and LEDs 2 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

How would that even work? Expecting players to know what cards are on the reserve list sounds like a nightmare of decklist errors. Maybe if the format was Masques and up plus Eternal Masters? The reserve list doesn't restrict reprinting anything in those sets.
This seems a lot more likely than non-reserved-list legacy yea. It's a lot easier to know what's legal.

• Locked thread