Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Raged posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

PGI changed my name. I guess Helios Skeet Skeet Kerensky was too offensive for them.

If you had only added another "Skeet"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Modpud Helios User Kerensky

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
After fiddling around in the dakkawolf, i ripped them out and went lasers again.

Its fun, incredibly fun, but incredibly inefficient too.
I did an average of 600 damage in the minute it took them to focus me down, but i didnt score any kills. Sometimes my guns would simply stop firing without being jammed, i guess due to input overflow or something.
You really cant track or aim with all that poo poo leaving your guns, you can just about shoot the center of the target recticle. Its obscuring assault mechs in their entirity. God forbid they are anywhere but the open, no chance to see what youre doing once you start shooting.
Also the DW is so loving slow you cant really go for sustained dps since your bits will start to fall off quicker than theirs.

Lots of Dakka, lots of Fun, but very little actual impact.
All in all its a build an Ork would do.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Helios Ban Wave Kerensky

This is what I was going to suggest. Since there's agreement, that clearly means this is the funniest option so far.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Someone take Transverstite Kerensky.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
This is my current build. I'm thinking of swapping the small lasers for SRMs (ie to get this). Is this a good trade-off? Four small lasers for two SRM-6s?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I've taken an LRM 5 on my Raven 4x not because it's useful but because it makes Assist XP stupidly easy to get and I don't see why I should give it up when Pubbies are terrible.

I managed to find a Raven bro in a Solo Join yesterday and we went on to get 3 kills each and win the match as the final two remaining. Just waves of big mechs coming at us one at a time as we ran circles around them and cored them from behind.

Been really digging this game, it's taken a bit to get a hang of how to survive for longer than three seconds but I'm getting there.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Reconfigured my Dire into This.
2x2 LPL for basic combat, 5xMPL for things that pop up in front of me.
Runs pretty hot, but is manageable.

Alternate configuration for long range engagement.
2x2 ER-LL for trades, 1xER-LL for hillpeeks or "just a bit more damage in case both pairs are on cooldown" and 4xMPL + 2SRM6 for "oh hai" situations.

One of these days i might get into crows (after jenners and probably timbers), and the first one will be the 6xmed + 1ac20, then i might run dual UAC20, but im not buying the weapon standalone just for the heck of it.

e: Currently though im having fun with Ghurka/Mhurka to get into the Jenner mood.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 16, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Hell I don't even know what that means

Gay Death Carlyle

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Reconfigured my Dire into This.
2x2 LPL for basic combat, 5xMPL for things that pop up in front of me.
Runs pretty hot, but is manageable.

Alternate configuration for long range engagement.
2x2 ER-LL for trades, 1xER-LL for hillpeeks or "just a bit more damage in case both pairs are on cooldown" and 4xMPL + 2SRM6 for "oh hai" situations.

One of these days i might get into crows (after jenners and probably timbers), and the first one will be the 6xmed + 1ac20, then i might run dual UAC20, but im not buying the weapon standalone just for the heck of it.

e: Currently though im having fun with Ghurka/Mhurka to get into the Jenner mood.

How do you feel about deadsiding a mech?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

How do you feel about deadsiding a mech?

Im extremly paranoid of losing that arm early on, and spend the rest of the match as a running heatsink.
Thats why i try to spread out weapons as much as possible, too many eggs in a basket and so.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im extremly paranoid of losing that arm early on, and spend the rest of the match as a running heatsink.
Thats why i try to spread out weapons as much as possible, too many eggs in a basket and so.

Shield with your left, shoot with your right. If you can manage that (and it's an essential tanking skill in this game regardless of which mech you're in), you're effectively doubling your effective HP before you start losing guns.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Shield with your left, shoot with your right. If you can manage that (and it's an essential tanking skill in this game regardless of which mech you're in), you're effectively doubling your effective HP before you start losing guns.

I know how its supposed to work, but somehow i cant get it to actually work. Lack of skill most likely, but im trying to learn.
Just feels like (especially with the DW) its twisting so slow that im still eating everything they throw at me.
But ill try this evening and report back.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Why does it take so long to "connect." I am sick of looking at the connecting spinny thing.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I know how its supposed to work, but somehow i cant get it to actually work. Lack of skill most likely, but im trying to learn.
Just feels like (especially with the DW) its twisting so slow that im still eating everything they throw at me.
But ill try this evening and report back.

You might want to try learning this in the trial atlas. it comes with a standard 350 which gives you some pretty excellent twist speed. Its also THE mech where twisting like a boss matters.

It also has all its lasers in arm mounts, which will teach you to ctrl-freelook aim while twisting, which is a pretty ace trick.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

You might want to try learning this in the trial atlas. it comes with a standard 350 which gives you some pretty excellent twist speed. Its also THE mech where twisting like a boss matters.

It also has all its lasers in arm mounts, which will teach you to ctrl-freelook aim while twisting, which is a pretty ace trick.

I have mastered the S and the D-DC, but i never got the hang of shift-twisting.
I switched to arm-lock = off now, with *shift* to toggle.
I feel its slightly better, but it will take a while until im anywhere near "good" at it.

So far it taught me not to put torso and arm mounts in the same weapon group.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I have mastered the S and the D-DC, but i never got the hang of shift-twisting.
I switched to arm-lock = off now, with *shift* to toggle.
I feel its slightly better, but it will take a while until im anywhere near "good" at it.

So far it taught me not to put torso and arm mounts in the same weapon group.

Use the arm lock toggle if you want arm and torso guns to hit the same place. It's not set up by default in game. You have to go into options and turn arm lock off, and then bind a key to arm lock toggle.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Use the arm lock toggle if you want arm and torso guns to hit the same place. It's not set up by default in game. You have to go into options and turn arm lock off, and then bind a key to arm lock toggle.

I have that now, my shift key toggles lock on/off.
Whats your mouse sensitivity? I cant hit poo poo with the zoom module if i go higher than 50, will this affect my twist speed?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I never use the armlock button. What you want is Free Look. What this lets you do is move your arm aim independantly of where your torso is going.

It is incredibly handy for snapshooting small annoying light things with pulse lasers in your arms.

Combined with twistfu, this lets you do interesting things like swipe the mouse to the right to move the torso, hold FreeLook while the turn is in progress and just aim your arm lasers freely while this is happening.

Basically, it lets you twist left and aim right simultaneously. You get mousecontrol to torso back right as soon as you stop holding it down.

For most mechs with good arm weapons, I tend to split my weapon groups up by left arm and right arm to the respective mouse buttons - big guns or missiles I have on control. The RS for example: two lasers on left click, two lasers on right click.

I can use this to aim just the left or right arm lasers around cover, teammates or other obstacles I can tell will make for a wasted shot - and save me heat vs just firing the other arms lasers against a rock or something.

Worth mentioning: Freelook just shifts mousecontrol over to the arm circle reticle. It doesn't disable inputs in any other way. So if your torso crosshairs happen to fall over something, or something walks in front of it while you're aiming arm weapons, just press the boom button. You can also maneuver and control your speed and facing normally. It takes a bit of getting used to in order to compensate driving your mech right while aiming off left somewhere, but its a useful skill.

The other interesting maneuver this lets you do is just to present a side to an enemy without turning your torso towards them, while shooting. Not even like semi-facing, just 'here, all you can see is my arm and legs because I dont want you to have shots on my ct at all.' You wave lasers in something's face until your team kills them. Then go onto the next enemy and let them look at the other side.

Basically freelook is amazing.

Today I learned that crabs can very nearly shoot directly behind them with it which is all kinds of hilarious for baiting lights and running away from things.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I use arm lock for some mechs- any time I have a bunch of lasers on both arms and torsos, I'm going to want all of those lasers to hit one point.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://mwomercs.com/static/downloads/02-16-2016%20Clan%20Quirk%20Values.pdf

Has anyone had a chance to dig through this? Some of the clans are actually getting some changes other than removing negative quirks.

For example:
Garg B Left Arm:
Additional Armor +13
Additional Structure +13
Missile Velocity +6%
LRM Spread -5%
SRM Spread -5%

Additional Armor +26
Missile Velocity +10%
LRM Spread -10%
SRM Spread -10%

Songy
Sep 24, 2005

Don't run or walk.

Kurzon posted:

This is my current build. I'm thinking of swapping the small lasers for SRMs (ie to get this). Is this a good trade-off? Four small lasers for two SRM-6s?

If you're making a laserboat timby then you may as well use ERMLs instead of ERSLs so your effective range/burn time matches up a little better. This runs hot but I like builds like this for laser peeking. Mind the chassis and omnipods: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=309&l=b44ee78c3084b5929839e84476627b44c8127aa1

If you want to make a brawler with SRMs then pair them up with pulse lasers instead of ERSLs imo

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

ZenVulgarity posted:

http://mwomercs.com/static/downloads/02-16-2016%20Clan%20Quirk%20Values.pdf

Has anyone had a chance to dig through this? Some of the clans are actually getting some changes other than removing negative quirks.

For example:
Garg B Left Arm:
Additional Armor +13
Additional Structure +13
Missile Velocity +6%
LRM Spread -5%
SRM Spread -5%

Additional Armor +26
Missile Velocity +10%
LRM Spread -10%
SRM Spread -10%

Looks like its mostly mechs like the Kitfox, Summoner and Gargoyle, who frankly could do with some buffs.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm super pumped for the rifleman but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out builds.

For the one with PPC quirks, I'm considering making it into a mid-short range nightmare. Two PPC's, one in each of the side torsos, and six medium lasers, three in each arm. Almost full armor, Standard 240 engine, and six extra heat sinks. It'd run hot as all hell, but hey, could be fun. A second option for that one, would be three ppc's in one arm, a small laser in the side torso, and deadweight the left side for twisting.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

I never use the armlock button. What you want is Free Look. What this lets you do is move your arm aim independantly of where your torso is going.

It is incredibly handy for snapshooting small annoying light things with pulse lasers in your arms.

Combined with twistfu, this lets you do interesting things like swipe the mouse to the right to move the torso, hold FreeLook while the turn is in progress and just aim your arm lasers freely while this is happening.

Basically, it lets you twist left and aim right simultaneously. You get mousecontrol to torso back right as soon as you stop holding it down.

For most mechs with good arm weapons, I tend to split my weapon groups up by left arm and right arm to the respective mouse buttons - big guns or missiles I have on control. The RS for example: two lasers on left click, two lasers on right click.

I can use this to aim just the left or right arm lasers around cover, teammates or other obstacles I can tell will make for a wasted shot - and save me heat vs just firing the other arms lasers against a rock or something.

Worth mentioning: Freelook just shifts mousecontrol over to the arm circle reticle. It doesn't disable inputs in any other way. So if your torso crosshairs happen to fall over something, or something walks in front of it while you're aiming arm weapons, just press the boom button. You can also maneuver and control your speed and facing normally. It takes a bit of getting used to in order to compensate driving your mech right while aiming off left somewhere, but its a useful skill.

The other interesting maneuver this lets you do is just to present a side to an enemy without turning your torso towards them, while shooting. Not even like semi-facing, just 'here, all you can see is my arm and legs because I dont want you to have shots on my ct at all.' You wave lasers in something's face until your team kills them. Then go onto the next enemy and let them look at the other side.

Basically freelook is amazing.

Today I learned that crabs can very nearly shoot directly behind them with it which is all kinds of hilarious for baiting lights and running away from things.

Is it possible that some mechs cant swing their arms sideways independantly?
Like the direwolf?
I can swing up and down like a champ, but sideways the arms always move in line with the torso.

Will look into this "freelook" although it reeks heavily of sorcery.

E: Jenners are out and being clan mechs theyre loving expensive. Chances theyll be on sale soon?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 16, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Freelook can't give your mech joints where they don't exist

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
You need lower arm actuators, which is mechspeak for "elbows".

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

When is the patch happening

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is it possible that some mechs cant swing their arms sideways independantly?
Like the direwolf?
I can swing up and down like a champ, but sideways the arms always move in line with the torso.

Will look into this "freelook" although it reeks heavily of sorcery.

E: Jenners are out and being clan mechs theyre loving expensive. Chances theyll be on sale soon?

As mentioned, you need lower arm actuators. Some arm omnipods do not have them, but most do. Look for the checkbox in the mechlab, and enable it to have them equipped. They consume 1 critical slot, but no tonnage.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

When is the patch happening

Right now.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Patch is from 10 to I want to say 1(?) PST or 1-4 EST

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

This makes marauders even more awesome fyi

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Longer than normal patch downtime today. We should be back up soon. We had to do some serious infrastructure updates and modernization to help ensure better service resiliency in the future.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Baudin posted:

This makes marauders even more awesome fyi

I still have no idea why the Bounty Hunter doesn't have lower actuators.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

We're back. Sorry for the added delay today.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

TheParadigm posted:

This seems like it's just something mediums do for some reason. The loyalty wolverine, hunchbacks and griffins all have 190+ degrees of arm reach behind them. Sadly all they have are small amounts of lasers and ballistics. I wanna chump a chasing light with 3 SRM6s to the face. :(

E: Oh wait, the Stormcrow has 185 degrees of reach around with Clan Streaks. So still the best Medium.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 16, 2016

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
:supaburn: WHO IS READY FOR THE FLAMER APOCALYPSE!? :supaburn:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Report if they actually do anything now

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Commoners posted:

:supaburn: WHO IS READY FOR THE FLAMER APOCALYPSE!? :supaburn:

TOO READY!

Adbot