Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.
The Lone Gunmen were always my favorite part of the original run, and I enjoyed their solo show more than most of the X-Files. Was so stoked for this episode. Was not worth this train wreck. Were lizard was one of the best episodes of the whole show I think, this was one of the worst. gently caress a Chris Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

When the episode opened on the praying towards Mecca I was hoping that the episode's MOTW or whatever had literally nothing to do with Islam and it was just some Muslim guy being tormented by like, a haunted car or literally anything.

Instead it was an episode of "literally every non-white person in this episode except for one is wearing a bomb vest because they're muslim terrorists without any goal or motivation other than aimless suicide bombing" and then a five minute long denouement of "hmmm maybe hatred comes from things people hear and see, as if by suggestion?" in the blindest capstone possible to a story that relies entirely on harmful stereotypes.

And then the Baby Scully and Mulder thing also sucked even if it isn't like, actually harmful to people watching the show.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was loving terrible. Sheesh.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Capntastic posted:

When the episode opened on the praying towards Mecca I was hoping that the episode's MOTW or whatever had literally nothing to do with Islam and it was just some Muslim guy being tormented by like, a haunted car or literally anything.

I audibly muttered "gently caress" when the camera just stayed focused on the building, knowing exactly what was going to happen.
Of all the places that plot could have gone...

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Capntastic posted:

Along similar lines, I was thinking, "oh if this is like the X-Files back when it was consistently good, this will be about some monster from Muslim mythology tormenting people, and there might be some undercurrent of prejudice that turns out to be unfounded when the Muslim community ends up helping everyone" a la Red Museum and Kaddish, but nope, we got this horrible episode.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
As soon as the cold open started I audibly said "Uh Oh."

What. The. gently caress. did I just watch? That was the weirdest loving episode of the X-Files I have ever seen.

The shifts in tone were staggering. I don't think Chris Carter should be allowed to attempt that much humor. I actually liked the idea of proto-Mulder and Scully, but what a trainwreck of an episode to introduce them in.

On a more positive note, there were three actors from Continuum in this ep: Kellogg, Alec's mom was the nurse, and of course, Old Alec. ~Vancouver~

Man...you have 6 episodes to work with and that's what you come up with Carter? gently caress. That's kind of aggravating.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man Mulder has a lot of grass to cut. Sheesh.

I was honestly wondering if I was watching the right show with that opening. It was so radically different than anything I think I've seen from this show.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
One the more egregious parts of this episode was having one guy speaking Farsi to someone speaking back Arabic. Like you know there is just one homogeneous entity known as Islam and all Middle Eastern languages are the same.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I can't believe I managed to sit through that whole things and its wall of terrible writing and terrible music.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Golem II posted:

I notice Agent Miller from an episode of How I Met Your Mother were his name was Scooby. :)

Robbie Amell. Firestorm > Mulderlite

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

That was the hottest mess I've seen on television in a long time. I rather liked TNG Scully, especially her interplay with Mulder, and the tripping balls sequence was fun enough, so I wouldn't call it a total loss. But holy poo poo, nothing in there came together as anything even remotely close to a cohesive whole. They may as well have abandoned the main story and edited together the rest as a collection of shorts.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Death By The Blues posted:

One the more egregious parts of this episode was having one guy speaking Farsi to someone speaking back Arabic. Like you know there is just one homogeneous entity known as Islam and all Middle Eastern languages are the same.

What's even more hilarious & pathetic is that they literally just had Kumail Nanjiani on the show and he's got a stand-up bit about this very topic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tripping Mulder is the best Mulder.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
That whole sequence was one of the most baffling yet amazing things I've ever seen. Parts of it made me laugh out loud like the flip, but some of it was just grating too. I get that he's...somehow tripping balls, but the entire thing is a big what the gently caress inside an episode that's heavily disjointed.

Yeah I get it Chris Carter, you wanted to do some current event musing on extremism and the state of the U.S.--and its population--over the past decade and a half, but was this really the time and place? Was there not some subtler way to satiate your burning desire to let us know your opinions?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it hard to understand why Arabic speaking actors still line up to play suicide bombers.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rocksicles posted:

I find it hard to understand why Arabic speaking actors still line up to play suicide bombers.

It's called "paying the rent"

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I was thinking how weird it was that the airport said "Welcome To Texas" instead of a city name and then they had the line about how there's a huge unassimilated terrorist community and I realized - oh, the lawyers have been here. What was the deal with the two agents who came to make Scully and Nulder leave and then whispered in Arabic? I got that there's a ton of terrorists apparently in this town, thanks to the nurse, but were those two supposed to imply the government is massively compromised too?

I was really hoping it was gonna be a more nuanced story about assumptions of guilt, I'm tired of terrorist cell plots with strictly non white antagonists.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Enderzero posted:

I was really hoping it was gonna be a more nuanced story about assumptions of guilt, I'm tired of terrorist cell plots with strictly non white antagonists.

There were actually some white guys in the terrorist cell that they bust at the end.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

computer parts posted:

There were actually some white guys in the terrorist cell that they bust at the end.

Yes and a black guy. You know what I mean - we have a domestic terrorism problem that is mostly ignored on tv. You barely see Arabic actors playing anything but terrorists on tv.

Edit: I only assumed the nurse was trying to prevent the bomber from speaking because of the weird Arabic speaking agents. Being the X-Files I assumed it was a conspiracy and that's why the nurse was so convincingly right wing. Also, medical people are generally pretty neutral with regards to caring for people regardless of what they do outside the hospital. Weird episode.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 16, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Enderzero posted:

Yes and a black guy. You know what I mean - we have a domestic terrorism problem that is mostly ignored on tv. You barely see Arabic actors playing anything but terrorists on tv.

Well, the X-Files is fundamentally flawed in that way because there's a lot of crossover between conspiracy theorists and domestic terrorists.

It's why you never hear any conspiracy theories about Jesus being an alien that was covered up - it disagrees with the demographic.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

computer parts posted:

Well, the X-Files is fundamentally flawed in that way because there's a lot of crossover between conspiracy theorists and domestic terrorists.

It's why you never hear any conspiracy theories about Jesus being an alien that was covered up - it disagrees with the demographic.

Oh definitely, I was commenting about my general weariness of that angle.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Enderzero posted:

What was the deal with the two agents who came to make Scully and Nulder leave and then whispered in Arabic? I got that there's a ton of terrorists apparently in this town, thanks to the nurse, but were those two supposed to imply the government is massively compromised too?

No, as far as I can tell they were just Homeland agents and some DHS agents speak Arabic or Farsi or whatnot due to their jobs. These 2 spoke in it to hide what they were saying from Scully and Miller, but didn't realize Miller could understand it, and so Miller realized they were actually there for revenge and planned to take the guy off life support. I'm pretty sure this was the intention, it's just written/presented really badly. I also think they were probably the ones who gave the nurse the idea of doing it instead, but again, it's not written very well.

Basically, gently caress you Chris Carter. (or maybe the editor(s)).

I highly enjoy your typo of Mulder by the way. Nulder. Nullder.

Edit: vvv Durrr. Nice.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 16, 2016

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Longbaugh01 posted:

No, as far as I can tell they were just Homeland agents and some DHS agents speak Arabic or Farsi or whatnot due to their jobs. These 2 spoke in it to hide what they were saying from Scully and Miller, but didn't realize Miller could understand it, and so Miller realized they were actually there for revenge and planned to take the guy off life support. I'm pretty sure this was the intention, it's just written/presented really badly. I also think they were probably the ones who gave the nurse the idea of doing it instead, but again, it's not written very well.

Basically, gently caress you Chris Carter. (or maybe the editor(s)).

I highly enjoy your typo of Mulder by the way. Nulder. Nullder.

Not a typo :) He's Nu-Mulder. Nulder. (TM R copyrighted content)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I was a little worried that Alan Sepinwall (whose views usually match up with mine) would think differently about this episode, but nope, he pretty much hit the nail on the head:

""Babylon," meanwhile, felt like Chris Carter trying to cram three or four different episodes into one before time ran out on the revival, which resulted into an awkward mash-up of comedy episode, backdoor pilot for X-Files: The Next Generation starring Lauren Ambrose and Robbie Amell, and a serious to the point of self-importance story where Mulder and Scully try to solve the problem of violence linked to radical fundamentalist religion. It's like Carter said to himself, "This may be one of the last episodes I ever write with these characters, so I need to use them to make a statement! But I'll throw in some jokes so people don't complain I'm being preachy."

drat straight.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
This wasn't Kathy Griffin bad, or even Space bad. I'd almost go as far as to say it wasn't as bad as My Struggle 1, but the pacing was all hosed up as many others have said. It had some enjoyable moments but for all the noise, The Lone Gunman cameo was totally wasted.

Surely after Doggett and Reyes they aren't seriously considering X-Files:TNG?

Also, is there any indication the season finale will be a double episode?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I actually really liked mini-Mulder/Scully, and Mulder's trip was funny. Lauren Ambrose is great.

But... maaaaybe don't put a country line dance number and a whimsical mushroom trip in with your heavy Muslim terrorist Texan racism plotline and then end with a twee philosophy conversation about the duality of man with an upbeat soundtrack?

There have been times to get out their sillies. This isn't one of them. I have no idea what they were going for.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

I was a little worried that Alan Sepinwall (whose views usually match up with mine) would think differently about this episode, but nope, he pretty much hit the nail on the head:

""Babylon," meanwhile, felt like Chris Carter trying to cram three or four different episodes into one before time ran out on the revival, which resulted into an awkward mash-up of comedy episode, backdoor pilot for X-Files: The Next Generation starring Lauren Ambrose and Robbie Amell, and a serious to the point of self-importance story where Mulder and Scully try to solve the problem of violence linked to radical fundamentalist religion. It's like Carter said to himself, "This may be one of the last episodes I ever write with these characters, so I need to use them to make a statement! But I'll throw in some jokes so people don't complain I'm being preachy."

drat straight.

Came to post just this, that episode was four concepts in a blender and it turned out about as well as tossing four of your random favorite foods into one. And solving terrorism with :shroom: just seemed incredibly distasteful as presented.

Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose were fine though, I am genuinely surprised at how much I wouldn't mind a spinoff with them.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 16, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

xov posted:

I audibly muttered "gently caress" when the camera just stayed focused on the building, knowing exactly what was going to happen.
Of all the places that plot could have gone...

Yeah. When they met and then prayed in the car, I thought it was going to be a fake-out. Like they were praying to god about speaking correctly in an ominous fashion and then it cuts to them inside at a singles' event but nope. As soon as it stayed focused on the building with people doing normal poo poo outside I knew what was going to happen. I was expecting a MOTW like other people said. Kind of a wasted episode, really. I only saw a little bit about the Lone Gunman appearance before watching too so I expected that the screen shot of them in cowboy hats was their (goofy, unnecessary, typical of them) cover and they would help Mulder with something.

Edit: And really with the sort of point Carter was trying to make with the racist nurse, them going to some singles' thing would have been better. Oh you mean that American Muslim guys also want to meet women and get laid? YA DON'T SAY.

Edit2: Also I find it really surprising that Mulder had never tripped before. Wasn't he supposed to be into any sort of weird paranormal thing when he was younger? He never took hallucinogens as a means to communicate with aliens or ghosts or spirits or whatever the gently caress?

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 16, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

Edit2: Also I find it really surprising that Mulder had never tripped before. Wasn't he supposed to be into any sort of weird paranormal thing when he was younger? He never took hallucinogens as a means to communicate with aliens or ghosts or spirits or whatever the gently caress?

I can't believe they didn't reference his near-death Indian spirit quest stuff from season 3.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm going to pretend this episode was a sequel to Field Trip and they're still stuck in the giant mushroom.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

I can't believe they didn't reference his near-death Indian spirit quest stuff from season 3.

That was played completely straight though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

That was played completely straight though.

Yeah but still, the mere fact that it happened was something Mulder could testify to on his own behalf as to why he thinks this otherwise especially inane idea of communing with semi-dead people through the power of literal magical thinking would work. And it's not like the rest of the episode was concerned with wild tonal shifts or anything.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

Yeah but still, the mere fact that it happened was something Mulder could testify to on his own behalf as to why he thinks this otherwise especially inane idea of communing with semi-dead people through the power of literal magical thinking would work. And it's not like the rest of the episode was concerned with wild tonal shifts or anything.

I think all these episodes are operating on the assumption that no one remembers original episodes.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

I think all these episodes are operating on the assumption that no one remembers original episodes.

Except for all the references, of course. For some reason I had the hankering to watch the "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" episode and it had audio from the first episode ("No one down here but the FBI's most unwanted...") and at one point it shows him reading Scully's dissertation on Einstein's twin paradox.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I get the feeling I should have taken some mushrooms before I watched that episode. As with everyone else, it felt like three or four really good ideas smushed together with an attempt at a combined scully/mulder voiceover at the end.

I don't remember the original run being this uneven, but it's been a long time. Maybe if it'd been a longer series (eight or ten eps) things might have been more even.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe because they're adult enough to recognize Islamic terrorists are actually a real thing in the world?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

McSpanky posted:

If only this episode had ended with Skinner yelling 'NO YOU LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH' to cigarette-smoking-man...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe they're not and that's why one of the dudes only knew how to speak Farsi.

Also just to dogpile on, that was by far the worst episode I've ever seen, and the last couple seasons of the original run had some bad ones. The fact that most reviews seem to be giving it good scores tells me what I need to know about how discerning these blogging "journalists" are.

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
Can we all agree to stop loving using that lovely Lumineers song everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What the gently caress was that?

• Locked thread