Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

photomikey posted:

My toilet has hard water stains in the bottom of the bowl. I suctioned all the water out of the bowl and dumped in straight vinegar about 8 hours ago. I swish it around with the toilet brush every time I walk past. Most of the hard water stuff has come off of the sides (with some scrubbing), but the way bottom still had hard water stuff in it. I'm about to go to bed, and I'll let it soak another 8 hours.

The vinegar that's in the bowl... is it all used up? Is it potent still? Should I flush it down and start with new vinegar?

Get the Lysol Hard water stain toilet cleaner (the black bottle).When I moved into my place, I had some pretty hardcore stains in my toilet that nothing would get rid of for months and they were almost instantly gone after using it. It works amazingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

How common is the first base/second base/etc. metaphor for sex in England where they don't really play baseball? Are there similar expressions referring to soccer or croquet or whatever?

Wait, people in the USA actually seriously use first base/second base/etc like that? I thought it was just used jokingly or ironically or something in real life. I talk a lot to people from the US and I've never seen anyone use those phrases seriously.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Did I imply it was ever used without tongue firmly planted in cheek?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Tongue in cheek... that's first base, yes?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
:stat: :wal:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Tongue in cheek, PG-13 comedies, and grade school playgrounds mostly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We have a Vicks humidifier that I have to clean fairly frequently. However, I can't get most of the buildup off the heating element anymore, neither through physical means nor soaking in apple cider vinegar. Is there some other liquid I should try? Maybe dilute (or not) some CLR?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

photomikey posted:

My toilet has hard water stains in the bottom of the bowl. I suctioned all the water out of the bowl and dumped in straight vinegar about 8 hours ago. I swish it around with the toilet brush every time I walk past. Most of the hard water stuff has come off of the sides (with some scrubbing), but the way bottom still had hard water stuff in it. I'm about to go to bed, and I'll let it soak another 8 hours.

The vinegar that's in the bowl... is it all used up? Is it potent still? Should I flush it down and start with new vinegar?

I have that problem and I found that The Works did the best job. CLR sucked and literally did not scratch the surface. Also, it's cheap, like $3 a bottle.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

You (Brits) also tend to use the word "oval office" in casual conversation, so perhaps decorum and subtlety are not your strong suits.

And do you mean to say there are no euphemisms for a progression of sex acts like the baseball analogy? Or just no sports themed ones?

Oh my, no need to be so aggressive, I wasn't saying Americans were stupid for using baseball metaphors. More to the point, plenty of people in the UK would consider the word 'oval office' a monocle popping thing to hear, it depends wholly on where you are and who you're hanging out with. Hell, for some people it's considered a term of endearment while for others using it would get your face punched in.

Anyhow, we just don't use euphemisms for specific acts since if you're going to shy away from being blunt you'd shy away from saying more than 'were intimate' or 'spent the night together' or 'went all the way.' Of course on the other side of things plenty of people are rather crudely blunt about it, but 'made out' 'fingered' 'sucked off' and 'tongued' are the usual suspects for the earlier 'bases.'

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
First Base: Kiss

Second Base: Bare Boobies

Third Base: Bare Bottom

Home Plate: Bare bottom inertion

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ah so those are just cricket terms, right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No, the cricket terms for (from getting nowhere up through the bases):

nowhere: a maiden
first: a maiden over
second: glancing the stumps
third: hitting the stumps
home: regaining the ashes

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

"Yeah bro, last night I was over at Cindy's house and at first we were just glancing the stumps, but by the end of the evening I had totally regained her ashes."
"Whoa dude, sick!"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tesseraction posted:

No, the cricket terms for (from getting nowhere up through the bases):

nowhere: a maiden
first: a maiden over
second: glancing the stumps
third: hitting the stumps
home: regaining the ashes

Then what do you call a "sticky wicket"?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Orgy.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
w

Mak0rz posted:

gonhorrea.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is there any way to make iTunes for OSX sort album view by album title, rather than album artist?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I remember reading an article somewhere, detailing a man murdering his father; the younger man had suffered abuse for years because his father wanted him to become a pro American football player, and at his trial there was a mob clamouring for his release. Ring any bells?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Is there any way to make iTunes for OSX sort album view by album title, rather than album artist?

Is it significantly different from on Windows?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

CommissarMega posted:

I remember reading an article somewhere, detailing a man murdering his father; the younger man had suffered abuse for years because his father wanted him to become a pro American football player, and at his trial there was a mob clamouring for his release. Ring any bells?

I remember the article really well but also inexplicably can't find it on google.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
If it was only on a few sites, maybe they had to remove it for legal reasons until the trial is over? That's pretty specific for 2 people to remember and not be able to find quickly. What city or reason did it happen in?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Found it: http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/honor-thy-father/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
How do you embed webm's? Didn't these forums get that functionality lately. I tried using the [img] tags but no go.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Im_Special posted:

How do you embed webm's? Didn't these forums get that functionality lately. I tried using the [img] tags but no go.

You just put the link there, no tags (or I guess maybe url if you've disabled autolinking)

Tesseraction posted:

I haven't seen that but I could very well be blind and I certainly have that box in general,
I'll have to check when that laptop charges.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

AlphaKretin posted:

You just put the link there, no tags (or I guess maybe url if you've disabled autolinking)

Weird, does it need to be from a certain host, like from imgur? Also what hosting site do people recommend uploading webm's to?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tesseraction posted:

I'm a dope, that dropdown is there and no different. :downs: Thanks though.

Im_Special posted:

Weird, does it need to be from a certain host, like from imgur? Also what hosting site do people recommend uploading webm's to?

I'm not sure, sorry.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Im_Special posted:

Try it like this:

http://i.imgur.com/lD4mLt6.webm

imgur seems to be the most convenient thing right now, and I believe it automatically makes webms of any video type uploads.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Weird mine just don't work.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait, people in the USA actually seriously use first base/second base/etc like that? I thought it was just used jokingly or ironically or something in real life. I talk a lot to people from the US and I've never seen anyone use those phrases seriously.

I'm from the U.S. I have never heard heard anybody use the base system unironically. The Base system was just a kind of a way to get crap past the radar.

Since phrases like like "I felt her tits", or "She totally sucked my dick," were things I heard in locker rooms.

Once I hit college I really stopped wanting to hear about other peoples sex life. I assumed that any couples I meet had worked out what worked for them, I really don't want to know about any of my friend's sex life.

I once introduced a friend to one of my coworker's. They hit it off It turned out my co-worker really wanted someone to piss on her, that was her thing that turned her on. My friend was freaked out by that.

And then he told me that the reason that things didn't work out with Sara from accounting was because Sara likes to get pissed on.

And I don't quite know how to react to that, I know a coworker's weird rear end fetish.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I propose we use ground rule double as a euphemism for pissing on someone.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

thrakkorzog posted:

And I don't quite know how to react to that, I know a coworker's weird rear end fetish.

I think you found a person you cannot trust though, for free. There are two possibilities at play here.

Imagine how loose someone's mouth is if they talk about what happened in a bedroom (or in this case a bathroom) with a lover.

I think it also says something to you about yourself, that you tend to believe it.

I kind of feel like someone who lets information like this out is either childish and untrustworthy, or equally likely, the kind of liar who uses people's natural tendency to believe things they are told "in confidence" to spread lies about other people to get ahead in some weird way.

(and I hope to god "Sara from Accounting" was a joke phrase, rather than an actual description.)

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

kapalama posted:

I think you found a person you cannot trust though, for free. There are two possibilities at play here.

Imagine how loose someone's mouth is if they talk about what happened in a bedroom (or in this case a bathroom) with a lover.

I think it also says something to you about yourself, that you tend to believe it.

I kind of feel like someone who lets information like this out is either childish and untrustworthy, or equally likely, the kind of liar who uses people's natural tendency to believe things they are told "in confidence" to spread lies about other people to get ahead in some weird way.

(and I hope to god "Sara from Accounting" was a joke phrase, rather than an actual description.)

This is not "Jenny barks when shes banging" this is "This freak wants me to piss on her in the really early stages of dating"

and why would he not believe his friend? over someone he doesn't know from work?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks, man! For some reason, it was bugging me that I didn't remember this case.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Im_Special posted:

Weird mine just don't work.

Have you actually posted one? Last I heard they don't show up properly when you preview your post.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

HMS Boromir posted:

Have you actually posted one? Last I heard they don't show up properly when you preview your post.

In that case I have not, I always just did the "preview reply" to make sure it looks right before hitting submit, they never did, so I just linked to it instead. This is probably my problem.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I know for diesel there's Red Diesel, which is meant for agricultural/industrial use rather than use in road vehicles, and is thus cheaper for lack of tax, is there an equivalent for gasoline powered equipment like lawnmowers and generators? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crankit posted:

I know for diesel there's Red Diesel, which is meant for agricultural/industrial use rather than use in road vehicles, and is thus cheaper for lack of tax, is there an equivalent for gasoline powered equipment like lawnmowers and generators? I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

I can't say for the UK, but in the US if you use gasoline on a farm, you file a report to the government every year and get a full rebate for the gas taxes you paid for it. Sometimes you can even arrange to not pay the tax from the start if you use enough often enough, like on a large farm.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
Trying to hunt down a video I saw a couple years ago. It's about empathy/putting yourself in other people's shoes. I think it's a white guy narrating/in the video. There's a scene where he's in a supermarket? I think he's a pretty famous speaker but I can't dig up the video for the life of me. Any help is appreciated!

It is NOT this one: https://youtu.be/cDDWvj_q-o8 but similar with someone narrating I think

tminz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 17, 2016

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

tminz posted:

Trying to hunt down a video I saw a couple years ago. It's about empathy/putting yourself in other people's shoes. I think it's a white guy narrating/in the video. There's a scene where he's in a supermarket? I think he's a pretty famous speaker but I can't dig up the video for the life of me. Any help is appreciated!

It is NOT this one: https://youtu.be/cDDWvj_q-o8 but similar with someone narrating I think

this maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfw2Qf1VfJo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

stubblyhead posted:

I propose we use ground rule double as a euphemism for pissing on someone.

An interesting baseball oddity is that "ground rule double" is almost always incorrectly used. A fair ball that bounces out of play being a double is the same everywhere. It's not a ground rule. A ground rule is specific to each stadium, like with the ivy at Wrigley Field or the different roof catwalks in Tampa Bay.