Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Nicol Bolas posted:

Oh man. Apple! It's like you switched on a light on my brain. Duh, pickled apple and radish and kumquat. And maybe a little bloop of ricotta on top so it's not just a pile of meat topped with pickle? Or am I basically describing a rillete at this point and I should make some fresh bread to go with?

I would make a soft polenta and finish it with the ricotta. Personally I would skip the picked veg and just do a bright intense sauce to cut through the fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats the best way to add spice/heat to beef jerky? I don't really like adding ground powders into it since i find they just make gritty and I dumped a bottle of franks hot sauce in with it this time without much success. Do I just need a hotter sauce?

Without really measuring other than roughly 50/50 Worcestershire/kikkoman soy i also added teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, franks and chipotle flakes

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jose posted:

Whats the best way to add spice/heat to beef jerky? I don't really like adding ground powders into it since i find they just make gritty and I dumped a bottle of franks hot sauce in with it this time without much success. Do I just need a hotter sauce?

Without really measuring other than roughly 50/50 Worcestershire/kikkoman soy i also added teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, franks and chipotle flakes
If you want to get all modernist on it I guess you could either buy pure capsaicin or isolate some yourself.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

If I'm just pan-frying meat is there a good reason to use a marinade if I'm making a sauce out of the marinade liquid right after? I know that a marinade doesn't actually penetrate in to the meat very deep, and I just use the marinade liquid to make a sauce in the same pan right after I cook the marinated meat so it seems like a bit of a waste to wait instead of just cooking the meat and making a sauce.

I made a kinda teriyaki-ish sauce with pork tenderloin last night. Marinated the pork for 15 minutes with the sauce (soy sauce+honey+a little rum instead of mirin) then patted the pork dry a bit (to stop the oil from splattering around too much) and fried it, and then took the pork out and used the marinade to make a sauce from the fond. I feel like it would have been better if I made just patted the pork dry originally, dredged it in corn starch, then fried it, then made a pan sauce using the marinade ingredients instead of making a marinade.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 13, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubG posted:

If you want to get all modernist on it I guess you could either buy pure capsaicin or isolate some yourself.

You could also try buying a whole dried or fresh hot pepper of your choice, dicing it, adding it seeds and all to a wet marinade, and letting the meat sit in overnight. That'll hot it up pretty darn well.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 14, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How do I prepare chicken to go into something like a pasta dish? This has been bugging me for years.

Also what are some good recipes for Cream of Broccoli Soup? Or any cream soups really.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How do I prepare chicken to go into something like a pasta dish? This has been bugging me for years.

Also what are some good recipes for Cream of Broccoli Soup? Or any cream soups really.

Par-cook on the grill or in the oven, cube, toss into sauce and finish cooking through. That's what I do, at least. Cant help you with the cream soups, but I'd love to hear anyone elses's recipe ideas for them!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

You can either completely prepare the chicken in a sauce and combine it with pasta on a plate,
or you can stirfry chicken, veggies and noodles...in this case the chicken needs to be cut (in thin-ish slices)
google "chicken noodle stir fry" for a gazilion of recipes.

i do not know of cream anything though, sorry.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Saute your aromatics (onion, carrot, celery for the classic French mirepoix) and then add your veggies. Add whatever spices, herbs, and liquids you want and cook until everything is soft. Blend and season. Make it like 10% more seasoned than normal. Remove heat, then stir in cream. Go slowly, stir constantly, and taste after each addition.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chuck in an enormous amount of crumbled Stilton to elevate it from boring to amazing.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Anyone have experience with whrink-wrapping (small) quantities of product for sale? Not candy, but something with a shorter shelf-life? This is small-scale farmers' market type selling. I am hoping that there's an option between a $300 I-bar type and a $10 bag of 100 blow-dryer shrink wraps which take a long while.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Anyone have experience with whrink-wrapping (small) quantities of product for sale? Not candy, but something with a shorter shelf-life? This is small-scale farmers' market type selling. I am hoping that there's an option between a $300 I-bar type and a $10 bag of 100 blow-dryer shrink wraps which take a long while.

Blow dryer shrink wrap is one of the great joys in life. I wish I had more opportunities to play with them. What makes you dislike that option?

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Blow dryer shrink wrap is one of the great joys in life. I wish I had more opportunities to play with them. What makes you dislike that option?

I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not to use that sort of shrink wrap for a (meat-containing) food product. It does great for soap and stuff, I just don't want to be unsafe. I also want to eventually sell this and will be relying more on # packages sold than the individual price of a package (reasonably priced when compared to jerky) if that makes any sense and the shrink-wrap is sorta labor-intensive for what I want to be a 5in x 5in package

I'm looking up state regulations right now to see if I can use something with a zip-top instead of something which makes it more 'airtight'. That would be pretty ideal.

Thanks!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Scored a few pounds of ribeye scraps from work, I think the best thing would be to make a stew? I have been meaning to make a hearty beef stew for awhile and this seems like the best opportunity. Any advice/recipe?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goodness posted:

Scored a few pounds of ribeye scraps from work, I think the best thing would be to make a stew? I have been meaning to make a hearty beef stew for awhile and this seems like the best opportunity. Any advice/recipe?

That looks like a lot of fat, rather than connective tissue which is what you want in stew meat. The connective tissue breaks down into gelatin which gives stew its lip-smacking mouthfeel. The fat on that ribeye meat would just lead to a really greasy stew with overcooked steak. I'd grind that and turn it into burgers, myself.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Midniter posted:

That looks like a lot of fat, rather than connective tissue which is what you want in stew meat. The connective tissue breaks down into gelatin which gives stew its lip-smacking mouthfeel. The fat on that ribeye meat would just lead to a really greasy stew with overcooked steak. I'd grind that and turn it into burgers, myself.

drat, I wish I had a grinder then. Any other options?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

goodness posted:

Hmmm, instead of beef stew I'd do stroganoff, I think it would work better with the tenderness and fat of those scraps.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

drat, I wish I had a grinder then. Any other options?

Do you have a food processor? You could use that to turn it into something akin to ground beef. I believe Alton Brown at one point recommended a food processor for making burger meat.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you have a food processor? You could use that to turn it into something akin to ground beef. I believe Alton Brown at one point recommended a food processor for making burger meat.

I don't but I do have access to a 10" cast iron and slow cooker.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not to use that sort of shrink wrap for a (meat-containing) food product. It does great for soap and stuff, I just don't want to be unsafe. I also want to eventually sell this and will be relying more on # packages sold than the individual price of a package (reasonably priced when compared to jerky) if that makes any sense and the shrink-wrap is sorta labor-intensive for what I want to be a 5in x 5in package

I'm looking up state regulations right now to see if I can use something with a zip-top instead of something which makes it more 'airtight'. That would be pretty ideal.

Thanks!

Aaaah. You might be able to get away with a home vacuum sealer, but the bags for those can be ridiculously expensive and ponderous. I honestly only use my vacuum sealer for mason jars now, because they're re-usable.

On that note, vacuum sealed mason jars are awesome for keeping dry loose stuff fresh.

\/\/Drink seltzer.\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 16, 2016

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm looking to change my soda habit for health reasons. Problem is, I need something to drink beyond just water, and I cannot stand tea. I also cannot stand alternative sweeteners. I've tried a lot of water enhancers, and I can't stick with any of them. Really, it's not that I want to fully quit sugar, I just want to drastically cut it back. I figure may I can do this by making my own soda. I bought a Sodastream a couple weeks back. First I tried their Lemon/Lime, don't like it because it's a 7-Up knockoff, which I have always hated the flavor of.

I found this recipe for an attempt at homemade Mountain Dew, my favorite. I'm not expecting it to get really close to that flavor, but with work, close enough. To start out, I'm only going to do the first half of the recipe, and skip the second half with the peels. I'm also using bottled juices instead of from the fruit. If I find potential, I'll play with that later.

Thing is, 2 cups of sugar for a gallon of soda is still a bit much. After some research today, I think I figured that a gallon of the Dew would be around 2.5 cups, so that isn't enough of a cutback. I want to see if I can make 1 cup of sugar work.

Here's what I am looking for advice on. If I use less sugar, do I use less water as well? I imagine the sugar+water would make a plain syrup. If I use 1 cup each, then it wouldn't become a real syrup, wouldn't it? I'm thinking I would want to keep the same sugar to water ratio, along with the same amount of juices listed here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Drink sparkling water like Perrier or something.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Revol posted:

I'm looking to change my soda habit for health reasons. Problem is, I need something to drink beyond just water, and I cannot stand tea. I also cannot stand alternative sweeteners. I've tried a lot of water enhancers, and I can't stick with any of them. Really, it's not that I want to fully quit sugar, I just want to drastically cut it back. I figure may I can do this by making my own soda. I bought a Sodastream a couple weeks back. First I tried their Lemon/Lime, don't like it because it's a 7-Up knockoff, which I have always hated the flavor of.

I found this recipe for an attempt at homemade Mountain Dew, my favorite. I'm not expecting it to get really close to that flavor, but with work, close enough. To start out, I'm only going to do the first half of the recipe, and skip the second half with the peels. I'm also using bottled juices instead of from the fruit. If I find potential, I'll play with that later.

Thing is, 2 cups of sugar for a gallon of soda is still a bit much. After some research today, I think I figured that a gallon of the Dew would be around 2.5 cups, so that isn't enough of a cutback. I want to see if I can make 1 cup of sugar work.

Here's what I am looking for advice on. If I use less sugar, do I use less water as well? I imagine the sugar+water would make a plain syrup. If I use 1 cup each, then it wouldn't become a real syrup, wouldn't it? I'm thinking I would want to keep the same sugar to water ratio, along with the same amount of juices listed here.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but eventually you learn to like water and artificial sweeteners and your life will be better for it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Tots posted:

I know this isn't the answer you want, but eventually you learn to like water and artificial sweeteners and your life will be better for it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
goodness, I already do drink water, and I like it. I just like to have something beside it during the day.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Make lemonade it's like the easiest poo poo in the world

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

\/\/Drink seltzer.\/\/

There are a million flavored seltzer waters, and they scratch the same itch as soda without being sweet.

If you can't handle no sweetness off the gate, try Dry brand soda. They have like 1/3 the sugar, and they wean you off super sugary drinks.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Aaaah. You might be able to get away with a home vacuum sealer, but the bags for those can be ridiculously expensive and ponderous. I honestly only use my vacuum sealer for mason jars now, because they're re-usable.

On that note, vacuum sealed mason jars are awesome for keeping dry loose stuff fresh.

\/\/Drink seltzer.\/\/

This is solid advice. My only issue is that the sealed mason jars add an easy $1.50 to my overhead per serving, which is pretty significant as my sale units are pretty small. The 'home vaccum' seller you and I are talking about are porbably the same thing. It's just bullshit expensive, but I don't know if blow-drier shrinkwrap is acceptable.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 16, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

There are a million flavored seltzer waters, and they scratch the same itch as soda without being sweet.

If you can't handle no sweetness off the gate, try Dry brand soda. They have like 1/3 the sugar, and they wean you off super sugary drinks.

Soda stream machines can be used to make seltzer water right? They're easy to retrofit with cheaper airsoft co2 canisters too, rather than use the expense specialty ones.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
There is a restaurant in Austin, TX that makes this dish they call Singaporean stir fry. This is how they describe it on their website.

This is what it looks like. Very distinctive red/pink color.

I used to order this every week and love it so. I moved away from Austin and seems this is the only restaurant that makes it. I've tried off and on to recreate it but have never come close.

I beg you fellow goons. Does anyone have any ideas on this recipe?

Kenzo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 16, 2016

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Revol posted:

goodness, I already do drink water, and I like it. I just like to have something beside it during the day.

The answer is delicious tea. I am having my morning cup right now...

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Revol posted:

Mix sparkling water with any kind of fruit juice in a half/half ratio.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

Most drinks (both sodas and pure fruit juices) have about 10-11g of sugar per 100ml, which matches up with your 2 cups per gallon. I think that the Dew recipe is asking for more because it has so much citrus in it, and the extra sugar in it is needed to try and compensate for the sourness. 1cup of sugar will certainly work, it will just leave you with a drink that isn't sweet enough. If you were to drink it for a while, and were to not eat any other sweet things, then you'd adjust and you'd find it sweet enough. Failing that though, you have a couple of options:

1) Use a cup of Agave Syrup instead of a cup of sugar. The syrup is just as unhealthy as sugar is, but it's far sweeter, so you don't need to use as much.
2) Use a cup of sugar, and reinforce it with a zero-calorie sweetener like stevia extract.

Sweeteners aren't a magical healthy replacement for sugar though, a number of studies have shown that they can have a similar impact on your body to sugar and can lead to diabetes and other related issues. At the risk of sounding patronizing, eating a piece of fresh fruit instead of drinking a glass of soda is probably the healthiest alternative on the table.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 16, 2016

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Get a pitcher. Dont put sugar in it. Tear up mint, peel and slice a cucumber, juice some limes, put them in the pitcher and smash them around a bit without any added sugar. Fill the pitcher with water and put it into the fridge. Don't add sugar to it. Boom, yummy water with hardly any sugar at all.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't really drink soda much anymore; I found that I still craved the carbonation sometimes, so to get it I drink flavored seltzer water. It's definitely nowhere near as strong a flavor as soda and you have to get used to that, but it's what helped me stop drinking it. It's no good to cut out the sugar of pre-made soda by replacing it with the sugar of homemade soda.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Rikimaru posted:

There is a restaurant in Austin, TX that makes this dish they call Singaporean stir fry. This is how they describe it on their website.

This is what it looks like. Very distinctive red/pink color.

I used to order this every week and love it so. I moved away from Austin and seems this is the only restaurant that makes it. I've tried off and on to recreate it but have never come close.

I beg you fellow goons. Does anyone have any ideas on this recipe?

Yeah, I've got some ideas but first off what's been coming out 'wrong' in your homemade dishes?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Revol posted:

Fresca. Drink Fresca. it'll become the only soda you will drink and the only option is "diet" (in the US).

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Get a pitcher. Dont put sugar in it. Tear up mint, peel and slice a cucumber, juice some limes, put them in the pitcher and smash them around a bit without any added sugar. Fill the pitcher with water and put it into the fridge. Don't add sugar to it. Boom, yummy water with hardly any sugar at all.

I support this wholeheartedly. Although I use lemons instead of limes. Lemon cucumber water lasts a day or two. Lime cucumber water starts tasting weirdly bitter by then in my experience.

Eta: also second/third/fourthing soda stream. I also purée fruits and put them in ice cube trays and keep them around in the freezer. I stick one or two at the bottom of a glass and then top with soda stream seltzer. It's pretty legit. You can also make your own syrup if you have extra basil or ginger or whatever lying around.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 16, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Don't drink artificial sweeteners. If you have to switch for "health reasons," chances are the artificial sweeteners will have the same negative impact as sugar (as in, will also raise your blood sugar.)

Joining the sparkling water bandwagon as well. There are so many delicious flavors, and after you get off soda, they actually start to taste sweet to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

psychokitty posted:

Don't drink artificial sweeteners. If you have to switch for "health reasons," chances are the artificial sweeteners will have the same negative impact as sugar (as in, will also raise your blood sugar.)

Do you have a source for that? I remember hearing that was debunked.