Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Blah, one more week until patch and I'm not sure I can muster any effort to play this week considering how many other games I haven't played but I've meant to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

not as clearly as you think, since summoning stones only worked that way after burning crusade

before that they were "meeting stones" which would attempt to construct a party and then you would give up because nobody used them and it had basically no algorithims for constructing a viable party

And before that there was nothing. They only added meeting stones in 1.3,, 4 months after release.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Jump should be on a cooldown, it's killing my immersion.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Meiteron posted:

The two schools of thought on this:

1) They knew what they were doing, they expected the fight to take 20+ hours, and either massively underestimated the impact that has on the human beings at the computer or just didn't care.

2) The fight wasn't supposed to take 20+ hours because there were mechanics to shorten the fight or skip phases, but these mechanics were obscure and not immediately found and the fight itself lacked a fail state (see: every FFXIV fight that kills you in a very obvious fashion when you don't do something) so players never found them and ended up doing the entire fight for a full day.

The feature common to both is that the FFXI devs were actually really bad at creating big fight content. Like, you take it as a given in FFXIV that fights are designed properly and can be beaten if you apply yourself to them. This was not the case for this fight or the other super big megaboss in FFXI.

No, you're thinking of Pandemonium Warden. Absolute Virtue was the one that was originally meant to be unkillable.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Someone suggested I play this in another thread and I said I had tried it and hated it. I gave it another shot Friday and it clicked. I bought the game + expansion since it was on sale and blew through the whole weekend leveling. I learned all the jobs, except Conjurer, and all the professions. I have been leveling as an Archer, but don't like it, and the only reason I am level 24 is because I have been trying to get the stupid Chocobo mount so I can work on leveling as another class faster (you can use the mount at any level once you learn it, right?)

The main story quest doesn't reset if you switch classes, does it? I want to level as a melee class, not sure which one, but don't want to miss out on a critical story line which halts my progression later on. I was planning to grind mobs and FATEs until I could do those Guild quests (I forget what they are called, the ones you have to go to an area to initiate), then pick up questing where I left off after getting my mount.

Also, I did the materia (I think that's the name) quest, but it didn't unlock me being able to enchant my gear. Does that happen later? And for banking, do you unlock that before or after the hairstylist?

Thanks

EDIT - The last Final Fantasy game I played was the one with Kefka and Sabin back in 1990 or 92 when I was like 16. It's a trip seeing how this game has changed from then, but still has some familiarities.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If someone doesn't like DF, what prevents them from using PF all the time?

e: I used to play DDO a bit in the past and there was no automagic dungeon finder, but there was a really good party finder (similar, if not identical functionality to FF14's, but a bit more readable).

It worked really good, way way way way better than screaming in some chat.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 16, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Polegrinder posted:

Someone suggested I play this in another thread and I said I had tried it and hated it. I gave it another shot Friday and it clicked. I bought the game + expansion since it was on sale and blew through the whole weekend leveling. I learned all the jobs, except Conjurer, and all the professions. I have been leveling as an Archer, but don't like it, and the only reason I am level 24 is because I have been trying to get the stupid Chocobo mount so I can work on leveling as another class faster (you can use the mount at any level once you learn it, right?)

The main story quest doesn't reset if you switch classes, does it? I want to level as a melee class, not sure which one, but don't want to miss out on a critical story line which halts my progression later on. I was planning to grind mobs and FATEs until I could do those Guild quests (I forget what they are called, the ones you have to go to an area to initiate), then pick up questing where I left off after getting my mount.

Also, I did the materia (I think that's the name) quest, but it didn't unlock me being able to enchant my gear. Does that happen later? And for banking, do you unlock that before or after the hairstylist?

Thanks

EDIT - The last Final Fantasy game I played was the one with Kefka and Sabin back in 1990 or 92 when I was like 16. It's a trip seeing how this game has changed from then, but still has some familiarities.

Your best bet is to pick a class and max it out. The main story quest doesn't reset at all so it's possible to run out of quests while leveling. Job classes are tied to progression in a class but aren't required for story progression. However, any classes lower than your highest get an exp bonus. Best way to level other classes is to do Leveling Duty Finder, Levemetes and FATE parties as far as I can tell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Polegrinder posted:

Thanks

Ok - question #1 - what server are you on?

To answer your questions - mounts can be used by any class once unlocked. Main Story Quests never reset. The only things that are per class are class/job specific quests, class hunting logs, and guildhest bonuses go to each class as well.

For materia, you need equipment with materia slots, the materia you want to meld, and the corresponding DoH class to meld it.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

NIN's theoretical, most optimal rotation does a little bit less damage than a MNK's or DRG's. That small difference in damage is made up for by NIN's slashing debuff boosting tank damage, and trick attack increasing party wide damage output.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The only real glaring DPS difference right now that's of any significance is PLD lags far behind dark and war. The rest of the DPS are pretty balanced with their counterparts with maybe machinist lagging slightly behind bard.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ok - question #1 - what server are you on?

To answer your questions - mounts can be used by any class once unlocked. Main Story Quests never reset. The only things that are per class are class/job specific quests, class hunting logs, and guildhest bonuses go to each class as well.

For materia, you need equipment with materia slots, the materia you want to meld, and the corresponding DoH class to meld it.

I am on the Behemoth server.

I guess level 24-25 won't be too hard to get to, especially if you get an XP bonus, so switching classes at this point shouldn't be too painful. I wanted to play as a Rogue, but the class had to be unlocked first, and by the time I got to Limsa Limonsa I was almost 18. I figured at that level I might as well push to 20, since I thought you got a mount at 20. But now here I am, almost 25 and mountless. I need to save up some new currency in order to buy one. At least I enjoy the questing and have been having fun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only real glaring DPS difference right now that's of any significance is PLD lags far behind dark and war. The rest of the DPS are pretty balanced with their counterparts with maybe machinist lagging slightly behind bard.

How do bards compare to the rest of the DPS in general now (specifically BLM and DRG which are my current 60 dps)? I've had the itch to level mine again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ainsley McTree posted:

How do bards compare to the rest of the DPS in general now (specifically BLM and DRG which are my current 60 dps)? I've had the itch to level mine again.

Still at the bottom (but above MCH) overall but they've got some decent burst with Emp Arrow and of course still wanted in raids because, you know, Foe Requiem and support songs.

edit: Bard will never get above middle tier DPS as long as the devs keep setting their weapon damage below everybody else's at the same ilvl and rarity.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 16, 2016

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Duty finder is now going to tell you the actual number of people in front of you now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/46237t/patch_32_duty_finder_will_have_a_new_queue_order/

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 16, 2016

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Polegrinder posted:

Thanks

I, too, disliked the gameplay when I played this in open beta. I picked this back up on a whim during the humble bundle a month ago for cheap and somehow it just clicked and I really enjoy the game now :iiam:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Polegrinder posted:

I am on the Behemoth server.

I guess level 24-25 won't be too hard to get to, especially if you get an XP bonus, so switching classes at this point shouldn't be too painful. I wanted to play as a Rogue, but the class had to be unlocked first, and by the time I got to Limsa Limonsa I was almost 18. I figured at that level I might as well push to 20, since I thought you got a mount at 20. But now here I am, almost 25 and mountless. I need to save up some new currency in order to buy one. At least I enjoy the questing and have been having fun.

It would really be in your best interests to transfer to excalibur and join a goon guild, just so you know.

To get your mount you have to get to the main story where you join a grand company. If you did, then the mount quest is a sidequest that starts at the grand company you joined. If you haven't joined a grand company yet, you haven't advanced the main story far enough. Stop leveling and just do the main story quests until you do.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

Duty finder is now going to tell you the actual number of people in front of you now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/46237t/patch_32_duty_finder_will_have_a_new_queue_order/

This will be depressing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ainsley McTree posted:

Bards are support DPS in this game and will always be on the bottom tier of overall DPS, however the gap between bard and other DPS isn't as large as the gap between PLD and WAR/DRK.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It would really be in your best interests to transfer to excalibur and join a goon guild, just so you know.

To get your mount you have to get to the main story where you join a grand company. If you did, then the mount quest is a sidequest that starts at the grand company you joined. If you haven't joined a grand company yet, you haven't advanced the main story far enough. Stop leveling and just do the main story quests until you do.

Is transferring free? I tried to make a character on Excalibur, but it was locked every time I tried. And yes, last night I just skipped every quest except the main story line and have gotten the chocobo quest, but it won't let me turn in. I need to earn some form of currency that I get from helping Limsa Lominsa, I'm assuming the Levemetes and Duty Finder will award those.

EDIT - If transferring isn't free, then I am not opposed to rerolling on Excalibur as a class that starts in Limsa Lominsa so I can unlock Rogue right at level 10.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 16, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bards are support DPS in this game and will always be on the bottom tier of overall DPS, however the gap between bard and other DPS isn't as large as the gap between PLD and WAR/DRK.

Can paladin at least hold threat at 60?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Polegrinder posted:

Is transferring free? I tried to make a character on Excalibur, but it was locked every time I tried. And yes, last night I just skipped every quest except the main story line and have gotten the chocobo quest, but it won't let me turn in. I need to earn some form of currency that I get from helping Limsa Lominsa, I'm assuming the Levemetes and Duty Finder will award those.

EDIT - If transferring isn't free, then I am not opposed to rerolling on Excalibur as a class that starts in Limsa Lominsa so I can unlock Rogue right at level 10.

It costs eighteen dollars

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Transferring an existing character is $18 but usually isn't restricted like a new character.

You have to get 2000 grand company seals and then buy an item from your grand company quartermaster to give to the stable chick. You get those seals by completing fates, guildhests, grand company supply and provisioning missions, some daily duty finder roulettes and your grand company hunting log.

You can see how many seals you have by bringing up your currency screen with ctrl+c. You can see your GC hunting log by hitting H and clicking on your grand company's icon on the left. You will get a substantial number just from doing a full clear of the dungeon Halatili.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Tusk posted:

What is reddit smoking?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

What is reddit smoking?

He's not wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

Do the Hunting Log for your grand company, and run fates. Leves are slow.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Truga posted:

What is reddit smoking?

VAPE LIFE!

But seriously, who the gently caress knows. How do you even implement 'there is X number of people in front of you' incorrectly?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

He's not wrong.

Whats wrong with a counter that says you're 150th in line for exdr as a dps?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if the number is completely wrong, it doesn't change how everything already works so who cares?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

Can paladin at least hold threat at 60?

Yep. They're perfectly competent tanks that are capable of clearing all the content in the game, they just don't do as much DPS as DRK or WAR.

Supposedly they're getting some changes in the next patch but I don't know if they've revealed any details about it (apart from VIT becoming the new tank mainstat which will also affect DRK and WAR so that's not relevant I guess).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's nothing wrong with the idea, that's the point.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Kwyndig posted:

VAPE LIFE!

But seriously, who the gently caress knows. How do you even implement 'there is X number of people in front of you' incorrectly?

There was a couple weeks where the duty finder choked if two groups of 3 people were at the head of the queue.

There's also how it will handle displaying partial groups that may end up in front of you because they have a role that's more in demand.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Nice! posted:

They managed to implement the duty finder in such a way that it would attempt to create impossible parties and stalled out the entire thing in 3.1. I'm sure they can find a way to make the number wrong or otherwise useless.

Not that it will be all that useful anyway, since the speed at which the queue clears has more to do with the rate of other people entering it than how many people are in front of you, and that's not going to be constant anyway.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It will be in percent.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ohtsam posted:

There's also how it will handle displaying partial groups that may end up in front of you because they have a role that's more in demand.

The uh...
The counter will move for less than 2 DPS for your dungeon?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Everything in XIV must first be implemented wrong, and then later fixed to be right.

Also don't play ninja if you have any self respect.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Technogeek posted:

No, you're thinking of Pandemonium Warden. Absolute Virtue was the one that was originally meant to be unkillable.

I don't think AV was meant to be unkillable, just really really loving hard. In fact, they made it so hard that for years nobody could kill it without exploiting some glitches and poo poo. Which, if found out could get them banned, because exploit. So after several years they released a video of devs killing it to prove it could be done and give some hints. AV pops 2min into vid, the hints were basically zooming in on the log at moments and nobody understood wtf they were supposed to see.

Then they eventually upped the level cap and that let people kill it!

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

The prepatch madness is setting in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Belzac posted:

Everything in XIV must first be implemented wrong, and then later fixed to be right.

Also don't play ninja if you have any self respect.

Finally a Belzac post I can agree with without reservation

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

When did you have self-respect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of poorly implemented ideas, did they say that Feast participation is going to be tied to your GC? Because that's the dumbest part of PVP for me.

• Locked thread