Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Radbot posted:

Oh my god this is so BORING, humble bragger

GTFO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

pig slut lisa posted:

Here's a goofy story out of Scotland:

lol

I guess their ramp budget was full and their lift budget was empty.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Radbot posted:

Oh my god this is so BORING, humble bragger

thats what you get for talking about food

in the politics thread

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If this isn't appropriate for this thread, I'll delete it. My father in law was found dead in his home after five months.... What do I have to look at financially to make sure his estate is in order? The police did not find a will, but my wife thinks there will be a safe deposit box with that. Do I need to hire a lawyer? There are lovely brothers of his and a possible crackhead sister from my wife to contend with, although AIDS may have taken her by now... I'll be going to the sheriff to pick up his wallet and keys on thursday, but from there I am so lost. Should I start a thread? I really think I'm going to need help with this.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BloodBag posted:

If this isn't appropriate for this thread, I'll delete it. My father in law was found dead in his home after five months.... What do I have to look at financially to make sure his estate is in order? The police did not find a will, but my wife thinks there will be a safe deposit box with that. Do I need to hire a lawyer? There are lovely brothers of his and a possible crackhead sister from my wife to contend with, although AIDS may have taken her by now... I'll be going to the sheriff to pick up his wallet and keys on thursday, but from there I am so lost. Should I start a thread? I really think I'm going to need help with this.
Estate laws are complex and vary state-to-state. You can ask in the law thread in Ask/Tell, but you're probably going to want to speak to an attorney. Sooner rather than later.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BloodBag posted:

Source your quotes

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

I'm kind of going through the same thing right now. My brother left no will. Five months after his death, I've just been named Administrator of the Estate. A couple of things I can tell you. I doubt the bank with the safety box is going to let you gain access to it. None of my brother's things and access to his accounts were available to me until I had the paperwork showing I was Administrator. If you know who your FIL's attorney was, you might want to start there to see if there was a will. For myself, I'm undergoing the process of opening up probate in three states. Good luck to you.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BloodBag posted:

Unless you uncover some juicy details about your FIL being bad with money, not really the thread for it. I'd start by finding a lawyer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Bad with Money is going to be the resale value of that house without some pretty extensive cleaning bills.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/464msk/140000_in_debt_at_22_starting_to_freak_out/

Nothing super interesting - just your run of the mill 22 year old living well above his means. Not sure how he managed to rack up $112k of student loan for a criminal justice degree (probably DeVry?)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The one saving grace there is at 22, he's got time to pay this all off by the time he's 30, at least if he finds a job paying more than 34k. But god drat.

I have never heard of someone taking out a loan for a computer.

Also, that thread is a treasure trove of humblebrags.

A posted:

If he bought it new he's probably hosed from depreciation. But I agree I make 3x OP and have no loans and bought a car about his price, and even I regret it

B posted:

I make roughly 3x (~260k/yr) what you make, and was hesitant to spend 8k on a personal car. (although my work trucks are 70k+) Ya'll are insane.

A posted:

I regret it but I never said its killing me. I still am saving over 20k a year in cash and about max out on my 401k. Sometimes you need to buy things you enjoy.

B posted:

Ya, unless its going to make me money, im a miser... I was without a car for 3 years, only because i have awesome friends and family with extra cars.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 17, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

People buy computers on store credit all the time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

People buy computers on store credit all the time.

Store credit's one thing, I just pictured by "computer loan" this guy actually went to a bank or lending club or something to get a loan for his computer. I guess they're really the same thing and just as bad.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

The one saving grace there is at 22, he's got time to pay this all off by the time he's 30, at least if he finds a job paying more than 34k. But god drat.

Being frugal regardless of salary is all well and good but when you make $260k and are worried about spending about a week and a half of salary on a car, you might want to reevaluate things a little bit. I think the only reason people put up with that miser B borrowing their cars is the hope that they can somehow eventually crowbar some of that largesse out of his wallet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

Store credit's one thing, I just pictured by "computer loan" this guy actually went to a bank or lending club or something to get a loan for his computer. I guess they're really the same thing and just as bad.

I mean, honestly, how many people don't use a credit card to purchase a computer?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

My mom would buy computers via credit through her job (IBM). This was back when a home PC cost $3k, or probably $4500 in today's dollars. She got a pretty good discount, but holy poo poo computers were expensive back then. 8088 for life, yo.

Subjunctive posted:

I mean, honestly, how many people don't use a credit card to purchase a computer?

It's no worse than any other large purchase on credit. Using a store card or 'buy here pay here' financing is risky though. I think my Dell credit account charges 27% interest. If I ever use that it's for something I can pay off in a couple of months. Using that kind of credit for something that depreciates as fast as a Dell is not good.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 17, 2016

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Without opening the Reddit post I assume it's Apple financing for their products, which is actually just a Barclays credit card.

So a credit card opened specifically for computer purchase.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

Using a credit card for making the actual purpose is different than paying said purchase off over time and incurring double digit interest.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

Using a credit card for making the actual purpose is different than paying said purchase off over time and incurring double digit interest.

Certainly, how long it takes to pay off the loan matters. I suspect that most purchasers of computers on credit don't pay it off before incurring interest costs, but I have no data to support that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Subjunctive posted:

Certainly, how long it takes to pay off the loan matters. I suspect that most purchasers of computers on credit don't pay it off before incurring interest costs, but I have no data to support that.
It's pretty confusing to refer to both using a credit card to aggregate a month's purchases and actually borrowing money to be paid off over time as "on credit". They aren't really anything alike other than that both services are provided by the same companies.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Nail Rat posted:

You've never heard of Blue Hippo?

quote:

BlueHippo's main product was a personal computer system. Its radio commercials stated that a customer must build a "short credit history" to qualify. The payment was made through an installment plan.

quote:

FTC filed a memorandum in federal court reporting that despite collecting more than $15 million from customers since the April 2008 settlement, BlueHippo shipped "at most a single computer"

Also

Weatherman posted:

Source your quotes

Source = My life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's pretty confusing to refer to both using a credit card to aggregate a month's purchases and actually borrowing money to be paid off over time as "on credit". They aren't really anything alike other than that both services are provided by the same companies.

In both cases I have to provide payment later than the purchase itself is made. I can buy a $2000 computer when I only have $1000, as long as I have it later in the month to pay it off. That, rather than any interest charge, is what defines a loan, no? The credit I'm extended by my issuer is at 0% until a month ends, and then it's higher. I've made 0% loans to friends that were repaid in a lump sum, and I don't know why I wouldn't have been considered a creditor. (That was the word used in the loan agreement, in fact.)

But even if we disagree about the meaning of credit. I'm fine with just stating my belief that most computer purchasers pay off some portion of it after they incur an interest charge, which is to say they're paying it off over time in a perhaps-more-amenable-to-you way.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I pretty much only buy new computers on credit, but I do it when either Dell or Best Buy are doing some sort of 0% offer. (Getting one of those and not paying it off in time is some great BWM, though; they usually retroactively charge interest for the whole balance.)

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

quote:

I live in the Boston area and currently spend $500 a month to take Uber to work. I would take bus or train, but they are at least a 20 minute walk away and very inconvenient.
I need to buy a car ASAP. But I don't want to buy a new car, because I will only be driving 2000 miles a year. I want to buy a car for $5000-10000 that is reliable and will last me a long time. But I have no clue where to start looking or where to find good deals.
Please help!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Why doesn't that dipshit buy a folding bicycle for one month's worth of ubers? I'm guessing morbid obesity is keeping him from a super tiring 20 minute walk each way :rolleyes:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I bought a Macbook Pro that was well beyond what I needed because it's nice and I wanted it. Please be kind in your roasting of me.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Blinkman987 posted:

I bought a Macbook Pro that was well beyond what I needed because it's nice and I wanted it. Please be kind in your roasting of me.

It's only shameful if you paid their ridiculous prices for upgrades. It's like $200 for a 200mhz processor bump that absolutely nobody could notice. They're drat nice machines though, and not even that overpriced (at base) now that every manufacturer has practically normalized mbp price for any laptop that isn't a huge piece of poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Anecdotal evidence that will be immediately disproved by someone who bought a $200 Dell 12 years ago that can still play Fallout 4, but my MBP works great after almost 3 years. I've never had a Dell or HP last me 2 years without making me hate myself. The battery only lasts 3 hours, but I think I might be able to swing a replacement before AppleCare runs out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

BloodBag posted:

Why doesn't that dipshit buy a folding bicycle for one month's worth of ubers? I'm guessing morbid obesity is keeping him from a super tiring 20 minute walk each way :rolleyes:
It's twenty additional minutes each way - I'm assuming that would make his commute more like forty or fifty minutes, which to me is worth spending money to reduce. Not sucking it up until he finds a real solution is dumb but.... I could at least imagine paying another $500 in rent to cut down my commute time.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It's twenty additional minutes each way - I'm assuming that would make his commute more like forty or fifty minutes, which to me is worth spending money to reduce. Not sucking it up until he finds a real solution is dumb but.... I could at least imagine paying another $500 in rent to cut down my commute time.

For $500 you could lease like 20 Chevy Cruz's

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BloodBag posted:

You ever ridden a bike in boston in the winter? It's...not fun. Casuals need not apply.

BloodBag posted:

You've never heard of Blue Hippo?

Also

Source = My life.

Yet another example of how expensive it is to be poor.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

He said he would be driving less than 2000 miles a year. Assuming he's driving absolutely no where else in this 2000 miles, he has a 4-5 mile commute. I can almost guarantee he's fat.

Also possibly walking for 40 minutes a day, oh no.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Inept posted:

He said he would be driving less than 2000 miles a year. Assuming he's driving absolutely no where else in this 2000 miles, he has a 4-5 mile commute. I can almost guarantee he's fat.

It's definitely rough in the winter, but plenty of people do it year round.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

Unlike my iPad Pro you can't get 40 miles per gallon. What were you thinking?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Inept posted:

He said it's a twenty minute walk to public transit, he then has to wait for a train or a bus, and then ride the train or bus. Assuming he takes twenty minutes off his commute, it's basically three extra hours of work per week. I dunno about you but that's well worth avoiding to me. Personally, if I were offered $500/month to work an extra three hours per week, I'd turn it down. :shrug:

Biking to work is awesome if your setup allows for it, as mine does, but there are lots of ways that plan can be waylaid. I wouldn't do it if my office didn't have a shower. Living in an area with a lot of snow can be a hindrance as well, as suddenly the roads are slippery AND the bike lanes are often blocked.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 17, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

He said it's a twenty minute walk to public transit, he then has to wait for a train or a bus, and then ride the train or bus. Assuming he takes twenty minutes off his commute, it's basically three extra hours of work per week. I dunno about you but that's well worth avoiding to me. Personally, if I were offered $500/month to work an extra three hours per week, I'd turn it down. :shrug:

Biking to work is awesome if your setup allows for it, as mine does, but there are lots of ways that plan can be waylaid. I wouldn't do it if my office didn't have a shower. Living in an area with a lot of snow can be a hindrance as well, as suddenly the roads are slippery AND the bike lanes are often blocked.

you'd turn down 12 hours of work at $41/hr?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

you'd turn down 12 hours of work at $41/hr?

On the margin? Yeah. I work a lot of hours a week already, three hours per week is a big chunk of my free time.

Obviously there are a lot of variables, a nice enough bike ride wouldn't always feel like work.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 17, 2016

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Check your $41/HR privilege :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

On the margin? Yeah. I work a lot of hours a week already, three hours per week is a big chunk of my free time.

Agreed.

In fact, I'd happily take something like a 25-30% pay cut to also cut my hours by ~25-30% down to something like 30 hours a week if I retained benefits. Past a certain point of necessities being covered, hobbies being indulged, and retirement being saved for more free time is far more valuable to me than money.

And yet companies are always willing to give out more money, but not more time off. I've tried.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 17, 2016

• Locked thread