Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

drjuggalo posted:

i like my mangakas not trying to buy underage girls thank you very much

lol what

And I remember reading the first dozen or so chapters of toriko a while back and not really feeling it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

uhhh what?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I remember having a weird problem with Toriko but I only read the first hundred or so chapters. Spoilers I guess. I'll tie it into One Piece discussion.

I felt like every arc invalidated the one before it, since every early arc has the big bad defeat the previous big bad effortlessly. So NOW poo poo IS SERIOUS which I guess I understand from a storytelling perspective but it was seriously, like, "Big Croc is strong as gently caress but wait giant ape is so strong it SHITS on Big Croc but hey Smart Wolf is so strong, man, we cloned it and it effortlessly killed every big bad from the last three arcs!" In One Piece, even early arc bosses are still considered threats today, the world feels so rich and scary because strong people are everywhere.

Also it was weird to me that Toriko starts the story as like, one of the four strongest people on Earth or something? I'm sure challenges later arise and he improves like in all shonen but it's like, if we read One Piece from Whitebeard's perspective, but he already was a Yonkou? And every arc was just revealing cool poo poo he could already do?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Asuron posted:

uhhh what?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the incident where the author got arrested for seeking underage prostitutes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mycot posted:

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the incident where the author got arrested for seeking underage prostitutes.
ahahahaaaaaaa gently caress that guy then

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

I still watch Roman Polanski films, I can't judge

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I still watch Roman Polanski films, I can't judge

I'm sure his wife and kid being brutally murdered hosed him up pretty bad. I generally try and distance the artist from the work, because unfortunately a lot of them are raging assholes in one fashion or another.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Advice posted:

I remember having a weird problem with Toriko but I only read the first hundred or so chapters. Spoilers I guess. I'll tie it into One Piece discussion.

I felt like every arc invalidated the one before it, since every early arc has the big bad defeat the previous big bad effortlessly. So NOW poo poo IS SERIOUS which I guess I understand from a storytelling perspective but it was seriously, like, "Big Croc is strong as gently caress but wait giant ape is so strong it SHITS on Big Croc but hey Smart Wolf is so strong, man, we cloned it and it effortlessly killed every big bad from the last three arcs!" In One Piece, even early arc bosses are still considered threats today, the world feels so rich and scary because strong people are everywhere.

Also it was weird to me that Toriko starts the story as like, one of the four strongest people on Earth or something? I'm sure challenges later arise and he improves like in all shonen but it's like, if we read One Piece from Whitebeard's perspective, but he already was a Yonkou? And every arc was just revealing cool poo poo he could already do?

That's the best part! Every arc is way more absurd than the last. You should see the current stuff! :psyboom:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Silento posted:

That's the best part! Every arc is way more absurd than the last. You should see the current stuff! :psyboom:

Knowing nothing about Toriko, I really like how one fight involves a guy using dark gravity powers to invert the particles on a dude he's fighting in some alternate dimension and so the particles in most of his body turn to nothingness, ripping him apart.

It looks ridiculously cool!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It should be noted that writing a story starring a protagonist that's already the strongest isn't fundamentally bad. It just takes someone like ONE to pull it off.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It should be noted that writing a story starring a protagonist that's already the strongest isn't fundamentally bad. It just takes someone like ONE to pull it off.

Toriko doesn't start out as anywhere near the strongest, though. He's famous, but there's plenty of people stronger than him.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Silver2195 posted:

Toriko doesn't start out as anywhere near the strongest, though. He's famous, but there's plenty of people stronger than him.

Fair enough. I haven't read it. I was just commenting on the general sentiment of Advice's post.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I stopped Toriko when they started doing all this poo poo that wasn't about about doing an insane mission to gather an ingredient to make a delicious as gently caress looking meal.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Knowing nothing about Toriko, I really like how one fight involves a guy using dark gravity powers to invert the particles on a dude he's fighting in some alternate dimension and so the particles in most of his body turn to nothingness, ripping him apart.

You are extremely close to the mechanics of an actual fight in toriko.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

mycot posted:

He wasn't just looking for them, he paid a 16 year old girl to have sex with him - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2002-08-07/mitsutoshi-shimabukuro-arrested

I don't care how good Toriko is, gently caress that guy.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
drat, I totally forgot how heart wrenching the beginning of Water 7 was.

Also, Kaku's first appearance was slashing a man in the back with a saw

Finally, Luffy's drawing of Franky before Water 7 was pretty accurate.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Luffy's drawings being prophetic has been a running gag for a while

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well poo poo that's a plot twist I did not expect at all, wow. Well played Oda.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

drat, that was good. I have been so busy with real life that for the first time in ten years, I had a backlog. It was a weird experience.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I am curious about how much of Pluton's design Franky put into the Thousand Sunny

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

dazoner posted:

I am curious about how much of Pluton's design Franky put into the Thousand Sunny
The Thousand Sunny is Pluton. Called it here first

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Franky's dream is to have a ship that he designed become the pirate king's ship there's no way much if any of it was based on pluton

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Bisse posted:

The Thousand Sunny is Pluton. Called it here first

Sorry, friend.

Crazyeyes posted:

I've always thought that Franky modeled the Thousand Sunny after Pluton.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

Franky's dream is to have a ship that he designed become the pirate king's ship there's no way much if any of it was based on pluton

If anything from Pluton is on the Sunny it's the laser canon which Franky modified to run off cola.

Though I do like the idea that Pluton had a cute lion/flower figurehead.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Gyges posted:

If anything from Pluton is on the Sunny it's the laser canon which Franky modified to run off cola.

Though I do like the idea that Pluton had a cute lion/flower figurehead.

The blueprints were actually just a Luffy style drawing of a lion/flower.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Krampus Grewcock posted:

The blueprints were actually just a Luffy style drawing of a lion/flower.

Then he mixed up the kitchen and the armory. The cola was meant for the fridge! :downs:

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
You can takes aspects of something else and still have an original design... of course pluton has a sunflower/lion mast!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

To people who have read Toriko and other not quite mainstream shonenjump titles, how similar are the fights to Medaka Box? iD be willing to give it a shot if the comparison is fair. also I love that one guy with the hair in Jump Victory vs

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

There doing a second round of showings for the One Piece Kabuki show so they put out a commercial with clips of the preformance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HehpyI33Yxk

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
This re-read I am doing has me thinking about the story arcs... Even though pre grand line has the "Walk to Arlong Park" moment, overall it was pretty weak in comparison with everything from the Grand line forward. Pre Grand line was actually a bit boring and I found myself wishing it would hurry on. Once Oda got to the Grand line the story really picks up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dazoner posted:

This re-read I am doing has me thinking about the story arcs... Even though pre grand line has the "Walk to Arlong Park" moment, overall it was pretty weak in comparison with everything from the Grand line forward. Pre Grand line was actually a bit boring and I found myself wishing it would hurry on. Once Oda got to the Grand line the story really picks up.

Are you rereading it using the color chapters?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Captain Invictus posted:

What's this about colour chapters?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pureauthor posted:

What's this about colour chapters?
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece-Digital-Colored-Comics

Up into Dressrosa, fully colored One Piece, with new translations, so no more Bisoromi Bear.

If it was available to purchase in English I'd buy it, but the colored version is as of yet Japanese-only.

The images are good quality, too.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Captain Invictus posted:

Up into Dressrosa, fully colored One Piece, with new translations, so no more Bisoromi Bear.

If it was available to purchase in English I'd buy it, but the colored version is as of yet Japanese-only.

The translation isn't perfect and does vary, but it's better than when these were all originally scanlated. I just finished Skypiea and chapters kept alternating between using Shandia/Cyandia, Wiper/Waipa, and Fairy Vearth/Endless Earth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anything is better than the original scans

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Anything is better than the original scans

Whats wrong with xusasu busasu and marsuru d chocheh?

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Captain Invictus posted:

A combination of the color chapters and the official viz translation. The color images are great but sometimes the translations are terrible.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The davy back fight with "looser" all over is triggering me

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think this was brought up last time this image was posted but maybe not, but I love the panel with Donquixote and Kuma because every last one of the Vice-Admirals is a different design. They're all wearing the same outfit but their height, bodyshape, and facial hair are all different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

Whats wrong with xusasu busasu and marsuru d chocheh?

...What are you even writing here? Are those actual fan translations?