Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That's been my experience working at a store. I have blue core ones, black core ones, all sorts of fakes. But no matter what someone is always claiming they have 100% totally seen the brand new ultra special, super good fakes that everyone should definitely panic about, and sure enough whenever they brought them in to show me it'd be instantly obvious it was fake. One guy brought me an Imperial Recruiter he made up all sorts of stories about how good and amazing and perfect it was.

The set symbol was gold and not silver, and all the text font was wrong.

But I guarantee you someone is going to quote you and say "oh you definitely haven't seen the actually good fakes"

In the time it took you to post this you were correct XD

Well I'm glad all of the magic thread has totally seen perfect fakes and yet no one owns any themselves or can point to which of the 800 million Ali express vendors are the real deal instead of another guy printing faded scans onto the wrong card stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Well I'm glad all of the magic thread has totally seen perfect fakes and yet no one owns any themselves or can point to which of the 800 million Ali express vendors are the real deal instead of another guy printing faded scans onto the wrong card stock.

Exactly, I'm glad you understand. *fades into the shadows*

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

Nobody will tell you where to buy meth, obviously there's no meth problem.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'll trade my cards for meth.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I trade my Meth for cards. The high is momentary, but Legacy and Vintage are forever.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Nobody will tell you where to buy meth, obviously there's no meth problem.

I went to college in Southern West Virginia. Many people will tell me actually, I've seen meth bought and sold, I have been offered meth. lmao if you think buying drugs in anywhere in the U.S. is remotely hard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheTofuShop posted:

I trade my Meth for cards. The high is momentary, but Legacy and Vintage are forever.

....Or until WotC decides to spike the price of all of the reserved list cards.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I went to college in Southern West Virginia. Many people will tell me actually, I've seen meth bought and sold, I have been offered meth. LMAO if you think buying drugs in anywhere in the U.S. is remotely hard.

Same except for central Pennsylvania.

Edit: specifically, meth central, PA. I could've walked up 3 houses and bought meth, not that I knew it at the time. Not until the house burned down.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 16, 2016

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Meth and Magic are similar in that the best quality product has a blue core

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's totally possible to be handed a fake and go "oh wow that's really good I would have never known" its not about how sick and rad I am at spotting fakes but how everyone who mentions a really great and amazing fake is always talking about it third or fourth hand and whenever you get to see them they are always bad. It's this endless rumor now about how the ones with ____ core paper are the secret super good ones! no one ever has the good ones, they have the OK ones, but they definetely 100% know a guy who works in China who totally has the super good ones that would fool anyone.

The point is that knowing a card is fake gives you plenty of advantages and changes the way you look at a card. Its just human nature.

Fake quality that is going to pass a deck check isn't even all that unrealistic. The minimum requirements are to not fuzzy up the fonts, get the rarity right, and get the colors in the natural range of the print. Judges don't have time to take poo poo out of sleeves and give a feel test. They aren't applying a bend test. They are focused on making sure your deck registration is right and moving on.

There is no such thing as perfect fakes. And if there were, who would know anyway?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 16, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'll trade my cards for meth.

PM me.

I haven't enjoyed playing much this past year. It's just been a thing to do since I'm so invested. The car thing is a good excuse. I could afford one without selling out, but with modern prices being insane and the reserve spikes, it seems like the time is now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Speaking as someone who was passed a counterfeit Snapcaster and who performs deck checks at comp REL events, there absolutely are fakes good enough that a deck checking judge will not catch them. They're not perfect, but during deck checks we don't look closely enough at individual cards to note counterfeits of this quality.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mods I am 100 percent joking about trading cards for drugs on this comedy website btw.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I went to college in Southern West Virginia. Many people will tell me actually, I've seen meth bought and sold, I have been offered meth. lmao if you think buying drugs in anywhere in the U.S. is remotely hard.

Except his argument was implying good fakes don't exist because people aren't volunteering information as to where to buy them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Speaking as someone who was passed a counterfeit Snapcaster and who performs deck checks at comp REL events, there absolutely are fakes good enough that a deck checking judge will not catch them. They're not perfect, but during deck checks we don't look closely enough at individual cards to note counterfeits of this quality.

It really shouldn't be that hard to understand that 'good enough' for a fake means 'doesn't obviously stand out when fanning through the deck to verify it' and not 'stands up to jeweler's appraisal after already being revealed as a fake'.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Voyager I posted:

It really shouldn't be that hard to understand that 'good enough' for a fake means 'doesn't obviously stand out when fanning through the deck to verify it' and not 'stands up to jeweler's appraisal after already being revealed as a fake'.

Yeah there's a huge difference between random deck check at a GP and "this guy is suspected of playing with counterfeits" in terms of scrutiny.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cactrot posted:

Yeah there's a huge difference between random deck check at a GP and "this guy is suspected of playing with counterfeits" in terms of scrutiny.

Or the other cases people were talking about like having someone hand them a fake while telling them it was a fake and seeing if they could spot the differences under intense study. That's not really what a counterfeit is made for.

I do understand if people are exaggerating the quality of fakes and in general even the good ones won't pass that level of examination, but you have to be realistic about what a fake is going to be used for and saying 'I've never spotted the passable fakes' probably isn't making the argument you think it is.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

It terms of fake cards I had a set of beta moxes in front of me. The best way to spot that the sapphire was a fake is that with a strong magnifying glass you could see that the grey oval of the casting cost was made up of rgb lines not black spots as it the case on real cards. They were unsleeved and all appeared identical to the naked eye and felt the same.

This card had also had a few owners and as such had some real wear on it. I told the vendor it was fake but they didn't/wouldn't believe me and I presume it has now been sold.

There is my anecdote.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I would think that WOTC secretly handing vendors lists of upcoming reprints so they know which cards to stop buylisting would be far worse for consumer confidence than abolishing the Reserved List would be, but apparently not.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I would think that WOTC secretly handing vendors lists of upcoming reprints so they know which cards to stop buylisting would be far worse for consumer confidence than abolishing the Reserved List would be, but apparently not.

Look, the reserved list was a promise to screw over all of the game's future players. They never promised not to give vendors a list of future reprints with which to screw us over.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think its WOTC directly doing it. I am pretty sure employees with friends and paying acquaintances are leaking everything even in this case.

I take that back, SSG might get this info straight from high but I doubt many other would be allowed that same privilege.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If they make fakes good enough to be undetectable they probably aren't selling them as fakes

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Would limiting the # of copies you can buy from an online vendor help with the buyout problem?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Zephirum posted:

Would limiting the # of copies you can buy from an online vendor help with the buyout problem?

No because for the 20th time this isn't a buyout problem, it's a "WotC screwed us and people are buying the cards they need to play the decks they want to play before they get priced out of them forever" problem.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

I don't think its WOTC directly doing it. I am pretty sure employees with friends and paying acquaintances are leaking everything even in this case.

I take that back, SSG might get this info straight from high but I doubt many other would be allowed that same privilege.
I like when this is said because someone inevitably comes along and says the job security isn't worth a couple thousand bucks. Nevermind that job security doesn't matter if your bosses don't care...~

Zephirum posted:

Nah, you'll just make dummy accounts with nearby friends' addresses.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zephirum posted:

Why would a vendor ever want to do that?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Pete doubled down on this not being true and I tend to trust him because he has a lot to lose by lying.

A few vendors probably just have some friends on the inside.

suicidesteve posted:

No because for the 20th time this isn't a buyout problem, it's a "WotC screwed us and people are buying the cards they need to play the decks they want to play before they get priced out of them forever" problem.
It is mostly this but there is at least a small percent of people who do this. Because I know these people and make fun of them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Pete doubled down on this not being true and I tend to trust him because he has a lot to lose by lying.

A few vendors probably just have some friends on the inside.

It is mostly this but there is at least a small percent of people who do this. Because I know these people and make fun of them.

Yeah I mean there's not 0 people buying cards just to sell them again, but to act like that's the reason these cards are so expensive now is silly.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If a dollar card is spiking, I try to nab two sets so I have a second one to trade.
There's a local-ish MTG finance facebook group and the thread about their failed specs is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The league of traders impose trade sanctions on SCG; channel fireball to consider autarky

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snacksmaniac posted:

If a dollar card is spiking, I try to nab two sets so I have a second one to trade.
There's a local-ish MTG finance facebook group and the thread about their failed specs is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

At least they are more honest with themselves. I know a bunch of that type and they'll only ever tell you about their sweet specs. I left the fb groups for those but you can still hear them talk about it at FNM. :3:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Well it's not a big deal to people yet because the only evidence we have is:

1. A person on Reddit who said he overheard people talking about the Modern bans and Eternal Masters at a GP. The info turned out to be correct, but the story about the GP could be a smokescreen to hide their inside source.

2. A person on Twitter who is making incredibly vague threats against vendors who have info. Could be a hoax, not saying it is or isn't though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

:lol: if you think west virginia is representative of meth/drug use in the states.

I went to college in upper michigan and saw people directly trade magic cards for weed, clearly that means magic cards are being used by cartels to launder money.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Mods I am 100 percent joking about trading cards for drugs on this comedy website btw.

lmao we have a forum dedicated to doing drugs you dolt, why would a mod give a drat

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

:lol: if you think west virginia is representative of meth/drug use in the states.

I like how you go from condescending....

Yawgmoth posted:

I went to college in upper michigan and saw people directly trade magic cards for weed, clearly that means magic cards are being used by cartels to launder money.

...to a post that reinforces his point that drugs are easy to get.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You have it backwards, card cartels use drugs to launder their illicit cardboard deals.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

whydirt posted:

You have it backwards, card cartels use drugs to launder their illicit cardboard deals.

I can't wait for the CSI Miami episode where we look into children's card games and their value on the black market.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

SoI has a CSI crossover baked into the story. That's why we have the clue tokens.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

I can't wait for the CSI Miami episode where we look into children's card games and their value on the black market.

Investigator sees a fake wall, hits it, and hundreds of cards fall through. Takes one, rips it... "blue core."
Other investigator shakes head. "gently caress. gently caress me."

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I have seen people do, buy, and trade for drugs. I'm really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I have seen people do, buy, and trade for drugs. I'm really cool.

:same: friend was really dumb and carried around several ounces after trading a lot at a GP once. :psyduck:

• Locked thread