Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Defenestration posted:

Meanwhile, I see what you're getting at here but I think that the link between traditional gender roles and violence is harder to overcome than you think. Consider all those EPORW memes about shooting people who come within 1000 yards of your family, or how if you don't like guns you do not have testicles and are in fact a weak, gross Woman. Why not instead of saying "be a man" and all the baggage that comes with that, let's say "be a good person" and leave the gender roles out?
There's the whole International Men's Day movement that is trying to do that though, which is reportedly successful.

Gender roles are constraining and cause social harm to people who don't fit them or don't want to fit them, as well as all the other harms of patriarchy to both men and women, but I think in many communities if you just come in and announce that "you don't have to be a man/woman" you'll make a lot of people stop listening, whereas their tactic is "you don't have to use violence to be a man, here's some better ways to resolve a conflict, here's some better ways to be a husband/father" type stuff to people who have decided that they do want to be a man.

It's still taking place within a primarily gender binary heteronormative etc. etc. series of constructs, but pragmatically if it works for reducing bad things then it's a good thing, even if just as a stepping stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm having a vibrant discussion with some folks who think Robert Bork is the epitome of (D) partisan hacks gumming up a straightforward nomination of an upstanding Judge. I have a vague memory of a Jeb Lund (ish?) article detailing just how off-kilter Bork went after he lost the nomination, does that ring a bell with anyone?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

JawnV6 posted:

I'm having a vibrant discussion with some folks who think Robert Bork is the epitome of (D) partisan hacks gumming up a straightforward nomination of an upstanding Judge. I have a vague memory of a Jeb Lund (ish?) article detailing just how off-kilter Bork went after he lost the nomination, does that ring a bell with anyone?

I don't know about that, but I do know that Joe Biden and the other Senate Democrats were objecting to Bork himself. Unlike today, they didn't claim it was illegitimate for Reagan to fill the vacancy, and ultimately confirmed Kennedy unanimously. McConnell doesn't know whom Obama will nominate and he's already sworn to oppose them.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Fulchrum posted:

If I recall correctly, that's Animorphs. Everyone is depressed and going crazy, they need to blow up hospitals and civilian targets, there's absolutely no backup or help coming, and the best they can do is stall the efforts of an enemy with far far more resources.

Wat?

E: he wasn't kidding

quote:

Horror, war, dehumanization, sanity, morality, innocence, leadership, freedom, and growing up are the core themes of the series.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animorphs

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 16, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah Animorphs got surprisingly dark for a Scholastic series. At one point they get on board a Pool Ship which the parasite aliens use to travel through space. Each ship has tens of thousands of aliens. They are established to be ruthless, but desperate and sentient. Jake, the leader of the group, is super jaded by the war. He was once infested by one of these aliens (which he starved to death by denying it sunlight) and his brother died while infested by one. As such, he orders the aliens spaced, effectively committing genocide right there and then. It fucks him up mentally and he is haunted by his decision after.

Ya know, for kids!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Would've liked to have seen that episode on Nickelodeon.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Moxie posted:

I don't know the tropes you're referring to. I agree that feminism and patriarchy issues are important, but I'm not sure if war is a symptom. I recognize the descriptive power of the phrase "toxic masculinity" but without examination or an academic eye for language it sounds like a pure condemnation of male identity.

I guess my question is, are you arguing that war is men's fault, and we'd have world peace if women were in charge/held equal power?

Edit: Eh, I'm being a dick about this. I just didn't expect gender identity issues to be brought up during the subject of pacifism. I guess I relate it to my own pet issue of global economy , but it's tough to argue that human psychology doesn't play an equal role.
ok, you seem sincere so I'm going to do you a solid. here's the issue

Moxie posted:

I don't know but toxic masculinity could use some rebranding. The phrase is pretty off-putting.
this is a tone argument. It is often used to distract, minimize or dismiss what feminists say. The problem is not the phrase.

quote:

it sounds like a pure condemnation of male identity.
the problem is not the phrase: it is impossible to find ways to talk about these issues that men don't find an assault on their masculinity. Making men feel good about what feminists are saying is not the point at all. (Men won't ever like being shown their privilege) They point is to point out patriarchy's abuses and challenge its hegemony over all our lives.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

N. Senada posted:

Would've liked to have seen that episode on Nickelodeon.

Yeah, the Nick show sucked. They had to cut pretty much all the gore (literally translated, the books would probably be a hard R for violence- there was a lot of dismemberment vividly described), and the budget was so low that they could barely show any of the morphing or aliens. It should have been animated. Plus there's the trouble of trying to compress a full-length novel, even a kids' one, into 22 minutes. It had a few funny moments, but it was nowhere near the brilliance of the novels.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Defenestration posted:

this is a tone argument. It is often used to distract, minimize or dismiss what feminists say. The problem is not the phrase.
It, at the very least, is a term that needs more explanation than the average Joe is going to be interested in after they perceive you as attacking who they are. That's not tone. Are they incorrect in their perception? Probably, but they aren't going to get it unless you make the opportunity to actually communicate with them—which is impossible now that they're feeling defensive.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Moxie posted:

I don't know but toxic masculinity could use some rebranding. The phrase is pretty off-putting.
How many people do you think hear the phrase "toxic metals" and think all metals are toxic

What I'm saying is some ignorance is willful.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cugel the Clever posted:

It, at the very least, is a term that needs more explanation than the average Joe is going to be interested in after they perceive you as attacking who they are. That's not tone. Are they incorrect in their perception? Probably, but they aren't going to get it unless you make the opportunity to actually communicate with them—which is impossible now that they're feeling defensive.

That is some real fragile masculinity

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Polybius91 posted:

How many people do you think hear the phrase "toxic metals" and think all metals are toxic

What I'm saying is some ignorance is willful.

Actually all metals are toxic (in large enough quantities)

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Kit Walker posted:

That is some real fragile masculinity
Indeed.

Cugel, I leave it as an exercise for you to re-read what I wrote to Moxie and see how it applies to what you just outlined.

It also occurs to me that, if the gentlemen have figured out a way to talk about feminist issues without men getting all het up and yelling NOT ALL MEN ARGH I AM SO MAD I'M NOT LISTENING LALALA then by all means you should be going out and doing it with every other man you meet!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Moxie posted:

And did you know that in high enough quantities, dihydrogen monoxide can make your lungs shut down and cause you to suffocate! Keep an eye on what they put in the pool, man!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Moxie posted:

Except Dio.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So I'm afraid the LL 101 harvest isn't quite big enough for a Scalia dump yet. I'll need to give it a week.

In the meantime, though, check out something bizarre.

quote:

Donald Trump’s loss in Iowa cannot be chalked up to a wave of antidisestablishmentarianism. After all, Iowa winner Ted Cruz is hardly a Beltway favorite. But the downing of the Donald makes total sense if you realize that, when it comes to campaign mentality, Trump is the establishment candidate. He’s even campaigning like it in South Carolina, fresh off his New Hampshire win.

This is counterintuitive because Trump earns much of his support from the idea that he is running against the Washington establishment. He gives voters the idea that he is here to disrupt the system that has failed them and rig it in their favor instead. This works so well because voters have legitimate reasons to distrust the system.

As has been noted countless times, the 2014 election of a Republican Congress and the subsequent voter disappointment in conservative legislation is enough reason for voters to seek candidates with an anti-establishment message. Voters are reacting against Republican candidates who pander to their conservativism for their votes then go on to betray conservative principles once in office. Voters feel taken for granted.

Donald Trump Takes Voters for Granted

But in Iowa, Trump did exactly this—he took voters for granted. He assumed that his usual bravado and politically incorrect comments were enough to win him the historically tight Iowa caucuses. He assumed he could win Iowa without attending the only Republican debate held in the state and without a serious grassroots campaign.

Trump even told attendees at one Iowa rally, “I have the most loyal people, where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters. It’s like incredible.” This shows tremendous disrespect for voters—the same disrespect Trump supporters are supposedly rallying against. Trump himself admitted after Iowa he had “never realized” the importance of meeting voters in person to ask for their votes: “It would seem to me that people would just go out and vote.”

Trump repeated this mistake in New Hampshire. After the initial Iowa shock set in, Trump’s campaign squeezed in a few more stops in the Granite State. However, Trump only made around 40 stops to the state. In contrast, his opponents Marco Rubio, John Kasich, and Jeb Bush all made 80, 185, and 111, respectively.

Already underperforming in face-to-face events, Trump cancelled all his campaign stops due to snow, including a town hall in Londonderry—one of the few voter-focused events he was hosting. Trump’s campaign said these cancellations were because nearby airports were closed (they weren’t) but that should not have been a problem for the Donald, who travels via his private jet.

The Little People Exist to Make Me Win

Think what you want about Ted Cruz’s controversial Iowa mailers: he asked for votes. Not only does he ask for votes, Cruz expects to earn them. Cruz’s South Carolina headquarters are calling in people from across the country to reach South Carolina voters in person. Even the candidate many say is the establishment’s choice, Rubio, practices asking for votes. It’s at the end of most of his speeches: “I ask for your vote.”

Even a month out from the primaries, the Washington Post reported Trump’s New Hampshire hub was empty. In addition, there is growing evidence that his usual tactic of drawing crowds at rallies is beginning to diminish. Trump won New Hampshire because his genuinely conservative opponents divided the other votes among them, as the New Hampshire Union-Leader pointed out, not because he has the overwhelming support he claims.

Donald Trump does not give voters the dignity of acting like he ought to earn their votes. He thought that showing up for a few rallies and a view inside his private jet would be enough for the little people of Iowa. Since he won New Hampshire with little change of tactics, he almost certainly thinks he’ll get votes in South Carolina just for existing.

The biggest lie the Donald ever told was that his philosophy was somehow different than that of the Republican establishment. It is clear that Trump and the GOP have the exact same view of voters: a patronizing view of an expendable herd that can be easily swayed by rhetoric without needing proof candidates can achieve results through the political process. For voters burned by the 2014 midterm elections, this is some serious déjà vu.

There's more anti-TRump stuff than Bernie or Clinton. And they're doing it cause he's not pure conservative enough for them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hermetic posted:

I once would have said Paths of Glory, until a student told me that the 3 soldiers deserved to be executed, because the troops should have taken that hill.

Kubrick Wept.

Not about war in particular, but in my advanced English class in high school, after we read Of Mice and Men one of the other students said "Lenny deserved to die because he was retarded". That's an exact quote. Never underestimate the human capacity to take the worst possible wrong message from a work of art.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For example, a way too large portion of the fanbase of Scarface and The Wolf of Wall Street

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Not about war in particular, but in my advanced English class in high school, after we read Of Mice and Men one of the other students said "Lenny deserved to die because he was retarded". That's an exact quote. Never underestimate the human capacity to take the worst possible wrong message from a work of art.
tbf Lenny had about the best outcome possible. Shot through the brainstem unawares while thinking about rabbits is far better than being lynched by a mob or running town to town through the Great Depression with a price on his head and no idea why. His life seems to be better than many of the other characters throughout.

Tony Montana otoh was bad because he had a ton of coke and didn't even share any of that poo poo with Steven Bauer, which is why he had to go on breaking bad and get Hal to make meth for him. The moral of the story is 'don't volunteer for jobs from people that will kill you if you're going to change your mind halfway through'.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

The Wolf of Wall Street

Throw in DiCaprio's character from The Great Gatsby and you could do a whole special on "image macros that clearly missed the point"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gradenko_2000 posted:

Throw in DiCaprio's character from The Great Gatsby and you could do a whole special on "image macros that clearly missed the point"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's so crazy he MUST be right!!

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

He's so crazy he MUST be right!!

"He's a dark, crazy loner who does whatever he wants, just like me!" *goes back to making "ironically" bigoted posts on 4chan while eating pizza rolls his mommy microwaved for him*

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Except that the Joker did make a good point. Remember back when Charlie Hebdo was attacked and it seemed like the entire Internet was out in solidarity with them? That same week Boko Haram razed something like a dozen villages in Africa and it got very little attention in the news, even though the death toll was an order of magnitude greater than what happened in Paris. And the explanation? "Well, that's Africa, it's just what happens there."

People really don't object to horrifying things as long as they don't interfere with the status quo.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Memorized the constitution, you don't say?
Then he conveniently forgot the part about the president appointing supreme court justices

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Armyman25 posted:

Except that the Joker did make a good point. Remember back when Charlie Hebdo was attacked and it seemed like the entire Internet was out in solidarity with them? That same week Boko Haram razed something like a dozen villages in Africa and it got very little attention in the news, even though the death toll was an order of magnitude greater than what happened in Paris. And the explanation? "Well, that's Africa, it's just what happens there."

People really don't object to horrifying things as long as they don't interfere with the status quo.

He makes a good point, but does so in the name of justifying his actions which are lovely and horrifying, status quo or not

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
Sometimes I wonder if I should take people off of ignore. Then I see things like "Except the Joker did make a good point" when someone quotes them, and I am super-happy that we have an ignore list. :3:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Hermetic posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I should take people off of ignore. Then I see things like "Except the Joker did make a good point" when someone quotes them, and I am super-happy that we have an ignore list. :3:

So you don't think it was hypocritical of people to freak out over a few journalists being shot in Paris and then turn around and not care about hundreds of Africans being killed the same week?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

So you don't think it was hypocritical of people to freak out over a few journalists being shot in Paris and then turn around and not care about hundreds of Africans being killed the same week?

The point of his post just soared way over your head, hoss. (You're ignored)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

6. Aside from the humanitarian concerns, war is an enormously expensive venture.

Silly liberal, wars *make* money. They cause massive government spending on R&D, heavy machinery, fuel, food, transport, a vast web of contracts and subcontracts, etc. The combined effect is that taxpayer funds turbo-charge the economy creating a feedback loop, creating more value across American society.

It's not like building a new school or fixing a bridge or anything, that's pretty much like just chucking the money into a hole in the ground and burning it.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This amused me.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Parachute posted:

The point of his post just soared way over your head, hoss. (You're ignored)

I know that, but it's a pretty poor debating tactic to argue against the source of the argument rather than the argument itself.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Silly liberal, wars *make* money. They cause massive government spending on R&D, heavy machinery, fuel, food, transport, a vast web of contracts and subcontracts, etc. The combined effect is that taxpayer funds turbo-charge the economy creating a feedback loop, creating more value across American society.

It's not like building a new school or fixing a bridge or anything, that's pretty much like just chucking the money into a hole in the ground and burning it.

Accuses opponent of being liberal

Extols the value of spending money for its own sake

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

So I'm afraid the LL 101 harvest isn't quite big enough for a Scalia dump yet. I'll need to give it a week.

Dude you were clean for several months,dont do this to yourself, also that other guy seems to be taking a peak into LL101. So there's some other goon taking up the mantle giving up their sanity.

Also people can care about multiple things people, just because the poo poo media stops reporting on it doesnt mean that efforts to fix the Boko Haram problem have stopped/dont exist.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Moxie posted:

Spending money is fine, so long as it goes to the white right people.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Moxie posted:

:thejoke:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
This post about a man "smuggling" powdered milk brought these lovely comments to my page:

"Guarantee you'll hear those people say,"oh, it won't happen here"
Little do they know.... it's where we are headed. "

"The little twits that support the dems don't even understand this."

The second one is from someone I do business with but apparently has no idea my political view and considers me a "little twit". Thanks!

And I am seeing SO MANY Scalia conspiracy posts, it would take me a while to compile them all. Seriously, the dude was 79, overweight and complained of not feeling well the day before. Not everything is :tinfoil: but anything to pull these people away from Hillary and the emails, I guess.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

This post about a man "smuggling" powdered milk brought these lovely comments to my page:

"Guarantee you'll hear those people say,"oh, it won't happen here"
Little do they know.... it's where we are headed. "

"The little twits that support the dems don't even understand this."

The second one is from someone I do business with but apparently has no idea my political view and considers me a "little twit". Thanks!

And I am seeing SO MANY Scalia conspiracy posts, it would take me a while to compile them all. Seriously, the dude was 79, overweight and complained of not feeling well the day before. Not everything is :tinfoil: but anything to pull these people away from Hillary and the emails, I guess.

Do you think it was the same assassin they used for Vince Foster?

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!
This was in response to a dumb President's Day post from a local radio guy.

Q: Which president in your lifetime was the best, the worst, and the ugliest?

A:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People that old shouldn't be on the internet.