Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every time I think I understand British culture, there's a whole nother dimension left that I don't understand left to figure out.

Yeah, that was really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I guess one more point that I've thought up... Knotty's punishment isn't so much about administering justice, as it is really about restoring order to the school. That Shauna was more of a model student implies the system must be harsher on her. A price must be paid and she had to be made an example of.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, that was really interesting.

The really odd thing is that the name for that kind of high, tight ponytail or bun changes depending on the class and wealth of the person wearing it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every time I think I understand British culture, there's a whole nother dimension left that I don't understand left to figure out.

They truly are an alien people. We may never fully understand their ways...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Class permeates English society: it's not much spoken about, or reflected on but it's very definitely there.

One thing I've noticed about the Wicke family is that they're now portrayed much more sympathetically than when they first appeared. In Scarygoround, they were comedy poor people, noisy, chaotic and shameless (The highlight being Shauna's mum appearing on the Jeremy Kyle show, attempting to get publicity by claiming Desmond Fishman is her hideously deformed son). By the time Allison started Bad Machinery, he'd obviously had a change of heart and his treatment of them is very noticeably different.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've always gotten the impression that Allison threw those characters in originally as a kind of joke on the lower class, and then felt guilty about it after and made Shauna's family 'real' characters. He's been kind of uneven on class issues in general to tell the truth, and it feels like something he's still kind of uncomfortable with.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A British person uncomfortable around class issues?? Surely not :mmmhmm:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fangz posted:

To be fair, the only subject we know Shauna is doing badly in is Religious Studies, and Uni will probably care more about her having a part time job.

Too bad Shauna introduced a lummox to her workplace who is all but certain to spill the beans about the robbery sooner or later. If this arc wasn't just about over I'd expect all that to blow up and for Shauna to lose yet another thing keeping her away from the reformed council of bitches.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Now he gets it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Wicke family just aren't good with money :(

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Wicke family just aren't good with money :(

Or has Shauna's mum just paid off Darren's debt?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Hey, that could be it!

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Do sleazy illegal loan sharks take credit cards?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yes, and then they steal your identity.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

That's the implication I got, especially with the "interest" comment.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The cruelest option is that they're unrelated--Darren got messed up with a loan shark, his mom got messed up with the credit industry. Legitimately, illegitimately, the poor get hosed by debt.

Although it might make a better ironic point that Daz has traded Sy Dixon for a bank and all that's changed is a slight drop in leg breaking.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Looks like you win.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

But they lose, since they have no realistic way to ever repay that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ugh the tangential glimpses of the Shauna tattoo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

But they lose, since they have no realistic way to ever repay that.

It's a large but hardly insurmountable amount of money owed to an institution that won't just name an arbitrarily higher balance every time you come back and rapemurder your family if you object.

Assuming Sy honors the agreement which, well, Darren's out of the picture and going to make his decisionmaking skills someone else's problem for a while so whatever.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 9, 2016

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It'll never happen but I would feel so vindicated by a page where Sy comes to collect and finds Dan looming over him menacingly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

He already collected. Also, Dan is fully aware that you don't mess with a loan shark. They can always hire bigger guys.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's a large but hardly insurmountable amount of money owed to an institution

To several institutions. She had to use five cards, each with their own interest rates. It's not £20K anymore, it's probably closer to 30K. No way they will be able to pay that back any time soon.

Maybe Amy will become rich and give royalties to Shauna for employing on her store someone with The Gift.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

He already collected. Also, Dan is fully aware that you don't mess with a loan shark. They can always hire bigger guys.

To several institutions. She had to use five cards, each with their own interest rates. It's not £20K anymore, it's probably closer to 30K. No way they will be able to pay that back any time soon.

Maybe Amy will become rich and give royalties to Shauna for employing on her store someone with The Gift.

It's a roughly comparable amount of debt to what say it'd take an American working-class family to send Shauna to college, it's a new car, it's a small traditional wedding, it's a down payment on a lovely house, it's a significant amount of money poor people go into hock for every day and pay off over the next decade or two without magical intervention with a somewhat shittier than average interest rate. They won't be sending Shauna's mom to debtor's prison and putting her children into slavery unto the fourth generation.

It's not like Sy's a regulated lending institution either he'd totally be coming back for more if Daz was still around, but he's the only one foolish and vulnerable enough to actually keep paying forever and think that's helping matters.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 9, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

20k is bad but it's not world ending for a family with two working parents, who, it seems like, own their own house.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Shauna gives no fucks anymore.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I think you can do something like balance transfer it all to one card, then never pay it off. You let the debt get sold to a collection agency. When the collection agency calls you offer to pay a fraction of the debt and they accept. I think I saw this on TV once.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That sounds like terrible financial advice.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, basically what I was alluding to. I'm just voicing the desire to see the bad guy get some comeuppance.

Maybe he'll end up in a wicker vole at some point.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

punchymcpunch posted:

I think you can do something like balance transfer it all to one card, then never pay it off. You let the debt get sold to a collection agency. When the collection agency calls you offer to pay a fraction of the debt and they accept. I think I saw this on TV once.

you could if you had really excellent credit to start with, and no longer care about having good credit. the whole point of five cards is that the wickles don't have amazing credit and nobody's just going to loan them $20k

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's a roughly comparable amount of debt to what say it'd take an American working-class family to send Shauna to college, it's a new car, it's a small traditional wedding, it's a down payment on a lovely house, it's a significant amount of money poor people go into hock for every day and pay off over the next decade or two without magical intervention with a somewhat shittier than average interest rate. They won't be sending Shauna's mom to debtor's prison and putting her children into slavery unto the fourth generation.

It's not like Sy's a regulated lending institution either he'd totally be coming back for more if Daz was still around, but he's the only one foolish and vulnerable enough to actually keep paying forever and think that's helping matters.

I suspect it wasn't a coincidence Shauna's mum met Sy in a pub - nice and public, with plenty of people to remember Sy telling things were all square. Twenty grand's a massive payday for Sy and far more than he'd ever get from Daz - and if Sy screws Shauna's mum over now, nobody will ever offer him that kind of money ever again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She said it was Sy's pub. He met Daz in the pub too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Taxman, the true villain in this story (and all others).

Also, Ryan spreading gossip about the queen of fighting who went to the dark side.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Bought Giant Days Vol. 1 yesterday. It is good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RIP Bostwick, just a few more hours and he would have been free.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

'Things are going to change'.

I guess the end is nigh for Bad Machinery, then. :ohdear:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
RIP Ryan's life as a responsible family man, probably

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yvonmukluk posted:

'Things are going to change'.

I guess the end is nigh for Bad Machinery, then. :ohdear:

A new series with Shauna and Blossom as a crime fighting duo perhaps? I dunno, what spare characters has Allison got waiting in the wings at this point?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you've been reading John A's Twitter you'd know that he's planning a spin-off on Erin taking over hell.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wouldn't say no to Robert Cop.

Really, whatever comes next, I'm going to be followin it. John Allison's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This page today feels more like a closure to the comic than any other so far. Will miss these kids.

• Locked thread