Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...didn't they just push back Blomkamp's to 2018 because Ridley wanted to go ahead and make Prometheus 2, and Fox didn't want to have two competing movies in the same franchise in the same year?

I heard "pre-production completely frozen, not officially axed but basically p. much dead" but I could be wrong v :shobon: v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lizardman posted:

Anyways, more back on topic, I forgot all about the Shane Black Predator movie. Apparently it has "The Predator" for a title?

Are you talking about Predator (1987)? Because that's the Shane Black predator movie. He was on set doing daily re-writes, and there's a fantastic bit on the 15 year special edition where he talks about how insane the shoot was, and how he kinda got roped into doing 10 hours of cardio a day by Carl Weathers, who wasn't gonna let Ah-nold show him up with bigger biceps. It's hilarious.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 16, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Everblight posted:

Are you talking about Predator (1987)? Because that's the Shane Black predator movie. He was on set doing daily re-writes, and there's a fantastic bit on the 15 year special edition where he talks about how insane the shoot was, and how he kinda got roped into doing 10 hours of cardio a day by Carl Weathers, who wasn't gonna let Ah-nold show him up with bigger biceps. It's hilarious.

Shane Black is developing a new Predator movie. They released a teaser poster for it today.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Shane Black is developing a new Predator movie. They released a teaser poster for it today.

holy poo poo I've never wanted something so much before. Also I don't know how hyperbole works.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

YOU DON'T
GET TO
BEHEAD
500 TROPHIES
WITHOUT MAKING
A FEW ENEMIES

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Did Dark Horse ever try making any comics about the new Robocop

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The brother of the original predator is back for revenge

Predator with a vengeance

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

oldpainless posted:

The brother of the original predator is back for revenge

Predator with a vengeance

This was the exact plot of Dark Horse's original Predator adaptation except it was Dutch's brother.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Dutch never talked about what happened on his last op.... except one time he got drunk in a bar and told everything "as a hypothetical" to his exact twin LAPD brother so when mobsters started turning up as dressed carcasses he knew what was up :eng101:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

What if the new predator is unveiled on screen and he's all fat? Like an obese predator who's always sitting down.

Opinions?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

What if the new predator is unveiled on screen and he's all fat? Like an obese predator who's always sitting down.

Opinions?

this already happened in AVP.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Opinions?

You just described AVP

Jesus that was such a toothless, dogshit movie. It was a movie where every line was delivered like the big line in a trailer.

"It is...a hunters moon."

"The enemy of my enemy is...my friend."

"I would like some cream...in my coffee."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love that Hunter's Moon exchange because it's so weird.

"La luna del cacciatore."

"Hmm........whas that?"

"Hauntars Mewn."

"Hunters moon?.."

"BWHAHAHAHA"

"AHAHAHAHA"

:confused: :confused::confused:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The enemy of my enemy is my friend exchange if one of the worst in all of movies. Like up there with sand and "Inspector Clay's dead, murdered...and someone's responsible!" and "Oh God oh man oh God oh man oh GOD OH MAN OH GAWD!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

oldpainless posted:

Opinions?

This brave and powerful warrior was able to slay a deadly lion in fair honourable combat, I see nothing wrong with fatpreds.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Predator 2 & Predators aren't near as bad as Alien Resurrection or the AVP films. I enjoyed Predators much more then the second one because it added some new stuff with a good concept. The dog things the Predators used were badass, the other captured aliens, the blood feud between the Predator tribes, etc. It could have been executed a little better along with a more polished script, but it was great nonetheless and a fine followup to Schwarzenegger's original. Shane Black involved with and directing the next one all but confirms that the Predator franchise won't go full retard like Alien Resurrection, which is a good thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: in 'Predators', the characters encounter another generic alien that the Predators have captured to hunt (and if I remember right, Lawrence Fishburne shoots it). That alien's design is based on the Predator's original design before Stan Winston overhauled it, but with a different head. I thought that was a fun Easter egg.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn't look anything like the original design.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Original Predator (lol)

Thing in Predators

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They were originally going to literally use the original Predator suit, but over time they changed the design up (partly for practical effects reasons). I still think it's pretty reminiscent of the old design, especially when you compare their entire bodies.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 17, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's really not.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: in 'Predators', the characters encounter another generic alien that the Predators have captured to hunt (and if I remember right, Lawrence Fishburne shoots it). That alien's design is based on the Predator's original design before Stan Winston overhauled it, but with a different head. I thought that was a fun Easter egg.

None of your posts are factual or fun.

Flat fact.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

It's really not.
I'm posting from the awful app so it's hard to post and link pictures, but aside from the different head and some tweaks to the chest, they're pretty similar. Look at some full-body photos of both designs.

I wish they'd used the original design wholesale and unmodified just for chuckles like they were originally going to, but oh well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

None of your posts are factual or fun.

Flat fact.
Your posts are just so precious. You're trying so hard... I just want to pinch your little cheeks. :kiddo:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 17, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Bitching about Xenomrph posting in an Alien thread is like buying tickets to a Phish concert, walking into the middle of the crowd and complaining loudly about there being a bunch of hippies around.

I'm really interested to see what sort of political undertones The Predator may have. What's so great about the original is that it's very Verhoeven-esque in the sense that you can turn your brain off and enjoy a big dumb action movie, or appreciate the extremely apparent satire in the story. It's really a better Viet Nam allegory than Aliens ever was, or more specifically, a takedown of the Viet Nam revisionist films that assumed America would have won if we just muscled a little harder.

Act one, a squad of macho badasses all reenact a condensed version of America's entry into Viet Nam, right down to being betrayed by the CIA's reasoning for fighting. They find the conventional forces and effortlessly wipe them out. Act two, the heavily-armed Americans are picked off by 'The Jungle.' They're systematically killed by an opponent they can't see or comprehend and repeatedly fail to conceive its tactics. Their heavy firepower is seemingly useless, only scoring a vague hit that they never see. Their only choice is to cut their losses and run.

Act three, the remaining American evacs the only friendly local in a helicopter. Goes full Col Kurtz, rejects his original fighting style, adapts the Predator's tactics as his own and turns the table. Rather than the mercenaries mowing the jungle down with machine gun fire at a cloaked Predator, this time the Predator is standing uncloaked and in the open, firing wildly into the trees at an invisible Dutch. Whe he finally beats it (with a booby trap, no less), their only exchange of dialogue is a confused repetition showing that they've basically become the same thing.

Predator is way too loving smart for a movie that features both Jesse Ventura and a hand-held mini gun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The mini-gun has a name

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

The mini-gun has a name

and it's waiting.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
From Xenopedia:

quote:

The River Ghost was initially conceived as a means to display the original, unused Predator design created for Predator by Boss Film Studios, although it was later decided to make the creature a completely original design.[2] Despite this change of direction, the creature still bears some similarities to the original Predator design, most notably in the appearance of its head and its digitigrade legs.

So both of you horrible nerds are kind of right, the end.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wild T posted:

Bitching about Xenomrph posting in an Alien thread is like buying tickets to a Phish concert, walking into the middle of the crowd and complaining loudly about there being a bunch of hippies around.

I'm really interested to see what sort of political undertones The Predator may have. What's so great about the original is that it's very Verhoeven-esque in the sense that you can turn your brain off and enjoy a big dumb action movie, or appreciate the extremely apparent satire in the story. It's really a better Viet Nam allegory than Aliens ever was, or more specifically, a takedown of the Viet Nam revisionist films that assumed America would have won if we just muscled a little harder.

Act one, a squad of macho badasses all reenact a condensed version of America's entry into Viet Nam, right down to being betrayed by the CIA's reasoning for fighting. They find the conventional forces and effortlessly wipe them out. Act two, the heavily-armed Americans are picked off by 'The Jungle.' They're systematically killed by an opponent they can't see or comprehend and repeatedly fail to conceive its tactics. Their heavy firepower is seemingly useless, only scoring a vague hit that they never see. Their only choice is to cut their losses and run.

Act three, the remaining American evacs the only friendly local in a helicopter. Goes full Col Kurtz, rejects his original fighting style, adapts the Predator's tactics as his own and turns the table. Rather than the mercenaries mowing the jungle down with machine gun fire at a cloaked Predator, this time the Predator is standing uncloaked and in the open, firing wildly into the trees at an invisible Dutch. Whe he finally beats it (with a booby trap, no less), their only exchange of dialogue is a confused repetition showing that they've basically become the same thing.

Predator is way too loving smart for a movie that features both Jesse Ventura and a hand-held mini gun.

It's also about emasculation, like really overtly. It's a bunch of hyper masculine dudes running around with giant murder-rections getting killed by a vagina faced monster against whom their weapon phallus' are useless. It even follows the rules of a horror movie. The two characters who seem the most interested in sex die first and the survivor is the smartest one.

It also quite deliberately breaks action movie rules. By action movie rules, everyone after Blain should have been able to kill the Predator by the rules of an action movie. Dillon is seeking redemption, Mac revenge, Poncho is wounded, Hawkins is the nerdy guy who should rise to the occasion and Billy throws aside all his weapons for a 'fair fight.' By the laws of action movies, every one of those guys should have had enough plot armour to at least get a good shot in. Yet the best any of them manage is a futile gesture. It's like a teen slasher movie where the nerd, jock, popular girl, etc got replaced by the big guy, the really big guy, the massive guy and Sonny Landham.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harime Nui posted:

From Xenopedia:

So both of you horrible nerds are kind of right, the end.

Cool.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
u no ilu bb

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ell-osde' pauk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Ell-osde' pauk
I feel bad that I know what that is (it's Predator-speak for something) but I feel good that I don't remember what it means.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it means gently caress you! :v:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
What does "drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" mean? The Predator says that a lot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe it translates roughly to "Hello from the other side."

Predators are big Adele fans.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I reinstalled AvP2 a few years back, installed some fan patches and went online to do some shooting get instagibbed by invisible pred players' discs. I somehow ended up on a server that was just three pred players sitting around doing really awkward roleplaying by themselves. I ended up just standing around hitting the taunt key, which caused the predator to roar loudly, and repeating everything they said back to them in garbled text. They started getting pissed and saying things like "Wild T this is a roleplay server" and got nothing back but "CLICKCLICKCLICK ROWAL PLUUUY SAAARVVVER CLICKCLACKSNARL" and more incessant roaring until I was eventually kicked.

I chalk the failure of the most recent Rebellion AvP FPS largely up to the fact that they didn't let Predator players hit a button to record and play back other players' voice chat to taunt them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
At least Aliens is a franchise that actually has a good mixture of good video games to poo poo. Alien:Isolation was better than it had any right to be, but there were quite a bit of things about it that really pissed me off. Alien Vs Predator the new one was really good in the Marine campaign, but the other campaigns quickly turned into repetitive poo poo. I really wouldn't mind if Rebellion got a chance to do a Colonial Marines FPS, but that will probably never happen.

Also, the DS game was bland as all hell and I never finished it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Aliens as a game franchise hit the same snag Star Wars did very early on in their lifespans where no one has done anything unique or interesting with the IP, but instead use it as a pre-packaged setting to put your already designed product in. Isolation comes the closest to actually replicating the source material but it's still just a slightly tweaked Amnesia-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lady Naga posted:

Aliens as a game franchise hit the same snag Star Wars did very early on in their lifespans where no one has done anything unique or interesting with the IP, but instead use it as a pre-packaged setting to put your already designed product in. Isolation comes the closest to actually replicating the source material but it's still just a slightly tweaked Amnesia-like.

The original AvP on computer was really unique for its time. But I do agree with you on most of the other games.