Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Is Anna Nicole still dead, Wolf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

CuwiKhons posted:

What part of being elected directly wouldn't involve partisan politics? Potential justices would have to give their opinions on poo poo in order to get elected and then bam, people vote on party lines. And guess what? Campaigning costs money and justices would have to campaign in order to get their name out there. Where does that money come from? Hint, it's donated by people who want that justice to vote favorably on their poo poo. Which is exactly what happens right now with elected judges at the state level. Elected judges are the loving worst.

Well, yes, if you have an electoral system for judges you do away with one element of judicial independence. It comes from a different school of thought, namely that government should be fully democratic. I'm not entirely sure which is right, but I tend to err on the side of judicial independence which is why I support appointment by a judicial board as my preferred system. That said, if you do go the democratic route you don't have to have a system that mirrors partisan elections and could, for example, have the public confirm or reject judicial nominees rather than the Senate, and even introduce additional measures to shield it from partisan interference like having the nominees introduced by an independent judicial board.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There is still no way someone gets confirmed...

Almost certainly not, but if they hold hearings and can't find anything disqualifying it becomes even more politically damaging to deny the nominee.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

evilweasel posted:

Almost certainly not, but if they hold hearings and can't find anything disqualifying it becomes even more politically damaging to deny the nominee.

Too whom? Seriously what non partisans really care? This tactic is par for course for the republicans and no one will be surprised.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

Too whom? Seriously what non partisans really care? This tactic is par for course for the republicans and no one will be surprised.

It's precisely the non-partisans who will be most susceptible to "why isn't this nominee getting a vote if there's nothing wrong with them?" and it will continue to come up every time the court issues a 4-4 decision, and when Hillary or Sanders repeatedly references it as an ongoing issue in the election.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

It's precisely the non-partisans who will be most susceptible to "why isn't this nominee getting a vote if there's nothing wrong with them?" and it will continue to come up every time the court issues a 4-4 decision, and when Hillary or Sanders repeatedly references it as an ongoing issue in the election.

I hope you're right but I don't think enough people pay attention. The GOP has been nothing but rewarded for their extremism when it comes to obstruction of nominees.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I hope you're right but I don't think enough people pay attention. The GOP has been nothing but rewarded for their extremism when it comes to obstruction of nominees.

Yeah, but the Supreme Court is the one nominee regular people actually know about and care about even a little bit. Even most lawyers can't really work up much caring over appeals court nominations, despite how important those are (and despite that Roberts keeps castigating the Senate over the vacancies caused by the slowed nominations). I mean it could easily not make a difference but if it's got a chance of making a difference hearings can only help.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
This whole situation is so hilarious whenever you read comments from people on the left - especially on reddit.

Tons of fake moral outrage along the lines of "b-but it's the JOB of the PRESIDENT to nominate a new justice!! how dare these evil republicans try to prevent this!" or "they confirmed sotomayor and kagan, why wouldn't they confirm this one?!?! treason!!"

And everyone disingenuously pretends to not know why the conservatives are not going to simply let Bamma stack the court with another liberal rubber stamp, replacing the previously conservative rubber stamp.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oswald ownenstein posted:

This whole situation is so hilarious whenever you read comments from people on the left - especially on reddit.

Tons of fake moral outrage along the lines of "b-but it's the JOB of the PRESIDENT to nominate a new justice!! how dare these evil republicans try to prevent this!" or "they confirmed sotomayor and kagan, why wouldn't they confirm this one?!?! treason!!"

And everyone disingenuously pretends to not know why the conservatives are not going to simply let Bamma stack the court with another liberal rubber stamp, replacing the previously conservative rubber stamp.

I mean this is still a hijacking of american democracy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thug Lessons posted:

appointment by a judicial board

How do you propose that the judicial board be selected?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

We know why, it's just an illegitimate reason.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

How do you propose that the judicial board be selected?

Either by the members of the board, by a separate independent recruitment commission, or some combination of the two. If I was actually trying to design such a system instead of spitballing on the internet I'd look at the countries around the world that use these type of systems and see which work best.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Obama has ceased giving fucks:

quote:

An exasperated Obama lamented how the opposition to a future nominee is just the latest example of the gridlock in Senate, particularly when it comes to nominations. “We’ve almost gotten accustomed to how obstructionist the Senate has become," he said.
He promised to nominate someone who is well-qualified and transcends partisan politics. However, he delivered a flat "no" when asked if that meant the person would be a moderate.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/obama-supreme-court-nominee-219345

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

Either by the members of the board, by a separate independent recruitment commission, or some combination of the two. If I was actually trying to design such a system instead of spitballing on the internet I'd look at the countries around the world that use these type of systems and see which work best.

How would you appoint the members of the independent recruitment commission then?

Is it independent commissions all the way down?

Supreme Court nominees are picked by a judicial board which is selected by an independent recruitment commission which is presumably appointed by a separate independent recruitment board to recruit the recruitment board, and so on?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Please nominate Oprah.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

vyelkin posted:

How would you appoint the members of the independent recruitment commission then?

Is it independent commissions all the way down?

Supreme Court nominees are picked by a judicial board which is selected by an independent recruitment commission which is presumably appointed by a separate independent recruitment board to recruit the recruitment board, and so on?

No, the initial recruitment process would probably involve inviting representatives of the American Bar Association, National Lawyers Guild, state bar associations, sitting judges, prominent legal scholars, and other qualified parties. That would seed the commission (and the recruitment committee if it existed) and from there it'd follow a set procedure.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 17, 2016

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Thug Lessons posted:

No, the initial recruitment process would probably involve inviting representatives of the American Bar Association, National Lawyers Guild, state bar associations, sitting judges, prominent legal scholars, and other qualified parties.

I thought you said you wanted a more democratic process.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

foot posted:

I thought you said you wanted a more democratic process.

Sort of. I said that I thought a system with more democratic input would be better than leaving it entirely to politicians as it is in the current system, but also that an independent judicial board would be my preferred system.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Subjunctive posted:

The next election isn't even underway! They haven't even chosen the candidates!

Primaries are in fact part of the election and once people start winning delegates yes, the election is fully underway. The election doesn't start once the two major parties finalize their choices for president.

Thug Lessons posted:

That's supposition but were it the case I'd chalk it up to the American public's love affair with nightmare retributive justice rather than something inherent to judicial elections.

There's a reason other first world countries don't leave their highest authorities of legal interpretations up to popular vote. It's not because you're some sort of enlightened guy, it's because you're an idiot and so is the average voter. The GOP on their best(?) day of obstructionism is still going to give Obama's nominee more critical thought than the average voter.

You're sitting there and arguing in all seriousness that the SCOTUS being an elected position wouldn't suffer the same corruption and influencing that state supreme courts and other elected judges encounter constantly. If you truly believe this then you're the perfect example of why your idea is terrible.

Hail to the king.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thug Lessons posted:

Sort of. I said that I thought a system with more democratic input would be better than leaving it entirely to politicians as it is in the current system, but also that an independent judicial board would be my preferred system.

Politicians' behaviour is a symptom of the behaviour of the electorate, not the cause. Direct election of judges basically hands control of the judiciary to USA Today and FOX News.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 17, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thug Lessons posted:

So you would have the pool of candidates limited by an unelected council of experts or something?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

quote:

“I think what’s fair to say is that how judicial nominations have evolved over time is not historically the fault of any single party,” he said. But he was sure to throw in, “What is also true is Justice Alito is on the bench right now.”

Alito’s unexpected death at the age of 79 has injected a new dimension into the 2016 race, and has broken open a fresh feud between Obama and Congress.

God DAMNIT politico why must you make typos like this. For a split second I dared to dream.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think these are entirely comparable because the Supreme Court's most prominent role is to decide what are essentially issues of policy and legislation, so they can't just run on law and order, lock 'em up messages like trial judges. Anyway what I'd prefer would be to have an independent judicial commission appoint justices like they do in the UK, (where it hasn't produced an Orwellian nightmare like people seem to assume it would), but in the specific case of the Supreme Court I'd say that democratic input would be superior to the current system where the Court's composition is determined by partisan politics and happenstance.

The UK has parliamentary sovereignty and the judiciary can't strike down primary legislation. It's quite a bit easier to take politics out of judicial appointments when the political inclinations of justices are mostly inconsequential and they have much less to be accountable for.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

We know why, it's just an illegitimate reason.

It's really not and to pretend that it would be otherwise with an R in the white house and a D controlled senate is inane. Like Ginsburgh dying and about to be replaced by Trump with a conservative justice? Come on.

Schumer was running his mouth about doing this with conservatives replacing conservatives iirc. Two liberals replacing two liberals was approved under Obama np.

If the left thinks they're gonna get to replace a con with a lib....just lol..not while the senate is R controlled.

In fact there isn't actually a mandate for the number of justices anyway, is there?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

In fact there isn't actually a mandate for the number of justices anyway, is there?

The Supreme Court of the United States shall consist of a Chief Justice of the United States and eight associate justices, any six of whom shall constitute a quorum.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 17, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's really not and to pretend that it would be otherwise with an R in the white house and a D controlled senate is inane. Like Ginsburgh dying and about to be replaced by Trump with a conservative justice? Come on.

Schumer was running his mouth about doing this with conservatives replacing conservatives iirc. Two liberals replacing two liberals was approved under Obama np.

If the left thinks they're gonna get to replace a con with a lib....just lol..not while the senate is R controlled.

And yet when push came to shove the Dems still voted to confirm Bush's lovely choices. Except Harriet Miers who had bi-partisan opposition because everyone was horrified at how bad a pick she was.

Even creepy Clarance was confirmed. The GOP debate made the GOP's argument really clear. If Obama appoints someone it won't be an arch conservative monster like Scalia and as such it puts the War on Women, Gays, and Minorities in jeopardy.

E: If the GOP was smart they'd welcome that because once the courts can't be used as a tool for those actions it lets them start pandering to groups they currently neglect yet will need if they want to stay in power as demographics keep changing.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 17, 2016

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Bryter posted:

The UK has parliamentary sovereignty and the judiciary can't strike down primary legislation. It's quite a bit easier to take politics out of judicial appointments when the political inclinations of justices are mostly inconsequential and they have much less to be accountable for.

If you want an example of a court that has the full power of judicial review as well as appointment by an independent commission, there's Norway.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

And yet when push came to shove the Dems still voted to confirm Bush's lovely choices. Except Harriet Miers who had bi-partisan opposition because everyone was horrified at how bad a pick she was.

Yes they confirmed Bush appointing a couple of conservative-ish people to replace conservative-ish people. Big concession. Obama didn't even have to fight to get his two liberal rubber stamps in because they were replacing other liberal rubber stamps.

This is an entirely different situation and everyone knows it but not everyone is being honest about it - which is weird because mewling about it with some false moral highground isn't going to change anything. Reminds me of that Bill Burr bit on Conan about Lance Armstrong and the guy with the jowels saying "this is reprehensible!!"

I'm glad the side I mostly align with won the senate, and I'll happily support the senate blocking any liberal appointee for as long as they have power - even into 2017 if Bernie or Hilldawg wins.

No amount of bitching about obstructionism will change that because I'm not an idiot and I know what adding another liberal justice to the SC will mean down the road.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 17, 2016

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a reason other first world countries don't leave their highest authorities of legal interpretations up to popular vote. It's not because you're some sort of enlightened guy, it's because you're an idiot and so is the average voter. The GOP on their best(?) day of obstructionism is still going to give Obama's nominee more critical thought than the average voter.

You're sitting there and arguing in all seriousness that the SCOTUS being an elected position wouldn't suffer the same corruption and influencing that state supreme courts and other elected judges encounter constantly. If you truly believe this then you're the perfect example of why your idea is terrible.

Yes, if you're not particularly fond of democracy and believe rule by elites is preferable, you aren't going to want election of Supreme Court justices. I don't share that view.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Evil Fluffy posted:

Primaries are in fact part of the election and once people start winning delegates yes, the election is fully underway. The election doesn't start once the two major parties finalize their choices for president.

What aspect of the US electoral mechanics mention the primaries of those two parties? I'm non-American, I thought it was just an internal party choice. If a party decided to run its primary 2 years before the election, would that make it an election year?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thug Lessons posted:

Yes, if you're not particularly fond of democracy and believe rule by elites is preferable, you aren't going to want election of Supreme Court justices. I don't share that view.

Elites like the bar association?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

So you would have the pool of candidates limited by an unelected council of experts or something?

Yes, or not even really have candidates at all and have the board appoint judges directly. If it's not working out, the public can exercise control by passing a law that changes the appointment system. Such a system would only really work in an environment where people had confidence in jurists to make the right decision and believed in judicial independence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The bar association is garbage and judicial independence is a fiction. They would probably be less political if you elected them but I don't know why you would want "non political" judges. They don't exist. Politics infuses us all and the law.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Elites like the bar association?

Yeah, I actually think that's a case where it's appropriate. I see the judicial system as sort of like a scientific or technical community - you want the people who are the smartest, most knowledgeable and most competent in charge. I see them less as an elite than experts. Barring that, I'd like to see a democratic system where the people who are going to be determining American law are only installed with the explicit consent of the American people. The current system, where the Court's makeup is determined by politicians that seize on acts of fate like justices randomly dying to exert their political will, is in my view the worst.

As an aside, even if you're committed to keeping the current system, one really simple thing you could do to make this less of an issue would be to give the justices fixed terms and/or fixed retirement ages, hopefully coinciding with election schedules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say direct election of judges would be the worst personally but I suppose a public veto would be tolerable. As would perhaps fixed terms.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Radish posted:

Well I bet she knows Scalia now that he's history.

motherfucking touchdown

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

No amount of bitching about obstructionism will change that because I'm not an idiot and I know what adding another liberal justice to the SC will mean down the road.

I think the hilarious part is that an overwhelming number (12 out of 16) of justices since 1970 were appointed by Republican presidents. To complain about this being unfair is dumb as gently caress. The country voted in Republicans; Republicans got to appoint justices. The country votes in a Democrat; he's not allowed to appoint a justice. If this is about numbers, Reagan got three and Nixon got four. HW got two in a single term.

I mean, sure, several of the GOP appointees turned out to be more liberally oriented but that certainly wasn't the intention of the nominations. Why should the Dems be punished for Republican incompetency? And why should Republican incompetency be allowed to obstruct a constitutional process?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I would say direct election of judges would be the worst personally but I suppose a public veto would be tolerable. As would perhaps fixed terms.

When I talk about democratic control a public veto is what I have in mind. I'd be open to other proposals however.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The conservatives who are trying to claim that the reason for blocking this for 11+ months is anything but political are similarly disingenuous. You're right that if the tables were turned the Dems might try the same thing but let's not pretend that both sides aren't crafting a message to fit their preferred political narrative. It might end up being a wise decision to block the nominee if the Republicans win but if they don't you're hosed. Refusing to vote on a nominee for 11 months is already unprecedented, trying to block a nominee for the entirety of the next presidency simply isn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

evilweasel posted:

So you argue that this time will be different? It will not be.

• Locked thread