Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

Have any of you ever had any problems with stores or people flipping out over proxy use in casual play like EDH? I'm not even talking about Chinese fakes, I mean obvious stuff like printed proxies or Champion Edition or Worlds cards?

Some people get annoyed if the EDH deck is proxying blatantly powerful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A big flaming stink posted:

I've never understood that about gold border cards, it's not like they're ultra cheap. Tropical Island is still $80.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Some people need to chill the hell out and have some fun.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
WOTC semi-officially acknowledges Vendor Gate:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/update-2016-02-16

quote:

But what about those other rumors, the more insidious ones? Please rest assured we have a lot of people working very hard to address some of the more concerning ones. We take all of this very seriously and will address what we can. Look for a statement on this very website soon.​

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Some people need to chill the hell out and have some fun.

Competitive Elder Dragon Highlander

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Coming soon: TrickMTG post on reddit about how vendors ruin Magic. Followed by a better post by Helene Bergeot that clarifies the role that vendors play, what information they are given, and how much attention they pay to the secondary market.

Joke option: "gently caress the reserve list, we're keeping all cards in print with a special xpac symbol, you can order through someone competent with online, they're affiliated with us though"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I get my proxies from this binder right here.

http://youtu.be/yIr7dXjnrYE

gimme that binder and a proxy Transmute Artifact then

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

This typically happens when people are building EDH decks on a limited budget / using the community average budget to limit the power of their decks, but yeah typically people do not give a poo poo about proxies if you're testing or playing casual. Any time you're playing casual magic there is always a level of chill required and you kind of need to either drop down to the power level that other people are playing on (borrow a deck or build something more budget / theme oriented and less hardcore spike), or find a way to lift them up to your level (donations, allow and encourage proxies, or build a bunch of powerful decks that you loan, etc).

I used to get super annoyed when my buddy had a proxy playset of noble hierarchs in his otherwise non-proxy casual deck, but that was only because every loving time he cast one he would start talking about how expensive they are in I think an effort to justify to himself why he was proxying. Meanwhile I had plenty of expensive decks at the time but was frequently playing EHD with him with a deck that was like 80% black and white printouts so I really didn't give a poo poo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I get my proxies from this binder right here.

http://youtu.be/yIr7dXjnrYE

who the gently caress proxies Delver of Secrets

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I should get one of those four-across binders.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Everblight posted:

who the gently caress proxies Delver of Secrets

Seriously the list is weird. It's like they just pulled a list of popular legacy and vintage cards and had no idea about the game at all. But they stay in the binder to keep them away from the rest of my cards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

I would argue that fake Magic cards are still easier to get than drugs.

You underestimate just how bad the modo client is.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

odiv posted:

It seriously looks so good. Even framing the middle card with two playsets in a normal 9-card binder doesnt' even come close.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

odiv posted:

They are only like 25 bucks on Amazon right now. I keep all my playsets of modern and legacy stuff in them, it makes it easy to see what's missing or what I need to buy to finish it out. Very useful. I have 3 full binders now, need to buy some more,

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Which 4-across binders do people here like? I got the BCW 4x4 one which is huge but has a zipper, but there'a also the FOUR and the ultrapro one which folds up weird

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

gwrtheyrn posted:

Which 4-across binders do people here like? I got the BCW 4x4 one which is huge but has a zipper, but there'a also the FOUR and the ultrapro one which folds up weird

I have the FOUR 2.0.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

we've had to say no proxies in our EDH league because we sanction it as a casual event (gold border cards still allowed) but other than that no

Pretty sure sanctioning an event where gold bordered cards are legal is still a no-no so you might as well just let dudes use fakes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

I specced hard on ludes and it paid off, big time.

Bill Cosby plays magic?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
#letbillplay

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If Bill Cosby played magic, it would be rug delver

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
direct acknowledgement

quote:

We're aware of the rumors that an individual is in possession of the card list for Eternal Masters. If true, this is obviously a situation we take extremely seriously. We want to ensure that the entire Magic community knows that we DO NOT provide preferential treatment to any card vendor, distributor, or retailer; nor do we disclose detailed card set information prior to preview season.

Once we finish our investigation, we will assess what, if any, steps are needed to ensure fairness for the community.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
So which region is going to lose their entire judging community organization over this new poo poo show?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

keeblerdrow posted:

So which region is going to lose their entire judging community organization over this new poo poo show?

If it's a vendor, it's more likely that some store would be losing their WPN affiliation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

If it's a vendor, it's more likely that some store would be losing their WPN affiliation.

So which region is going to lose WPN stores?

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So which region is going to lose WPN stores?

Probably USA.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If a store gets canned for leaking it then doesn't that basically confirm that vendors have massive amounts of inside info, which people were saying would be bad optics?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They do have massive amounts of inside info but it's not like wotc is going to come out and say "oh yeah we collude with vendors lmao eat my rear end players"

well actually they probably could but they have no reason to

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I think the most common story is that WotC as a company is innocent but people inside WotC have friends outside WotC.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Would the company as a whole benefit from collusion with vendors?

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

American imperialist greed is destroying our pure & innocent children's card game.
I hope that Wizards, or perhaps the UN, has the fortitude to step in and do what is necessary to salvage our game for the global community.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I still think it's an employee. Since an employee who would do that is a dumbass, it's probably a D&D staffer. This might be a good opportunity to get rid of Mike Mearls.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 17, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

I think the most common story is that WotC as a company is innocent but people inside WotC have friends outside WotC.

Well yes this is obviously the case but pedantically typing "people inside of wotc" every time instead of just wotc when people can figure it out for themselves seems a bit goofy.

edit: Obviously considering this means you're talking to magic players you do have to be pedantically specific but I just like to give them the rope to hang themselves with instead of stooping to that level

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
All I'm gonna say is that the reserve list was made during the Clinton administration. Trump 2016 - Make Legacy Great Again!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

sounds like a good RICO case

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
konami was printing extras of money yugioh cards because htey're greed af so never put it past a company to just be dumb

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

born on a buy you posted:

konami was printing extras of money yugioh cards because htey're greed af so never put it past a company to just be dumb

Wasn't that Upper Deck?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Would the company as a whole benefit from collusion with vendors?

Sort of. Vendors crack packs for singles and the biggest ones host events that make up the majority of all big events played.

The success of WOTC has a direct correlation to the success of vendors. They have a vested interest in seeing them prosper.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I thought that was UDE. Did Yugioh have two scandals in which the companies distributing cards were also counterfeiting?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wotc has a history of being too loving cheap and shortsighted to invest in stuff that would make them more money so I don't think it's unfair to assume they would do anything shortsightedly greedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
oh yeah was UDE not konami.

• Locked thread