Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

"Why are my kids so violent and using bad words? I don't understand where they could have learned that stuff. Must be TV."

I fully expect them to make it to TV within the decade in the capacity of "OUR BOY WAS REALLY GOOD, HE WENT TO CHURCH AND I CAN'T BELIEVE HE GOT SHOT! WE HAVE TO STAND UP AGAINST VIOLENCE!" demographic. Sadly, the media never interviews the extended family to get the real story on what a poo poo heel the parents were and the trickle down thinking they had on their kids.

edit:

BloodBag posted:

Welp, FUCK2016 is official for me. My Wife got a call from her Aunt on her birthday. The police entered my FIL's house and found him deceased. He lived alone in CA. We are both in shock, he was so fit and really quirky. What do I do now? I've never had to deal with losing a parent. Will we have to go out there I guess? Any help figuring out what to do would be appreciated. :negative: This sucks, he was so cool.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

What you do really depends on how close/distant your family was to him and what sort of cool people/assholes you have in your family that are either looking out for everyone's possible interest or their own. In any case, it's difficult losing someone who you were close with.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Everyones too scared to take the last spot with a lil snow in it. Dude left like 10 feet between him and the curb. BEEP BEEP MAKE WAY SIDEWAYS PARKER.

Trigger warning, jesus.

I do not miss that poo poo whatsoever.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

leica posted:

Trigger warning, jesus.

We've actually had a pretty mild winter so far. Excuse the silly image, but most of our winter has looked like this. This was 7 days ago:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BloodBag posted:

Welp, FUCK2016 is official for me. My Wife got a call from her Aunt on her birthday. The police entered my FIL's house and found him deceased. He lived alone in CA. We are both in shock, he was so fit and really quirky. What do I do now? I've never had to deal with losing a parent. Will we have to go out there I guess? Any help figuring out what to do would be appreciated. :negative: This sucks, he was so cool.

Sorry man. I would suggest taking a breath and try to relax. The next week's and couple of months are going to be difficult. First, I would notify any relatives that your aunt hasn't already notified. You'll want to find out if he had a will. It will be easier if he did. If your relatives sucks, you may have to go and grab anything that's not nailed down.

Notify your work what's going on and be prepared to take some time off of work. There's not a lot you can do today but there will be plenty of things to do in the upcoming week. I'd start looking at flights or ways to get out there in the next few days.

Go out to dinner tonight with your wife. I find out best not to sit around and mope.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

leica posted:

Trigger warning, jesus.

But man, wouldn't you miss the SEASONS???

...is the reasoning I get when I tell people there is nothing redeeming for me about winter anymore. That is like saying if you have 4 wives and you spend 1/4 of the year with each of them. 1 of them is amazing, 2 are pretty good, and 1 is godawful. Do you miss the godawful one when she's gone simply because she is a change of pace? Hell no, you do everything you can to sever.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Snow is nbd

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cage posted:

Snow is nbd

This. I got to work on time today and was the only one in the office for 30 minutes. I swear everyone just uses the precipitation as an excuse to sleep in some days.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

mariooncrack posted:

Sorry man. I would suggest taking a breath and try to relax. The next week's and couple of months are going to be difficult. First, I would notify any relatives that your aunt hasn't already notified. You'll want to find out if he had a will. It will be easier if he did. If your relatives sucks, you may have to go and grab anything that's not nailed down.

Notify your work what's going on and be prepared to take some time off of work. There's not a lot you can do today but there will be plenty of things to do in the upcoming week. I'd start looking at flights or ways to get out there in the next few days.

Go out to dinner tonight with your wife. I find out best not to sit around and mope.

Thanks man :) I just got off the phone with the coroner. Apparently he was in an advanced state of decomposition and the parcel on his doorstep was post dated November. My aunt was right to suspect something was wrong. He was always kinda come & go with phone calls and where he lives seems kindof remote, so I guess phone service is spotty. Door was locked so no foul play suspected. We'll be flying out Thursday to take possession of stuff and search the place for a will. The police said they found none. I wonder if I need to buy a respirator, I can't imagine what 5 months of a decomposing person will do, but I'm sure I've seen awful stuff on the internet about it.

The coroner said the state can take care of the estate for 5% and at this point we're ready to take them up on it. I don't have the means to call servpro and disaster recover a dead body house. I also hope my wife's estranged sister doesn't come out of the woodwork with her hand out (drug addict/thief/HIV positive). I'll set aside 50% on the off chance she makes an appearance. Hopefully the home isn't in foreclosure by now, 5 months is a long time...

I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for this, but I'm going through the motions. I feel like I'm on an episode of CSI or some poo poo.

We're going to pack running clothes and do a 'Run for Dad' up there :unsmith:

E: I guess the last time we saw each other was over breakfast at Le Peep. If he's got a nice car, that poo poo's getting transported here. He used to have a Yukon back in the day...

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 16, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Snow is a joke. Negative high temperatures for weeks at a time is not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BloodBag posted:

The coroner said the state can take care of the estate for 5% and at this point we're ready to take them up on it. I don't have the means to call servpro and disaster recover a dead body house. I also hope my wife's estranged sister doesn't come out of the woodwork with her hand out (drug addict/thief/HIV positive). I'll set aside 50% on the off chance she makes an appearance. Hopefully the home isn't in foreclosure by now, 5 months is a long time...

I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for this, but I'm going through the motions. I feel like I'm on an episode of CSI or some poo poo.

E: I guess the last time we saw each other was over breakfast at Le Peep. If he's got a nice car, that poo poo's getting transported here. He used to have a Yukon back in the day...

Wow, BloodBag, that's a lot of poo poo to sort through at once. My only advice is to be prepared for things you're not expecting. Good luck with all of that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Snow is fun to drive in and not that big a deal if the snowblower I bodged together would just work right. We have snow tires though so so far, we've just driven over it. Problem solved.

Once I build a shop (we've seriously discussed what specs it needs, etc... this is probably happening in the next 2 years or so) I simply won't give a gently caress whether it snows here or not.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If there is a crackhead sister involved (she will have to be notifed, so you can't avoid that issue), you want a lawyer if there are any valuble assets.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

nm posted:

If there is a crackhead sister involved (she will have to be notifed, so you can't avoid that issue), you want a lawyer if there are any valuble assets.

I will def. have a lawyer involved. My wife tells me he has an oil property in Louisiana and he's been sitting pretty for a while now. I hope his brothers don't find out either. I really don't want to deal with 5 lawsuits all at once. Why did he have to not have a will? I hope braving that house with some tissue in my nose will yield something. I'm going to hope for the best and plan for the worst. The best = Me being an oil tycoon and peering over my monocle at all you plebs. Quite.:monocle:

Is it cold in the mountains outside L.A. This time of year?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Stop at a Home Depot when you land and pick up a $30 respirator on your way. Cheap insurance.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Shampoo posted:

I swear everyone just uses the precipitation as an excuse to sleep in some days.

As a person living in VA that used to live in MI, I do this.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If he had actual real assets and no will, you're going to be in for a lovely legal battle for the next 8-10 years, especially if there's shady relatives with similar claims as yours.

My next door neighbor died a few years back and went unnoticed for 8 days. My wife and I wondered what 'that smell' was coming from his sealed up house, making increasingly morbid "jokes" about Charles having carked it (he was only 52 and in fine health so it was just jokes... at the beginning) -- But when the EMTs showed up and opened up his front door during their response call, we had a very strong understanding of what that smell we'd been picking up was. Hoo boy..

Good luck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Safety Dance posted:

Stop at a Home Depot when you land and pick up a $30 respirator on your way. Cheap insurance.

Agreed. Great for cleaning out college dorm/bachelor-operated refrigerators, too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Finally getting some good news for the year - found a permanent aged care place for my dad, and it's at the same place where he's currently in for temporary care. So it means he won't have to be moved around to a different facility :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BloodBag posted:

I will def. have a lawyer involved. My wife tells me he has an oil property in Louisiana and he's been sitting pretty for a while now. I hope his brothers don't find out either. I really don't want to deal with 5 lawsuits all at once. Why did he have to not have a will? I hope braving that house with some tissue in my nose will yield something. I'm going to hope for the best and plan for the worst. The best = Me being an oil tycoon and peering over my monocle at all you plebs. Quite.:monocle:

Is it cold in the mountains outside L.A. This time of year?

Like where? Big bear? Yeah, there's snow.
Also, if I remember my wills and trusts class (i don't) basically all parties need to be notified or there may be an issue later. Talk to a lawyer who does this, because unless you killed him or accused of doing so, I'm not qualified to help here.

Also he might have a will. Many people don't store that stuff at home. Check lawyers and safe deposits.

Let this be a reminder to make a will (with a lawyer) if you have assets or kids and ffs let someone know where it is (lawyer's office or safe deposit box).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Holy poo poo im busy but its cool cause im cam newton just gonna superman into this endzone real fast

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

nm posted:

Like where? Big bear? Yeah, there's snow.
Also, if I remember my wills and trusts class (i don't) basically all parties need to be notified or there may be an issue later. Talk to a lawyer who does this, because unless you killed him or accused of doing so, I'm not qualified to help here.

Also he might have a will. Many people don't store that stuff at home. Check lawyers and safe deposits.

Let this be a reminder to make a will (with a lawyer) if you have assets or kids and ffs let someone know where it is (lawyer's office or safe deposit box).

My wife says it's super not like him to not have a will. She suspects there will be a safe deposit box with that in it. He kept a p.o. box for his mail always. I don't even know what his address is! He lives in someplace called running springs, ca, I think. I'm thinking of doing an airbnb out there instead of staying in San Bernadino. That road out to there looks awesome though. Just look at it! Not even the twistiest roads in TX look close to that! I'm sure the rental corolla's gonna come back with tires looking like Falken Azenis on a spec miata :v:

He visited us a while back to make sure we understood what his patent means so we could 'carry on' his work. I didn't really clue into the way he was talking until today. My wife says if he had something terminal, there was no way he would have shared it with her. He seemed like he was holding something really important back, in retrospect. :shrug:

I'm just here to do logistics and be supportive for now. I'll mourn in my own time. All of this just feels so surreal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Be ready for snow. Check for chain restrictions. 330 will probably be pretty slow in the winter. Recommend an awd car so you can avoid chain control. You probably want to stay up the hill, but if you stay down in the valley, redlands is the only place there that doesn't suck.
Also the Old Country Coffee Shop in running springs has a decent breakfast.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 17, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

nm posted:

Be ready for snow. Check for chain restrictions. 330 will probably be pretty slow in the winter. Recommend an awd car so you can avoid chain control.
Also the Old Country Coffee Shop has a decent breakfast.

Thanks. My wife has celiac disease so finding breakfast that's just meat or eggs and fruit would be nice. Maybe that Saturday we can go explore LA. I haven't been to California in 17 years and I loved it when I lived there (VAFB/Lompoc/Santa Maria). If I live to retirement, it's either Arroyo Grande or Belize, for the places I want to retire. I love the Central Coast.

I rented a Focus. Weather looks to be in the mid 60°s. I haven't owned snow specific clothing since 1993, so I guess I'm hosed. Pack a wool peacoat? That's all I've got. Houston's like...Satan's sweaty taint hot most days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My favorite idiot local car guy bout an '05 RX-8 automatic against everyone's advice last week and today the transmission grenaded on him and I just can't stop laughing my rear end off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm calling bullshit right now. There's no way the transmission died before the engine.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kastein posted:

I'm calling bullshit right now. There's no way the transmission died before the engine.

:agreed:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

Finally getting some good news for the year - found a permanent aged care place for my dad, and it's at the same place where he's currently in for temporary care. So it means he won't have to be moved around to a different facility :)

Glad to hear that's working out for you. It's getting time for my mother in law to do the same and we're not looking forward to it.

BloodBag posted:

I'll mourn in my own time. All of this just feels so surreal.

Sorry for your loss dude :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

leica posted:

Glad to hear that's working out for you. It's getting time for my mother in law to do the same and we're not looking forward to it.
Best of luck with it mate, it can be tough, especially if your mother in law has special needs like what my dad has.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I had a moment of crazy today. I thought "I could live on the wrong coast, it can't be that bad". Then I took a look out my window at 72* and sunny in mid Feb and came back to my senses.

kastein posted:

The engine has probably been rebuilt at least once already.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 17, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bloodbag, that really sucks. I hope for you and your wife's sake that all the legal stuff gets sorted reasonably easy. :glomp:

Finally got to Austin. Holy poo poo I forgot how horrible traffic was here, it's only gotten worse since my last visit (.... 2009). I'm very, very glad I brought earplugs - I knew a hostel would be noisy, but this rivals my old dorm. I'd say my old dorm was quieter, actually. And a bit less cramped; there's 6 beds in this room, with 5 taken (including me). Upside is there's some serious eye candy in this place. :swoon:

Managed ~225 miles on half a tank of gas, with the ac on and the cruise set between 70-85 the entire way. I only have a 13 gallon tank, usually 225 miles has me below 1/4. :stare: I'm half tempted to fill up before I go out just to see what my mileage was, but parking at this place is extremely limited - my car probably won't move again until tomorrow. Probably going to use Lyft to get to my friend's place, then get a ride back from her.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

Best of luck with it mate, it can be tough, especially if your mother in law has special needs like what my dad has.

She has dementia pretty bad and it's getting worse, we're debating taking her car away, that should be fun. Hopefully it everything works out ok.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

leica posted:

She has dementia pretty bad and it's getting worse, we're debating taking her car away, that should be fun. Hopefully it everything works out ok.

I had to do that with my dad and his dementia. Which kinda hurt since he is a big car person like me

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BloodBag posted:

That sounds really nice.

BloodBag posted:

I'm just here to do logistics and be supportive for now. I'll mourn in my own time. All of this just feels so surreal.

You're allowed to mourn too. Don't hold it in, it just makes it worse. The next few days are going to be surreal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bloodbag sorry for the loss man, take your time to mourn and good luck.

Shampoo posted:

This. I got to work on time today and was the only one in the office for 30 minutes. I swear everyone just uses the precipitation as an excuse to sleep in some days.
I grew up in WI, I now live in TN and drat right I do this. Hey it snowed, guess I get to work from home!

kastein posted:

:boom: Probably a fresh engine. As discussed in Spyder's thread those things are good for LSx swaps and that's about it.

You Am I posted:

I had to do that with my dad and his dementia. Which kinda hurt since he is a big car person like me
Dementia runs in Dad's family, it's going to be really tough taking away his cars since that's his one hobby. On the other hand I get another E30 M3!

Dad thinks an El Camino is the perfect solution to my small truck dilemma, I'm pretty sure he's right.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

My favorite idiot local car guy bout an '05 RX-8 automatic against everyone's advice last week and today the transmission grenaded on him and I just can't stop laughing my rear end off.

Is this the same crazy rear end in a top hat that keeps trying to trade for your MS6?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
That really does suck rear end, bloodbag. he might have been there since november oh god
Good luck, I hope you don't need it :3:

I made a little video as a test / sort of "hey what do you think of this" for a longer running project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy9-bLj7wW0

so what this is is about a month worth of images from himawari-8, a geostationary Japanese satellite whose greatest claim to fame outside scientific and meteorological circles are the images its AHI camera (Advanced Himawari Imager, an absurdly high resolution wide-range camera that takes a photo of the earth every ten minutes) takes.

a sample photo (this is actually ~magically~ whatever the latest AHI image is, they allow hotlinking), there's also a 5500x5500 hi-rez source image here

I downloaded over a month of images from Himawari-8 and plan to keep downloading all the images until I have a year worth and then I am going to condense it into a video.

But first I decided to make a little one to sort of gauge response and see how people feel about it as a full length one would be around 60-70 minutes for a year of video which might be a bit much?

it also obviously wouldn't be available until January 2017

lemme know if you dig it :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Post that in the space/spaceflight thread in SAL posthaste

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

Post that in the space/spaceflight thread in SAL posthaste

Done and done, I wasn't sure where would be most appropriate so thanks for the suggestion :sun:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

literally a fish posted:

But first I decided to make a little one to sort of gauge response and see how people feel about it as a full length one would be around 60-70 minutes for a year of video which might be a bit much?

lemme know if you dig it :v:

I dig it, would zone out to an hour of that with chill music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That's a super cool video literally a fish.

• Locked thread