Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
That and all it takes for heavy crossbow to be a legit decent weapon at its stage in the game is bolt marrow and trigger fingers. And if you're shooting for a super crossbow you're getting those mutations anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I got this game and I love it! The gameplay, action, and music are all excellent.

But as the OP mentioned this game is HARD AS BALLS. I have soo many deaths on record and I've only seen the Nuclear Throne once (just to get mega-lasered). Are there any good tips for someone continuing the struggle?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Be cautious. Don't rush if you don't need to, and use cover when you can.

Don't get too attached to weapons that you get early on. A lot of the time I see new players still holding onto a crossbow or slugger way into the lategame when much better weapons have shown up, either because they're just more used to it or they haven't tried the higher tier weapons. You gotta experiment, and remember-weapons that put out damage faster are almost always better than weapons that save ammo.

Also, wrt lil hunter:

quote:

Lil Hunter is probably the biggest roadblock for new players. Some tips specifically for him:

You have 10 seconds on 5-3 before he lands. Use this time to clear out some enemies, but don't overextend-you don't want to still be fighting enemies once he's down. You just want a space to fight him in.
When he lands(each time), stay just far enough away that you don't get burnt by his jetpack fire and unload on him. With high damage weapons you may be able to kill him before he gets a chance to attack.
A second or two after landing, he'll start attacking. You want to break line of sight with him so that he can't use his fast bullets, and be careful of his bouncers as he backs away. Once he doesn't have sight of you, he'll summon IDPD. Every time he does this, he plays a voice clip and is surrounded by blue particle effects. When he's doing this, he can't attack, so you can either rush in and shoot him then back up again(repeat until dead), or kill the IDPD as they spawn in until he tries to land on you again, at which point you shoot him as he lands.

Long story short, he's easiest and safest to hit while landing and while summoning IDPD, and he's dangerous if he has line of sight to you. Break line of sight and attack him during these vulnerable points, or peck at him from cover.
Beyond this it's mostly just internalizing enemy behavior.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Bonus tip: take hammerhead and carve out a Lil' Hunter killing pit!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My favorite bit of advice is to shoot first

few things can kill you when they're already dead

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Little Hunter only dodges when you click. Use an automatic weapon and/or Steroids

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mr. Despair posted:

My favorite bit of advice is to shoot first

few things can kill you when they're already dead

fun fact: you can be one of those few things

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Improbable Lobster posted:

Little Hunter only dodges when you click. Use an automatic weapon and/or Steroids
he doesn't juke very much anymore(or at all when landing/summoning idpd) so high burst damage single shot weapons are often actually the best choice for him. guns like assault slugger/super crossbow/most explosive weapon poo poo all over lil hunter, and so does YV with almost anything

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
A shovel will completely wreck Lil hunter. Shovel blocks fires, and bouncer bullets. And depending on how brave you are you can block his fast bullets too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Jackhammer is really good for locking him down to the point of uselessness too.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Thanks for the tips! The part about not getting attached to weapons helps a lot.

I think my new favorite combo (while being suicide) is Y.V.'s throne butt ability and a nuke launcher. :getin:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
same

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

TopHatGenius posted:

Thanks for the tips! The part about not getting attached to weapons helps a lot.

I think my new favorite combo (while being suicide) is Y.V.'s throne butt ability and a nuke launcher. :getin:

I did this once and It ended as a mutual murder as Y.V. send out 4 nukes and it got annihilated by a laser beam.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Haha pretty much.

Though on the next level I panicked and launched four nukes point blank into an energy dog.

gently caress those radiation energy dogs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like how almost every time someone talks about them the name is different("radiation dogs", "rad dogs", "guardian dogs", "green dogs", "energy dogs") but there's never any confusion what they're talking about even though there's like 3 other kinds of dogs in this game

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
re: the nuke launcher
https://twitter.com/BRKeogh/status/699863019237453824

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they look more like bears to me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they jump on u like a friendly dog. you die though, which is different

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 18, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

IronicDongz posted:

like 3 other kinds of dogs in this game

Nuke dog, ice dog....???

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Big dog!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
and hostile horror.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
Gosh, this game has you kill a lot of dogs :smith:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Papa Horror

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Colosmicon posted:

Gosh, this game has you kill a lot of dogs :smith:

I shoot petting bullets when i shoot dogs. Also they are sleeping.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why the hell is it full of enemies

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
And I did it! I sat on the throne! :woop:

Now to unlock EVERYTHING.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Digirat posted:

Why the hell is it full of enemies
bug

e: now that dailies are working in the bugfix beta, I went and did one for the first time in a while.

pretty pleased with this! less pleased that I'm the only one on the leaderboards playing yv

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 18, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So is this a Playstation flaw? Can't move the cursor too far from the character?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HGH posted:

So is this a Playstation flaw? Can't move the cursor too far from the character?

When you're using controllers, in order to keep aiming sane, the reticule has a max distance it can go from your character and then when you let go of the stick it snaps back to neutral. Which makes the nuke launcher pretty much unusable, yes. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ideaot's new horror vid is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLr4-TkQUzA

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

TopHatGenius posted:

And I did it! I sat on the throne! :woop:

Now to unlock EVERYTHING.

Now it's time for you to start looping.:unsmigghh:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

current WR without disabling screenshake? drat

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Vlambo posted:

Update #98 - Thronebutt - February 21st, 2016

It's been a while, but update 98 finally seems ready. While we've done lots of testing on this build over the last few weeks, do note that the changes to this build are 'deep' enough that we can't guarantee it's 100% stable. Over the next few weeks we'll work on update 99, which will fix any issues that come up as 98 rolls out.

Most of Update 98 is balancing and fixes to issues introduced in 97, but the biggest change is the re-introduction of the Thronebutt[thronebutt.com] meta-leaderboards. Nuclear Throne now directly interfaces with the site, and that means you can keep track of your Daily and Weekly performance there.

Thanks for the patience, and let us know what you think!

Features
Thronebutt.com integration!

Balancing
Heavy Slugger Buff
Jungle flies now have a chance of dropping maggots
Lightning Crystals are now more aggressive
Bolt Damage Buff
Steroids Buff
Huge things can no longer be revived (bosses, etc.)

Fixes
Fixed some retroactive achievements
Removed Daily/Weekly from DRM-Free builds
Coop fixes
IDPD Van Depth fixes
Several No Portal Bugs fixed
Less freeze frames on Ally death
Skeleton now loses mutations properly
Lightning can now escape certain levels
Mom attacks with toxic again
YV purgatory bug fixed
Lots of crashes fixed
Van infinite loop fixed

Misc
Collision optimalisations
Lightning optimalisations
Melting scorchmarks depth issues resolved
Loadout guns no longer sound like chicken sword and vice versa

As a fun side-note, community member lietu has been working on Throne2Speech[throne2speech.com], which sort of narrates your Nuclear Throne run using the new Thronebutt. It's still in beta, so it might not be perfect still. We're looking forward to what people create with the new stream key and Thronebutt integrations!

loving finally

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Heavy slugger had a range increase, apparently. Also buff to ultra bolt damage.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

New update, eh? Time toe be A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E with motherfucking chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqCRJAnml48
gently caress :shepicide:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
saw it coming as soon as you picked up the grenade launcher as chicken

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Finally thronebutt is back! My first run wasn't that bad, still in the top 100. The weapon drops weren't that great, Gatling followed by Hyper Slugger were my main weapons for most of the run, and I had a heavy machinegun as backup, later replaced with lightning cannon, and finally the plasma minigun.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Mindblast posted:

Now it's time for you to start looping.:unsmigghh:

Yeah jesus I'm having an aneurysm trying to destroy all the generators and loop.

I need to just get gud. :smithicide:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've been finding that labs is a surprisingly challenging area, just because running out of ammo is a very real problem at pretty much all times, and occasionally you get stuck with a gatling slugger and an ammoless energy hammer and you spawn in a big room and immediately get swarmed (i wish i had managed to make my way out of this alive). it was weird beating little hunter and going "i'm pretty well prepared for murdering the throne but poo poo i dunno if i can make it through labs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, for the labs you need Gamma Guts or a weapon that deals with crowds, and for the palace/throne you need very good single target damage. I ditch some good weapons for stuff like smart guns or flame shotguns sometimes before the labs. (not that those are bad guns, mind you)

• Locked thread