Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Superstring posted:

And to think, there was a time when you didn't know anything about the Jojos.

it's improved my life vastly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lmfao.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Upon rewatching that video several times i've found the faces and characters are not consistent, furthermore,

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Does anyone here know how good the DVD for the first season is? Considering buying it so that my mom and I can watch it together.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

Does anyone here know how good the DVD for the first season is? Considering buying it so that my mom and I can watch it together.

Well, the DVD is pretty hilariously low-effort, but it's still JoJo.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I made a dumb JoJo Vanilla Ice thing if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7chDLSppM

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This is fun

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGnuVHkX3js

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

PoshAlligator posted:

I made a dumb JoJo Vanilla Ice thing if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7chDLSppM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljlZMJFOFyE

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

alcharagia posted:

it's improved my life vastly

I understand and appreciate so much more in life after JoJo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yo, imma blob posted:

emptyquoting this

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Yo, imma blob posted:

same

http://i.imgur.com/aL7Ym2v.gifv

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to wonder, given that we know about Josuke's origins now, was Joseph's whole "Aaaahhh, I hate everything Japanese" stuff at the beginning of Stardust Crusaders him trying really really REALLY hard (and failing) to be subtle about sleeping with a Japanese woman? Because, if so, that makes that even funnier in hindsight. :allears:

Also, Xibaniya, are you going to do manga to episode comparisons if the episodes catch up to your analyses?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to wonder, given that we know about Josuke's origins now, was Joseph's whole "Aaaahhh, I hate everything Japanese" stuff at the beginning of Stardust Crusaders him trying really really REALLY hard (and failing) to be subtle about sleeping with a Japanese woman? Because, if so, that makes that even funnier in hindsight. :allears:

Also, Xibaniya, are you going to do manga to episode comparisons if the episodes catch up to your analyses?

That's what I'll start believing from today on.

This made me reread the first few chapters of DiU and, man, it's gonna be great to see Jotaro's elusive smile show up on the first episode while talking about Joseph and Suzie Q's marital problems. :allears:

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 29, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The technical answer is no because Diamond is Unbreakable is post-script in that Araki always intended parts 1 to 3, he decided on 4 later on during 3.

I'll spoiler this but it's nothing really spoilery for part 4, but some people might not wanna know what happens in its story-
In JoJo Eyes of Heaven Joseph part 3 does get extremely shifty when they go to Morioh because he recognises it and Jotaro notices that he's being weird.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Like it was already said, not really, but Joseph is totally the type of person to act like that anyway, so it makes sense. I really like when kinda makes retcons like that because at least some of them make sense when it comes to the characters and how they act.

Joseph doesn't want anyone else to know he's a weeaboo like his daughter.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Intriguing idea! By the way I do hope to return to the Let's Read soon; I dropped off the face of the planet for a few weeks because I was making a game for the Little Awful Jam and then I was insanely busy the past five days getting the game ready for the Playcrafting NYC expo but now that that's done I can fiiiiinally get back to Jojos.

Holy poo poo I can't believe the anime is coming in April. They probably make episodes faster than I do Let's Reads! :v: I try to go faster and consolidate things but there are so many interesting details to examine! So I'll just let the anime overtake me and keep doing my thang.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Intriguing idea! By the way I do hope to return to the Let's Read soon; I dropped off the face of the planet for a few weeks because I was making a game for the Little Awful Jam and then I was insanely busy the past five days getting the game ready for the Playcrafting NYC expo but now that that's done I can fiiiiinally get back to Jojos.

No problem.

Also, someone just pointed out to me the pun in Jotaro's name.

Jotaro. Like Tarot. :stare:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Here's another one that might be exclusive to romanizations of his name. Take the last 3 letters of it, 'aro' and reverse them. What do you get?

ORA

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Fun tidbit:

quote:

On the wheel, alternating with the letters T-A-R-O are the Hebrew letters י-ה-ו-ה, usually transliterated as YHWH (Yahweh), the name of the God of Israel.

Who does Jotaro fight?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, basically, Jotaro's name, like his hat, is a microcosm of JoJo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
His name is SPEEDwagon, and he arrived very quickly to assist Jonathan against Dio, almost as if he was......speeding.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Question! Is this:

Really the last page of Surface 5? Seems kinda sudden to me.

Also hi thread, sorry for the long gap between let's reads, I was working on a game for the Little Awful Jam but now that that's quieting down I can turn my attention back to the finer things in life -- Jojos!

And also holy crap the anime is almost upon us!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Xibanya posted:

Yep

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xibanya posted:

More than a couple parts of part 4 end kind of abruptly.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I finished the anime recently and am debating on whether or not to read the manga. Is there enough difference between the two for parts 1 to 3 to make it worth it? Or should I start on part 4 to get ready for April?

I don't want to get burned out on anime. :ohdear:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
start reading part 5 like i did, you can solidly read 5-7 without getting spoiled for 4

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jyrraeth posted:

I finished the anime recently and am debating on whether or not to read the manga. Is there enough difference between the two for parts 1 to 3 to make it worth it? Or should I start on part 4 to get ready for April?

For what it's worth, anyone who has already read Part 4 is no less than extremely excited for the anime, so it's your call. I guess you could also go ahead and read Part 5-7 if you're really jonesing, but I've never done this personally so I dunno. The anime of Part 1 - 3 are super accurate with maybe only two or three scenes omitted overall so only go back and read those if you just wanna say you did or want to see Araki's art evolve

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

alcharagia posted:

start reading part 5 like i did, you can solidly read 5-7 without getting spoiled for 4

Well, the beginning of Part 5 does show Koichi and Echoes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Maybe hold off on Part 5 til you know how Part 4 goes because...

...the beginning also spoils a different stand power from Part 4.

Parts 6 and 7 should be ok, but Part 8 is stacked with Part 4 references so definitely avoid that one.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there enough difference between the two for parts 1 to 3 to make it worth it?
It's just a comic, sparing a few hours of your day is hardly significant enough to worry about whether it's "worth it".

Jyrraeth posted:

I don't understand why some people think like this. The only thing that comes to mind is that people are afraid they'll end up liking the source material better so they'd prefer to stay ignorant in order to like the adaptation more, but that doesn't make sense.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

tiistai posted:

I don't understand why some people think like this. The only thing that comes to mind is that people are afraid they'll end up liking the source material better so they'd prefer to stay ignorant in order to like the adaptation more, but that doesn't make sense.
sometimes consuming a lot of thing you like in a short amount of time can make you not like a thing as much. this isn't a weird concept. If I read all of Part 3 like a month before the anime started, I would worry about whether or not I could tired of watching the anime with it so fresh in my memory.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I totally get it, honestly. I'm lucky in that my enthusiasm for JJBA has remained the same as long as it has but I can get burned out on other things really quickly if I overload, so spacing stuff out makes sense.

alcharagia's advice is pretty solid if you'd like to try something else but don't want to spoil Part 4; honestly, I think going in having read it will make it a million times more enjoyable but that's based on the way I enjoy things so I certainly don't wanna dictate things for other people.

Part 4's my favorite so I'm biased but I honestly don't know how any anyone who has liked JJBA up until this point would *not* like Diamond is Unbreakable.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Part 4's my favorite so I'm biased but I honestly don't know how any anyone who has liked JJBA up until this point would *not* like Diamond is Unbreakable.

What a beautiful Duwang! There must be no other part as pretty as Not Crash. This feels like a picnic.

chew

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I totally get it, honestly. I'm lucky in that my enthusiasm for JJBA has remained the same as long as it has but I can get burned out on other things really quickly if I overload, so spacing stuff out makes sense.

alcharagia's advice is pretty solid if you'd like to try something else but don't want to spoil Part 4; honestly, I think going in having read it will make it a million times more enjoyable but that's based on the way I enjoy things so I certainly don't wanna dictate things for other people.

I got burnt out quite a few times while catching up, but what that meant for me was taking a few months break after reading 50-70 chapters in a couple of days, like just being unable to handle it more right now but still wanting to read at a later time.

Also, when does DiU start? because i just noticed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, a Netflix sitcom, starts on Friday April 15 and it'd be kinda dope that they come out at the same time if only for sharing the Unbreakable.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Also, when does DiU start? because i just noticed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, a Netflix sitcom, starts on Friday April 15 and it'd be kinda dope that they come out at the same time if only for sharing the Unbreakable.
Part 3 started April 4th and I have no idea if it's reasonable to expect the same date. A lot of shows, or at least ones I plan on following and know of, are starting in that first week of April so maybe then?

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 17, 2016

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Also remember that entire anime isn't going to just get dropped on you all at once. Just one single episode a week for who knows how long. You might be burned out on Jojo a bit when the anime starts to roll around, but the wait for each new episode should be plenty of time for that burn to cool.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Davinci posted:

Also remember that entire anime isn't going to just get dropped on you all at once. Just one single episode a week for who knows how long. You might be burned out on Jojo a bit when the anime starts to roll around, but the wait for each new episode should be plenty of time for that burn to cool.

The sole reason I've been able to sell a non-anime-watching person on watching it with me each week is "it's just a quick episode each week, no big deal!"

...no big deal except for the number of episodes that (I hope) it will have. :devil:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they basically have to do two full seasons to cover any arc from stardust crusaders onwards, so be prepared for 40+ episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I already got one of my non-Jojo-watching/reading roommates to watch all of Part 1 with us one night. Just gotta get through parts 2 and 3 before the part 4 anime starts in the spring...

• Locked thread