Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TTerrible posted:

I'm on the verge of binning an army because of my inability to paint white. I posted in here before about it but things have got ridiculous now. Has anyone had any success whatsoever in using Vallejo Game Air - Dead White on a miniature? I've tried every permutation of this bottle of bullshit with every additive and technique and it turns to poo poo every time.

• Straight from the bottle - Behaves and sets like thinned PVA glue. Visible brushstrokes, not a surprise.
  • Thinned with water to milk consistency - Dries pooled with visible brush strokes.
  • Thinned with vallejo airbrush thinner - Ditto above
  • Tiny bit of vallejo retarder + thinned with either water or thinner - thick and nasty
  • Tiny bit of medium + thinned with either water of thinner - thick and nasty

I've picked up a second bottle of this BULLSHIT in case I had a dud but I'm getting the same results. Am I just going to give up and use the Citadel base paint or something? Please tell me I'm overlooking something terribly obvious. Last time I ran into this I stopped painting for about a month after ruining a tactical squad. :psyduck:

Previously pictures were requested. I can supply them in a bit when I find my phone, if they'll be helpful.
I've have good luck with Vallejo's Game Color Off White.

Thinned down I've had no problems painting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Try P3 Morrow White or VMC Ivory? (Or even an artist's paint, like Golden.) I have a list of paints people really like, and there are several different whites on that list that you could pick from, depending on your needs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3705692&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post451418381

I've never used Dead White so I can't say if your experience is normal, but I tend to avoid Vallejo's Game ranges anyway. Everything I've seen about VGC says that the range is extremely variable in quality (I haven't heard much about VGA one way or the other), and the added durability doesn't mean anything to me when I varnish all my little guys anyway.

You could also try adding an agitator to your bottle to help mix the paint, if you think that might be an issue. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J9F8ILU

Floppychop posted:

I've have good luck with Vallejo's Game Color Off White.

Thinned down I've had no problems painting it.

Thanks, I'll give Ivory and Off White a go. I'm trying to get a clean white marine shoulder pad, it's the one part of the army I'm not airbrushing and it is taking 99% of the time :argh: :(

EDIT: Glass beads in all pots, tempted to buy one of those little orange paint shaker deals.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If the paint is pooling on the model and leaving bathtub rings, it's because you have too much on your brush.

VGA White may also be garbage, I don't know, but that sounds like your first problem.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Avenging Dentist posted:

Is Tamiya the go-to source for clear acrylics? I'm not looking to do candy paint or anything, but I do have a couple kits with clear resin skulls that I want to do something cool with. I was thinking about going for glowing red/orange eyes. I'm debating whether I should paint them with clear paints or use opaque paint instead.

Yes, or Minitaire Ghost Tints. You can only do so much with normal opaque paints!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's not that, it's very weird. It just.. migrates to the edge of each brush stroke. Like there is a surface tension issue. It's literally the only paint I have this issue with in the VGA line.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The reaper clear brights are real good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Is there a trick to taking photos of minis with a phone that don't look like zoomed-in garbage? I don't even mean final presentation photos, just WIPs and stuff. I posted those pics of my vampire bust yesterday and they look terrible.

I realize that photos are by their nature unforgiving but I feel like mine are less representative of what the model looks like, even under the harsh painting light, than most.

I take my pics with an iPhone 6, and I don't zoom in but I do take the pic as close as I can get while still being in focus. Should I be taking pics from farther out and then cropping?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is there a trick to taking photos of minis with a phone that don't look like zoomed-in garbage? I don't even mean final presentation photos, just WIPs and stuff. I posted those pics of my vampire bust yesterday and they look terrible.

I realize that photos are by their nature unforgiving but I feel like mine are less representative of what the model looks like, even under the harsh painting light, than most.

I take my pics with an iPhone 6, and I don't zoom in but I do take the pic as close as I can get while still being in focus. Should I be taking pics from farther out and then cropping?

I don't know if my photos are good quality of not by comparison of others, but all mine are taken with an iPhone 5S at close range with no zoom. I get close enough so that the camera can still focus on the foreground detail and then snap the picture. I then load the full image into an image editor (I just use pixlr.com since it's free and easy), crop to an appropriate size/shape, do an auto-balance for color/brightness, do a sharpen, adjust the brightness by +2-5 and the contrast by +5-10 to try and negate the bleaching quality of fluorescent bulbs, resize it down to a smaller postable size, and do a final sharpen to bring out the edges and detail. The whole process is pretty quick and dirty, but I think the results are good enough.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this objective marker turned out for Bolt Action :toot:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JoshTheStampede posted:

Get in close, tap on the actual subject of the photo so it'll focus on that. Make sure your lighting is good, that's the real kicker. Other than that that's all I've got. You just want more even lighting probably; whenever I photograph my minis I have a lamp above them and one I'm holding with the camera to try and get a decent spread of light without blowing anything out.

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
I am facing a challenge. I recently ordered and built a Revell boat model in 1/48 scale to use as part of the terrain for my infinity table. So far so good, but now that I have started to paint it with my Citadel acryl paints, the paint somehow just won't stick to the plastic. It pools and only after several layers its getting better.
I already tried to wash the plastic parts with dishwasher soap to remove anything oily left on the surface but this does not help at all. Still the first and parts of the second coat pool and are easily wiped away. Never happened to me with any gw/mantic/whatever tin, plastic or resin models.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

I use my cell phone for pictures, and I can't even come close to getting decent WIP shots. It's light box or bust, and even then it's dicey like the last photos I posted here. My painting area is exceptionally poorly lit when it's not sunny oitside though.

I do get generally better photos when I'm a little further back like 6 to 8 inches, but mostly I just take a poo poo ton of them and sort through them to find the best ones. Even with ideal circumstances I still run up against the limits of my phone camera.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 16, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Commissar Canuck posted:

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this objective marker turned out for Bolt Action :toot:

Awesome, please tell me he's called Flashheart?

Doctors Inc posted:

I am facing a challenge. I recently ordered and built a Revell boat model in 1/48 scale to use as part of the terrain for my infinity table. So far so good, but now that I have started to paint it with my Citadel acryl paints, the paint somehow just won't stick to the plastic. It pools and only after several layers its getting better.
I already tried to wash the plastic parts with dishwasher soap to remove anything oily left on the surface but this does not help at all. Still the first and parts of the second coat pool and are easily wiped away. Never happened to me with any gw/mantic/whatever tin, plastic or resin models.

You sprayed/brushed primer on to the plastic before painting first right?

richyp fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 16, 2016

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
No special primer, just straight chaos black slightly watered down from the pot. Always worked with small minis.
Maybe its the large smooth surfaces that cause the problem.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Doctors Inc posted:

No special primer, just straight chaos black slightly watered down from the pot. Always worked with small minis.

The "watered down" aspect may be your issue if the model is a type of resin. Try it straight from the pot in thin layers, it should adhere better that way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Doctors Inc posted:

Yup, this is the reason. Small models have enough irregular surfaces that you can often get away with using paint as primer. Larger models you really need a spray coat first or as you found out acrylic paint has a hard time grabbing the smooth plastic.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Speaking of Spray Primers, just tried a can of cheap automotive plastic grey primer in crappy weather and it's dried really smooth.

It's http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-grey-spray-300ml if any UK goon wants to get some. I've used their white primer in the past too and it seemed to do a better job than the old GW Skull White. Just make sure you get the "primer" and not "filler primer" as the former is acrylic and the latter will clog detail.

Also I've not tried them but they do provide acrylic primers in many other colours and offer some kind of in store colour matching (for spraying), not sure on accuracy of matching or the quality but it might be a fun test to see how close they can get to a GW/VMC colour to speed up base coating for those without an airbrush.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

TTerrible posted:

I'm on the verge of binning an army because of my inability to paint white. I posted in here before about it but things have got ridiculous now. Has anyone had any success whatsoever in using Vallejo Game Air - Dead White on a miniature? I've tried every permutation of this bottle of bullshit with every additive and technique and it turns to poo poo every time.

• Straight from the bottle - Behaves and sets like thinned PVA glue. Visible brushstrokes, not a surprise.
  • Thinned with water to milk consistency - Dries pooled with visible brush strokes.
  • Thinned with vallejo airbrush thinner - Ditto above
  • Tiny bit of vallejo retarder + thinned with either water or thinner - thick and nasty
  • Tiny bit of medium + thinned with either water of thinner - thick and nasty

I've picked up a second bottle of this BULLSHIT in case I had a dud but I'm getting the same results. Am I just going to give up and use the Citadel base paint or something? Please tell me I'm overlooking something terribly obvious. Last time I ran into this I stopped painting for about a month after ruining a tactical squad. :psyduck:

Previously pictures were requested. I can supply them in a bit when I find my phone, if they'll be helpful.

White is hard to paint. You simply won't get reasonable whites or blacks without subjecting yourself to a lot of frustration and working through it. Part of it is just good brush work and a bit of zen when it comes to paint consistency and having the right paint load on the brush. Part of it is the colors though, which is easier to sort out.

White is 99% about shading. You can't highlight white, it is kinda obvious when you think about that. First question is what color your white is going to be. This is because you need a color to shade with. Generally I base coat with an off white of the shade color I am using. I then wash with a pretty pure form of the shade color. Then I apply the basecoat color in a very thinned down way to build up towards the highlights, AND to fix the blotches. I then mix in more and more white, while keeping the paint very thin, with the brush strokes towards the highlights to keep the blotches where more paint is going to go down later.

lovely reality is it takes a lot of practice and a lot of coats to paint a half decent white.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

richyp posted:

Awesome, please tell me he's called Flashheart?

You're goddamn right he is :britain:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The other thing to remember is you don't have to actually paint white things white at all. Especially if its something like a white cloak on a model with darker colors elsewhere, a light grey or cream will read as white cloth to the eye. You can use pure white just for the highest highlights, or sometimes not even at all.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cyclomatic posted:

White is hard to paint. You simply won't get reasonable whites or blacks without subjecting yourself to a lot of frustration and working through it. Part of it is just good brush work and a bit of zen when it comes to paint consistency and having the right paint load on the brush. Part of it is the colors though, which is easier to sort out.

White is 99% about shading. You can't highlight white, it is kinda obvious when you think about that. First question is what color your white is going to be. This is because you need a color to shade with. Generally I base coat with an off white of the shade color I am using. I then wash with a pretty pure form of the shade color. Then I apply the basecoat color in a very thinned down way to build up towards the highlights, AND to fix the blotches. I then mix in more and more white, while keeping the paint very thin, with the brush strokes towards the highlights to keep the blotches where more paint is going to go down later.

lovely reality is it takes a lot of practice and a lot of coats to paint a half decent white.

My plan was to lay down some CGA Stonewall or <grey I've forgotten>, layer white over the top of that and then drop a very thin grey wash around the edge of the pad and in panel lines. I've never got past the grey stage. I don't think I've got the patience to do what you describe across an entire Space Marine army, so I'm hoping that Ivory or Off white with a zenithal airbrush highlight will give me a lazy fix. :(

richyp posted:

Speaking of Spray Primers, just tried a can of cheap automotive plastic grey primer in crappy weather and it's dried really smooth.

It's http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-grey-spray-300ml if any UK goon wants to get some. I've used their white primer in the past too and it seemed to do a better job than the old GW Skull White. Just make sure you get the "primer" and not "filler primer" as the former is acrylic and the latter will clog detail.

Also I've not tried them but they do provide acrylic primers in many other colours and offer some kind of in store colour matching (for spraying), not sure on accuracy of matching or the quality but it might be a fun test to see how close they can get to a GW/VMC colour to speed up base coating for those without an airbrush.

I use Halfords "Matt black" (not primer) as a primer and it is beautiful. Incredibly smooth, and when stripping minis with biostrip it is generally untouched. I've no idea how it keys that well, but there we go.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah their Matt Black not-primer primer is amazing, smoother than their Grey which is already smooth. I was blown away by it when I used it to prime my Minotaurs.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys, I need some help with basing.

I am working on a mini that is holding a severed head. It's quite a bloody thing to be holding, so the base would obviously reflect this. The thing is that I intend to base it on Secret Weapon Miniature's wetlands base, complete with their water effects. Does anyone know how to achieve a spreading blood stain in the water, as if the blood is starting to disperse into the water? I obviously don't want full bloody water, as that would look silly, but I also feel like clean water wouldn't fit either.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Water effects are pretty thick, you may be able to pour the water, then drop the blood in or maybe use a syringe? And it'll spread some but then set that way. Test it out in a cup or a spare base.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The halfords primer has long been the recommended spray primer if you live in the UK. Even old GW stuff recommends it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm super out of practice with painting: it's been maybe 6-7 years since I tried to do any minis. Recently I've been trying to put together a Tyranid army, but I'm still really shaky and generally crap. Any thoughts on how to improve these?*

*THIN YOUR PAINTS is the obvious one. I only remembered to do it when I was pretty much done with this lot, but it's definitely something I'm going to start doing again ASAP. I'm using Vallejo which are thankfully a lot thinner than GW, but some details are definitely obscured.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm super out of practice with painting: it's been maybe 6-7 years since I tried to do any minis. Recently I've been trying to put together a Tyranid army, but I'm still really shaky and generally crap. Any thoughts on how to improve these?*

*THIN YOUR PAINTS is the obvious one. I only remembered to do it when I was pretty much done with this lot, but it's definitely something I'm going to start doing again ASAP. I'm using Vallejo which are thankfully a lot thinner than GW, but some details are definitely obscured.

I had tyranids in a very similar green/bone scheme (can't find any pictures at the moment). I'd do what I did and pick out the joints and vents in red.

EDIT: found it;

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So a few years ago (long before I started this army) a friend of mine gave me the remains of a miscast Squiggoth in a Ziploc bag. It had sat around in my Warhams box for years until a couple weeks ago when I decided to see what I could do with it. With a lot of green stuff, a few digs through my bitz box, and an awful lot of clipping and cutting, I'd built myself a proper howdah for the big beast! There's still some pretty bad problems with the model - a slipped mold happened somewhere obviously - I still think I did a decent job salvaging the model! Also my old second lamp I was using for photography started shooting sparks so I had to toss it; until I get a suitable replacement my lighting might be a little off. This first image shows his colors most accurately:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

SRM posted:

So a few years ago (long before I started this army) a friend of mine gave me the remains of a miscast Squiggoth in a Ziploc bag. It had sat around in my Warhams box for years until a couple weeks ago when I decided to see what I could do with it. With a lot of green stuff, a few digs through my bitz box, and an awful lot of clipping and cutting, I'd built myself a proper howdah for the big beast! There's still some pretty bad problems with the model - a slipped mold happened somewhere obviously - I still think I did a decent job salvaging the model! Also my old second lamp I was using for photography started shooting sparks so I had to toss it; until I get a suitable replacement my lighting might be a little off. This first image shows his colors most accurately:

Whats actually miscast here? looks real tight

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah you salvaged that poo poo up good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

I'm guessing some of the claws aren't meant to be quite as hosed but if he hadn't said it was miscast I'd never have known from the photos.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

You did pretty well for being so out of practise! While you should probably thin them it's not horribly noticeable :)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Still waiting on an order of some VMC blue's so I can paint the armour. On the plus side it means I probably spent more time painting pretend make up on her face than I usually do an a model and I'm really pleased with how it and the rest of the face turned out.

First time I've painted a face without using a wash, quite pleased with the outcome especially considering the flesh coloured paint is also on the same order as the blues. Good old Pale Sand and German Orange save the day again.

Not sure if the red (orange) hair lacks enough contrast as it's the same colours I used for the skin only in different ratios. Should I keep it or paint it brown? I also daren't attempt the pupils until I get a new brush, my detail brush has more stray hair's than not.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TTerrible posted:

It's not that, it's very weird. It just.. migrates to the edge of each brush stroke. Like there is a surface tension issue. It's literally the only paint I have this issue with in the VGA line.

Maybe it is the primer/basecoat you're painting on? I had an issue with Army Painter primers where half the paint I wanted to use wouldn't adhere to the surface of the model - it would just pool and run off. I had the same issue with some models where I used Testors silver (chrome?) spray, but, in this case, it only affected some of the models, even though they were all sprayed in the same batch. It was really weird.

These VGC paints and not Air though, so it may not be the same issue.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Maybe it is the primer/basecoat you're painting on? I had an issue with Army Painter primers where half the paint I wanted to use wouldn't adhere to the surface of the model - it would just pool and run off. I had the same issue with some models where I used Testors silver (chrome?) spray, but, in this case, it only affected some of the models, even though they were all sprayed in the same batch. It was really weird.

These VGC paints and not Air though, so it may not be the same issue.

Hmm that's a good point. I've been using the almost universally loved Halfords matt black. I did pickup some of that Bbadger Stynylrez that is supposed to be the new hotness. I'll prime some sprue and check it. Picking up the replacement white colours at my FLGS tonight too.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

$130 worth of painting supplies showed up at my house yesterday addressed to me. Unfortunately the invoice was to someone else. Alas, the package continues on its journey later today.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

w00tmonger posted:

The claws are a bit messed up, as are the horns. There's a lot of little bubbles and holes in the armor plates and teeth, the mouth is kind of a jumble of resin, and the leg with the armor plate over the knee is really messed up but the pictures kinda hide it. It wasn't unsalvageable but it took a bit of work. Glad you dig it though!

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

The cure for the shakes is touching yourself. Seriously, make sure your hands are touching, pinky to pinky contact is enough, and then put your foot on your chair and rest your wrists on your knee instead of using something else that isn't part of you. I'm guessing giving your brain so many data points to cross reference just makes the motor control easier to plot or something, but it seems to work.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
More bros finished:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Anyone know where I could get 3x1x1mm magnets in the UK? EMagnets and Spider Magnets don't have them, but I did find a seller in germany asking for £12.99 for 50.