Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PassTheRemote posted:

This episode had some bad tonal whiplash, but Mulder tripping balls was one of the best/funniest sequences I have seen on this show.

That's what's irritating to me. Awful, awful TV surrounding an amazing bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

sticklefifer posted:

Another issue I have plotwise is that you'd think with only a 6 episode run, they'd make all of them actually X-Files. A conventional crime solved in an unconventional way isn't really what they do or have ever done. I'm all for new directions in a series revival, but that's not really a new direction. It's the opposite; the same old typical crime show direction except with a drug trippy twist.

Actually I am pretty sure this isn't the first mundane case solved using the paranormal we have seen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sticklefifer posted:

Another issue I have plotwise is that you'd think with only a 6 episode run, they'd make all of them actually X-Files. A conventional crime solved in an unconventional way isn't really what they do or have ever done. I'm all for new directions in a series revival, but that's not really a new direction. It's the opposite; the same old typical crime show direction except with a drug trippy twist.

"Aubrey" in S2 was exceedingly mundane, as was "Our Town" (the gimmick in the latter is just "oh hey these guys are cannibals and maybe eating human flesh keeps people young, but who knows).

e: I'm watching a S3 episode where a psychic is being used to find a serial killer.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 16, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The serial killer is psychic in that one too, right?

Also that one with the vacuum cleaner salesman who tricks Mulder into letting him go. He just wanted to kill more kids.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

kinda wish they never made any new x files eps

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

The serial killer is psychic in that one too, right?

It's implied but aside from predicting a Tarot card nothing he does is Psychically enabled.

Oh he also sends a letter to the guy before the murders start, but it's easy to miss.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If they were trying a soft pilot for mini Mulder and Scully then yeesh, I have no interest.

Mini Scully was annoying. Every line of hers was similar to the spirit of Scully but devoid of any charm. She was the by-the-book, totally straight, logical character but with no redeeming or balancing qualities to make her seem like a real human being.

Mini Mulder was just a big nothing.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
I'd like to add to the growing consensus that this episode sucked hard and long. It felt like the episode stepped out of a time machine from a fresh 9/11, Jack Bauer inspired America.

I also wanted to bring up that weird sound at the end- the very same sound teased on the background television earlier on in the episode. Do you guys think that's gonna be tied into the mystery of the last episode? Like sounds all over the globe and alien invasion? Or is it just another example of too many ideas shoved into one terrible episode?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

RugClockVexx posted:

I'd like to add to the growing consensus that this episode sucked hard and long. It felt like the episode stepped out of a time machine from a fresh 9/11, Jack Bauer inspired America.

I also wanted to bring up that weird sound at the end- the very same sound teased on the background television earlier on in the episode. Do you guys think that's gonna be tied into the mystery of the last episode? Like sounds all over the globe and alien invasion? Or is it just another example of too many ideas shoved into one terrible episode?

They will examine the biblical route (trumpets sounding in Revelation are a sign of the end times) and then it will turn out that the aliens did it, but maybe it was the government, but it could also be aliens.

And Mulder will continue to call it Revelations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It seemed like Chris Carter saw all the hype towards Darin Morgan's episodes and thought "hey, I can do dramedy too :smuggo:" and then he vomited all this tonal whiplash crap.

I will give him the mushroom sequence, but the rest of the episode had no rhyme or reason to it. At the very least it's still better than the tedious monologues from episode 1 :barf:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

kinda wish they never made any new x files eps

Its really not that big a deal because its not like the original series had a pristine reputation. It's last two seasons are widely regarded to be crap, and there was a liberal sprinkling of crap throughout the series from day 1. I'm glad they tried at least, and even if we only got one really good episode that's one more than we had before.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ignis posted:

I will give him the mushroom sequence, but the rest of the episode had no rhyme or reason to it. At the very least it's still better than the tedious monologues from episode 1 :barf:

I liked all the doofy monologues in episode one. They just made me chuckle and say "Of Course this is how it comes back."

The mushroom sequence was the only redeeming bit.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The end got so bad I stopped paying attention. Was I supposed to feel sorry for the half exploded terrorist who I guess sorta didnt want to suicide bomb a building or something because his mom came and said he was a good boy? I have no idea what the hell im supposed to take away from that poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you are suppose to feel sorry cause he is a good boy and words got to him

thats it, its a message of love not hate yo

its just really really poorly done

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/15/x-files-finale-chris-carter posted:

If the show returned for another season, do you envision the same mixture of mythology episodes and stand-alone episodes?
CC: I love the mythology. I focused so much on it during the run of the show because it really involved the character’s personal quests, and also their relationship as it grew, and/or as it ebbed. The struggles. I chose “My Struggle” [as a title for the premiere and finale] because those characters both struggle very much with their belief systems. I love the mythology because it did what I think the show did best. The stand-alone episodes could be light, comedic. I think of the episode with Burt Reynolds … it goes into almost concept art. A show, with the right actors, can be more than just one thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

"Aubrey" in S2 was exceedingly mundane, as was "Our Town" (the gimmick in the latter is just "oh hey these guys are cannibals and maybe eating human flesh keeps people young, but who knows).

e: I'm watching a S3 episode where a psychic is being used to find a serial killer.

What I mean is, with a 6 episode limit in which they reopened the titular case files, they could've stuck to those titular case files.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't think they could do worse than the first ep of S10 but boy howdy, what garbage that was.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/699774175523635200

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope Kumail covers the episodes from a fan perspective on the podcast.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So was Agent Kellogg actually from DHS? Or was he some sort of Muslim spy? And how did he get back from 20,000 BC?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Shrooms Mulder was worth the rest of the episode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No it really wasn't.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

That was a very strong candidate for Worst X-Files Episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really hate that Carter and X-Files are a package deal. At this point, he's like Gene Roddenberry in TNG's first season. If they do another miniseries, they really need to get some fresh faces in the writer's room.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
EDIT: Nah, gently caress it. You people aren't worth it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This wasn't the best episode but yeah, the amount of hate is something you should expect. I mean people were so loving hard on that new season of Arrested Development despite it actually being the best it ever was. It just something that happens when you bring back a show, expectations are even doubled then when it was on air.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mortanis posted:

EDIT: Nah, gently caress it. You people aren't worth it.

OH WELL NOW YOU ARE JUST BEING RUDE

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

PBS Newshour posted:

OH WELL NOW YOU ARE JUST BEING RUDE

I get hate. It just baffles me when people crank that up to 11 with some need to out do everyone else. It's not just "hate", it's a vitriolic, aggressive making GBS threads. Things can't just be "bad", they have to be the worst thing ever and it hosed your childhood dog and then shot it in front of you. I totally get seriously disliking something but the responses go far, far beyond that.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A new episode coming out and it being bad and people complaining lustily about it is part of the authentic X-Files Experience. (I assume, I didn't watch the show during its initial run)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

E: NVM

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Fox Mulder doing a dance move from Pulp Fiction to Achy Breaky Heart is concentrated 90s

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
On Season 3, the Cockroach episode: Ebola was a popular "scary disease" even back 20 years ago.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just feel bad for everyone who waited over a decade (not counting the movie, I guess) for this to come back. I watched S10E01 the day after seeing the second movie, and two days after finishing up the extant series on Netflix. I actually really liked episode 2. Episode 3 was fantastic but it was so over the top wacky that it seemed almost non-canon because it's the least seriously the show's taken itself in its entire run. 4 was just kinda there, but it was better than 1 and 5 which were both jam-packed full of ideas that didn't have time for the exploration they deserved (like those guys supposedly from DHS- who the gently caress were they? Good thing we never had to see them again!) and any point either tried to make was poorly conveyed... and just not fun at all. Like you can tell they tried for this episode not to be racist, like the bizarro-universe panel show in which the fat white guy was the voice of reason saying how not all Muslims are terrorists and the mother who was upset her kid fell in with the group he did, but I bet at least twice as many viewers took the message "there are terrorists lying in wait among the brown immigrants" from this episode than any other message.

Fortunately I'm re-watching the best of the series. So this crappy (hardly The Worst Of The Series, though) episode was followed up by Fluke Man!

Haha, I re-read this and it sorta sounds like I'm summing up the whole season, but there's still one episode left! Come on, Carter might turn this ship around, right? Finish up strong? Right?

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 17, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mortanis posted:

I get hate. It just baffles me when people crank that up to 11 with some need to out do everyone else. It's not just "hate", it's a vitriolic, aggressive making GBS threads. Things can't just be "bad", they have to be the worst thing ever and it hosed your childhood dog and then shot it in front of you. I totally get seriously disliking something but the responses go far, far beyond that.
It's extremely offensive and fuels the already seething hatred of muslims. There is very little in this episode that makes a case that "Most Muslims aren't suicide bomber terrorists."

It was a very dumb thing to do. Especially today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

It's extremely offensive and fuels the already seething hatred of muslims. There is very little in this episode that makes a case that "Most Muslims aren't suicide bomber terrorists."

It was a very dumb thing to do. Especially today.

Interestingly, it instead makes the case that "people who scared of Muslims are dumb idiot babies".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But then proves them right because every Muslim in the episode is an evil suicide bombing terrorist. (except for the Mom, I guess...)

If you took out the line "He didn't blow up his vest" then the entire narrative is changed. One little tiny throw away line. One I didn't even hear until I came to this thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh come on, the terrorist poo poo and ponderous nonsense dialogue was pretty bad, but the rest of the episode was silly fun. It was probably the best thing Carter has ever written, which is to drat the episode with faint praise. But it was fun and funny, except for the new agents being way too arch to be fun.

Also, Mulder's shroom adventure really underscored how lonely and miserable he must be. His only friends have been dead for 15 years and they're still the ones he chooses to put in his good-times trip. And he was so happy there, unlike how he's seemed in every episode so far, almost like Jeff Bridges in the Big Lebowski musical numbers. And his imagination is stuck solidly in 1995. Mulder is a man out of time. I teared up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno, when I get slapped in the face, it's hard for me to get over that. Even if the person who slapped me is doing a silly dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Files has such a long history of doing offensive poo poo with other cultures, though, like stupidly gross ugly poo poo. But you know it's because they're so loving tone-deaf that they have no idea what they're doing and you kind of expect it and there's no real malice. It's like seeing that your kid has drawn all over the wall with a crayon.

• Locked thread