Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

For some reason I keep forgetting to watch that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some day I'll watch Breaking Bad. Some day long in the future when I'm really depressed and want to watch something really intense that bums me out.

In the meantime, would it be a terrible idea to watch Better Call Saul without having seen BB?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

In the meantime, would it be a terrible idea to watch Better Call Saul without having seen BB?

Yeah. General rule - Don't watch/play/read prequels first.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
BCS is barely a prequel. It's practically its own thing. Maybe when the later seasons come in I will change my tune but at the moment it's so far off it doesn't matter.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

It's back already? That snuck up. Guess I'll have to read a Wiki summary or something to refresh myself on season 1 rather than my customary rewatch.

I only just realized it had premiered when I refreshed my podcasts and a new episode of BCS Insider started downloading.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sober posted:

BCS is barely a prequel. It's practically its own thing. Maybe when the later seasons come in I will change my tune but at the moment it's so far off it doesn't matter.

Honestly it's so much better than Breaking Bad I wish it wasn't related at all. I'm dreading it catching up to that show.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I was surprised to find that Vinyl didn't have a thread so I made one. Come on in and answer my one question, and let's talk about this program together.

Edit: OH YEAH shout out to sector_corrector, totally stole your comment for the show's thread title

timp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 16, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly it's so much better than Breaking Bad I wish it wasn't related at all. I'm dreading it catching up to that show.

I wouldn't go anywhere near this far yet but it's definitely more my kind of show and I could see it surpassing it if it gets as intense but in its own way

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Some day I'll watch Breaking Bad. Some day long in the future when I'm really depressed and want to watch something really intense that bums me out.

It won't make much difference to you.

That said, if the tone of BrBa was what turned you off, well, BCS doesn't seem to be going in a lighter direction.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

feedmyleg posted:

I have a friend who hasn't been able to get into Breaking Bad but is really enjoying Better Call Saul. It makes a lot of easter egg references to BB but as a standalone show I'm sure BCS still works.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it would work. I personally would still say watch BB first but it's definitely not totally egregious to start with Saul. The stuff you actively wouldn't understand is very little.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PriorMarcus posted:

You're such a drama queen.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you're putting off BB because it's intense and depressing then Better Call Saul is even worse for that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

Oofah doofah what a bad post!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One of the best parts about BCS is that it doesn't actually lean too hard on Breaking Bad references outside of maybe the very first episode. I mean I still recommend you watch Breaking Bad because it's a great show, but it totally stands on its own.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Breaking Bad is great but has a lot of boring scenes where nothing happens like eating breakfast.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I liked the last two seasons of Breaking Bad, the rest was honestly incredible dull. I watched it only to get the set up for the final seasons. Season 4 and 5 completely change the horrible pacing in seasons 1, 2, and 3.

I love Bryan Cranston and I love Bob Odenkirk which is what got me through BB, but I really can't watch most shows that progress at turtle-like speeds.

Edit: completely agree with the above. I didn't want to watch the Pancake king ask about breakfast for the fiftieth loving time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season 3 of Broad City starts tomorrow night.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not gonna compare the two shows in their entireties because BCS is still pretty new and that would be pointless

But BCS season 1 is probably better than BB season 1.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Season 3 of Broad City starts tomorrow night.

Woohoo! Abie and Illana are also on the latest of Maron's podcasts.

Ravane posted:

I liked the last two seasons of Breaking Bad, the rest was honestly incredible dull. I watched it only to get the set up for the final seasons. Season 4 and 5 completely change the horrible pacing in seasons 1, 2, and 3.

I love Bryan Cranston and I love Bob Odenkirk which is what got me through BB, but I really can't watch most shows that progress at turtle-like speeds.

Edit: completely agree with the above. I didn't want to watch the Pancake king ask about breakfast for the fiftieth loving time.

What is with the tiny attention spans that people have these days? It seems that if there isn't at least a character death or explosion every 6 minutes people complain about being bored.

Season 1 is short as hell and tight to boot.
Season 2 had some crazy intense episodes and the slower parts really helped establish the transformation of lead characters.
Season 3 has a cracking pace with some of the most tense episodes of the entire series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Live event TV has definitely gone too far as The Simpsons is planning a "live segment" in a May episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xcore posted:

What is with the tiny attention spans that people have these days? It seems that if there isn't at least a character death or explosion every 6 minutes people complain about being bored.

Season 1 is short as hell and tight to boot.
Season 2 had some crazy intense episodes and the slower parts really helped establish the transformation of lead characters.
Season 3 has a cracking pace with some of the most tense episodes of the entire series.

Season 2 was the plane right? That season largely dragged rear end.

The Fly also sucked tremendous piles of flaming radioactive poo poo.

Otherwise BrBa is some of the best TV ever made.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Live event TV has definitely gone too far as The Simpsons is planning a "live segment" in a May episode.

But it's a terrible strain on the animators wrists

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

IRQ posted:

Season 2 was the plane right? That season largely dragged rear end.

The Fly also sucked tremendous piles of flaming radioactive poo poo.

Otherwise BrBa is some of the best TV ever made.

Fly was good though?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Fly was a quintessential Breaking Bad episode.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Fly was loving amazing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
People might think Season two dragged at the time, but when viewed as a whole it's really good. It just takes a while to get the pieces into place, much like Boardwalk Empire, but when it all comes together and viewed as a whole it's good.

The obvious rebuttal to that is "but Boardwalk Empire WAS boring at times. This type of storytelling is bad for a TV show that airs week to week". But you know what other TV did that? The first season of Better Call Saul and now people are raving about it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's been like a page since a guy said he hadn't watched BB yet, maybe it would be a common courtesy to not openly discuss the plotlines and events of entire seasons

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fly was the first episode of Breaking Bad I ever saw because AMC was airing reruns one night. It was loving captivating. It made me go back and watch the whole series from the beginning and I fell in love with it. But Fly is like the best episode I could've seen out of order because it was a hell of a showcase of the series' amazing cinematography and darkly comedic tone, as well as establishing those characters for me almost immediately without being super spoilery and making me feel like I didn't need to see what came before that episode.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sleeveless posted:

It's been like a page since a guy said he hadn't watched BB yet, maybe it would be a common courtesy to not openly discuss the plotlines and events of entire seasons

Nobody has said literally anything substantive about the content of the show other than that one season might have something to do with a plane crash. Oh also they talk about breakfast a lot. loving spoilers dude!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

No one said anything about anything that happens in the show, though. :confused:

Unless you meant to post this in the Better Call Saul thread, in which case haha wow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder what ever happened to the guy that directed Fly...

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Wow people think BCS is less dull than BB?

BCS had a whole episode dedicated to deciding whether or not to go into elder care.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

xcore posted:

The obvious rebuttal to that is "but Boardwalk Empire WAS boring at times. This type of storytelling is bad for a TV show that airs week to week". But you know what other TV did that? The first season of Better Call Saul and now people are raving about it.

I didn't find any of the first season of Better Call Saul dull. The premier of season 2 didn't bowl me over tho

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This season of X-Files is amazing, it's somehow managed to have both one of the best episodes the show has ever had and one of the worst episodes the show has ever had. All within two episodes of each other.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shageletic posted:

Is the british version worth watching? I liked the first five minutes of it, with the speechifying. Seemed more my speed than the stupid fantasy of what I've seen from the American version.

Definitely worth watching, yes. Urquhart is a bastard but you're not supposed to like him, which is better than the weird escapist fantasy of Kevin Spacey imho

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

feedmyleg posted:

nope, go ahead

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Fly was the first episode of Breaking Bad I ever saw because AMC was airing reruns one night. It was loving captivating. It made me go back and watch the whole series from the beginning and I fell in love with it. But Fly is like the best episode I could've seen out of order because it was a hell of a showcase of the series' amazing cinematography and darkly comedic tone, as well as establishing those characters for me almost immediately without being super spoilery and making me feel like I didn't need to see what came before that episode.

and then he went on to direct looper. good guy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brick is still my favourite thing Rian Johnson ever directed after Ozymandias. You all should watch Brick.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Escobarbarian posted:

Brick is still my favourite thing Rian Johnson ever directed after Ozymandias. You all should watch Brick.

This post is 100% truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched Brick like a decade ago when it came out and I didn't enjoy it, but maybe I'd enjoy it more now after having seen/enjoyed some of his other work like Looper and his Breaking Bad episodes.

• Locked thread