Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
I *really* want to try FCM. I signed up on BoardgameCore (as foxxtrot), anyone want to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

FulsomFrank posted:

I also got to try out DC Deck Builder at a game meetup and I'm curious if I'm missing something. It just felt like every time I did something all it was was dropping five cards down and maybe buying something sort of interesting from the row or taking on the super villain over and over again. I get that you want to grab stuff that your hero synergises with, but overall I felt it was a completely hollow experience that had next to no interaction with other people.

You aren't missing anything.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

House Louse posted:

TG used to have game design contests, there should be one that's "make a good game from the components of these worthless ones".

I feel like Risk has the components for a better game, one just needs to be invented.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

foxxtrot posted:

I *really* want to try FCM. I signed up on BoardgameCore (as foxxtrot), anyone want to play?

What player count you want? I just finished a game and can do another.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

foxxtrot posted:

I'm coolcorn on BGC, feel free to invite me

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fat Turkey posted:

I feel like Risk has the components for a better game, one just needs to be invented.

Risk Legacy :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

In other news, got to play my fresh copy of FCM on the weekend even though we just did the training wheels version of it, it was a blast. It was great to feel the gears turning and balancing what the various roles do and how to build the engine that suits you best. I have a question about drinks though: Is it just an opportunity to sell another item at the same time as whatever good they're hungering for? And with regard to ads: do people play billboards/mailers etc. aggressively either A) next to opponents' houses to influence their target audiences into buying from your stores or B) to make them want something like lemonade that your opponent cannot provide? Also, let's say you had two billboards, one advertising pizza and one advertising burgers. Do the affected houses now want both burgers and pizza simultaneously and would therefore not buy only one burger or one pizza?

It's sometimes good to do something that benefits your opponents (as long as it benefits you more) so yes yes & yes. I may have lost track of yeses but you get the idea I hope.

Drinks are distinct individual items just like pizza or burgers.

Houses go to the nearest cheapest (they will go 1 tile further to save 1$, two tiles to save 2$, etc) restaurant that can serve ALL their cravings at once. If no restaurant can, they do not eat and stay hungry.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

In other news, got to play my fresh copy of FCM on the weekend even though we just did the training wheels version of it, it was a blast. It was great to feel the gears turning and balancing what the various roles do and how to build the engine that suits you best. I have a question about drinks though: Is it just an opportunity to sell another item at the same time as whatever good they're hungering for? And with regard to ads: do people play billboards/mailers etc. aggressively either A) next to opponents' houses to influence their target audiences into buying from your stores or B) to make them want something like lemonade that your opponent cannot provide? Also, let's say you had two billboards, one advertising pizza and one advertising burgers. Do the affected houses now want both burgers and pizza simultaneously and would therefore not buy only one burger or one pizza?

The main difference with drinks compared to burgers/pizzas is how they're procured, otherwise yea, they're just another good to sell to people. In terms of using advertising offensively, you'd typically use it to prevent another player from taking a house, since in order to sell you have to meet a house's entire demand, which also answers your last question. Don't forget that selling at dinnertime and advertising both resolve in numbered order, from lowest to highest.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

I also got to try out DC Deck Builder at a game meetup and I'm curious if I'm missing something. It just felt like every time I did something all it was was dropping five cards down and maybe buying something sort of interesting from the row or taking on the super villain over and over again. I get that you want to grab stuff that your hero synergises with, but overall I felt it was a completely hollow experience that had next to no interaction with other people.

Yes, that's the game. I find deckbuilding to be a naturally satisfying mechanic so I enjoyed the half hour I killed playing it, but if you've already played other deckbuilders there's zero depth there.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Bottom Liner posted:

Three or four. Never played, expected to get destroyed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

Ditto for you, if you start another game, invite coolcorn

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

Aston do your turn on TTA :v:

Anyone want to do a new goongame of new TTA? I'm happy to start one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

thespaceinvader posted:

I'll play.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

thespaceinvader posted:

I would be up for one.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm down if you're cool with someone that hasn't played nTTA, and hasn't played TTA in MANY YEARS.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Fat Turkey posted:

You can't drop that Mrs Brown's Boys bombshell, note the explanation was just 50 words yet impossible to win, and NOT tell us what those rules are!

It's a roll and move game, where on each square you need to complete a party game to move on. The party games are things like pictionary or charades where the active player has to convey a concept and get people to guess it correctly. The people who have to guess the correct answer? Your opponents. If they don't guess it correctly then you aren't allowed to move and need to try again next turn. If they do guess, then you are allowed to move. There is no gameplay incentive for your opponents to try to guess correctly.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Dirk the Average posted:

Any thoughts about City of Iron? I remember looking at it quite a while back after Rahdo did a runthrough on it, but I have no idea if it's a good game or not. Apparently it just got a second edition.

I backed the second edition and played it Sunday. Having only one play under my belt, I can't say if it has a lot of staying power, but I can definitely see a lot of potential. We played with 2 players, but I feel like 3 or 4 might end up being ideal, just to have more interaction on the goods tracks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Well I gave my copy of Risk away years ago but I do have a spare copy of Pandemic. Thinking cap on!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

T-Bone posted:

I'll play.

PBS Newshour posted:

I would be up for one.

Deathlove posted:

I'm down if you're cool with someone that hasn't played nTTA, and hasn't played TTA in MANY YEARS.
Title is Goon Game password is Stairs, first three players get in.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Pax Pamir for the first time ever, 5 players and I have to say I am impressed. We had a 3 Russian and 2 British split at the start but my early lead in Russian favour made my compratiots switch to Afghanistan. The game works much better than PaxPo at high player counts and it was much easier to keep track of who potentially was winning. The game feels very thematic and the constant jockeying for position was pretty exciting. The balance is interesting at higher player counts: although the empire with only 1 player will manage to build less, it doesn't have to worry about having its partner trying to gain influence over you.

The game did end up a bit kingmakey but the game overall is very worth it. Can't wait to play it again. Also I might get to have a go at 1849 next week.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

COOL CORN posted:

I'm coolcorn on BGC, feel free to invite me

foxxtrot posted:

Neither of you show up in the invite list but look for the 3 player open game from me (Bottom Liner).

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Bottom Liner posted:

Neither of you show up in the invite list but look for the 3 player open game from me (Bottom Liner).

I'm not seeing it, but I am seeing your name now, which I wasn't earlier. I've sent a new invite to both you and coolcorn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

House Louse posted:

TG used to have game design contests, there should be one that's "make a good game from the components of these worthless ones".

I have this game I call The Discovery of Fire. Everyone gets given a set of components from a lovely boardgame, and the first one to start a fire wins.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yay my copy of FCM arrived :toot:. The ordering page said that all the copies he received from splotter had dented corners which I was fine with but these look perfect? Unless the slight flattening of one or two of the utmost pointy edges counts as "dented", I was expecting rather more significant damage so score, happy all round

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jedit posted:

I have this game I call The Discovery of Fire. Everyone gets given a set of components from a lovely boardgame, and the first one to start a fire wins.

I think Prometheus actually lost that game in the long run.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

thespaceinvader posted:

In.

Ayn Randi posted:

Yay my copy of FCM arrived :toot:. The ordering page said that all the copies he received from splotter had dented corners which I was fine with but these look perfect? Unless the slight flattening of one or two of the utmost pointy edges counts as "dented", I was expecting rather more significant damage so score, happy all round

Yeah, mine was the same. It's barely noticeable.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 17, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

thespaceinvader posted:

Where are you guys playing nTTA? I can only find old TTA on BGA.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Boardgaming-online.com

I was seriously surprised at how fast it went up. FCM too. Props to the companies for allowing it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Question for the 18xx guys -- are the games on https://sites.google.com/site/aagamesllc/home/ordering-1 shipping in a reasonable time frame (like within a couple of weeks) or do they generally have large queues (specifically looking at 1889)?

e: I know it says that it ships within a week, but I was wondering if that was outdated, there seems to be conflicting info online.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 17, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Sweet. I'm in.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Question for the 18xx guys -- are the games on https://sites.google.com/site/aagamesllc/home/ordering-1 shipping in a reasonable time frame (like within a couple of weeks) or do they generally have large queues (specifically looking at 1889)?

e: I know it says that it ships within a week, but I was wondering if that was outdated, there seems to be conflicting info online.

I have not personally ordered from them but I've heard of people getting them in a month or faster.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Bottom Liner, you don't have PMs - want another round of FCM? Gutter Owl and I are up for it, I'm checking with Oldstench.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Is playing old tta a suitable intro to ntta if you want to see if you'd like ntta or is it so changed that it's better to start with the new version?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Is playing old tta a suitable intro to ntta if you want to see if you'd like ntta or is it so changed that it's better to start with the new version?

Sure, but you should probably just be playing old TTA because it's a masterpiece of a game rather than as some bridge to something better. It isn't like FFG where each new version of a system fixes the thousands of things wrong with the last. TTA was pretty much perfect for what it wanted to be. The new version is a very mild patch on the old system and given the complexities of TTA it will be a long time before it's even clear if the new version is better or worse.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

T-Bone posted:

Dude works out of the BGG marketplace as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/669220

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Old TTA is still very playable and is a good game but nTTA has a lot of quality of life improvements, is much easier to play and better balanced all around. There's a reason why I'm trying to sell my oTTA copy. But yes, playing oTTA will tell you if you like nTTA or not because in the end they are exactly the same America with only some alterations.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I think there should be a general embargo on FCM talk, because it's making me jealous.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Esposito posted:

I think there should be a general embargo on FCM talk, because it's making me jealous.

Then get in a game on http://play.boardgamecore.net and don't miss out anymore.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I wish BoardGameCore had a way to email notify me when it's my turn. Or email other players when it's their turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

COOL CORN posted:

I wish BoardGameCore had a way to email notify me when it's my turn. Or email other players when it's their turn.

That's your job! Annoy your friends endlessly!