Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Stallion Cabana posted:

I realized earlier today I've never read an actual good translation of Part 4. I read the DUWANG translations, but there are better ones out there, right? I'm not asking for :filez: or anything, just confirming that I can probably find better translations of JoJo somewhere.

Batoto has the invincible trio one already mentioned. You have to register to see it.

http://jojocoloredadventure.blogspot.com.br/2014/08/download-our-latest-releases.html

Color version there, using invincible trio for the most part with a few exceptions where it was translated by the guy working on Vento Aureo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

http://strawberry-jan.tumblr.com/post/139461867379/everyone-continued-to-be-disappointed-in-joseph

In retrospect, the biggest crime Araki ever committed was not letting Holly meet with her half-brother.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Moltrey posted:

Jolyne lights herself on fire and unravels her body into string to fit inside her friend's body.

:allears: Jolyne

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://strawberry-jan.tumblr.com/post/139461867379/everyone-continued-to-be-disappointed-in-joseph

In retrospect, the biggest crime Araki ever committed was not letting Holly meet with her half-brother.

I just saw that too and I'm DYING

Amaryllis your stuff just gets better and better, though right now I think my all time favorite is the Oku Valentine's one for... obvious... reasons.
http://strawberry-jan.tumblr.com/post/138545650609/happy-february-the-first-in-a-series-of-goofy

e: going to dig that up showed me that I totally missed another valentine's comic that you did, which is also great!!

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 17, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jolyne is the rawest motherfucker.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Moltrey posted:

Jolyne is the rawest motherfucker.

I'm not a big fan of Part 6, but Jolyne is the most hardcore, best Jojo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's okay to link to Jojo parts that aren't officially out in English yet.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not a big fan of Part 6, but Jolyne is the most hardcore, best Jojo.
The only reason I rank Josuke and Johnny higher than her is because I feel they have better writing and character arcs backing them up. It took Araki way too long to make a female JoJo but when he did, it was something special.

e: jolyne's cool here's a cool jolyne cosplay https://twitter.com/imoutofu/status/692800271479545857

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 17, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Do you think Jolyne gets pissed at Jotaro's one-liners the same way Jotaro got pissed at Holly's motherly attitude?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

The only reason I rank Josuke and Johnny higher than her is because I feel they have better writing and character arcs backing them up. It took Araki way too long to make a female JoJo but when he did, it was something special.

I'd like Josuke best no matter what but always feel compelled to explain that the reason I rank Jolyne lower is more because she is pretty drat great but it just never totally comes together for me in that part. I really wish I could love Stone Ocean more.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Do you think Jolyne gets pissed at Jotaro's one-liners the same way Jotaro got pissed at Holly's motherly attitude?

It always feels like she's just a couple bad jokes away from Jotaro Kujo humor so I think she might actually secretly be more of her father's daughter when it comes to awful jokes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It always feels like she's just a couple bad jokes away from Jotaro Kujo humor so I think she might actually secretly be more of her father's daughter when it comes to awful jokes.

That'd be exactly why she hates him for it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
jolyne owns and stone ocean owns, it has insanely hardcore fights and some of the goofiest stands in the series. it's also dramatically appropriate that both the first and the last joestar to stand up to dio's schemes heroically sacrifice themselves to save a cute blonde

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'd like Josuke best no matter what but always feel compelled to explain that the reason I rank Jolyne lower is more because she is pretty drat great but it just never totally comes together for me in that part. I really wish I could love Stone Ocean more.
I'll totally admit that Part 6 is not as cohesive as I'd like it to be, but gently caress if it's not a ride. I'm so glad Part 7 happened the way it did cause I probably couldn't take another Stone Ocean, but it was fun while it lasted.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
kabutomushi

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Like Part 6 is this loving whirlwind of fantasy concepts like growing a baby out of a bone and then saying 14 words to it so it will capture 36 souls which it will use to affect gravity at Cape Canaveral which you can use to reset the universe and also this dude's turning people into snails and the Miami Dolphins are coming up out of the ground, there are invisible zombies somewhere, this dead girl is being controlled by plankton and holy poo poo.

That panel of Hermes yelling "There's some weird poo poo going on!"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Jonathan was really good at taking a hit like a champ, I feel like Jolyne inherited Jonathan's tankiness

Yeah, other jojos get hurt pretty fuckin bad, but drat with Jolyne it just felt way more brutal than anything that happened with the rest.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Unrelatedly, I hope that whenever they fully dub Stardust Crusaders, that they turn Fake Captain Tennille into a Hulk Hogan impersonator, brrrrother.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
LP is up enjoy pooping on me
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764681

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I've been re-reading Vento Aureo, and I just realized something crazy. The entirety of Part 5, 17 volumes from start to finish, takes place over the course of just four days. Like, holy poo poo, the Gang Stars are fighting off 4-5 stands a day. Mista gets shot six times in one day, but after a few hours, there's no longer any visible consequences whatsoever, and that's before Giorno even levels up his Gold Experience.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's strange how it's always sort of like that with injuries but even moreso with Vento. Maybe it's because I've never really read it at a particularly leisurely pace but the timespan seemed readily apparent to me if only because everything seemed sort of frantic. I think that might contribute to the sort of frustration people have cited with the ending, when it seems like it just builds and builds and doesn't totally pay off (I disagree - I was looking at the last bits last night and thinking that I like it more and more? but I like Diavolo, I'm weird).

The timespan is also why certain characters should be given a bit more of a break when it comes to not totally trusting Giorno/wanting to go along with his plans. *coughs* free Fugo *coughs*

e: also with vento for gently caress's sake bruno disassembles his whole body on a train and this is just... it just IS. What the hell even. Man I love Grateful Dead.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I guess it's just that every other part spanned at least a month, so there's implied downtime between fights, and I got to pretend that's long enough for Polnareff to heal from getting torn apart by Ebony Devil, and so on. That's what made it so jarring that there explicitly isn't any such downtime in Vento Aureo.

If we're listing our favorite small moments from Vento Aureo, I'd like to submit this page where Purple Haze punches Illuso in the face and it just falls off like a cheap mask. It's like Araki decided to take the level of violence that was previously limited only to final boss fights, and apply that to every single fight in Part 5. Such is the gang star life.

P.S. I quite liked the ending of Vento Aureo, but it really falls flat in the bad translations, as much as I hate having to say that about Part 5.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 17, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"It was at that moment Illuso realized he'd made a terrible mistake."

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Iirc wasn't part 5 in vanilla shonenjump jump? Crazy they could let him do that violence

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
Yeah, Part 5 was in vanilla jump, and so was Part 6 iirc. How did he get away with some of those brutal fights?

Moltrey posted:

I'll totally admit that Part 6 is not as cohesive as I'd like it to be, but gently caress if it's not a ride. I'm so glad Part 7 happened the way it did cause I probably couldn't take another Stone Ocean, but it was fun while it lasted.
Pretty much sums up how I feel. I'm re-reading SO right now and there's all sorts of stuff that I forgot was really cool in the first 4-5 volumes (i.e. every fight, Jolyne, seeing Jolyne sass her dad relentlessly). But there's also stuff like Whitesnake melting everyone once and then never again(?), Emporio showing up and acting like he knows what's going to happen (was that supposed to be connected to his surviving a couple of universe resets, before Araki fleshed out how that worked?), Emporio's mom's bone (which seemed really important but then just woke Jolyne up)... And those were just the weird things that I'd forgotten about. Jolyne still owns, though.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

[Nice stuff about comics.]
:3: Aaaaa, thank you! (That first one was my favourite to draw, also for obvious reasons.)

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Diavolo liker checking in: just picked up these Bastards

I adore these two bastards' designs. glad they're so disliked so I could pick em up for cheap. I gotta work on Diavolo's posing but regardless of what I do I'll be tweaking it for years so this'll do for now

hambeef fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 17, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Posing those suckers well is a serious undertaking. Looks nice, though! I like King Crimson's design, too.

And yeah, I forgot 5 was still in a tame publication. The face falling off is scary and while I love Risotto Nero forever, his Stand makes me super queasy.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 17, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's a nice pair of SAS. King Crimson owns.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Amaryllis posted:

Yeah, Part 5 was in vanilla jump, and so was Part 6 iirc. How did he get away with some of those brutal fights?

I get the impression that what Jump allows has changed since then.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I imagine Araki was also afforded some leniency by virtue of having been with the magazine so long.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

hambeef posted:

I adore these two bastards' designs. glad they're so disliked so I could pick em up for cheap. I gotta work on Diavolo's posing but regardless of what I do I'll be tweaking it for years so this'll do for now
I will never get over how perfectly cool and dumb King Crimson looks. Like, a being that can cause time to skip just looking super pissed off and distressed with a smaller pissed off face on it's forehead is just....perfect

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he looks like an ice cream cone with two scoops of face

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how his eyes are all hosed up too

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

hambeef posted:

Diavolo is not a very good character but his design is top-notch. King Crimson is obviously just the best.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Naerasa posted:

Diavolo is not a very good character but his design is top-notch. King Crimson is obviously just the best.
I want Diavolo's hair so bad.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Moltrey posted:

I want Diavolo's hair so bad.

I actually tried to do the zigzag part once. It does not look very good on a real human being.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vryhTGJzNVk

Eyes of Heaven Josuke hair insults.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Amaryllis posted:

Emporio showing up and acting like he knows what's going to happen (was that supposed to be connected to his surviving a couple of universe resets, before Araki fleshed out how that worked?)

this is supposed to be what his deal was? holy poo poo, I didn't realize

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Did Funny Valentine and his goons kill the most protagonists in a Jojo part?

like I know Dio killed tons of people off screen, but I think out of all of the antagonists, Funny Valentine and his cronies actively killed the most protagonists and such, right? Like I don't even think it's close, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Naerasa posted:

I actually tried to do the zigzag part once. It does not look very good on a real human being.
God I have never noticed his zigzag part?? I just want to have long, flowing pink hair with green specs in it and look hot when wearing a fishnet top.

I would also accept getting Cars' hair. Cars' hair reveal was the best part about him.