Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Bloodbag: I am sorry dude, that is seriously rough.

You've been given good advice so far, and it sounds like you're going to take care of stuff as best they can be taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

Is it cold in the mountains outside L.A. This time of year?

It depends on the week this year. Normally it's cold in the mountains, but it's been in the mid to high 80's for the past week. The 7 day forecast has highs in the mid 60's in the mountains.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jumping on the death train, my uncle passed today. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 2 years ago and he was responding surprisingly well to treatment, showing little signs of the terminal diagnosis. Until this past weekend. He came back from the gym and was weak, couldn't eat, couldn't hold fluid, couldn't poop. They scanned him and his stomach had turned into one giant cancer and caused a major backup on the intestinal freeway. They removed his stomach yesterday, he didn't recover.

He was a good man, with the patience of a saint, and will be missed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goddamn, gently caress cancer. Sorry man :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Jumping on the death train, my uncle passed today. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 2 years ago and he was responding surprisingly well to treatment, showing little signs of the terminal diagnosis. Until this past weekend. He came back from the gym and was weak, couldn't eat, couldn't hold fluid, couldn't poop. They scanned him and his stomach had turned into one giant cancer and caused a major backup on the intestinal freeway. They removed his stomach yesterday, he didn't recover.

He was a good man, with the patience of a saint, and will be missed.

I'm sorry to hear it :( gently caress cancer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My aunt is in the hospital on a respirator trying to hang on while doctors try to figure out what the hell is wrong with her. She's had heart issues for awhile now but they have never been able to get to the root of the problem. Really hoping she pulls through.

She took me to my first concert ever when I was 14, Iron Maiden on their Powerslave tour. I will never forget that poo poo as long as I live.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

literally a fish, that video is fantastic and I will watch it again, and would watch a longer one.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Passed my piss test today! They really do do randoms cuz my boss was at the clinic when I left getting randomed, so no weed for me in the near future. Not that I care at this point since it has been so long. New year, new me!

Aaaaaaaaaand a mouse trap just exploded next to me with a twitching rear end mouse in it and I screamed like a bitch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is this the same crazy rear end in a top hat that keeps trying to trade for your MS6?

Nah, this is the guy who bought an X90 for $400 and tried to sell it for $3000 a month later.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Someone siphoned half a tank of gas out of my car then nicked the Valentine's card my mum sent us

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Passed my piss test today! They really do do randoms cuz my boss was at the clinic when I left getting randomed, so no weed for me in the near future. Not that I care at this point since it has been so long. New year, new me!

Congrats and good luck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

My aunt is in the hospital on a respirator trying to hang on while doctors try to figure out what the hell is wrong with her. She's had heart issues for awhile now but they have never been able to get to the root of the problem. Really hoping she pulls through.

She took me to my first concert ever when I was 14, Iron Maiden on their Powerslave tour. I will never forget that poo poo as long as I live.

That loving sucks dude. My sister has some weird neuro issue that's the same way...she's in her early 50s and is on a walker when she can actually move, and doctors have no loving clue. Good luck man.

In other news...gently caress you're old dude. Still gonna have a beer though.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Bloodbag: that's a rough story man, hang in there. It's been super warm around here lately so you should be OK. As a side, if you guys do get out to decompress and explore LA, I work at a nice, quiet, semi-touristy spot a bit closer to San Bern (Pasadena-ish). I'd be glad to set you and the wife loose inside to wander and get your mind off things :)

Fish: dude that satellite time lapse is extremely my poo poo. Definitely do it and keep us in the loop.

SAC: congrats man, good work. Keep it up.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

The Locator posted:

Congrats and good luck.

Thanks dude! Gonna have to borrow some cash from my bro to pay the bills this month but should be able to pay him back fairly quickly once I start. The plan is to pay off a bunch of debt (had to spend the money I saved up from sub-contracting this summer ) and pay off my taxes , pay off my phone and switch to Straight Talk, save up a few months worth of cash and go from there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Bloodbag: that's a rough story man, hang in there. It's been super warm around here lately so you should be OK. As a side, if you guys do get out to decompress and explore LA, I work at a nice, quiet, semi-touristy spot a bit closer to San Bern (Pasadena-ish). I'd be glad to set you and the wife loose inside to wander and get your mind off things :)

Fish: dude that satellite time lapse is extremely my poo poo. Definitely do it and keep us in the loop.

SAC: congrats man, good work. Keep it up.

gently caress dude, how many of us are there?

Also I've been to LA but have to take the wife to Glendale next week. Any idea how that place is?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Okay, I knew hostels tend to stay up late, but I'm in my room (6 beds, with 1 vacant), and only 1 other person is actually in here. These people follow my sleep schedule :neckbeard: except I got about 3 hours of sleep last night so I'm actually exhausted before 3am...

Any Austin goons know of 24 hour restaurants on Guadalupe? Preferably near 26th? I tried to go to the Kerbey Lane next door, but they had a huge line and it was 30 minutes before close. I've already paid for one Lyft tonight, I'd rather not pay for another...

e: damnit, forgot my HDMI cable, and the common room has a TV with HDMI in. I have netflix and plex on my laptop, they have a VCR in there..

iwentdoodie posted:

I didn't think he was much older than me?

Oh wait... yeah I'm dangerously close to being an old, aren't I?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 17, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I didn't know they had hostels in the USA. Learn some new everyday!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

They do, but most tend to be heavily commercialized, and you only find them in tourist cities. NYC, bay area, etc. There's four in Austin; one is HI, the rest are independent. The one I'm in is pretty close to downtown, while the others I looked at were in east Austin.

DFW has one "hostel", and it has nothing but complaints on hostelworld (it's more like a garage that someone threw some bunk beds into).

The one I'm staying at is actually pretty nice, if not a bit pricey. But even the cheapest hotel in the immediate area I'm at would be $100+ a night, whereas I'm paying... $29, and can walk drat near everywhere I want to go (for the places a bit too far, there's a bus stop right in front, and I have a bunch of credits with Lyft). The wifi is decent, the beds are shockingly comfortable, and the ac keeps this room cold enough that I'm actually wanting to use the blanket they provided. It's kinda noisy, but I have earplugs from when I lived in dorms.

e: there's a tattoo shop next door too. So tempting...
e2: oh god never rip rear end when you're on the bottom bunk it's trapped down here with me gently caress

Congrats on the job!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 17, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress dude, how many of us are there?

Also I've been to LA but have to take the wife to Glendale next week. Any idea how that place is?

I'm not super familiar with glendale but it's nice enough in my experience. My family's favorite restaurant growing up was Damons Steakhouse right on the main drag, and it's still a fun old-cali tiki/Polynesian style joint. The food is pretty good, the Mai tais are strong and it's one of the last kitschy retro places like that left around here since they closed Bahookas. There's a big car show/cruise night once a year that my dad usually takes his Bronco to, but that's not for a few months.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well through a series of experiments it now looks like I've become slightly lactose intolerant :(

Milk in tea or coffee, no problem. Latte, problem.
Cream in any quantities, problem.
Straight drink 100mls of milk, major problem.
Cheese other than mozzarella, crippling problem.

This sucks, I love milk and cheese and I don't have any other allergies or dietary nonsense. My lasagne recipe has cheese and cheese sauce in it, pizza's with mozzarella only don't taste quite right. This is going to be annoying.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

some texas redneck posted:

I'm 29, and he's an old to me...so yeah you're an old. But it's just a number. I act like an octogenarian in most situations.

Except sleep. Its now 2330 and I wake up at 0430, and I'm finally going to bed. Because rereading Terry pratchett books is far more important.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Well through a series of experiments it now looks like I've become slightly lactose intolerant :(

This sucks, I love milk and cheese and I don't have any other allergies or dietary nonsense. My lasagne recipe has cheese and cheese sauce in it, pizza's with mozzarella only don't taste quite right. This is going to be annoying.

Good job on pinpointing what you can and cannot eat. Good friend of mine also suddenly (in his early thirties) developed some sort of milk allergy. It might not be the lactose, I believe he's intolerant to certain dairy proteins, so maybe pester your doctor until you guys figure out exactly what the problem is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks, all I know is certain cheeses, certain amounts of milk/milk fat sets me off. I'll see the doctor later this month to discuss it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
It helps to remember that humans are not naturally able to process lactose beyond young age; a phenomena in europe means that white populations (because they kept drinking milk, unlike Asian populations) developed lactase persistence while Asian populations didn't, so lactose intolerance as an adult is actually overwhelmingly the norm for mammals.

gently caress we're weird. And awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:argh: I fall to see the awesome part of being unable to eat mountains of greasy cheesy pizzas.

Could be worse I suppose.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I put this on as the soundtrack to the video. Enjoyed immensely. https://soundcloud.com/reso/sprite-city-ambient-version

Also if I were allergic to cheese I'd be very unhappy. On occasions I'll just throw a chopped up block of halloumi under the grill because cheese. :(

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Thanks, all I know is certain cheeses, certain amounts of milk/milk fat sets me off. I'll see the doctor later this month to discuss it.

I've always been like this. Truthfully I feel like it just made the bond between my butt and my toilet seat all the better.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

Give these a shot. I haven't tried them but a guy I knew in college used em and was a fan. https://www.lactaid.com/products/fast-act-chewables

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Cakefool posted:

This is exactly my issue with lactose. Start ordering those pizzas with light cheese and give up on drinking milk or eating cereal!

I realized it when I ate cereal late at night and woke up by going from full sleep to bolt upright awake because my mouth was full of puke.

Being old sucks :mad:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Cooking for a lactose intolerant person for like 2 years learned me the following:
  • Goat butter is goddamned delicious
  • Lactaid milk is your bestest friend
  • Goat cheese is a-okay and available in nearly all varieties at co-ops
  • You'll learn a lot about goats

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I have a friend who sweats profusely when he eats cheese. If it is something like cheddar, the sharper it is the more he sweats. It's loving bizarre.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't know about lactose intolerance, but I know about getting gall stones from greasy food. So much pain you kind of want to hit yourself with a brick so you pass out.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand a mouse trap just exploded next to me with a twitching rear end mouse in it and I screamed like a bitch.

How about no weed or drug at alllaaaahahahahaha who am I kidding

Congrats on pissing clean. Major accomplishment.

I'm in a salty mood today for some reason.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You die an awesomely tragic early death, it was cool but you're dead. You find yourself in hell because you said the F word too many times.

Do you:
A) Have to install race seats into cars for the rest of eternity, or
B) Have to get snap rings out of spindles/suspension knuckles for the rest of eternity.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Lol how old did you think I was?

some texas redneck posted:

I'm not quite over the hill yet but I'm getting there. I turn 45 this march :smith:

I've always had a baby face so I have that going for me. People never believe me when I tell them how old I am :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

You die an awesomely tragic early death, it was cool but you're dead. You find yourself in hell because you said the F word too many times.

Do you:
A) Have to install race seats into cars for the rest of eternity, or
B) Have to get snap rings out of spindles/suspension knuckles for the rest of eternity.

C) be stuck on Miata.net forever

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

D) Have every website turned into forums.vwvortex.com

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thankfully I make my own pizzas. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big problem.

E: literallyafish: that video is amazing, please do the full version.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 17, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

C) Deal with Miatas and their owners forever.

Seriously, I worked in a Miata specific shop for over a year and there is nothing worse than Miata owners trying to nickel and dime you to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Miata owners are cheap bastards who don't like hearing that things cost money.

• Locked thread