Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
iirc they're just going to drop some lovely to average gear appropriate for a fresh 60 on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

andrew smash posted:

iirc they're just going to drop some lovely to average gear appropriate for a fresh 60 on you.

That sounds pretty fair. It's not like it won't get replaced by quest drops soon anyway. I'm just gonna beeline straight for Battle Mage's Baton and never look back.
Any word on the money situation? Even the cheap post-2.4.3 mounts, that's still 30g more than a starting player has.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Serperoth posted:

That sounds pretty fair. It's not like it won't get replaced by quest drops soon anyway. I'm just gonna beeline straight for Battle Mage's Baton and never look back.
Any word on the money situation? Even the cheap post-2.4.3 mounts, that's still 30g more than a starting player has.

again, iirc, you get riding trained and a 60% ground mount dropped on you as well

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
dropping any money on you would be weird because it would encourage just rolling characters for gold.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Tanners posted:

Anyways, I propose we do try and foster both guilds and see which one ends up being more successful, instead of playing this awkward game where we try and shame people for wanting to play their faction and have people tossing insults at people for ruining their raiding aspirations.

Can we still shame them for picking Gnome?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I'm definitely in for Alliance just because I've never leveled an ally past like 45, but if we go horde so be it.

Also it seems like they giving you some starter gear that sells for nothing, much like the Algalon starter gear. Hopefully it actually has stats unlike the algalon greens though. Either way HFP is completely set up to give you a full set of TBC greens like halfway through the zone so it won't matter.

That first few days is going to be out of loving control though. Everyone channeled into 1 zone with zero alternatives.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 15, 2016

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

CongoJack posted:

dropping any money on you would be weird because it would encourage just rolling characters for gold.

If you can create a level 60 rogue/hunter with no effort, it will not be hard to get gold at all.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
I'd also like to encourage people to create a new account for each of their alts. There is literally no detriment. You can run your own guy through stuff. If you happen to level enchanting, you can enchant your alts gear. And it's always nice to have more accounts with characters at the level cap in the event that you quit and you're a cool person who wants to give their account to a goon who was a little late to the party.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RocktheCaulk posted:

Was Pally tank a thing in TBC? No one would ever let me pally tank in LGW but to be fair I usually fell asleep during the raids and did /follow on someone

It is slightly better than vanilla but not very. In TBC there is a skill called spiritual attunement that returns mana to the paladin for however much healing is received. The awful part is that this skill works conversely with gear (if you have better gear and don't need as much healing, you don't get as much mana back). This led to highly geared paladin tanks taking off their pants for 5-mans. Not like I ever wore pants while I was raiding with LGW, but that's a different story.

Also a lot of boss fights in TBC just assumed you had a warrior main tank (Illidan had an ability that assumed your tank had shield block or something). It wasn't until WotLK that they decided all 4 tanking classes (war, druid, paladin, DK) should be viable raid tanks.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
It's way better than it was in vanilla, but I don't remember how well it works at low gear levels. The real strength was effortlessly tanking everything by way of consecrating everything, which made 5-mans go waaay faster. It was harder to gear for raid bosses because holy shield didn't give as much block % as shield block, so it took longer to get to 102% avoidance to ensure no crushing blows got through, and you also wanted a spell damage weapon for aggro purposes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Good to hear about the mounts and gear.

Mazz posted:

I'm definitely in for Alliance just because I've never leveled an ally past like 45, but if we go horde so be it.

Also it seems like they giving you some starter gear that sells for nothing, much like the Algalon starter gear. Hopefully it actually has stats unlike the algalon greens though. Either way HFP is completely set up to give you a full set of TBC greens like halfway through the zone so it won't matter.

IIRC, you're much weaker at 58 with no gear, to the point where a single mob is a real risk. And I played a Mage, I wouldn't want to imagine a Warrior trying to fight a mob like that. It fixes itself soon, but it definitely needs a leg up.

ZIGfried posted:

I'd also like to encourage people to create a new account for each of their alts. There is literally no detriment. You can run your own guy through stuff. If you happen to level enchanting, you can enchant your alts gear. And it's always nice to have more accounts with characters at the level cap in the event that you quit and you're a cool person who wants to give their account to a goon who was a little late to the party.

It's also kind of :effort:. But definitely a good idea to have at least 2 accounts, since it's free, even if it's one for your main + bank and the other for, say, two alts.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I think I read that we still have to train professions from level 1. Is that right?

Regarding tanks, my husband was one of our guild's main tanks (druid) in TBC. We did all the raid content except Sunwell, and he was in my permagroup for 5-mans, and I had no problems healing a druid tank. I preferred it; the mitigation was awesome. Also some bosses (Hydross comes to mind) were pretty good for druid tanks who could farm/make/wear the resist gear needed.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Desmond posted:

I think I read that we still have to train professions from level 1. Is that right?

Yes, I think someone mentioned that earlier in the thread.

Forgive me if this was earlier in the thread, but will this server be PvE or PvP? Just wondering so that I can prepare myself accordingly

Cnidario fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 15, 2016

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I used to absolutely love having paladin tanks in TBC 5 mans. In an expansion that was generally heavily focused on CC in 5 mans it was great to just storm through an instance aoeing everything down.

Tanners posted:

I'm gonna go against everything I've said in the past here, and say I think we should encourage both factions for once.

Oh god its ahppening again

hit button fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 15, 2016

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh yeah I forgot that paladins were best tanks for shattered halls

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I'll be rolling on PlayTBC and living the enhance shaman dream on whichever faction has tanners because wow is only fun when I get to be mean to tanners.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Mazz posted:

That first few days is going to be out of loving control though. Everyone channeled into 1 zone with zero alternatives.

This.

At least Algalon had two different zones to start in if you started from 70, plus a good chunk of people didn't want to spend cash and started from level 1 anyway. If the server gets any sort of population, HFP is gonna be ridiculous.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Cnidario posted:

Forgive me if this was earlier in the thread, but will this server be PvE or PvP? Just wondering so that I can prepare myself accordingly
It is pvp.

I was going to roll a druid but already have one in case someday Nost opens a TBC server. I'm leaning toward hunter or rogue this time. Maybe resto shaman, though I already raided with one in regular TBC. It's actually kind of hard to decide.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
When I raided back in retail TBC we had a paladin tank for our offtank and he tanked tons of stuff including Brutalus so don't be discouraged from making one if it sounds cool.

I want to make a ret paladin again, it was really fun but man the DPS was bad. I'll make it on the horde this time so at least I'll have seal of blood.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Paladin tanks can do some pretty goddamn crazy aoe shenanigans in TBC as well.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Mazz posted:

This is pretty much the selling point for me. I loved the chaos of TBC launch, and I can't wait to just be a dickhead and gank people (who will all have the same gear, making it roughly fair fights) all day. Alliance or Horde, count me in as a Rogue!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh man I didn't even think about that. No gear disparity and everyone being forced into one zone on a PvP server is going to be loving METAL.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Ya I'm happy to roll on either side with instant 60. I've never played ally but would like to take the OP human 10%rep racial.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

mewse posted:

Oh yeah I forgot that paladins were best tanks for shattered halls

LETS BE METAL AS gently caress PALLY TANKS THEN

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

mrking posted:

Ya I'm happy to roll on either side with instant 60. I've never played ally but would like to take the OP human 10%rep racial.

I just remembered in early TBC having to get to honored before running heroics and how much heroics were hard in pre-raid gear!

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
It's revered, it got nerfed to honored later. Both playTBC and Corecraft are going to make it reverted again on their launch.

Edit - Speaking of Corecraft, if you want to mess around on a very stable BC server the Corecraft test server has been open to all for a while now. I used it to setup my addons so I don't have to mess with them on playTBC launch.

Lant fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 16, 2016

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh man I didn't even think about that. No gear disparity and everyone being forced into one zone on a PvP server is going to be loving METAL.

Yeah, people trying to level are probably going to just farm dungeons (and get the bonus rep, save quest rep for the push to revered).

Not sure if there's any out of the way mobs that can be farmed at level 60 that might also give rep. You could probably successfully farm Sporegar and Cenarion Expedition rep fresh at 60 from killing bog lords for tendrils and unidentified plants in southwest or northeast Zangarmarsh.

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Might be the wrong thread but I can't find anything else. What's the consensus best WotLK server?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lant posted:

It's revered, it got nerfed to honored later. Both playTBC and Corecraft are going to make it reverted again on their launch.

Edit - Speaking of Corecraft, if you want to mess around on a very stable BC server the Corecraft test server has been open to all for a while now. I used it to setup my addons so I don't have to mess with them on playTBC launch.

How does one connect to corecraft? The info seems to be hidden on their website/forums

e: it's in their IRC topic

quote:

set realmlist 51.255.39.242

e2: also you have to go to their irc and type !account to get an account

mewse fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 16, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unicom posted:

Might be the wrong thread but I can't find anything else. What's the consensus best WotLK server?

Algalon was, not sure if that's still the case.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

Unicom posted:

I had a great time on Algalon when it was fresh but I don't think it would be too friendly to a new person these days. You must clear naxx10 to get into Ulduar10 (or 25 for 25). Same thing of beating ulduar to get to ToC. I logged on a couple weeks ago and got denied a spot in Naxx25 because I didn't know my gear score. The funny part is I haven't needed Naxx25 gear since late 2014, I was just running it for fun. As someone who consistently plays their class well, I always hated gear score. If you can deal with that I highly recommend the server.

Theater of Dreams is a brand new WotLK server. I haven't played it personally but I've heard mixed reviews on reddit, mostly positive. Most of the bad reviews are directed towards the high volume of polish speaking players. That is the server I would play if you want a good progressive experience. They are on naxx content and will roll out the other raids later. I cannot speak to the Quality of the end game (no one can yet). Algalon end game was high quality.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm screwing around on a private Cata Server - Atlantiss - if anyone wants to derp around like a moron with me. I'll barely be active, will probably not make it to level 20, and fall asleep during pivotal moments, but never played cata so want to see what it's like to be a steam punk werewolf I guess.

I also am very good, if you didn't notice, at run on sentences before I've had my coffee, in Utah.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

ZIGfried posted:

I had a great time on Algalon when it was fresh but I don't think it would be too friendly to a new person these days. You must clear naxx10 to get into Ulduar10 (or 25 for 25). Same thing of beating ulduar to get to ToC. I logged on a couple weeks ago and got denied a spot in Naxx25 because I didn't know my gear score. The funny part is I haven't needed Naxx25 gear since late 2014, I was just running it for fun. As someone who consistently plays their class well, I always hated gear score. If you can deal with that I highly recommend the server.

Theater of Dreams is a brand new WotLK server. I haven't played it personally but I've heard mixed reviews on reddit, mostly positive. Most of the bad reviews are directed towards the high volume of polish speaking players. That is the server I would play if you want a good progressive experience. They are on naxx content and will roll out the other raids later. I cannot speak to the Quality of the end game (no one can yet). Algalon end game was high quality.

I would suggest anyone looking for a Wrath server check out Theater of Dreams and make sure they don't have a sort of artificial inflation on mobs. Algalon did that to raid bosses hit points in order to increase the challenge. It turned previous bosses that were a joke into seriously annoying checks. It was the primary reason why I lost interest in it (that and they fixed the ret bug that made me do insane dps).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I feel like the big indicator of a TBC server is how well Karazhan works.

If the chess event isn't perfect, there will be hell to pay.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I base it on how fast is Abyssal Shelf Bombing Run set to, the faster the higher quality.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Hm huh what? A TBC server?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mewse posted:

How does one connect to corecraft? The info seems to be hidden on their website/forums

e: it's in their IRC topic

e2: also you have to go to their irc and type !account to get an account

I'm feeling like an absolute dumb, I can't find a way to download the client on Corecraft's site. :downs:

Can someone lend a hand?

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

Google "wow 2.4.3 client"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are we having a algalon reunion on a bc server now cuz i know u still want more fixins and i want to play wow again and i am so down just tell me which class is easiest and if i can be a officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
especially since zig was supposed to make a actual algalon reunion thread so we could run a 10 man ulduar and toc but he FAILED like a GOON

• Locked thread