Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it looks like garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Terraria Otherworld is really baffling to me. Why are they making a lame looking tower defense hybrid and not, you know, a straight up Terraria 2? Seems like you could pretty easily put Starbound into the starground with a Terraria that lets you teleport to multiple worlds.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Starbound is already in the Starground, chucklefish is just Weekend-at-Bernie's-ing its corpse around like it's still something that's ever going to go anywhere.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

LordZoric posted:

Terraria Otherworld is really baffling to me. Why are they making a lame looking tower defense hybrid and not, you know, a straight up Terraria 2? Seems like you could pretty easily put Starbound into the starground with a Terraria that lets you teleport to multiple worlds.

I think it's because it's not even done by the same team, just someone who wanted to borrow the name to make a few bucks off the brand.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

nerdz posted:

I think it's because it's not even done by the same team, just someone who wanted to borrow the name to make a few bucks off the brand.

Thats what we in the biz calls, Franchising.

also this is HOW you know starbound is far better than terraria, because you dont see them franchising their game out for quick petty cash

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

nerdz posted:

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better. I thought this was actually eating dev time away from a Terraria 2, which IIRC has already mentioned multiple worlds as a new feature.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

LordZoric posted:

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better. I thought this was actually eating dev time away from a Terraria 2, which IIRC has already mentioned multiple worlds as a new feature.

Considering the dev said in the last major update that hes going to be putting a lot more work into Terraria 1... i really dont think Terraria 2 is going to happen for years.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

That's almost better. I'm not too bothered that the game I spent 4.99 on in 2011 is still getting meaningful content added to it regularly.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Making Novakids glow a little bit is a fun thing, but I'm sure balance spergs will flip their poo poo about the unfair advantage.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A novakid's glow isn't even enough to illuminate more than one tiny bit around you though

read the update page, also cool, now there's a reason to be a novakid

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 11, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Starbound armor goes in three stages:

The plan:
"We want all races to be naturally equal, so there will be no native racial bonuses. However, these bonuses will be tied to the racial armors, which any race can trade for or potentially learn to craft themselves."
The reality:
"Armor is all equal and nothing is unique or interesting about it."
The update:
"Novakids glow now!!!"

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

THICK AND FAST

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cicadas! posted:

THICK AND FAST

Reminds me of how awkward it is when someone is describing something that intermittently gets VERY busy for short periods of time, like a crowd at a grocery store checkout or something. "It comes in spurts". Uh huh, nice.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Changing core gameplay concepts 3+ years into a game is a normal and reasonable thing to do.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

LordZoric posted:

Changing core gameplay concepts 3+ years into a game is a normal and reasonable thing to do.

Especially when they've never been settled in the first place

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I like to play dollhouse in Startown

I also like wires.

I hope an actual game gets made though.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Hylotl ship is best ship

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
EDIT: VVV Gotcha, never mind

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 16, 2016

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

It does not bear repeating and in fact did not need to be said in the first place.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

EvilDrWong posted:

It does not bear repeating and in fact did not need to be said in the first place.

Yeah shame on you for talking about Starbound in the Starbound thread, for discussion about Starbound.

Ag Bengip posted:

This has probably been pointed out before ITT, but I think it bears repeating: I can't even begin to wrap my head around the reasoning behind the aesthetics of some of the civilisations. These are all supposedly advanced, spacefaring species, yet at least half of them don't even have the slightest suggestion of that level of technology in their towns or other cultural artifacts. They fly around in pyramids, castles and steam engines with no apparent function to govern form. There are unjustified anachronisms everywhere that completely disrupt any chance of a coherent tone. While I get that it's supposed to be wacky and silly, it's honestly not even particularly funny.

Much of the art is very neat, though, and decorating your ship is a lot of fun once you've gone through the painful process of grinding it to the highest level. Probably the only enjoyable part of the game at this point, IMO.

It's a recurring issue that the whole game design revolves around "wouldn't it be cool if...", without any actual consideration of interaction between thematic elements, mechanics, etc. But we've all been saying forever that Chucklefish just needs to figure out what they actually want this game to be, and then make that, instead of flip-flopping on every single possible design decision forever.

I hope when the Story update comes, the game will actually have some level of coherence, but history shows that's not likely. Was still worth tooling around in, I guess.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Oh no, my :spergin: survived

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

No seriously, that's fair criticism. Not much compared to all the other problems in this whole mess, but besides whatever distant vision decades in the making Chucklefish has in store for us, there are almost no* spaceships, or space-travel related anything in the game besides what the player has. No hints of any kind how all these races travelled all over the place.

*The exceptions being the penguin boss, and the outpost.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It's a bit generous to call it a discussion when it's just page after page of parroting the same points in different ways between (entertaining) shitposting, that's why it doesn't really bear repeating because it hasn't really been let go or forgotten.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Shameful.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Nothing starfaring you say? What about laser pickaxes! :sigh: They're going to have durability still, aren't they?

Wait, the way that sentence is structured makes it sound like they're backer rewards only? That's really lame for something that feels like it should be a part of the game from the very beginning.

Also, yet more art assets for our 1984 ape villages!

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

In between shitposting, I like to lament about what could have been.

Specifically, how this could have been a completed (and probably decent) game years ago. Instead we have slow backwards walking and bizarre decisions based around an extremely niche playstyle (Player versus Player).

I mean hell, with as many artist as they have, I'd settle for a pretty picture book instead of whatever unreasonable billion-feature supergame they apparently think they're capable of making.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

It feels like the features and assets they're adding are things that should come after the core gameplay is mostly intact. I'd at least think you'd want to finish the "Pretty much Terraria in space" features of the game, which is what sold a majority of people on the game. Then once that's done you can go around having fun in colonyvillle and creating your hardcore Dark Souls Symphony of the Night PvP game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LordZoric posted:

Nothing starfaring you say? What about laser pickaxes! :sigh: They're going to have durability still, aren't they?

Wait, the way that sentence is structured makes it sound like they're backer rewards only? That's really lame for something that feels like it should be a part of the game from the very beginning.

Also, yet more art assets for our 1984 ape villages!

They're weapons and items suggested by backers of a certain tier, not backer rewards only for those people

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

LordZoric posted:

It feels like the features and assets they're adding are things that should come after the core gameplay is mostly intact. I'd at least think you'd want to finish the "Pretty much Terraria in space" features of the game, which is what sold a majority of people on the game. Then once that's done you can go around having fun in colonyvillle and creating your hardcore Dark Souls Symphony of the Night PvP game.

That would be the sensible way of managing the development. In fairness, though, they are (or were) operating in the world of crowdfunded early access, where sensible development is apparently very hard to commit to while at the same time securing funding. On the other hand, didn't Tiy say at one point that Chucklefish had enough in the bank to maintain operations for, like, nine years? Was that before he came up with the brilliant idea of paying his employees?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just take Tiy and rub his face in the mess he made of Starbound, sternly repeating the words "bad. BAD" for emphasis

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The Glitch at least, have an nice excuse for that stuff.

They are all robots stuck in Method Acting Renaissance Faire mode, and glitch that gain clarity and go "Holy poo poo, we're ROBOTS, we can build loving laser guns and space ships!" are burned as witches. Building paradoxically advanced poo poo like robot livestock actually gets a reason put to it.

It's actually a nice little idea, or at least more thought into it than "Tribal plants!" or "Totalitarian society did it!". Or "Those hylotl cities are coming along eventually!", which will probably be no more space faring civilization ready than an Apex apartment complex.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Jackard posted:

Just take Tiy and rub his face in the mess he made of Starbound, sternly repeating the words "bad. BAD" for emphasis

Maybe chucklefish will rehome him too?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
To prison, I hope

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is customizable ships baseline now? Or are they atleast larger? I made a killer ship when the game was released with a mod.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Is customizable ships baseline now? Or are they atleast larger? I made a killer ship when the game was released with a mod.

Customizable ships aren't going to be built in (it messes with the way they expand, apparently) but you can upgrade them to HUGE sizes now.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

it's actually cool and fun that robots have castles and people fly around in pyramids and poo poo. how are some of you so loving spergy and broken that you don't immediately see that these are both neat and, given the rest of the game, deserve nor warrant any further explanation. there's so many good reasons criticize this game, you don't need to have a spegfit about neat parts jfc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like the cowboy starpeople and the castlebots and 1984 Kong

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Really, the orient fishpeople are the only true losers of the bunch. Just a bunch of complete assholes with ugly houses. It's a shame because they're my favorite race to play as just based on how they look.
At least they have a very nice ship.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 17, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Weren't there supposed to be different advantages to each race? Hylotl supposed to be able to breath underwater, Avians were supposed to take less fall damage or something, Glitch could ignore heat/cold longer, I guess the Novakids glow, no idea what the humans or Apex were supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

Weren't there supposed to be different advantages to each race? Hylotl supposed to be able to breath underwater, Avians were supposed to take less fall damage or something, Glitch could ignore heat/cold longer, I guess the Novakids glow, no idea what the humans or Apex were supposed to do.

They didn't want one race to have an advantage over the other. So they decided to have it based on racial armors that a particular race could start with, but other races could find the blueprints for eventually. This was scrapped and now apparently Novakids just glow and nobody else gets anything cool.

• Locked thread