Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

(If I recall correctly) the American version is an edit and the line is only actually said in the German dub, it's just such a funny and fitting line for that scene that it basically became fan-canon, leading to it being worked back into the US dub

Okay, weird. I thought it was funny because you don't normally say "poo poo" on children's cartoons back in the day and they let that one slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Final flash scene is great because it shows that vegeta's not a complete moron and is willing to play on someone's ego and it also helps establish perfect cell as a character, he's more than willing to take big risks to show off how perfect he is.

there's a lot of character in a short scene.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Dragon Team sub for the newest Super is out now. It's an enjoyable episode 'cos Jaco is fun. Liked seeing that flash back to Jaco manga times with Tight's and toddler Bulma too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Dragon Team sub for the newest Super is out now. It's an enjoyable episode 'cos Jaco is fun. Liked seeing that flash back to Jaco manga times with Tight's and toddler Bulma too.

If Bulma knew an alien patrolman since young childhood, why didn't she call him for help when the Sayjins were coming to Earth? Or ask to use his ship to fly to Namek?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rutibex posted:

If Bulma knew an alien patrolman since young childhood, why didn't she call him for help when the Sayjins were coming to Earth? Or ask to use his ship to fly to Namek?

Well, Mr. Rutibex, whenever you notice an error like that, a wizard did it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Jaco isn't really very strong, is he? He had more trouble against the Frieza soldiers than the other fighters did, he was probably even weaker at the time Raditz showed up, and weaker than that when Bulma last saw him. Plus he's a coward.

As to why she didn't ask for his ship...maybe she would have if Mr. Popo hadn't helped out?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Jaco said he couldn't handle an adult Saiyan in the manga. She had a ship to get to Namek with.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've seen that, it's just that it's not a joke, just a reference

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

References to something can also be a humorous joke if used in specific context. Many forms of comedy rely on the idea of either unexpectedly using or subverting a reference to another form of work in order to generate humor particles to fuel laughter engines.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Namtab posted:

I've seen that, it's just that it's not a joke, just a reference

When I know about a thing and somebody says the thing, Namtab, that's very funny. I clap my hands with glee and mail a dollar to Seth MacFarlane.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alternative interpretation: Cell saying "oh poo poo" is funny because of the delivery and also because he said "oh poo poo"

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
korean ch 9 is out

http://www.shencomics.com/archives/623914

Frost seems like a cool dude. Also he goes into xenomorph and then 4th form frieza. Based on the panel I have no clue wether goku went ssb o ssj2, I would assume blue but the hair looks more ssj2ish

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so far the 6th universe seems like a much friendlier place than the the 7th universe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Liking the design of Frost's "Frieza form 4"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

the culminator posted:

Frost seems like a cool dude. Also he goes into xenomorph and then 4th form frieza. Based on the panel I have no clue wether goku went ssb o ssj2, I would assume blue but the hair looks more ssj2ish

There's no such thing as SSB2. His hair is the same as it's always been in Super Saiyan Blue, and doesn't look like his Super Saiyan 2 hair (for reference, he has only a single bang of hair as SS2)

Also even without being able to read what it says the art makes it super-clear that Frost is a lot friendlier than Freeza. And he can transform just like Freeza, though that was obvious. I wonder if he'll go beyond his Final Form though, since I can't see him beating Goku like this and we know that Piccolo's facing Frost.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Monaghan posted:

so far the 6th universe seems like a much friendlier place than the the 7th universe.

Sounds about right.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Monaghan posted:

I'm starting to think that 6th a generally peaceful place and when Earth inevitably gets moved there all hell is going to break lose, because Goku has that effect.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's no such thing as SSB2. His hair is the same as it's always been in Super Saiyan Blue, and doesn't look like his Super Saiyan 2 hair (for reference, he has only a single bang of hair as SS2)

Also even without being able to read what it says the art makes it super-clear that Frost is a lot friendlier than Freeza. And he can transform just like Freeza, though that was obvious. I wonder if he'll go beyond his Final Form though, since I can't see him beating Goku like this and we know that Piccolo's facing Frost.

I didn't say anything about ssb2. Either way, the shading on his hair is off for it to be ssb, Theres a legit chance he just went regular old super saiyan

http://m.mangafox.me/manga/dragon_ball_chou/c007/10.html

Compare the shading in that page to the one we got here, completely different.

the culminator fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 17, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

the culminator posted:

I didn't say anything about ssb2. Either way, the shading on his hair is off for it to be ssb, Theres a legit chance he just went regular old super saiyan.

Oh whoops, I'm sorry, I misread. That said, he might've just gone regular Super Saiyan but there'd be very little reason to, considering Blue hasn't got higher Ki requirements or anything. I'm not sure about the shading or not, that could be due to the quality of the scans, and the darker hair in your link could be due to his aura flaring up.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Saiyans fight in whichever form will give them the most challenge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a rough +quick translation done by someone from /a/

http://pastebin.com/39cuRrVY

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

the culminator posted:

korean ch 9 is out

http://www.shencomics.com/archives/623914

This made me so happy. I love that form, it's the best Frieza form. So monster.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Monaghan posted:

mikeycp posted:

I'm starting to think that 6th a generally peaceful place and when Earth inevitably gets moved there all hell is going to break lose, because Goku has that effect.

Calling it: Universe 7 is actually the "Evil Twin" Universe. Goku is the true (unintentional) source of its evils. :tinfoil:

Goddamn, Xenomorph form getting an actual chunk of a fight in? That's amazing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

StrifeHira posted:

Calling it: Universe 7 is actually the "Evil Twin" Universe. Goku is the true (unintentional) source of its evils. :tinfoil:

Goddamn, Xenomorph form getting an actual chunk of a fight in? That's amazing.

I hope they pad the poo poo out of that in the anime. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Going by episode names, these two fights are actually very short by DB standards.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Why is literal Winnie the Pooh in dragon ball super?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Why was a literal baby Gamera in Dragon Ball?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why the hell is literal Sun Wukong running around in Dragon Ball?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why the hell is a refrigerator and a cellphone villains of dragonball?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What the hell is the cast of Final Fantasy IX doing in Dragon Ball?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Y'all're dicks. Also I think Gamera was just a hold over from Dr Slump

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

zelah posted:

Y'all're dicks. Also I think Gamera was just a hold over from Dr Slump

Speaking of Dr. Slump, it's weird how Arale just disappears from the story after she defeats General Blue. Goku suggests that she compete in the next tournament, but nothing comes of it,

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Im reading the manga from the beginning for the first time.

This is an obvious statement thats been said a million times, but drat does this morph into a completely different story. Like, I feel like most of the other big long running shounen series stick to their original conceit even if they go on a million tangents. In an alternate universe Db was just a short 2 volume manga about perverts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

the culminator posted:

This is an obvious statement thats been said a million times, but drat does this morph into a completely different story. Like, I feel like most of the other big long running shounen series stick to their original conceit even if they go on a million tangents. In an alternate universe Db was just a short 2 volume manga about perverts.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn went farther from its original premise than Dragon Ball did, I'd say (and not in a good way in the long run).

And the Dragon Ball franchise still retains a lot of silly comedy elements (the most recent episode has Jaco being a pervert, for example, just in a more understated way than Roshi or Oolong), as well as some important plot and character elements from early on (the same episode has Bulma searching for Dragon Balls).

Edit: On the other hand, there are a lot of things that got dropped. Toriyama, by his own admission, forgot about Lunch (not that she was very interesting to begin with). Chi-Chi went from a cheerful and innocent martial artist to a nagging housewife. The idea of Earth as a weird place full of unknown dangers was gradually dropped as the characters gained access to things like rapid flight and Roshi's sister's divination, although areas of outer space came to fill a similar role in Super and even GT. Goku even stopped using the Flying Nimbus and Power Pole when unaided flight and energy blasts eclipsed them.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 18, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I cannot wait to play as all these new dudes in Xenoverse 2 or 3 or whatever game they manage to be in

Even Ballbear kinda owns

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how the Earth is still this kind of weird nexus of importance even in DBZ and Super. Time travelers keep appearing there, the emperor of the universe goes out of his way to try and destroy it (Twice), an ancient demon awakens there, Gods of Destruction fight over it etc.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I like how the Earth is still this kind of weird nexus of importance even in DBZ and Super. Time travelers keep appearing there, the emperor of the universe goes out of his way to try and destroy it (Twice), an ancient demon awakens there, Gods of Destruction fight over it etc.

Earth is important mainly because Goku and Kami are there, though. Trunks traveled back in time to save Goku from a disease, Frieza came to get revenge on Goku and/or use the Dragon Balls, Babidi came to drain energy from Goku and Vegeta, and Beerus came to fight Goku.

I suppose it is something of coincidence that Goku landed on the same planet as Kami did, which also happened to have inventors as smart as Bulma and Dr. Gero.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Silver2195 posted:

Katekyo Hitman Reborn went farther from its original premise than Dragon Ball did, I'd say (and not in a good way in the long run).

And the Dragon Ball franchise still retains a lot of silly comedy elements (the most recent episode has Jaco being a pervert, for example, just in a more understated way than Roshi or Oolong), as well as some important plot and character elements from early on (the same episode has Bulma searching for Dragon Balls).

Edit: On the other hand, there are a lot of things that got dropped. Toriyama, by his own admission, forgot about Lunch (not that she was very interesting to begin with). Chi-Chi went from a cheerful and innocent martial artist to a nagging housewife. The idea of Earth as a weird place full of unknown dangers was gradually dropped as the characters gained access to things like rapid flight and Roshi's sister's divination, although areas of outer space came to fill a similar role in Super and even GT. Goku even stopped using the Flying Nimbus and Power Pole when unaided flight and energy blasts eclipsed them.

The Power Pole at least was explicitly written out and had a "conclusion" to it, as the pillar to the Lookout.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

the culminator posted:

Dragonball is pretty much the definite example of why shonen series are always about fighting. Because when you make it all gags fans and editors keep pressuring you for fights and you make a million dollars by caving in.

mycot posted:

The Power Pole at least was explicitly written out and had a "conclusion" to it, as the pillar to the Lookout.

Yeah, except Goku has it on him in the third World Martial Arts Tournament.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

If anyone here likes tabletop, dragonball, and fanfic-y bs, I'm doing a little recruit over in trad games.

• Locked thread