Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Holy crap was Maya's Cloud Kill boosted (months old news). Pretty cool of gearbox to be balance tweaking this late in the game's life. Though to be fair, some of the changes and fixes had no business being overlooked for four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i cannot imagine doing UVHM solo with any character and expecting to keep my sanity

It's a lot easier than BL2 which in term wasn't nearly as difficult as people made it out to be.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've been getting back into Borderlands in a hard way so I finally have been giving UVHM a shot with the Maya I got up to level 50 back when the game first launched. I'm only level 57 so I've still got a ways to go and I know the game scales harder and harder the further you go, but so far it's not too bad. You have a lot of skills to work with with a character that high level, and I can only imagine it's a lot easier in Pre-Sequel due to:
1) characters being more powerful in general
2) being able to go deeper into more skill trees because they're not as point intensive
3) the game not really spawning as many enemies as it does in BL2

EDIT: also, yes, Maya's cloud kill is now insanely good. I'll frequently just hit someone with slag and just let the corrosion work its magic.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 15, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
UVHM in TPS is also less nuts than in BL2 from what I've gathered. Enemies get 2.5x HP instead of 4x and they don't naturally regenerate. And having to slag isn't even a thing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Slag would be great if it were an option.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

I like Cryo way, way more than Slag.

Freezing a dude in mid-air and watching as he majesticly drifts into something and shatters will never get old. :allears:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pope Guilty posted:

It was okay in the first play through of BL2, great in TVHM, and a royal pain in the rear end in UVHM. Mostly because it went from an option which you could use to absolutely wreck an enemy, to something that really helped to use on badass enemies and made their fights different, to an absolute requirement for every single fight.

Slag, switch to appropriate elemental weapon, shoot for 5 seconds, switch, re-slag, switch to appropriate elemental weapon, shoot for five seconds, etc got old really quickly. And that's not to mention the bosses that the effects didn't stick to.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

It was okay in the first play through of BL2, great in TVHM, and a royal pain in the rear end in UVHM. Mostly because it went from an option which you could use to absolutely wreck an enemy, to something that really helped to use on badass enemies and made their fights different, to an absolute requirement for every single fight.

Slag, switch to appropriate elemental weapon, shoot for 5 seconds, switch, re-slag, switch to appropriate elemental weapon, shoot for five seconds, etc got old really quickly. And that's not to mention the bosses that the effects didn't stick to.

This is a big reason why, when I got back into BL2, I started with Axton and Maya - they have inherent/ability-based ways to apply Slag so you don't have to faff about with weapon switcching for it.

In TPS's case, Cryo seems a lot better 'integrated' to the game as a whole.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also Cryo is just tons more fun to actually use.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I love watching enemies freeze and shatter, also ice puns

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Frozen enemies also take more damage, something like 200% more melee, explosive and critical damage. And unlike slag, cryo weapons still get a damage boost against frozen enemies, though not as much as other weapons do. So cryo really is a more fun version of slag.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

First couple of hours in uvhm have been some of the best I've had with the game.

Let's see if I'm as cheery once my bee is outclassed (though that is the only bit of high class gear I'm using. Trying not to lean on the Harold.)

P.s. I was under the, mistaken apparently, impression that loot midgets were guaranteed to drop legendaries in uvhm. I had 3 pop up in Frostburn, 1 dropped a legendary mod the rest nada.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It's not guaranteed but very, very likely.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

WarLocke posted:

This is a big reason why, when I got back into BL2, I started with Axton and Maya - they have inherent/ability-based ways to apply Slag so you don't have to faff about with weapon switcching for it.

Salvador is the only character I've been able to get through UVHM with because, that far into the game, you can stick so many points into Gunzerking skills that you never, ever, ever stop rampaging. Then you can simultaneously slag and inflict the appropriate elemental damage without having to keep switching weapons or waiting on a cool down timer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's cool that you skip the slow claptrap intro when starting uvhm. But why not tvhm?

You can't farm mission rewards in uvhm, can you? No legitimate way of getting multiples?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Rinkles posted:

It's cool that you skip the slow claptrap intro when starting uvhm. But why not tvhm?

You can't farm mission rewards in uvhm, can you? No legitimate way of getting multiples?

Only by restarting the story and repeating the mission that way. Obviously not a great idea if you're trying to get an end game weapon.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If you memorize what parts look like, you can complete the mission, pass a checkpoint, then quit and reload until you get the combo you want.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Right, you can do that to ensure you get the exact weapon you want, but that doesn't help you get duplicates of the same mission reward weapon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Solumin posted:

Only by restarting the story and repeating the mission that way. Obviously not a great idea if you're trying to get an end game weapon.

One of the many things gearbox maybe reconsiderers for BL3. Grinding is "bad", but if most of the dedicated playerbase is abusing the reward system, maybe let them do it without jumping through unintended hoops.

No. 1 on wishlist for changes in BL3: less no barrels

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kim jong-illin posted:

Salvador is the only character I've been able to get through UVHM with because, that far into the game, you can stick so many points into Gunzerking skills that you never, ever, ever stop rampaging. Then you can simultaneously slag and inflict the appropriate elemental damage without having to keep switching weapons or waiting on a cool down timer.

By the time you're in UVHM you should be able to get phaselock's cooldown so low it's basically never preventing you from applying slag to the next group of bad guys after you had your last one up for the group you just killed. Although it was weird playing other classes with way longer cooldowns on their action skills, so I can see where you're coming from.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

orcane posted:

By the time you're in UVHM you should be able to get phaselock's cooldown so low it's basically never preventing you from applying slag to the next group of bad guys after you had your last one up for the group you just killed. Although it was weird playing other classes with way longer cooldowns on their action skills, so I can see where you're coming from.

Yeah, Phaselock's cooldown is I think 13 seconds at base. And Maya can get 30-40% reduction from an ability in her left tree, even before you consider class mods. You can probably get it down to 6 or 8 seconds between uses.

And Maya actually has an entire second way to apply Slag, since the middle tree capstone is a melee override that throws a big Slag ball thing (I haven't used it but it's described as a big slow-moving projectile that slags anything it hits while also firing off slag beams at anything it passes near). That one has an 18-second cooldown IIRC and I don't think you'd want to devote a lot of your resources to trying to shorten it (if Maya even gets override cooldown class mods) though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I think my spec for maya had phaselock cooldown at 7 seconds. Never not be phaselocking.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

AirRaid posted:

I think my spec for maya had phaselock cooldown at 7 seconds. Never not be phaselocking.

I will say that playing Maya right after Axton was a big change. I was used to tossing a turret that lasted 25-30 seconds and then was down for around 40. So I'd take care in placing it, then use it as almost a decoy to flank dudes and such.

But with Maya and Phaselock it's a lot more 'active'. You need to be hitting that poo poo every time it comes up. It's not worse, just very different.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, Phaselock's cooldown is I think 13 seconds at base. And Maya can get 30-40% reduction from an ability in her left tree, even before you consider class mods. You can probably get it down to 6 or 8 seconds between uses.

And Maya actually has an entire second way to apply Slag, since the middle tree capstone is a melee override that throws a big Slag ball thing (I haven't used it but it's described as a big slow-moving projectile that slags anything it hits while also firing off slag beams at anything it passes near). That one has an 18-second cooldown IIRC and I don't think you'd want to devote a lot of your resources to trying to shorten it (if Maya even gets override cooldown class mods) though.

The giant melee slag ball (whose name completely escapes me -- Ruin, maybe?) is pretty great for applying slag. But be careful, there's no indication as to when it's ready to be used! I can't count the number of times my Maya friend slagged herself because she forgot about that skill.

In my opinion you shouldn't worry too much about applying slag with skills, since there are a number of weapons (e.g. the Slagga) and grenade mods (Magic Missile!) that lay down more slag than any of the skills can. Plus UVHM automatically raises your weapon swap speed, making it easier to switch weapons as necessary.
On the other hand I'm a filthy Zer0 player who has no slagging skills anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Scorn is awesome. I hadn't tried it before this run, and I was missing out. It feels like giving maya a second mini ability with a worse cool down.

On top of slagging it's a great utility power. It can shoot boss missiles, other projectiles, clear barrels, and is even usable in ffyl.

Might not be the best capstone (i'm not using it atm moment - reaper is too powerful) but not to be overlooked.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Slagging with abilities means you don't have to deal with keeping a slag weapon around and wasting one of your four slots.

I mean yeah if you don't have access to slag abilities (Salvador, Zer0, Kreig?) it's not a huge deal, but if you can free up all your weapons I don't see why you wouldn't want to. An 8-second Phaselock cooldown seems like it would be plenty fast enough to work as your primary Slag source. And Axton's turret applies it constantly on hit, there'd be some lulls when it's on cooldown but if it's up for 30+ seconds it's probably slagged a bunch of stuff for you to shoot anyway.

Gaige gets kind of hosed, because she can kind of ability-slag, but it's an ability in the tree nobody uses and I'm not sure it would actually work (shoot Deathtrap with an element to make him do that element damage - not sure if he would slag thing or just do 'slag damage')

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chaining Phaselocks with Maya made her my favorite character in BL2. Capture a dude, kill him, phaselock grabs another dude, rinse and repeat. Having it pull everyone toward it just made the whole process more efficient.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Chaining Phaselocks with Maya made her my favorite character in BL2. Capture a dude, kill him, phaselock grabs another dude, rinse and repeat. Having it pull everyone toward it just made the whole process more efficient.

Yeah, my Maya is still low-level but I just can't decide how I want to spend her points. I want poo poo from every tree, damnit.

Left tree makes phaselock suck dudes in, plus general phaselock buffs, quicker cooldown etc.
Right tree makes phaselock burn, corrode, electrocute, slag, and a bunch of other elemental poo poo (I hear the acid cloud ability is nuts)
Middle tree looks like it would be insane with all the percentage healing if you stacked health

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, my Maya is still low-level but I just can't decide how I want to spend her points. I want poo poo from every tree, damnit.

Left tree makes phaselock suck dudes in, plus general phaselock buffs, quicker cooldown etc.
Right tree makes phaselock burn, corrode, electrocute, slag, and a bunch of other elemental poo poo (I hear the acid cloud ability is nuts)
Middle tree looks like it would be insane with all the percentage healing if you stacked health

Little less relevant early on, but just try out poo poo (not especially revelational advice, I know). I used to spend too much time thinking about spending particular points and sticking to a tree instead of experimenting.

Like I really enjoyed faffing about with the middle tree recently, Life Tap in particular is very neat, but quickly noticed my dps took a dive. The tankier abilities mostly made up for that, and just changing up the playstyle was fun, but I could tell first hand what and why I liked and what I missed.

All the trees are viable, and being able to actually meaningfully mix and match in UVHM (because of the number of points) is so far the most appealing part of the mode.

Yeah the enemies are monsters, but so far the expanded skillset, better loot drops, and my prior experience leveling maya make up for it. Wished I tried it earlier but I was scared off with tales of bullet sponges and bullshit difficulty (not saying it won't get worse later on).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Gaige gets kind of hosed, because she can kind of ability-slag, but it's an ability in the tree nobody uses and I'm not sure it would actually work (shoot Deathtrap with an element to make him do that element damage - not sure if he would slag thing or just do 'slag damage')

One of the skills below that does actual slag damage (Interspersed Outburst or something).

I just used the Slagga, honestly with Close Enough I'd frequently not bother to switch weapons.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rinkles posted:

Scorn is awesome. I hadn't tried it before this run, and I was missing out. It feels like giving maya a second mini ability with a worse cool down.

On top of slagging it's a great utility power. It can shoot boss missiles, other projectiles, clear barrels, and is even usable in ffyl.

Might not be the best capstone (i'm not using it atm moment - reaper is too powerful) but not to be overlooked.

There used to be (maybe still is, dunno if they patched it) a glitch where if you were fast enough and not the game host you could fire off more than one scorn-ball.

Hard to do with a keyboard but if you were to do something silly like map melee to mouse wheel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNkvagWToI

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

There used to be (maybe still is, dunno if they patched it) a glitch where if you were fast enough and not the game host you could fire off more than one scorn-ball.

Hard to do with a keyboard but if you were to do something silly like map melee to mouse wheel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNkvagWToI

Haha, looks like on tvhm (?) that was enough to kill certain mobs

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

WarLocke posted:

As far as I can tell, Deathtrap element shenanigans only make him do elemental damage. I've never seen it trigger a DoT from any element, which is disappointing because shooting him with slag and having him go around slagging dudes for me would have been amazing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Slagging with abilities means you don't have to deal with keeping a slag weapon around and wasting one of your four slots.

I mean yeah if you don't have access to slag abilities (Salvador, Zer0, Kreig?) it's not a huge deal, but if you can free up all your weapons I don't see why you wouldn't want to. An 8-second Phaselock cooldown seems like it would be plenty fast enough to work as your primary Slag source. And Axton's turret applies it constantly on hit, there'd be some lulls when it's on cooldown but if it's up for 30+ seconds it's probably slagged a bunch of stuff for you to shoot anyway.

Krieg doesn't care about slag.

(There's a really awesome video of Krieg wearing no gear at all tearing through UVHM enemies, which unfortunately I cannot find.)

EDIT: FOUND IT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMnHqxoVgE&t=87s Includes the build, but I linked it to the exciting part.

Also I'm really glad this game is getting some attention here again, and also amused that this thread and the actual BL2 thread keep bleeding into each other.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 17, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

EDIT: Of course, a reinstall fixes all.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 17, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Slagga is great for Mania Krieg- you're already running straight at somebody to ax them something, might as well apply some slag on the way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If there had been more DLC for TPS I think I would prefer it over BL2 - the mechanics suit me better, cryo is superior to slag, and the enemies are generally less bullet-spongy. The lack of content is pretty dismaying, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Solumin posted:

Also I'm really glad this game is getting some attention here again, and also amused that this thread and the actual BL2 thread keep bleeding into each other.

Thought that thread was archived.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If there had been more DLC for TPS I think I would prefer it over BL2 - the mechanics suit me better, cryo is superior to slag, and the enemies are generally less bullet-spongy. The lack of content is pretty dismaying, though.

In general, I don't like TPS's map design and for whatever reason think the enemies are less fun. Plus the writing.

Classes are more interesting, however, and jetpacks are pretty great (though I didn't actually miss them as much as I expected going back to BL2). Luneshines were a bit of a letdown (not enough variety, craziness and too rare, imo).

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Nope, it's still limping along these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I got back into BL2 recently and I think I've been single-handed keeping the other thread out of archives. :v:

quote:

In general, I don't like TPS's map design and for whatever reason think the enemies are less fun. Plus the writing.

I wouldn't say map design, but the limited area types (everything is either some variation of moon surface, or hallway interiors) got to me after a while. The lack of enemy variety and the way no more than 4-5 dudes ever spawn at once was another big downer.

Although the jet pack stuff let the maps be much more vertical, which didn't always work out. Or maybe it was just me, the sequence on Helios where you're jumping around the imcomplete portion with bottomless pits everywhere gave me serious vertigo.

quote:

Classes are more interesting, however, and jetpacks are pretty great (though I didn't actually miss them as much as I expected going back to BL2). Luneshines were a bit of a letdown (not enough variety, craziness and too rare, imo).

Going back to BL2 I really wished that Eridium dropped as often as Moonstones. And the Grinder. And I want a patch to swap Slag for Cryo. And I miss all the classes.

Oz Kits were a let-down compared to Relics IMO though, their bonuses just seemed too situational or less-useful in comparison to the ones Relics had.

• Locked thread