Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Mr. Despair posted:

that said drat, I've seen drunk physics majors who have never bowled before at least be able to hit the pins, it's not that hard!

Well there's your problem. Of course physics majors can bowl. Annie's been cheating on her physics homework for so long, she doesn't understand things like collisions, friction, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mr. Despair posted:

these people are monsters, and there's no way she's getting double strikes in street shoes (although her form looks good, so maybe Janet just has really, really rad bowling boots).

I would guess Janet's super archer powers extend to bowling. She could probably bowl a perfect game in heels.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Can someone recap me on all the kids supposed powers are? These are the kids from the weird paranormal dorm, right? Or am I confusing this scenario with Surma's.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Malpais Legate posted:

Can someone recap me on all the kids supposed powers are? These are the kids from the weird paranormal dorm, right? Or am I confusing this scenario with Surma's.
Surma and Anja were originally placed in Chester, the weirdo superpowers house. Later, they were moved to Queslett, which used to be the hardcore anti-messing-around-with-powers house.

Annie & Co. are all in Queslett, which has calmed down a lot, and everyone there has some sort of special gift. We don't know what all of them are. Annie is the Human Torch, Janet is Green Arrow, Paz is Dr. Doolittle, Jack is techno-whiz/Literal Spider Man, Kat is robo-goddess, and that's about all we know for now.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 16, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't forget about Smitface and Parley.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't remember the stuff about Janet's abilities. Does anyone have a link to the chapter?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

EmmyOk posted:

I don't remember the stuff about Janet's abilities. Does anyone have a link to the chapter?

Here's the page.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Surma and Anja were originally placed in Chester, the weirdo superpowers house. Later, they were moved to Queslett, which used to be the hardcore anti-messing-around-with-powers house.

Annie & Co. are all in Queslett, which has calmed down a lot, and everyone there has some sort of special gift. We don't know what all of them are. Annie is the Human Torch, Janet is Green Arrow, Paz is Dr. Doolittle, Jack is techno-whiz/Literal Spider Man, Kat is robo-goddess, and that's about all we know for now.

We don't know if their gifts extend to the supernatural, but we do know Margo is a bit of an artist and John is a musician. We don't know much about them besides that, and given that we knew Paz liked animals long before we knew she could talk to them, I wouldn't be surprised if they did have super art powers.

Also, Smitty is in the same house, but Parley is not. I can't remember if that's only because Parley is older and the house system changes at some point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wittgen posted:

We don't know if their gifts extend to the supernatural, but we do know Margo is a bit of an artist and John is a musician. We don't know much about them besides that, and given that we knew Paz liked animals long before we knew she could talk to them, I wouldn't be surprised if they did have super art powers.

His guitar powers are life changing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Also, Smitty is in the same house, but Parley is not. I can't remember if that's only because Parley is older and the house system changes at some point.

Parley also didn't get any powers until she was in year 11. Maybe Thornhill is for normals.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

His guitar powers are life changing.

I went back to check the page, and now I can't help but think that John dies in 20 years. Bummer.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Janet Steadman

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
drat, I can't hit the loving pins I WILL BURN EVERYONE IN THE WORLD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wittgen posted:

I went back to check the page, and now I can't help but think that John dies in 20 years. Bummer.

It's more likely they broke up and moved on, like the vast majority of high school couples. But memories stay with you forever.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Lurdiak posted:

Parley is Nightcrawler and Smitty is... Hm... Well, Smitty is just boring and super organised. I actually wonder if his powers can go in reverse. Like, he can make everything happen perfectly for himself, so could he reverse that and royally screw other people over?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His ruining of the sim suggests he doesn't really have control over it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's more likely they broke up and moved on, like the vast majority of high school couples. But memories stay with you forever.

She's sobbing into her hands thinking about when she first met him while wearing a wedding ring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wittgen posted:

She's sobbing into her hands thinking about when she first met him while wearing a wedding ring.

Looks like she's dreaming to me. And it's possible to cry with emotions other than sadness.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nathilus posted:

drat, I can't hit the loving pins I WILL BURN EVERYONE IN THE WORLD.
How to bowl the fire elemental way.

Set ball on fire.
Hurl fire/melted bowling ball combo at pins.
Strike!
(optional)Repeat methodically for each lane

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
errbody gon' die

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lurdiak posted:

I forgot Smitty was in Queslett. :geno:

I was mostly focusing on Annie's class, though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

When the first time I went bowling in forever a year or so ago, I discovered that the lanes are oiled. Ask me how.

Hah, I did this as a kid too. One of the balls had gotten stuck in the return down the far end, so I figured I'd help everyone out and go bring it back :v:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

speaking as a former bowling alley mechanic, that oil is the bane of my existence. It's needed to get the balls to run properly down the lane and strike the pins the way bowlers expect them to after a throw. It makes hooks possible. However, it also gums up literally everything else about those machines, coats the balls and transfers to every surface they touch. And if a bowler steps on the lane and tracks the oil back onto the approach, then I gotta go out there with a can of aerosol mineral spirits and spray and scrub the oil away before the wood swells. Oiling the lanes is a HUGE hassle, even with the mostly-fully-automatic machine, and I could literally go on for days about the crotchety old league bowlers and their disdain for my work.

I'm really glad I don't work in a bowling alley anymore.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well we know what Spender would say

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 16, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lurdiak posted:

Looks like she's dreaming to me.

This seems like a rather outlandish interpretation of the image titled margodream.jpg

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1633

renard with the deep insights

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
So began the legend of Antimony Carver, Pro Bowling Pin Pusher.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Thanks Ren, real helpful

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Reynardine is one hell of a coach.

I love that I can tell he's not just being a dick.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well I was half right.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
We are all reminded, again, that lots of random poo poo is supposed to be on fire in the world of Gunnerkrigg Court, and no one will look twice over it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The fox-dog is trying to explain how to bowl better. :3:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Obviously Annie just needs to git gud.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I like how everybody is doing the "Oh, Carver set everything on fire again! So funny" uncomfortable laugh.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The reference to using the ball as your hand to push them over makes me think we're about to see attempted ethereal cheating. Which goes awry when fire Annie instead makes the pins explode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is using your telekinetic abilities to strike the pins with the ball really cheating?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Jackard posted:

Is using your telekinetic abilities to strike the pins with the ball really cheating?

There's nothing in the rulebook that says a dogfox-wolf can't play basketball!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Shut up, tutorial wolf.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I don't know about you guys, but I would totally play a video game about Gunnerkrigg Court super-bowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Renard is gonna have Annie train her abilities through bowling

Then she will start bowling fireballs in combat